Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Sagan said:

We could dig up jimmy saville and appoint him as head coach and you would back him to the hilt. 

Backing the Hearts manager.

The nerve of some Hearts fans. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Has anyone actually ever thought that he might have said no instead of Hearts turning him down? Does anyone know the exact conversations between the club and the boy/his agent? 

YouLetYourClubDie
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

At least Wighton has scored at a higher level. As has McLean obviously. Neither of them were happy staying at a lower level and both jumped at the chance to join a bigger club.

Also, do you not remember the standard of goalies and defenders in the Championship. Abysmal for the most part. I've never seen us score so many goals from outside the box in one season. The space attacking players got and the huge difference in goalkeeping quality was very obvious. That's why it's a much bigger step up than maybe you appreciate. OK Shankland snatched a goal vs us but his overall play was very poor in that game. He looked very out of his depth.

You might have a point there and I agree the Championship is by and large guff. It is the number of goals he is scoring that really makes him stand out and he is clearly good enough to make the step up. Sure he scored against other Premiership teams in the cups last year as well. 

I thought he looked very sharp against us at Tynie. I watched him closely and his movement was that of a poacher. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, YouLetYourClubDie said:

You might have a point there and I agree the Championship is by and large guff. It is the number of goals he is scoring that really makes him stand out and he is clearly good enough to make the step up. Sure he scored against other Premiership teams in the cups last year as well. 

I thought he looked very sharp against us at Tynie. I watched him closely and his movement was that of a poacher. 

Outside the box he was garbage. He's a worse version of Jason Cummings and I don't rate Cummings. Also a player yet to prove himself outwith the Championship except at least he's tried.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Backing the Hearts manager.

The nerve of some Hearts fans. 

You don't get it. 

That's fair. 

You're probably really good at lego. 

Byyy The Light
13 minutes ago, waterboy11 said:

Has anyone actually ever thought that he might have said no instead of Hearts turning him down? Does anyone know the exact conversations between the club and the boy/his agent? 

Been mentioned a few times yeh. Some

posters must have those posters blocked though 

Unknown user
Just now, Sagan said:

You don't get it. 

That's fair. 

You're probably really good at lego. 

Which one are you?

Unknown user
Just now, Sagan said:

That one 

220px-LittleBritain.jpg

Well yeah, obviously, I've read your posts.

Which visitor specifically are you though?

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, waterboy11 said:

If the papers are to be believed* he turned down Sunderland, two other un-named English clubs and one of us, Rangers and Celtic who were the Scottish clubs reported to be "interested". Of them Levein admitted we'd watched him, but then a host of clubs will have watched someone scoring that many. After his injury our interest cooled (apparently), especially as Ayr wanted 250K for him, but Sunderland still allegedly made him an offer. Of course he *could* have turned them all down to sign for Dundee Utd.

*I don't believe them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well yeah, obviously, I've read your posts.

Which visitor specifically are you though?

That one 

roswell-ufo-alien-CREDIT-GETTY-1120.jpg

2 hours ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

We didn't have anyone hit 20 goals when we were in it. 

We skooshed the league though, by a record margin, in the toughest Championship ever.  Didn't need to depend on one guy to get 20+ goals, as a team we scored more goals than any other team has ever managed in the Championship.

WheatfieldWarrior

SPL teams have bought very few players from lower leagues in Scotland this year.

I imagine it isn't really where we are sending our scouts.

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

6 hours ago, jambopilms said:

I take it there is a thread on every spfl fans forum about how they missed out on Shankland and their scouting and management are shit?

Only the Clubs who wasted money signing a lightweight timid player from Dundee....

Guest ToqueJambo
48 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Only the Clubs who wasted money signing a lightweight timid player from Dundee....

Who has nevertheless still scored more top flight goals than the man the myth Lawrence Shankland.

Hackney Hearts
3 hours ago, Thought Police said:

so did Gavin Reilly and Dennis Wyness.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of continuing this discussion, can people please stop bringing up Reilly and Wyness - especially Reilly, FFS. Their goal stats were nowhere near the levels that Shankland hit with Ayr.

For clarity, I'm the type who supports the management and players pretty much no matter what (a happy clapper, if you like) - but I am interested to see how LS progresses. I'm sure we'll see him in the Premiership next season and then we'll all find out.

Finlay James
6 hours ago, JackLadd said:

He's on a whole other level compared to some of the dross kicking about Tynie.

Aye very good 😂😂

The Internet
6 hours ago, JackLadd said:

He's on a whole other level compared to some of the dross kicking about Tynie.

He's playing football at a level us mere mortals cannot comprehend. 

1 goal and an assist for the other, away to Partick Thistle, 

4 goals against Inverness 

Scored against us at Tynecastle 

I really don't know how he'll cope against the likes of Hamilton and Ross County 

It could be a bit much for the lad. 

14 minutes ago, Sagan said:

I really don't know how he'll cope against the likes of Hamilton and Ross County 

Agreed. Mark down as the one we should have gone for. He's not ours though.  Time to move on and concentrate on what we have. 

30 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Well he failed to score against East Fife and Stenhousemuir as Dundee United crashed out of the Betfred Cup so maybe Hamilton and Ross County would be a step too far as well.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well he failed to score against East Fife and Stenhousemuir as Dundee United crashed out of the Betfred Cup so maybe Hamilton and Ross County would be a step too far as well.

I'm not sure Robbie wanted to be in that cup to be honest. 

His only focus is on promotion this year. Failure is not an option. 

Maroon Sailor

The mighty Livingston were a step too far for the whole Hearts team last season. Failed to score in both league meetings at Tynie and we all know what happened through there.

45 minutes ago, Sagan said:

What's going to make you stop going on about the lad ?

23 minutes ago, Sagan said:

I'm not sure Robbie wanted to be in that cup to be honest. 

His only focus is on promotion this year. Failure is not an option. 

Aye, you're not sure.  :rofl: 

Edited by graygo

YouLetYourClubDie
13 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Outside the box he was garbage. He's a worse version of Jason Cummings and I don't rate Cummings. Also a player yet to prove himself outwith the Championship except at least he's tried.

He has a much better record than Cummings in the Championship. 

As long as he is good in the box that is all that matters!

YouLetYourClubDie
12 hours ago, RobNox said:

We skooshed the league though, by a record margin, in the toughest Championship ever.  Didn't need to depend on one guy to get 20+ goals, as a team we scored more goals than any other team has ever managed in the Championship.

We were fortunate to have goals throughout the team that year as we created about 40 chances a game. Chances are harder to come by in the Premiership so we could do with an out and out scorer. We were missing chances left right and centre against Stenhousemuir! If Shankland had been playing that game he would have scored a ton. 

Edited by YouLetYourClubDie

I can't believe that we didn't sign this guy. I still feel that we need another striker and Shankland would have been ideal. We should now at least be talking to Lafferty.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

I can't believe that we didn't sign this guy. I still feel that we need another striker and Shankland would have been ideal. We should now at least be talking to Lafferty.

Think Laff wants the move but Levein not so keen apparently

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is why Levein is so unpopular amongst large sections of the support, he doesn't seem to see scoring goals as a priority and is far more likely to sign defensive and midfield players than a players like Shankland or Lafferty who score goals for fun.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

He has a much better record than Cummings in the Championship. 

As long as he is good in the box that is all that matters!

Not if we’re playing 1 up front 

26 minutes ago, Hearts Daft said:

This is why Levein is so unpopular amongst large sections of the support, he doesn't seem to see scoring goals as a priority and is far more likely to sign defensive and midfield players than a players like Shankland or Lafferty who score goals for fun.

Lafferty has sat in his arse for a season and done nothing. If he couldnt be bothered pushing himself to get into the team 'he loves' I can't see him doing it here. He pushed himself with us to get that move in the first place, no incentive for him anymore. 

As for Shankland, yes he has scored in the championship, but there has to be a reason nobody except Utd offered him a good enough contract. Maybe the football people know something we don't,  but the wee stiffies people have for him on here is comical. 

And breath 😂 

Im off to watch Washington bang in some goals now!

8 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Lafferty has sat in his arse for a season and done nothing. If he couldnt be bothered pushing himself to get into the team 'he loves' I can't see him doing it here. He pushed himself with us to get that move in the first place, no incentive for him anymore. 

As for Shankland, yes he has scored in the championship, but there has to be a reason nobody except Utd offered him a good enough contract. Maybe the football people know something we don't,  but the wee stiffies people have for him on here is comical. 

And breath 😂 

I hope your right but Levein was able to get the best out of Lafferty and Shankland looks to me like a natural goalscorer.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Levein was asked and his reply..."I think I am grey enough so I don't think Lafferty will be coming, just now".  Not an identical quote but along the lines of that.

Stephen Muddie

I bet he, I bet he even.. Even scores today as well! Waaaaa!

:sob:

Edited by Stephen Muddie

33 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

And breath 😂 

This, in spades.

You'd think from some of the posts on here that Shankland presented himself at Tynie, begging for a contract and saying he'd only sign for us and if we didn't want him then he'd refuse to play for anyone above Championship level.

Nobody wanted him enough to sign him.  Not just us.  Whether that's because he wanted to be guaranteed a game or there's something about him we don't know but which everyone actually employed int he game at the top level can, I don't know.  But there's a reason only Utd offered him the contract he wanted, and that reason certainly isn't down to money (he must have been offered more at Sunderland, for starters).

And Lafferty used us to get a move to his scummy favourites and would do sod all if he was back here, unless we were playing Celtic or the Hobos. Plus, the degree to which people are happy to forgive his OTT celebrations when the Hun scored against us, but still dribble on about Pressley (a far greater servant to the club than Lafferty will ever be) telling Romanov to get ****ed while wearing a Celtic top, is astonishing.

14 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Only way he'd have made a difference yesterday is if he was playing for Ross County.

Ross county's squad must be worth about 10 Bob, their wage bill is about 60 pence a week and their manager has been there how long? 

Yet they came to Tynecastle and played good football. They could have easily scored 5. 

Why are we persisting with our current set up?