Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Actually I'm trying to remember if he touted Wright and Archibald as a replacement for Levein, Cathro or Neilson...I don't suppose it matters. Pretty sure he's wanted rid of pretty much every Hearts manager....

Good to know our wee pal has all the answers. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Why would you not take a punt on this lad? He banged them in for fun in the Championship last season and is still fairly young.

CL is no stranger to taking risks, especially from the lower leagues, so find it pretty bizarre we wouldn't even take a punt on this lad. The last 'striker' we signed from Ayr wasn't half as prolific, and turned out not bad.

20 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Have you gone on a scouting trip Mitch? 

Looking at the freed players available i’d have to get 22 of them for 4 days and have a close look at them. 

I’d give them a full physical check up and find out what they were like as men. I always thought what George 

Burley did when he had a look/trial against ‘Boro was a fab idea. To tell you the truth there are some very good 

players out there it must be great to have the best stadium, training facilities, medical backup ect to attract

good talent and the chance to live in the greatest city in the world just couldn’t be turned down unless you 

were a dumb ass.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Couldn't agree more. I wanted us to sign him in January. What a difference that could have made. But maybe he is looking for big wages somewhere.

I've not read back through the thread to see if it has gone off course at some point and I'm assuming the discussion is still about Shankland. From anything that I've read online about him the thing that seems to keep coming through is that wherever he ends up going game time is a lot more important to him than money.

Inch Hearts
50 minutes ago, Locky said:

Why would you not take a punt on this lad? He banged them in for fun in the Championship last season and is still fairly young.

CL is no stranger to taking risks, especially from the lower leagues, so find it pretty bizarre we wouldn't even take a punt on this lad. The last 'striker' we signed from Ayr wasn't half as prolific, and turned out not bad.

Probably costs too much and the other gambles have been shite to justify paying good money (signing fee and wages to the player) 

Would take a punt but Sunderland been linked and will offer more money. Still on his holidays so deal won’t be happening any time soon. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Actually I'm trying to remember if he touted Wright and Archibald as a replacement for Levein, Cathro or Neilson...I don't suppose it matters. Pretty sure he's wanted rid of pretty much every Hearts manager....

Wright and Archibald - the last two "next big things" before Clarke. As he's at Scotland I genuinely hope Clarke bucks the trend of "Next big things" in Scottish football management disappearing. Where is Owen Coyle these days? Or Stuart McCall, Eric Black, Mark McGhee...

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Looking at the freed players available i’d have to get 22 of them for 4 days and have a close look at them. 

I’d give them a full physical check up and find out what they were like as men. I always thought what George 

Burley did when he had a look/trial against ‘Boro was a fab idea. To tell you the truth there are some very good 

players out there it must be great to have the best stadium, training facilities, medical backup ect to attract

good talent and the chance to live in the greatest city in the world just couldn’t be turned down unless you 

were a dumb ass.

I think that was a brilliant idea funded by money we did not have.  Let's make the same financial mistakes agein!  There's a good idea.

Can you give us some idea now of these very good players out there just waiting to come to our wonderful city

Cant believe weve not spoken to a prolific goalscorer. Its as if we dont want a prolific goal scorer!

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Cant believe weve not spoken to a prolific goalscorer. Its as if we dont want a prolific goal scorer!

No evidence we haven't. 

Just the usual mix of guesswork and assuming paper report is correct

And of course multiplied by the negativity and agendas on here.. 

Unknown user
On 20/06/2019 at 21:17, frankblack said:

Did we not sign Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton from Dundee when they were in the SPL?

I'm fairly sure they were in the first most of the 90s but I couldn't swear to it.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No evidence we haven't. 

Just the usual mix of guesswork and assuming paper report is correct

And of course multiplied by the negativity and agendas on here.. 

The thread title’s been changed though ?

Edited by Pans Jambo

6 hours ago, OTT said:

Very disappointed we've not at least tried to make contact with him. Our signing policy frustrates the life out of me at times. We're quite happy to throw money away on complete shite but a quality young lad is on our ****ing doorstep and we've not even spoken to him? 

We've been signing big lads that can't score goals. We need a change of tact here. 

This is Craig biggest flaw, imo. He's never wrong, everyone else is.

Mr Elwood P

He will end up at Sunderland. Djoum will end up at Sunderland. Anybody else we’re sniffing around will end up at Sunderland.

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think that was a brilliant idea funded by money we did not have.  Let's make the same financial mistakes agein!  There's a good idea.

Can you give us some idea now of these very good players out there just waiting to come to our wonderful city

Oh ye of little faith. Try having a look at the the list of players from all over Europe who are available

and looking for a club. Having a trial would be a cost but imagine if we discovered one gem it would 

be worth it wouldn’t it.

CloustonHMFC

He’ll end up at Sunderland, score one goal in the first 15 games and end up benched. The same folk who are screaming we should be doing everything we can will be on here saying we dodged a bullet and they can’t believe the club were even considering it. 

Edited by clouston1992

Surprised that no-one has pulled the trigger re signing this guy yet. 

Looks like a natural goal-scorer. 

I'd give him a chance if he'd come. A penalty box player with a good finish is something we lack.

44 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh ye of little faith. Try having a look at the the list of players from all over Europe who are available

and looking for a club. Having a trial would be a cost but imagine if we discovered one gem it would 

be worth it wouldn’t it.

There's probably thousands more beyond Europe which should help you to name two ot three within our affordability range.

One gets the impression you're trying to avoid an answer but I know that's not true.

How many do you think we would need to bring over to find just one gem and why do imagine that gem is knocking around without bigger clubs knowing about them?

4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He will end up at Sunderland. Djoum will end up at Sunderland. Anybody else we’re sniffing around will end up at Sunderland.

And Sunderland will stay in League One. Jack Ross back as St Mirren manager. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 21/06/2019 at 06:19, mitch41 said:

Ok i’ll have a wee think about that.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

He'll end up in Leith.

Might well do, but remember the boy El Bakhtaoui set the championship alight for a couple of seasons and flopped at Dundee. I think Shankland is better but there is no guarantee he'll be anything but a 10 goals a season forward.

On 20/06/2019 at 21:17, frankblack said:

Did we not sign Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton from Dundee when they were in the SPL?

I had to check, but no. We signed McCann in August 1996. Dundee were relegated from the Premier in 93/94 and didn’t make it back until 98/99.

maroonlegions
On 12/06/2019 at 10:09, Smithee said:

I'm not a fan but I'll be right behind him if he signs of course

You watch him every week then.?

Ronald Villiers
11 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I had to check, but no. We signed McCann in August 1996. Dundee were relegated from the Premier in 93/94 and didn’t make it back until 98/99.

Yes, McCann, Fulton and Cameron all signed at the same time, August 1996.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

You watch him every week then.?

I saw him several times last season, or I'd have said I didn't really know him.

I spoke to a scout of another club about him a few months ago and he said the general feeling is he's at his level. Just lacks "something" to make you think he'd prosper higher up. Maybe a bit one paced/not enough grit.

You do wonder, given his goals, why no one has taken the plunge on him.

My gut is I'd rather we gave time to Keena.

William H. Bonney
3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Fulton was signed in 1995. 

3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Eh naw....Mickey signed in March 1996...back in the old transfer deadline before the run in...cup tied for SC Final me thinks....

#PayAttentionAtTheBack

?

TheAntiHibee
On 22/06/2019 at 14:04, JackLadd said:

Might well do, but remember the boy El Bakhtaoui set the championship alight for a couple of seasons and flopped at Dundee. I think Shankland is better but there is no guarantee he'll be anything but a 10 goals a season forward.

El Bakhtaoui set league one alight with Dunfermline and not in the championship, he then signed for Dundee like you set and didn't prove to be anything special. Shankland has proven to be too good for the championship which can only mean one thing that the premiership is the only route worth taking. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 23/06/2019 at 04:01, Dino Velvet said:

Fulton's another good example for everyone writing off the possible Walker signing because he barely played last season and bombed in England.

Fulton had a similar period in England after leaving Celtic and had to resurrect his career at Falkirk before becoming a legend with us at around Walker's age now.

On 23/06/2019 at 12:01, Dino Velvet said:

My favourite memory of this is that we swapped him for David Hagen, and John Lambie (Falkirk manager at the time) said he’d bet his house he got the better deal.

Eh, no.

On 23/06/2019 at 09:22, TheBigO said:

I spoke to a scout of another club about him a few months ago and he said the general feeling is he's at his level. Just lacks "something" to make you think he'd prosper higher up. Maybe a bit one paced/not enough grit.

I remember Stevie Crawford scoring nigh on 20 one season for Dunfermline but personally I thought he was generally an average player. Got the heebies when Robbo was rumoured to be after him.  Even capped for Scotland.

One of those head scratchers imo.

Dalstonjambo
On 23/06/2019 at 09:22, TheBigO said:

This is interesting. And would be borne out so far in the evidence. For all the criticism on this thread about us not offering him something or speaking to him (which we don't actually know to be true), it doesn't seem anyone else is either. Don't have a view one way or another, but his stats suggest he should be a no brainer for every club outwith the top 2. So why isn't he?

15 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

This is interesting. And would be borne out so far in the evidence. For all the criticism on this thread about us not offering him something or speaking to him (which we don't actually know to be true), it doesn't seem anyone else is either. Don't have a view one way or another, but his stats suggest he should be a no brainer for every club outwith the top 2. So why isn't he?

Weird one eh. I guess you see it loads.

Jon Stead, Jordan Rhodes, Ross McCormack, Dave Nugent, Keatings, Reilly, maybe Cummings.. off the top of my head who are all those brilliant 2nd tier, not quite top tier type players. There'll be hundreds of examples

William H. Bonney
40 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

My favourite memory of this is that we swapped him for David Hagen, and John Lambie (Falkirk manager at the time) said he’d bet his house he got the better deal.

Eh, no.

Fulton was pretty awful in his first season though. Glad we persisted with him. 

siegementality

Dundee Utd have made Shankland an offer. I’d personally be disappointed if we didn’t make him an offer as well. He has definitely got something, and that something is goals. Can what he’s lacking in be sorted? Dunno. But given natural goal scorers are rare, and very, very expensive, I would hope we have the coaching set up and management to develop him.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I thought we signed McCann, Davie Weir and Goss on the same day.

Yup, we did Jonno. 

Hope this link works to Jeremy Goss autobiography detailing the days events.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C6alBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT293&lpg=PT293&dq=30+july+1996+mccann+hearts&source=bl&ots=NJWpff7xeN&sig=ACfU3U1AeB6RIUSp1GxhL0xBsDbylZtXYw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8lOXO2YfjAhWSQ0EAHWSkDRQQ6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=30 july 1996 mccann hearts&f=false

Gid times

davemclaren

Rick James

3 year deal at United reported. Great bit of business for them.

How he didn't end up at a Prem side or an English club is mental. Can't help but feel we should've took a punt here.

Mr Elwood P
47 minutes ago, Locky said:

How he didn't end up at a Prem side or an English club is mental. Can't help but feel we should've took a punt here.

First competitive game, versus Hearts. Wonder what’s going to happen there ... 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Time will tell.

I think he’d toil to do it at a higher level. 

Maybe there’s a reason why he’s signing for Dundee Utd?

We shall see.