Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Gigolo-Aunt

May be wrong but thought it never went well for him at Aberdeen as he never taken things on board and his attitude was not the best.  Would not be put off by that.  Sometimes takes longer for the penny to drop for some (or not at all)

8 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Unknown as no one knows how he'll adapt to football at Hearts and Scotland

For example he hasn't lived in Scotland / culture / football style / lifestyle / famuly/ even weather /expectations and ofc level of football. 

No matter the scouting, if the players a punt he'll fit into most if not all the above criteria and due to him being a punt you'll be less unsure how he'll adapt to the above. 

Shankland is really just about the jump in level, but giving he's been exceptional in a league below it also mitigates some fears about this, my thinking as well as I'm sure Hearts and a few others  is that he'll be at least decent. He ofc might not be. 

But in the relative sphere of transfers, imo he's not a punt for Hearts, he'd be more of a punt for Sunderland and if he went to play in the USA for example, he'd be even more of a punt for that team. 

Going off topic tho. 

Awfully long way to say he's a punt wherever he goes

Won't be in starting 11 if Naismith is fit, to oust Uchi, Levein would have to step down as cannot see him changing to two through middle, could be a Gerry McCoy type but hopefully not.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Brandon is horrific, Godinho ok but not much better.

I'm hoping after a pre season Brandon gets his shit back together. Hasn't played well of late but has before. Not writing him off just yet. Knee injury has clearly shoved him back a way

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

I'm hoping after a pre season Brandon gets his shit back together. Hasn't played well of late but has before. Not writing him off just yet. Knee injury has clearly shoved him back a way

Hopefully the following players can play an unprecedented 38 league games each, balance out the bad luck from last season:

Berra

Souttar

Michael Smith

Haring

Naismith 

Uche

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hopefully the following players can play an unprecedented 38 league games each, balance out the bad luck from last season:

Berra

Souttar

Michael Smith

Haring

Naismith 

Uche

What? The spine of our team? You would have thought that might have impinged upon positive results somewhat... Did Djoum manage 38?

Inch Hearts
5 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

That’s not true.

Yes it is.  He was shown around riccarton and offered a deal.  

QOS played to Reilly's strengths which is why he was so good with them, we did not play to his strengths which is why he/we failed. I also feel that Ayr play to Shanklands strengths and if he ever comes here hope our style of play is modified to fit him in properly.

4 minutes ago, alanbauld said:

QOS played to Reilly's strengths which is why he was so good with them, we did not play to his strengths which is why he/we failed. I also feel that Ayr play to Shanklands strengths and if he ever comes here hope our style of play is modified to fit him in properly.

I disagree. Gavin wasn’t good enough for Hearts. 

Horatio Caine
3 hours ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

May be wrong but thought it never went well for him at Aberdeen as he never taken things on board and his attitude was not the best.  Would not be put off by that.  Sometimes takes longer for the penny to drop for some (or not at all)

Um...I don't understand your post

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

I disagree. Gavin wasn’t good enough for Hearts. 

His finishing etc wasn't certainly but the team tended to play better when he did imo. 

3 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Um...I don't understand your post

Aberdeen got rid of Shankland because he was too fat, allegedly.

Mr Elwood P
11 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

My response was meant to be light hearted because I knew who and what you meant about percentages. 

Maybe it didn't come across that way by my wording. Apologies. 

No worries.

5 hours ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

A bit like your patter here wasn't true;

FFS ???? 

Quoting someones patter from 2014 ?

Wow 

Horatio Caine
48 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Aberdeen got rid of Shankland because he was too fat, allegedly.

I know - sorry I think my humour was too subtle.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, jambocub said:

Awfully long way to say he's a punt wherever he goes

Nah, if he went to say Dundee or Dundee Utd he'd be about as sure a thing you can get with a transfer. 

So not a punt wherever he goes. 

Less of a punt for us if you are saying the base of every transfer is a punt and the risk is just less, so less of a punt for us, but more of a punt for a foreign team at at a higher level. 

I still wouldn't describe him as a punt, but if you say every transfer is a punt in some way then I'll go with that. He's just less of a punt than say Cletus would be  or Uche was, but more of a punt than Naismith is. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, alanbauld said:

I feel similarly. We've signed some guys with half decent records i.e. Reilly, Sammon, Sutton but shoe horned them in to a way of playing that doesn't allow them to give their best.

Sutton was a big example for me. Motherwell got great value from him by getting wide guys to the bye line and feeding balls in to him.

Maybe I have a selective memory or just talking Eartha Kitt but I never saw Sutton as a player who would run the channels for you.

When signing players you choose ones who can adapt their game or you play to their strengths. I think we misjudged the three mentioned, and that's why I'll hold my breath with potential signings until we see how they are to be deployed

Finlay James
14 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I feel similarly. We've signed some guys with half decent records i.e. Reilly, Sammon, Sutton but shoe horned them in to a way of playing that doesn't allow them to give their best.

Sutton was a big example for me. Motherwell got great value from him by getting wide guys to the bye line and feeding balls in to him.

Maybe I have a selective memory or just talking Eartha Kitt but I never saw Sutton as a player who would run the channels for you.

When signing players you choose ones who can adapt their game or you play to their strengths. I think we misjudged the three mentioned, and that's why I'll hold my breath with potential signings until we see how they are to be deployed

I met Chris Sutton at the airport a couple of years ago and we talked about his brothers time at Hearts.  He reckons it never worked out as John could not settle and did not like JJ's style of management.

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Reilly I think wasn't up to it, not got the general quality. 

Shankland has over double his goals, tho. 

Sutton I agree with, also recently Johnson. 

You need a teams style to suit the strikers. 

We have a habit of making an arse of that. 

Frustrating

Although Naismith was on course for twenty at least imo. 

Generic Username
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

FFS ???? 

Quoting someones patter from 2014 ?

Wow 

Nearly five years down the line and he's still having a crack at being the guy with the inside track, albeit on his third or fourth incarnation.

Jambo 4 Ever
12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Craig Gordon ending up at Hearts this summer wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world 

He's better than what we've got just now

agreed

13 minutes ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

Nearly five years down the line and he's still having a crack at being the guy with the inside track, albeit on his third or fourth incarnation.

Edited by Notts1874
Not worth the hassle.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Nah, if he went to say Dundee or Dundee Utd he'd be about as sure a thing you can get with a transfer. 

So not a punt wherever he goes. 

Less of a punt for us if you are saying the base of every transfer is a punt and the risk is just less, so less of a punt for us, but more of a punt for a foreign team at at a higher level. 

I still wouldn't describe him as a punt, but if you say every transfer is a punt in some way then I'll go with that. He's just less of a punt than say Cletus would be  or Uche was, but more of a punt than Naismith is. 

The guy has scored 50 goals in 61 apearances in a tricky league with a fairly small club.

He is 23 years of age.

I wouldn't see that as a punt tbh.

He scores goals and that what is what we need.

He might be a guy that doesn't always have a good game but would pop up with a goal.

We haven't had that since you know who.

Not that I am saying he would be in the wee mans class but we should be seriously going after this guy.

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

16 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Let’s boo him after two games and find out

lol. That would be a given for some.

I would take him. Will score more goals than Uche if we played passing football.

Which we don't and wont as long as Craig is charge.

15 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I think you’re rewriting history here....

It was actually Billy Stark who moved PH from the wing into a central midfield role whilst at St Johnstone.

It was his performances in that position that caught CL’s attention and he signed him on a pre contract agreement.

However.....

CL inexplicably decided to move PH back out to the wing and he struggled to impress. It was only when he moved back into the middle of the pitch he recaptured his form.

For some reason I remember bits of what the press said when we signed Hartley. He was definitely referred to as being “the former St Johnstone wide man”.

Peculiar what you remember but I remember that.

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

And it was the legend that was Jim Jefferies that couldn’t get the best out of Sutton and didn’t want Rudi back.

Every manager ****s things up with players a huge amount of the time. Funny that.

16 minutes ago, Deek said:

I would take him. Will score more goals than Uche if we played passing football.

Which we don't and wont as long as Craig is charge.

Patently untrue

But to get the best out of Shankland, and in my opinion Uche, you’d play them together.

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Berra

Souttar

Michael Smith

Haring

Naismith 

Uche

You'd halve our goals against figure of we get a settled defence.

StevenNaismith
4 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yes it is.  He was shown around riccarton and offered a deal.  

We shall need to agree to disagree. 

Robbo-Jambo
37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Good variety of goals scored there.

Certainly knows where the back of the net is.

54 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Good variety of goals scored there.

Certainly knows where the back of the net is.

Yes. Not as many headers as I thought. Very good mix of penalty box and longer range efforts. 

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes. Not as many headers as I thought. Very good mix of penalty box and longer range efforts. 

looping chip-balls and volleys with lots of spin too. He's got a good bit of technique there. some tight angle driven shots as well. Quite enthusiastic about us being linked with him after watching that, but you have to be careful with these video montages. :lol:

CloustonHMFC

We simply could not have offered Shankland a contract last season. He was contracted to Ayr and Hearts did not have a transfer bid accepted. Sorry, that was January, my bad. 

Edited by clouston1992

The press reported that he came to the club and was shown around etc.

Don't remember any articles mentioning that he was offered a contract.

4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Patently untrue

But to get the best out of Shankland, and in my opinion Uche, you’d play them together.

I suppose somebody with over 23000 posts knows more about the truth than me then?

Perhaps you should start yourposts  with in my opinion ....instead of calling somebody as telling untruths.

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yip,, good finisher no doubt about that and can take a penalty !!

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Towards end of season was getting subbed, it was like he had boots on wrong feet game I watched.

At the risk of repeating myself I watched him a few times last season and thought he was a below average footballer who wouldn't get the same change from top division defenders.

If we sign him I'll hope to be proved very very wrong, but I just don't see it.

MaskedMarauder

He was in Dubai last week on holiday and when I braved the chance to ask him about coming to us he was pretty coy and said he had a few offers mainly from down south for big bucks. Sunderland will be where he ends up. 

3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

looping chip-balls and volleys with lots of spin too. He's got a good bit of technique there. some tight angle driven shots as well. Quite enthusiastic about us being linked with him after watching that, but you have to be careful with these video montages. :lol:

Especially with the standard of defending 

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Especially with the standard of defending 

We’ve been burned before. It’s hard to open your heart again after that. ☹️

Forever Hearts
30 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Towards end of season was getting subbed, it was like he had boots on wrong feet game I watched.

He was also injured and nowhere near match fit. 

Seems a few folk are unsure about Shankland but I reckon he's worth giving a go. Wondering if it's partly because Reilly never worked out for us.

Another way to look at it is imagine we sent one of our younger strikers on loan and he scored nearly as many goals in that same league, we'd be crying out for him to be brought back and get his shot. 23 is a good age, still time to develop more too.

Edited by RS86