Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

From a pub in Ayr. Being said here Shankland has signed for us. 

Don't put your shirt on it but on Somerset Road end Facebook apparently. I'm taking no responsibility. 

Good info. What you doing in Ayr aside from scouting info? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bit personal on a football forum is it no? 

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I live in Ayr.

Good stuff. 

Been a while since I've been but good place. 

13 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Mulraney has shown more than enough to suggest he is good enough.  Hardly Leveins biggest mistake.  

Agreed. Had a really strong end to the season and hopefully can deliver consistently good performances next season. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

7 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I live in Ayr.

? Pretty good reason! 

14 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Bit personal on a football forum is it no? 

Neither party seemed overly offended or bothered by it. Did it piss you off?

Inch Hearts
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Neither party seemed overly offended or bothered by it. Did it piss you off?

Not at all, pretty creepy question though don’t you think? 

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Not at all, pretty creepy question though don’t you think? 

Not really. Neither did the two posters in the discussion either. Found it a bit weirder that you were wanting to take offence on someone else’s behalf. 

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not really. Neither did the two posters in the discussion either. Found it a bit weirder that you were wanting to take offence on someone else’s behalf. 

Lol.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
38 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Mulraney has shown more than enough to suggest he is good enough.  Hardly Leveins biggest mistake.  

A couple of good games is encouraging but a player off-form moving to a higher league was unlikely to hit the ground running. We did have Mitchell so you're correct I suppose. 

tartofmidlothian
Just now, bazman said:

Sunderland fans on Twitter saying the exact same story

What, to us or them?

A_A wehatethehibs
39 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

From a pub in Ayr. Being said here Shankland has signed for us. 

Don't put your shirt on it but on Somerset Road end Facebook apparently. I'm taking no responsibility. 

A smart lad if he’s dodged Sunderland to sign for Hearts. When you look at the footballing reasons, Hearts squad is perfectly built for a hungry striker to come in. Play at packed Tynecastle alongside Uche, Naismith and Maclean. Very experienced manager and top coaches vs young Jack Ross who will be sacked by Christmas if Sunderland are not top of the league, 15k in a 40k ground 

It's another punt in my opinion. A fairly big one at that. If he does sign, fingers crossed he's a good one. 

If we've managed to sign him up, massive kudos to Levein. He's exactly the sort of player we should be going for. Reckon he could learn a shitload from Naismith as well. 

pettigrewsstylist
On 15/06/2019 at 01:04, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Attackers that pose a goal threat is what we need. Levein's biggest mistake was thinking Mulraney and Morrison were good enough. Naismith getting injured was always going to cause us huge problems. Looking at players like Shankland is a good sign. Sign some players with some technical ability would be great too.

Inagine where we would have been if Haring had played CB and chipped in with fraction or none of his goals. CL dodged a massive bullet there and got lucky it seems.

pettigrewsstylist
31 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

It's another punt in my opinion. A fairly big one at that. If he does sign, fingers crossed he's a good one. 

It may or may not work out. He may struggle with step up, but punt?

Its all down to definitions i suppose, but if he does come to us its based on his last 2 yrs performance as opposed to a punt surely?

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good stuff. 

Been a while since I've been but good place. 

?. Good backtrack. Well played ??

8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

It may or may not work out. He may struggle with step up, but punt?

Its all down to definitions i suppose, but if he does come to us its based on his last 2 yrs performance as opposed to a punt surely?

He's had a decent last 2 years but at a substantially lower level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy that we're trying to get him, a club our size has to take gambles in the market. And you would hope its a fairly low risk one money wise. It's a £10 each way on a 50-1 shot that you've had a tip about. It's not going to break the bank, it might prove to be a shrewd investment, but I'm not expecting a great return. 

Edited by Normthebarman

CloustonHMFC
53 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

What, to us or them?

To them. A few claiming it’s a done deal and will

be announced when he’s back from holiday.

just goes to show that most fans know absolutely **** all, from all teams. 

StevenNaismith

Last I heard when we looked at him previously was that we didn’t think his fitness levels would cope with the step up to the Premiership. Hopefully if this is true then any worries about that are no longer as the last thing we need is another body not playing due to being unfit.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

Last I heard when we looked at him previously was that we didn’t think his fitness levels would cope with the step up to the Premiership. Hopefully if this is true then any worries about that are no longer as the last thing we need is another body not playing due to being unfit.

Hes a personal trainer.

1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

He had worked as a personal trainer part time whilst at Ayr so fitness vastly improved. Contract has to be worth enough to give that up

3 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Could be unfit but still twice as fast as Olly "towing a caravan" Lee

39 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Inagine where we would have been if Haring had played CB and chipped in with fraction or none of his goals. CL dodged a massive bullet there and got lucky it seems.

That was shrewd of Levein to identify PH's MF potential.

The thread, however, is about Shankland before you manage to turn into yet another CL witch hunt.

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

How am I taking offence in any way? Some random of a football board asks another random why they are in a place.  It’s pretty creepy.  It’s like me asking you what kind of shoes you have.  

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

We offered him a contract last season.  He declined and stayed with Ayr to play first team (the irony when he was better than anything we had last season). The boy has it.  

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

How am I taking offence in any way? Some random of a football board asks another random why they are in a place.  It’s pretty creepy.  It’s like me asking you what kind of shoes you have.  

I didn't take any offence about being asked why I was in Ayr. I've nothing to hide on that front and I've mentioned before that I often go to watch Ayr, I'm not keen on being described as a 'random' though. I'm quite well known on kickback.

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hes a personal trainer.

Doesn't mean he's fit just that he's meant to be good at helping others get fit.

Assuming this proves correct, he's just like most other signings, a bit of a gamble.  All we can ask is that he gives of his best.  Hopefully that will make him a really good signing.

If he comes.

pettigrewsstylist
23 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That was shrewd of Levein to identify PH's MF potential.

The thread, however, is about Shankland before you manage to turn into yet another CL witch hunt.

I was responding to anothers post regarding lack of goal threat from midfield primarily - so PH relevant. You failed to copy that bit across. 

Witchunt? Gies peace!

9 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I was responding to anothers post regarding lack of goal threat from midfield primarily - so PH relevant. You failed to copy that bit across. 

Witchunt? Gies peace!

Aye, of course you were.

I'm sure everyone will be able to see how converting a CD into a MF has much connection with a scoring forward like Shankland.

Inch Hearts
34 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I didn't take any offence about being asked why I was in Ayr. I've nothing to hide on that front and I've mentioned before that I often go to watch Ayr, I'm not keen on being described as a 'random' though. I'm quite well known on kickback.

No bother pal.  I’ve know idea of who you are personally so a random for me as is everyone else I’ve never met from here.  Don’t take it erm personally.

His Instagram shows he’s just back from Dubai. So we might hear something in the next few days.

Bazzas right boot

Shankland is in no way a punt, a punt is generally a complete unkown player. 

Shankland is exactly what we should be after, a young goal scorer who was exceptional in the league below, as a club we can't go on much else. 

Can he step up- mentality, quality and fitness wise? No body knows until he steps up.... 

Thought Police
24 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Shankland has the talent but does he have the mentality?

Let’s boo him after two games and find out

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Two games? That's generous. We'd need to slate him on here for a few weeks first tho?

Edited by Pagey
change

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Most people will form their opinion by 755 of the first match 

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Shankland is in no way a punt, a punt is generally a complete unkown player. 

Shankland is exactly what we should be after, a young goal scorer who was exceptional in the league below, as a club we can't go on much else. 

Can he step up- mentality, quality and fitness wise? No body knows until he steps up.... 

I think after Dennis Wyness and Gavin Reilly we could still regard Shankland of a punt to some degree.

Parking rumours you have to think we are second favourites to sign him. Hope we do though, we have not had a natural goalscorer for ages and he is a good age. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Jodami said:

Parking rumours you have to think we are second favourites to sign him. Hope we do though, we have not had a natural goalscorer for ages and he is a good age. 

Naismith, Lafferty, Walker, Zeefuick, even Paterson could be regarded as a natural goalscorer given his strike rate from right back.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think after Dennis Wyness and Gavin Reilly we could still regard Shankland of a punt to some degree.

He's a risk, but imo not a punt. 

If we aren't going to go for a young guy that's scored over 50 goals in two seasons in the division below, who are we going for? 

I don't know if he'll be a success or not, but he's the tyle of player we should be getting or at least going for. 

A punt imo is usually a foreign guy or a guy from a few leagues below.  Stockton, Martin, even Uche and the likes. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He's a risk, but imo not a punt. 

If we aren't going to go for a young guy that's scored over 50 goals in two seasons in the division below, who ate we going for? 

I don't know if he'll be a success or not, but he's the tyoe of player we should be getting or at least going for. 

A punt imo is usually a foreign guy or a guy from a few leagues below.  Stockton, Martin, even Uche and the likes. 

I don't think there is a difference. You have a punt at the bookies and the risk is that you don't get your money back. We have a punt on a player like Shankland, who didn't cut it at Aberdeen, the risk is that he doesn't make it at Hearts either. Think for us the only signings that couldn't be described as a 'punt' are Berra / Naismith type arrivals.