Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Heard today he'd signed with us. Came from a guy with Ayr United connections. Will have to wait and see if that's right or not.

16 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Seems a few folk are unsure about Shankland but I reckon he's worth giving a go. Wondering if it's partly because Reilly never worked out for us.

Another way to look at it is imagine we sent one of our younger strikers on loan and he scored nearly as many goals in that same league, we'd be crying out for him to be brought back and get his shot. 23 is a good age, still time to develop more too.

Denis Wyness 

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Seems a few folk are unsure about Shankland but I reckon he's worth giving a go. Wondering if it's partly because Reilly never worked out for us.

Another way to look at it is imagine we sent one of our younger strikers on loan and he scored nearly as many goals in that same league, we'd be crying out for him to be brought back and get his shot. 23 is a good age, still time to develop more too.

Reilly was quite slight so didn’t really handle the step up whereas shankland has been keeping beefed up so would handle the physicality of the game more 

9 hours ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

Nearly five years down the line and he's still having a crack at being the guy with the inside track, albeit on his third or fourth incarnation.

Just put him on ignore ?

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

Is that what you think Hearts have become when you say about signing Shanks,

Quote “I recon he’s worth giving him a go”. Fingers and toes crossed giving him a 3 year contract.

Well no thank you.

59 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Is that what you think Hearts have become when you say about signing Shanks,

Quote “I recon he’s worth giving him a go”. Fingers and toes crossed giving him a 3 year contract.

Well no thank you.

Ask yourself this. If we'd have had him last year when we had to start with McLean or Wighton as we didn't have Uche or Naismith fit would you have preferred him as an option? I certainly would have.

As last season has demonstrated it's not just about our strongest 11, we need depth. And yes I think he'd be worth signing to add that and hopefully to become a regular starter.

No-one mentioned 3 years but will assume that's just some anti-Levein rhetoric.

Understandable to think of Gavin Reilly and Dennis Wyness as signings from lower division clubs who didn’t work out. Not always the case though - think of Neil McCann. He was kicking around at Dundee for a fair while with no Premier club willing to take a chance on him.

Would he be receptive to changing his name to something a bit less silly? Lawrie or Dave or something? 

6 hours ago, reaths17 said:

sign him just for the penalties, we've had some pish pen takers the last few years

We should ignore goals scored from penalties in terms of judging a striker

I understand they count in a goalscoring record but frankly they are no true measure of a striker

Edited by CJGJ

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Denis Wyness 

Do you think we should never sign a lower league player ever again because one signed 13 year ago was not a success. 

If not, was is your point? 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I understand they count in a goalscoring record but frankly they are no true measure of a striker

It's a measure of composure and mentality as well imo and should not be ignored. Means they can hold thier nerve and are brave, a good attribute for any player to have. 

6 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I'm looking for our striker to take the PKs. When a see a Defender or Midfielder taking it. I'm not so confident.

Ibrahim Tall
6 hours ago, CJGJ said:

In a way I agree but given we seem to miss about 4 or 5 penalties a season(atleast) since Hartley left, signing a player that’s good at penalties would be a nice bonus and probably win us a decent few points.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

A_A wehatethehibs

We should bring in a Stevo as a “how to be a cult classic player at Hearts coming from Ayr” coach.

35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm looking for our striker to take the PKs. When a see a Defender or Midfielder taking it. I'm not so confident.

Pressley, Cameron and Hartley were all brilliant penalty takers for us. Clare has been so far too.

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Pressley, Cameron and Hartley were all brilliant penalty takers for us. Clare has been so far too.

True, but seeing Robbo with the baw in haun, (steady) was more brilliant.

Just now, ri Alban said:

True, but seeing Robbo with the baw in haun, (steady) was more brilliant.

Everything about Robbo was brilliant. 

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Everything about Robbo was brilliant. 

It was Indeed!  

Mr Elwood P
15 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yip,, good finisher no doubt about that and can take a penalty !!

Lawrence Shankland or Sean Clare?

12 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Oh and for the record i watched Shankland twice last season at Ayr, I've family in Dalrymple and i had seen Wyness 3 or 4 times up in Inverness when my mate played with him up there. Guessing I've seen both more than you have 

Rated both players 

Both Natural goalscorers 

Dennis Wyness!!

Unknown user
1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

Listen? you jumped the gun and made many assumptions that were wrong, it happens ?you do this a lot on here,  you never just asked did you. You got yourself all angry and jumped down posters throats with 14 paragraphed tirades beacuse their opinions differ from yours. I do however accept your apology. Next time instead of spending half an hour on a tirade. Take 10 mins....... then just ask the question" what do you mean by that"  and you won't get yourself in another pickle like this 

Happy days ?

Come on now, you can't call people ****s for making assumptions, you forced people to make assumptions!

There's three type of strikers- a goal scorer, a goal scorer who can play football, and a football player who happens to play up front. 

Sometimes being just a goal scorer isn’t enough at a higher level, sometimes it is. There’s only one way to find out. 

13 hours ago, RS86 said:

Ask yourself this. If we'd have had him last year when we had to start with McLean or Wighton as we didn't have Uche or Naismith fit would you have preferred him as an option? I certainly would have.

As last season has demonstrated it's not just about our strongest 11, we need depth. And yes I think he'd be worth signing to add that and hopefully to become a regular starter.

No-one mentioned 3 years but will assume that's just some anti-Levein rhetoric.

Here we go again with his nonsense posted without any thought going into you understanding my post. Hearts have a first team squad of say 24 to 25 ok. Everyone of those players must be recognised as good enough to play in a Hearts team. Taking chances or gambles with signing the likes of Shanks is not what Hearts need. Hearts need to look at him and know he can do a job when he plays in the SPL and score goals.

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Here we go again with his nonsense posted without any thought going into you understanding my post. Hearts have a first team squad of say 24 to 25 ok. Everyone of those players must be recognised as good enough to play in a Hearts team. Taking chances or gambles with signing the likes of Shanks is not what Hearts need. Hearts need to look at him and know he can do a job when he plays in the SPL and score goals.

Less of a gamble than Wighton if you look at his scoring record prior to joining us, or Keena if you compare his scoring record during his loan spells (although he did v well on loan). I get where you're coming from that he might not be assured SPL standard, but certainly less of a gamble than people are making out. All IMO and time will tell if he signs and proves us right/wrong

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Less of a gamble than Wighton if you look at his scoring record prior to joining us, or Keena if you compare his scoring record during his loan spells (although he did v well on loan). I get where you're coming from that he might not be assured SPL standard, but certainly less of a gamble than people are making out. All IMO and time will tell if he signs and proves us right/wrong

We have lost too much money and faith in our management on gambles and mistakes. We need Craig Levein to be in a position where he has the funds that doesn't have him gambling because this season coming we want everyone producing a product on the pitch that has our fans raving about our team.

CL had a decent record at Utd in bringing in young Scottish players from the lower leagues. Might be time to return to this after some howling signings from outside Scotland...

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We should bring in a Stevo as a “how to be a cult classic player at Hearts coming from Ayr” coach.

? this made me chuckle, well done ? 

...a bit disco
13 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Would he be receptive to changing his name to something a bit less silly? Lawrie or Dave or something? 

Larry Shankar?

9 hours ago, Dayman said:

There's three type of strikers- a goal scorer, a goal scorer who can play football, and a football player who happens to play up front. 

Must be more than three types. I could rattle of a list of strikers we've had that are not covered by your assessment. Some would be a stretch to cover just the "football player" part tbh.

10 hours ago, Dayman said:

Sometimes being just a goal scorer isn’t enough at a higher level, sometimes it is. There’s only one way to find out. 

Where would you file Uche then? He doesn’t score, doesn’t create and sometimes looks like he’s never even played football before ?

21 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Understandable to think of Gavin Reilly and Dennis Wyness as signings from lower division clubs who didn’t work out. Not always the case though - think of Neil McCann. He was kicking around at Dundee for a fair while with no Premier club willing to take a chance on him.

Did we not sign Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton from Dundee when they were in the SPL?

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Where would you file Uche then? He doesn’t score, doesn’t create and sometimes looks like he’s never even played football before ?

Yeah I think I probably missed the “big unit” category entirely ?. Target man I suppose?! Something along those lines would be the last category. 

11 hours ago, Dayman said:

Yeah I think I probably missed the “big unit” category entirely ?. Target man I suppose?! Something along those lines would be the last category. 

Haha our favourite type of striker as well ?

20 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We have lost too much money and faith in our management on gambles and mistakes. We need Craig Levein to be in a position where he has the funds that doesn't have him gambling because this season coming we want everyone producing a product on the pitch that has our fans raving about our team.

Mitch, just as an "in fun" exercise can you name two or three players you would like/need and let us know if he has the funds.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Mitch, just as an "in fun" exercise can you name two or three players you would like/need and let us know if he has the funds.

Ok i’ll have a wee think about that.

18 hours ago, Dayman said:

Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clarke, Jim Hamilton, Mark de Vries types?

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

This should be fun! It took some pushing but eventually he stated he wanted Tommy Wright or Alan Archibald as a Levein replacement...

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

This should be fun! It took some pushing but eventually he stated he wanted Tommy Wright or Alan Archibald as a Levein replacement...

It's a long think for someone who has all the answers.

Very disappointed we've not at least tried to make contact with him. Our signing policy frustrates the life out of me at times. We're quite happy to throw money away on complete shite but a quality young lad is on our ****ing doorstep and we've not even spoken to him? 

We've been signing big lads that can't score goals. We need a change of tact here. 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Very disappointed we've not at least tried to make contact with him. Our signing policy frustrates the life out of me at times. We're quite happy to throw money away on complete shite but a quality young lad is on our ****ing doorstep and we've not even spoken to him? 

We've been signing big lads that can't score goals. We need a change of tact here. 

Couldn't agree more. I wanted us to sign him in January. What a difference that could have made. But maybe he is looking for big wages somewhere.

8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Ok i’ll have a wee think about that.

Have you gone on a scouting trip Mitch? 

Actually I'm trying to remember if he touted Wright and Archibald as a replacement for Levein, Cathro or Neilson...I don't suppose it matters. Pretty sure he's wanted rid of pretty much every Hearts manager....