Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

portobellojambo1

I haven't got a clue if Shankland wants to stay in Scotland or move down to England. If money was a factor it would be reasonable to assume he would be most likely to consider any offer from down South. However, from the little bits I've read online recently it seems regular game time is more important to him than the money on offer. So there is no harm in us letting his agent know that Tynecastle is an option, then let the player decide where he sees his future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Captain Sausage

If we are looking at lower league players with good scoring records, my vote goes for Mitch Meggison at Cove. 39 in 44. Boy just needs a second/third/fourth chance. 

::troll::

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don't actually recall either as being a prolific striker.

You are talking about the quality of lower league signings he generally and in any event they both scored more or as many as our strikers of the time in any event.

Is scoring goals limited to the no. 9 shirt?

11 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Lafferty was several notches above Juanma. 

As Kila mentioned if Juanma had focused on himself more he could easily have been as good as Lafferty. 

Paterson didn't really care for him 

Yet Juanma and Lafferty both scored the same number of league goals in a season.

This is a pretty simple and basic argument  that you aren’t addressing.

Edited by Jammy T

9 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

In defence of Reilly that was a very tough championship with us Hibs & Rangers. Yes the Championship is a tough league but it doesn’t have 3 of the biggest clubs in the country now

Reilly has had several seasons in the Championship and never got anything like the same goal return.

1 hour ago, HMFC86 said:

Looking like he’s Sunderland bound according to this 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/lawrence-shankland-set-for-big-move-after-sunderland-reportedly-offer-him-a-contract/

although a lot of ifs and maybes in the article itself 

Hard to believe Jack Ross is still in charge of Sunderland after failing to get them out of the English third tier. Don't know much about shankland except for his goal record which reminds me of Denis Wyness. We need a goal scorer as a priority though and he could be the one.

2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

You are talking about the quality of lower league signings he generally and in any event they both scored more or as many as our strikers of the time in any event.

Is scoring goals limited to the no. 9 shirt?

No, I was talking about successful strikers in the lower divisions who failed with us.

Hartley and Cameron had previous experience in the top division but apart from that were not out-and-out strikers.

If Shankland went to Sunderland he would last a season if they’re promoted or not imo.

If they don’t go up he’ll get binned for not scoring the goals JR thought he would......and if they do get promotion he’ll be bumped for a multi million pound signing as they try and buy themselves another promotion.

He’ll make good money either way though.

Edited by DH1986

Libertarian
20 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If Shankland went to Sunderland he would last a season if they’re promoted or not imo.

If they don’t go up he’ll get binned for not scoring the goals JR thought he would......and if they do get promotion he’ll be bumped for a multi million pound signing as they try and buy themselves another promotion.

He’ll make good money either way though.

If Sunderland don't get off to a good start Jack Ross could be the 1st managerial casualty of the new season. To be honest I'm surprised that Sunderland didn't bin him after failing to go up last season. A club of Sunderland's size should walk the English 1st Division.

4 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

If Sunderland don't get off to a good start Jack Ross could be the 1st managerial casualty of the new season. To be honest I'm surprised that Sunderland didn't bin him after failing to go up last season. A club of Sunderland's size should walk the English 1st Division.

I agree.

Shankland and his agent need to take this into consideration.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

If it's purely cash then he goes down South.

If it's to play and progress his career and potentially get a big move later, then it's Hearts. 

If he is vaguely intelligent then it's Hearts.

Exactly. He just needs to take a look at guys like Walker and Cummings to realise it’s about taking his time.

Inch Hearts
24 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

At the same time he went into a basket case who suffered double relegation, had to do a mass clear out and reduce wage budget then face clubs who had big momentum going into the season while it was a whole new team put together from Ross.  I’m surprised they didn’t go up though. 

upgotheheads

10 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

At the same time he went into a basket case who suffered double relegation, had to do a mass clear out and reduce wage budget then face clubs who had big momentum going into the season while it was a whole new team put together from Ross.  I’m surprised they didn’t go up though. 

Below the top 7 or 8 clubs in The Premiership  English football is a cut-throat business. Huge clubs  with massive supports can't break back into the Premiership and can be cut adrift for decades. Celtic and particularly Sevco should be taking note.

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Hard to believe Jack Ross is still in charge of Sunderland after failing to get them out of the English third tier. Don't know much about shankland except for his goal record which reminds me of Denis Wyness. We need a goal scorer as a priority though and he could be the one.

Both Pompey and Sundrawland shot themselves in the foot getting to that Mickey Mouse cup final.

Doubt they'll be so keen to get there next season

4 hours ago, EIEIO said:

If Ross continues to make this level of signing I can’t see him lasting the season. 

gorgieheart
22 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s Uche’s Christian name and middle name, them Uche ?

ah, its all clear now...  lol

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

ah, its all clear now...  lol

Sorry, I had just googled Uche and saw his full name. Doesn’t look like a Karl to me ??‍♂️.

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

If Ross continues to make this level of signing I can’t see him lasting the season. 

He seems to be trolling our scouting regime, if he keeps that up he will get sacked ??.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

If it's to play and progress his career and potentially get a big move later, then it's Hearts. 

If he listens to his agent he’s off down South, back to us on loan in January?

Good prospect but no way his record guarantees he will score down there or even start many games. He needs to develop more and at Hearts he would do that.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Shanklands ‘issues’ at Aberdeen were fitness related, think Stevie Fulton!

Thinking Stevie Fulton is my "hawd the Cork" go to. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree, but a three year deal makes you a millionaire. 

Hearts, he could stall and be at Ayr again in a season or two and barely richer. 

If he fails at Sunderland, he's comfortable, if not set up for life. 

Also depends on the difference of cash I feel. 

Total example figures, but if 

A Club offerers£3k a week, higher level, better chance of caps, chance of a big move later, more chance of football, cup runs, possibly in Europe, stay with friends / family, develope more. 

V

£5k a week but a sub. 

You might take option a. 

If the options are the same but let's say the money is 

£1.5k  v£6/8k

You'd take the £6/8k and sitting on your arse option. 

For arguments sake both are 3 years deals. 

Sets you up. 

Likely a bigger signing on fee  in the higher wage option as well and relative to the wage gap. 

Hypothetical options but you can see the dilemma and why most go for the money as I can see the differences being quite big in a lot of cases. 

You'd be daft not to. 

It also forces club's like us to offer more than we maybe want to, so we pull out. 

Shite all round for football, tho. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

I think he’ll end up here if we’re in for him. I remember reading an article last year when he signed for Ayr saying that money doesn’t buy happiness. This is all I’m basing my guess on of course ?

TyphoonJambo
20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hearts, he could stall and be at Ayr again in a season or two and barely richer. 

A Club offerers£3k a week, higher level, better chance of caps, chance of a big move later, more chance of football, cup runs, possibly in Europe, stay with friends / family, develope more. 

V

£5k a week but a sub. 

You might take option a. 

£1.5k  v£6/8k

Sets you up. 

Likely a bigger signing on fee  in the higher wage option as well and relative to the wage gap. 

Hypothetical options but you can see the dilemma and why most go for the money as I can see the differences being quite big in a lot of cases. 

You'd be daft not to. 

It also forces club's like us to offer more than we maybe want to, so we pull out. 

So, effectively were talking about the Naismith option verses the Martin option. I guess at such a young age its easier for him to take the Martin one. Even if hes crap and doesn't get a game  the cash is king. Or if he wants to play football, develop a career, look at the long term picture, be a man of integrity, he takes the Naismith  route where short term cash is not the be all and end all.

Tough one for a young guy, easy for an older pro like Naisy.  As a wise man once said "only the rich can afford morals" Personally, I wouldn't judge hi if he goes to Sunderland. 

21 hours ago, OTT said:

Sunderlands one of those opportunities that don't come along often. That said, its doubtful he'll be first, second or even third choice there. We might be able to match Sunderlands offer and be able to bump him into being a starter most weeks depending on his form. 

I'm biased but I think if he has confidence in his abilities he'd be better using us as a stop over before heading south. If he joins us and hits 15+ goals he'll get a good move down south the following year. More than likely, if he heads direct to Sunderland he'll be lucky to be a bench warmer. Scotland need a striker, he could be leading the line for Steve Clarke if he makes the right decision this summer. 

It’s a Sevco “opportunity”. It means **** all. Being a Sunderland player when they are in L1 means absolutely **** all. ?

28 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

V

£5k a week but a sub. 

You might take option a. 

£1.5k  v£6/8k

Sets you up. 

You'd be daft not to. 

Pretty much sums it up. It's a very short career for football players,  bang average footballers in league one and two can become millionaires in a 10-15 year career. Players are still involved on a daily basis and will settle for being a sub/squad player and picking up the money which i can understand. Guess it comes down to a players desire and belief in himself from what and where he wants to go in the game 6/8k a week for 3 years is life changing 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Please explain and prove that someone who scored 13 goals in the league and wasn’t a team player was a ‘notch above’ a player that scored 13 goals in the league and wasn’t a team player where the former was in a team that finished 3rd and the other in one that finished 6th?

I think Lafferty has had a better career by a good distance even through his troubles. 

Juanma just hasn't. 

Explanation not really required 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Valid points well made, Olly.

I think the key for us is try to get to that £5/7k average, with that money folk might spurn the higher wage of say £8-£12k, but even then, if we pay that it would be our top earners and we'd be silly to throw that cash at such a huge risk like Shankland, on Souttar, Naismith, players that have proven themselves and getting a new deal not so much, but a young un proven lower league goalscorer, we'll lose out 9/10 as an English club can pay £10k a week for a gamble, in fact several gambles. 

Shame all round as it clearly stalls progression if they aren't quite good enough straight away. 

Celtic will do it as well, guys like Morgan, Allan, maybe even Hayes and GMS are recentis examples. Christie as well at the start, loaned for two seasons. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I see the Hun have signed Greg Stewart as a bench warmer. 

Never mind, it means nobody else can have him. 

The ersecheeks are a poisonous pair, for sure..

Yip, Jones as well Likley. 

The Dundee boy will Likley be canned as well. 

Imagine us with or anyone with 5/6 of thier best players and 

Jones

Stewart 

Shankland 

Allan

Shinnie 

Hayes 

Kept big John in goal. 

Even a Mcnulty / Lafferty thrown in there as well. 

These sorts of players. 

No chance tho, anything over £7/8k I reckon, 3 year deal and folk would rather be a bench warmer over playing and earning half or 1/3 of that, and tbh who can blame them. 

Walker as well for us recently. 

Careers generally all stall or completely die. 

Rangers can't actually afford to either, more annoying. 

In fact, can Sunderland, probably about £100m in debt but can out bid solvent clubs. 

Farce. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

2 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Jones will win more penalties for Rangers than score goals

He won't play, nowhere near good enough for them.

Feeling wanted and having a clear place in the squad can always be a good selling point, especially for a young player with more options than fingers. 

If Levein is genuinely keen, hopefully he can get in a room with the lad and his agent and sell him on that. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I see the Hun have signed Greg Stewart as a bench warmer. 

Never mind, it means nobody else can have him. 

The ersecheeks are a poisonous pair, for sure..

Yeah they asset strip domestic opposition therefore even less chance of a competitive match or challenge and they wonder why they can't get anywhere in Europe

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Shanklands ‘issues’ at Aberdeen were fitness related, think Stevie Fulton!

Let's hope if he signs we don't let him go to the far east for a wee break before the season starts then!

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah they asset strip domestic opposition therefore even less chance of a competitive match or challenge and they wonder why they can't get anywhere in Europe

Yep and then have the cheek to blame the rest of the league for not being competitive enough for said failings in Europe! The gruesome twosome having been doing it for years.

pettigrewsstylist
On 12/06/2019 at 17:33, Olly Lee's left boot said:

This really does show how tough it is to get a striker  tho and imo how tough it will be to replace someone like Djoum 

Shankland and Mcgennis are hardly great players and are attractive for different reasons to us, but both will Likley have higher paid options than us if we are interested. 

We'll be lucky to get either. 

How much is Djoum on? I have no idea tbh.

8 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Ross will be doing well to last until October. Unless they make an excellent start, top 2 in the league, then he will be gone. A lot of supporter unrest at the end of last season around team selections and results. 

HEARTS FOREVER
52 minutes ago, jim747 said:

Shankland must be worth the gamble, will score more goals than Vanecek ;)

Correct

Mr Elwood P
21 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Not sure he would be guaranteed game time at Hearts either. Naismith and Uche will start every game (if fit) and we will bring in another striker as well. Could be on the Hearts bench for £2-3k p/w instead of the Sunderland bench for £5/10k p/w.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

He could be an astute signing. According to Ian McCall, he is more than just a penalty box striker.

I hope we get him, but signings of this type are always a risk. 

We need 4 strikers in the squad, 2 right wingers & 2 left wingers, 3/4 offensive midfielders, 2 strong aggressive 

ball winning midfielders,  2 RB’s,  2 LB’s, 4 centre backs and 3 goalkeepers. Now in the squad you have to look 

at last seasons players who are still under contract and the youngsters you recon can make the step up into the first team and do a good job. Then bring in the right players to add to the positions that we are short of. It would be interesting for our fans 

to try putting a squad together. I recon on a first team squad of 24 to 25.

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

He could be an astute signing. According to Ian McCall, he is more than just a penalty box striker.

I hope we get him, but signings of this type are always a risk. 

He will need to be more than a penalty box striker, our play does not suit a penalty box striker.

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We need 4 strikers in the squad, 2 right wingers & 2 left wingers, 3/4 offensive midfielders, 2 strong aggressive 

ball winning midfielders,  2 RB’s,  2 LB’s, 4 centre backs and 3 goalkeepers. Now in the squad you have to look 

at last seasons players who are still under contract and the youngsters you recon can make the step up into the first team and do a good job. Then bring in the right players to add to the positions that we are short of. It would be interesting for our fans 

to try putting a squad together. I recon on a first team squad of 24 to 25.

We won't have 4 wingers in the squad. We rarely have more than 3 out and out wingers, and even then at least one can play more centrally.

I can only remember the Championship season as one when we regularly played two wingers in Nicolson and Walker, plus King coming in. In 2012 we had Driver, Temps and Suso.

More likely we'll sign players who can play wide midfield and wing back, or attacking FB, with maybe one out and out specialist winger if we can find one. In the modern game, the best wingers are full backs. I'd love us to find another Tosh McKinlay or Paterson.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Attackers that pose a goal threat is what we need. Levein's biggest mistake was thinking Mulraney and Morrison were good enough. Naismith getting injured was always going to cause us huge problems. Looking at players like Shankland is a good sign. Sign some players with some technical ability would be great too.

upgotheheads

From a pub in Ayr. Being said here Shankland has signed for us. 

Don't put your shirt on it but on Somerset Road end Facebook apparently. I'm taking no responsibility. 

davemclaren
On 13/06/2019 at 00:12, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Why do we need Shankland when we have Wighton................I’ll get my coat.

Drinking? ??

Brighton Jambo
On 15/06/2019 at 01:04, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Attackers that pose a goal threat is what we need. Levein's biggest mistake was thinking Mulraney and Morrison were good enough. Naismith getting injured was always going to cause us huge problems. Looking at players like Shankland is a good sign. Sign some players with some technical ability would be great too.

Mulraney has shown more than enough to suggest he is good enough.  Hardly Leveins biggest mistake.  

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Ahhh, Facebook.

Where reality goes to die. 

Via here obviously.