Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If Shankland is cheap, he’s worth a Gavin Reilly style punt as that’s what he’d be. Haven’t seen him play so have no idea what he’d bring to the team. We’ve seen prolific strikers at a lower level fail to step up lots of times. Cummings being a good example.

Can’t help but think if he had genuine quality someone would have come up with the fee while he was under contract.

Or Aberdeen would have kept him. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Controversial but I personally would take Cummings for 3 reasons:

1 For the seethe. The boy is a nutter, so he would probably go for number 51 on his shirt just for a laugh 

2 I think he would bag a hatful of goals playing alongside Uche and Naismith

3 It would stop Hibs or any other Scottish side from signing him and him scoring another 10 or 20 goals against us. 

He is definitely too much of a chav for levein or Budge though, and a lot of the fans. He would shortly be in the papers for some antics. We wouldn’t want a goalscoring ned at Hearts, lord no gosh no we can’t have that. We need good guys, good respectable pro (who barely scores 3 goals a season)

Fair enough but he only scored 2 goals in 15 games for a free scoring Rangers team, I’m not sure if he would be as free scoring as he was at Hibs in the Championship. Shankland has also out scored him comfortably at the level and might not divide the fans opinion as much.

Hackney Hearts
42 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He scored 18 league goals in the first half of the season, 6 in the second.

He missed 5 games in the second half of the season.

So it was 18 goals from 18 games, then 6 from 13.

Fair enough, his rate dropped from brilliant to good - but he was recovering from injury.

He might not make the step up, who knows - but he did score 4 in 3 games against Ross County - who are in the same league as us now.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

He's not a striker.

Neither was Callum Paterson

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Correct. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

The Internet

I'm neither here nor there on Shankland but I do know that you'd have been hard pushed to find a negative word on him on here 3-6 months ago. Now that we've been linked... 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Correct. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

He ended up being a striker option

Think he's even started games up front for Cardiff as well

Edited by Maroon Sailor

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Am being serious here, would rather sign Cumdog, scouts that have watched Shankland second half of past season said he was horrendous, games I watched he was subbed plus weight issues in past 

Cummings is precisely what we don't need

merseyjambo
2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

If you want to try and get a prolific striker and not pay zillions where do you think you'll get one ? 

If he was a proven goalscorer at our level we couldn't afford him !

Think if you reread your post it's possible you'll spot a few flaws in your own logic 

2 hours ago, Sid said:

We don’t have the finances to buy proven scorers at a “higher level” unless a fluke such as Naismith and Lafferty. 

I would love us to be able to do so. We did get Livi captain so think that was a coup but we need to be a bit realistic in who we might be able to sign. We have a chance with Shankland offering him game time and exposure - if successful, the next move for him could be a big one. For us and him. Sunderland/Rangers will offer immediate financial gain but he may not get the same exposure and may miss out on a real big move. 

I would be willing to give him a try. 

No one is talking about spending big. How much did Hibs pay for Kamberi or Aberdeen for Cosgrove or Killie for Brophy. 

Shankland is 23 years old and hasn’t scored regularly at a level above Scottish Championship. 

Yes we need to take a chance but Shankland in my opinion is not worth the risk. For me, file under Wyness, Reilly or Cummins. Not a fan but I’d rather have Magennis  and Keena when he returns from injury. 

There are young guys that are being released by Championship clubs in England that could quite easily fancy rebuilding their careers. 

Our scouting system needs to improve. 

I think he'd be a good signing. 62 goals in 73 competitive games for Ayr is impressive. He's also just scored more in the Championship than in League 1 the season before. Not a massive leap in standard, granted, but nevertheless. 

If we must make risk signings then a striker with his stats has to be worth a punt. We've taken chances on players with much less going for them than Shankland. 

What sort of off-field issues are we talking about?

Within reason I'm only really fussed what he can do on the field given we are a football team and all that.

Last season aside he's got a pretty mediocre record given the levels he's playing at and it sounds like his second half of the season tailed off. 6 month purple patch or genuine goal scorer? 

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think he'd be a good signing. 62 goals in 73 competitive games for Ayr is impressive. He's also just scored more in the Championship than in League 1 the season before. Not a massive leap in standard, granted, but nevertheless. 

If we must make risk signings then a striker with his stats has to be worth a punt. We've taken chances on players with much less going for them than Shankland. 

good point

And he must be better than Wighton

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

He missed 5 games in the second half of the season.

So it was 18 goals from 18 games, then 6 from 13.

Fair enough, his rate dropped from brilliant to good - but he was recovering from injury.

He might not make the step up, who knows - but he did score 4 in 3 games against Ross County - who are in the same league as us now.

Actually, it was 18 from the first 16 games, 6 from 15 (the remaining 20 minus the 5 he missed)

He had 5 games injured, but only 2 were in the middle of the season, the rest were in the last 4 games of the season - I'm not sure we can attribute much of the drop off to recovering from a 2 game injury.

But as I've said before in this thread, I have a fairly low opinion of him from watching him play over a few games not from his stats, I don't think he'll get much change from defenders in the top division.

Edited by Smithee

Can’t really see much cause for Reilly comparisons. had a season twice as prolific as Reilly’s best ever and 3 in 3 against Premiership teams, two of which games were against Rangers.

Kept up in the league with Dobbie who has a great pedigree too.

32 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

No one is talking about spending big. How much did Hibs pay for Kamberi or Aberdeen for Cosgrove or Killie for Brophy. 

Shankland is 23 years old and hasn’t scored regularly at a level above Scottish Championship. 

Yes we need to take a chance but Shankland in my opinion is not worth the risk. For me, file under Wyness, Reilly or Cummins. Not a fan but I’d rather have Magennis  and Keena when he returns from injury. 

There are young guys that are being released by Championship clubs in England that could quite easily fancy rebuilding their careers. 

It’s a conundrum. 

While you need other attributes to be competent enough to compete at a higher level, I’d rather we went for someone actually making their mark in front of goal than another player who isn’t making it at a bigger club with a 4 goals in 40 record.  

Shankland might possibly be one of those players who had to take a step back to go forward again after failing to hit it off initially at a higher level?’

Who knows?  Again, It’ll come down to our coaches/manager’s judgement and how they see the player as a package.  

53 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What the Callum Paterson that often started matches for the U19's as striker? 

To be fair he also often started as a full-back, a centre-half or a right mid.

I saw him start as RB, move to RMid then up top as striker, in one match. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Or Aberdeen would have kept him. 

Perish the thought that he’d actually got better at his job as he got older and more experienced 

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

How many goals has Brophy scored ?

Not knocking him but we are talking about being prolific .

Sorry but you are not addressing the point  

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

What the Callum Paterson that often started matches for the U19's as striker? 

To be fair he also often started as a full-back, a centre-half or a right mid.

I saw him start as RB, move to RMid then up top as striker, in one match. 

He's an option as a striker

Kevin McKenna was as well

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I must be getting old,our new strikers could be called Lawrence and Josh ?

Karl or Anthony too ??.

Uche is a middle name after those two ?.

He’s the sort of player that consistently in the past Hearts fans have been screaming for us to sign.

He would be something different to what we have. I’m in.

6 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Celtic and Rangers both dropped interest in him as seemingly there were off field issues allegedly, could of course be bullxxxx.

Does he not run a company or something.

50 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

How many goals has Brophy scored ?

Not knocking him but we are talking about being prolific .

Sorry but you are not addressing the point  

Brophy 12 league goals.  Juanma got 12 league goals in a season and wasnt liked by the majority hearts fans 

gorgieheart
42 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Karl or Anthony too ??.

Uche is a middle name after those two ?.

Karl or Anthony ???

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Karl or Anthony ???

That’s Uche’s Christian name and middle name, them Uche ?

Bazzas right boot

This really does show how tough it is to get a striker  tho and imo how tough it will be to replace someone like Djoum 

Shankland and Mcgennis are hardly great players and are attractive for different reasons to us, but both will Likley have higher paid options than us if we are interested. 

We'll be lucky to get either. 

Shankland is a tricky one. We are never going to be able to sign a tried and tested goal scorer in the Scottish prem as if they were, they would get a move down south/be at the old firm or we wouldn’t be able to afford them. Naismith obv being a total exception to that rule.

It would 100% be a gamble that could go either way. He’s not played at this level but probably deserves his chance after the couple of seasons he has had. You need to be tough mentally to play for hearts due to the expectation from the fans and there is a pressure there that we should be winning the majority of games. I’ve lost count of the number of strikers who have been good elsewhere but flopped at us. 

Depends who else we have ‘lined up’ but id say he must be worth a punt as who else could we sign with a goal scoring record like he has? I know the level isn’t as good but it’s only one league down from us with quite a few teams who would be on par with your Hamilton, st mirren etc.

if we don’t sign him he will score 20 goals for someone else in our league, if we do he will struggle to get 3 for us. He’s not one that I’m screaming for us to sign but if we do I’ll back him and hope he does well and makes the step up. 

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

This really does show how tough it is to get a striker  tho and imo how tough it will be to replace someone like Djoum 

Shankland and Mcgennis are hardly great players and are attractive for different reasons to us, but both will Likley have higher paid options than us if we are interested. 

We'll be lucky to get either. 

I don’t think we’ll be that lucky if we do get Shankland. Having thought about it today, I’ve convinced myself that the boy would be absolutely mad to move anywhere else other than the Hearts. He’ll be lucky if he gets the chance to play for us! Come in and play alongside a brick shithouse Uche Ikpeazu who will do the heavy lifting and sort defenders out, and Scotland’s top center forward Steven Naismith, Hearts are well poised for a young hungry striker to come into our team and set the heather alight.

Or go to Sunderland, get paid a bit more money only for the manager to get sacked in a few months, mid table, on the bench behind Will Grigg. Stranded in the reserves one of the most depressing clubs in the biggest Shite Holes in the U.K. Sunderland.  

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm not a fan but I'll be right behind him if he signs of course

Same here

there's a Denis Wyness about him 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don’t think we’ll be that lucky if we do get Shankland. Having thought about it today, I’ve convinced myself that the boy would be absolutely mad to move anywhere else other than the Hearts. He’ll be lucky if he gets the chance to play for us! Come in and play alongside a brick shithouse Uche Ikpeazu who will do the heavy lifting and sort defenders out, and Scotland’s top center forward Steven Naismith, Hearts are well poised for a young hungry striker to come into our team and set the heather alight.

Or go to Sunderland, get paid a bit more money only for the manager to get sacked in a few months, mid table, on the bench behind Will Grigg. Stranded in the reserves one of the most depressing clubs in the biggest Shite Holes in the U.K. Sunderland.  

Not really my point really, my point was that anyone we are interested in has higher paid options  or will likely have and these guys ( we are are linked with) are hardly stars, yet they may still be out of our reach.

Shows how hard it is to get anyone of proven quality.

pettigrewsstylist

We have Wighton and Maclean. Why on earth would we need this free scoring young guy??

1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We have Wighton and Maclean. Why on earth would we need this free scoring young guy??

Your sarcasm would have been more effective if he had proved himself in the top division.

Remember Wyness, Reilly etc.

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Your sarcasm would have been more effective if he had proved himself in the top division.

Ive watched him 3 times this season. His stats are not over single season. Im comparing him to our comparable squad members. His mobility across the line would leave them exhausted just watching him on my viewing. 

Youre right tho. He is unproven like those you mention but seems to be attracting higher profile suitors than us. I would take a Wyness over the 2 imposters mentioned tho at this time.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Ive watched him 3 times this season. His stats are not over single season. Im comparing him to our comparable squad members. His mobility across the line would leave them exhausted just watching him on my viewing. 

Youre right tho. He is unproven like those you mention but seems to be attracting higher profile suitors than us. I would take a Wyness over the 2 imposters mentioned tho at this time.

We've watched very different Lawrence Shanklands!

He has a far superior scoring record to Gavin Reilly (11 in 35 for St Mirren and 39 in 110 for QOS) does he not, so not sure that's an apt comparison.

I thought Keena might have been earmarked as the poacher in the squad but would be fine if we signed Shankland.

My worry isn't his ability to step up but our misfield creating enough chances for him. We badly need more creativity in central and wide areas. 

I'll just be happy if we sign anyone, already bored out of my tits waiting on the new season to kick off.

18 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Correct although he did fail at Aberdeen as a youth.

From what I was told by an Ayr player last year we approached Shankland back then, he wanted to stay at Ayr until his contract expired so he had options. I assume that has now happened.

It would be the best move for him, if he proves himself here he’ll get a better move down south if that’s his plan. Going from Ayr to a Sunderland (for example) will no doubt result in him sitting on a bench for 6 months before being loaned out to some other gash in an even lower league down there. 

18 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Surprised none of the "ITK" crew know anything about this one.

I reckon a few will be along shortly now you’ve said this ??

The White Cockade
14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Correct although he did fail at Aberdeen as a youth.

as did dozens/hunfreds of youngsters who go on to be decent players

Andy Robertson at Celtic

fabienleclerq

I doubt Sunderland will have him as first choice, I also doubt they'll be paying massive wages tbh. 

The Internet
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Remind me of the time gavin reilly scored 30+ for two seasons in a row. I get there's been lower league strikers with decent scoring records that failed in the top league but none of them had a record like his. 

Sunderlands one of those opportunities that don't come along often. That said, its doubtful he'll be first, second or even third choice there. We might be able to match Sunderlands offer and be able to bump him into being a starter most weeks depending on his form. 

I'm biased but I think if he has confidence in his abilities he'd be better using us as a stop over before heading south. If he joins us and hits 15+ goals he'll get a good move down south the following year. More than likely, if he heads direct to Sunderland he'll be lucky to be a bench warmer. Scotland need a striker, he could be leading the line for Steve Clarke if he makes the right decision this summer.