Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

3 hours ago, Elshin said:

Brophy 12 league goals.  Juanma got 12 league goals in a season and wasnt liked by the majority hearts fans 

The Juanma argument should have shut a few people up recently. It hasn’t. Weird.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Your sarcasm would have been more effective if he had proved himself in the top division.

Remember Wyness, Reilly etc.

Remember Cameron and Hartley. 

Shite argument.

Juanma spent so much time casually strolling back from offside, and rolling around the floor after being breathed on. He got more and more infuriating despite scoring goals, because there was so much more potential if he went up a gear.

1 minute ago, kila said:

Juanma spent so much time casually strolling back from offside, and rolling around the floor after being breathed on. He got more and more infuriating despite scoring goals, because there was so much more potential if he went up a gear.

So?

Same could be said of Lafferty.

They both have the same scoring record in the league over one season. One in a poorer (although ultimately more successful) team than the other.

Edited by Jammy T

The Internet
21 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Doesn't QoS have more successful striker?  What about him?

He's 36.

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

At one point they were, but not anymore

Despite the money they are supposed to have and financial backing, they keep nicking players from Scottish Leagues and appear to be scrimping.

They Alim Ozturk as a starting player for example - you wont get into the Premier League with that

I don't think you can say you fancy them for promotion. Teams like Derby etc will be right up for it so its not going to be a given

You don't think someone can say they fancy Sunderland for promotion next season because teams already a division above them will be right up for it???

Absolute Scenes
Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

You don't think someone can say they fancy Sunderland for promotion next season because teams already a division above them will be right up for it???

Yeah hands up I absolutely shot myself there ? even worse me thinking Sunderland were in the championship. Boy would be an idiot to go there

rick witter
8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Yeah hands up I absolutely shot myself there ? even worse me thinking Sunderland were in the championship. Boy would be an idiot to go there

He would make 3 or 4 times the money any club in Scotland out-with the old firm could offer him though. That is a huge factor 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
51 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

So?

Same could be said of Lafferty.

They both have the same scoring record in the league over one season. One in a poorer (although ultimately more successful) team than the other.

Lafferty was several notches above Juanma. 

As Kila mentioned if Juanma had focused on himself more he could easily have been as good as Lafferty. 

Paterson didn't really care for him 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

He would make 3 or 4 times the money any club in Scotland out-with the old firm could offer him though. That is a huge factor 

Money talks but sad days when it comes to a player choosing a 3rd Division English club over a Scottish Premiership club.

Adam Rooney went the whole hog and joined a non-league club.

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Money talks but sad days when it comes to a player choosing a 3rd Division English club over a Scottish Premiership club.

Adam Rooney went the whole hog and joined a non-league club.

They're not non league now.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They're not non league now.

Might do a Tranmere as well

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

Yeah I get what you’re saying & I’m not against it as such. But he is a big gamble and we’ve not had great luck with those. 

The emphasis coming out of the club from Naismith & Levein has been that we need to add proven quality. Players that will drag us through games when necessary. 

Its entirely possible he’ll come in and be a success, but if we are basing our success on this type of signing, chances of finishing higher than 5th don’t really increase. 

Whilst every signing is a risk there will be there players that are less of a risk. 

The trouble there is that strikers are generally the most expensive players to sign, with ones that are proven regular goalscorers generally the most expensive strikers! So unless you've got lots of money to spend, you simply don't have the option of signing proven quality goalscorers at the sort of level your club plays at, whatever level that might be. The proven goalscorers will always be bought up by either richer teams at your level (i.e. rangers or celtic in our case) or by clubs at a higher, or at least wealthier, level elsewhere.  This means that if we want a prolific striker, our only options are to develop one through the youth system, which takes a lot of time  (hopefully we're not too far away from one coming through); sign one from a lower level and hope they can make the step up; or sign a striker that isn't, or hasn't yet been, prolific at our level, and try to turn them into a prolific scorer (and even that's probably outwith our reach if lack of regular scoring is the only weakness in their game). Unfortunately, we simply don't have the option of just going out and signing someone that's already a regular scorer at our level.

FarmerTweedy
28 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Happens to us all mate!

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Doesn't QoS have more successful striker?  What about him?

Google him, then you'll get your answer. 

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Obviously Keena has broken through and will likely be part of the squad next season.  He's done well at a lower level and I think he'll  succeed with us as he seems to be determined to push himself.

Rory Currie has been plagued by injury and was on loan at East Fife last season.  I'll be surprised if he's not released this summer.

Euan Henderson was also on loan at Montrose and done pretty well.  Whether he has enough to step up to our level, only time will tell but I think he'll go out on loan again .  He is highly rated at the club.

below that, we have Leroy Makovora, Ryan Schiavone and Mackenzie Ramos.  They're all very young and still developing.

If we stick him straight into the first team, there's got to be some club that will think he's got to be an undiscovered Spanish wonderkid with a distant Scottish relative and sign him for a couple of million without even bothering to watch him play first!

19 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If we stick him straight into the first team, there's got to be some club that will think he's got to be an undiscovered Spanish wonderkid with a distant Scottish relative and sign him for a couple of million without even bothering to watch him play first!

Euan Henderson is pish 

Can people please stop making the Reilly comparison?

Reilly scored 14 in 38 for Queen of the South the year before he joined us. Shankland has scored 34 in 41. 20 goals more!

47 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Google him, then you'll get your answer. 

Bit tricky when I didnt know his name.  Not having a go.  Now that I know he's nearly 80 I can understand why clubs aren't clamouring for him.

Not so sure why they're not clamoring for Shankland though.  Bit fishy.

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Bit tricky when I didnt know his name.  Not having a go.  Now that I know he's nearly 80 I can understand why clubs aren't clamouring for him.

You’re at it! That’s Kenny MacLean and Stephen Dobbie that you’ve claimed not to know about this week. You’ve clearly got the internet in NZ, you must be at the windup?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I know, right? This thread is a glittering demonstration of the collective football knowledge of JKB. No wonder folk get so worked up!

How do you know about him Doug, if you don’t know his name?

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

As Kila mentioned if Juanma had focused on himself more he could easily have been as good as Lafferty. 

Please explain and prove that someone who scored 13 goals in the league and wasn’t a team player was a ‘notch above’ a player that scored 13 goals in the league and wasn’t a team player where the former was in a team that finished 3rd and the other in one that finished 6th?

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You’re at it! That’s Kenny MacLean and Stephen Dobbie that that you’ve claimed not to know about this week. You’ve clearly got the internet in NZ, you must be at the windup?

Steven Dobbie.  In what way did I reference him?  If he's the Queens guy, all I remember is seeing on my phone app that one if them had scored a ton of goals.  Oddly enough that was because I was looking to see how many Shankland had scored.  Didn't realise I had to memorise his name.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The trouble there is that strikers are generally the most expensive players to sign, with ones that are proven regular goalscorers generally the most expensive strikers! So unless you've got lots of money to spend, you simply don't have the option of signing proven quality goalscorers at the sort of level your club plays at, whatever level that might be. The proven goalscorers will always be bought up by either richer teams at your level (i.e. rangers or celtic in our case) or by clubs at a higher, or at least wealthier, level elsewhere.  This means that if we want a prolific striker, our only options are to develop one through the youth system, which takes a lot of time  (hopefully we're not too far away from one coming through); sign one from a lower level and hope they can make the step up; or sign a striker that isn't, or hasn't yet been, prolific at our level, and try to turn them into a prolific scorer (and even that's probably outwith our reach if lack of regular scoring is the only weakness in their game). Unfortunately, we simply don't have the option of just going out and signing someone that's already a regular scorer at our level.

I understand all of that. But don’t you think it’s stupid to come out and say that if it’s not achievable? 

The club must know that a lot of supporters are unhappy with the transfer business, so why set expectations high if they had no intention or means of doing it? 

Why not come out and say listen we are going to have to keep taking punts on players that may progress and may not?  

I don’t have a problem with us living within our means and by all means Shankland may be a success. But I also fully believe there will be better options out there if we are doing the scouting properly. 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

See above.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Quite a few more players didn’t care for “Laff” than didn’t care for Juanma.....

Aguiar didn’t care for Brellier.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Steven Dobbie.  In what way did I reference him?  If he's the Queens guy, all I remember is seeing on my phone app that one if them had scored a ton of goals.  Oddly enough that was because I was looking to see how many Shankland had scored.  Didn't realise I had to memorise his name.  Sorry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Dobbie

Aye, he’s the ‘Queens guy’ also played for Hibs and St Johnstone. Played against Hearts countless times. Do you follow football generally or just Hearts?

indianajones
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Sunderlands one of those opportunities that don't come along often. That said, its doubtful he'll be first, second or even third choice there. We might be able to match Sunderlands offer and be able to bump him into being a starter most weeks depending on his form. 

I'm biased but I think if he has confidence in his abilities he'd be better using us as a stop over before heading south. If he joins us and hits 15+ goals he'll get a good move down south the following year. More than likely, if he heads direct to Sunderland he'll be lucky to be a bench warmer. Scotland need a striker, he could be leading the line for Steve Clarke if he makes the right decision this summer. 

Perhaps a wee while ago but its a fairly weak statement nowadays. 

Younger players would be better away from teams like Sunderland imo. 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Dobbie

Aye, he’s the ‘Queens guy’ also played for Hibs and St Johnstone. Played against Hearts countless times. Do you follow football generally or just Hearts?

Just Hearts, plus club football here when the weather's decent.  In my defence  he's hardly a big name and neither is MacLean.  If a player is mentioned on here in connection with Hearts, I'm keen to learn a lot about him.

I've posted on here before, I'm a Hearts supporter full stop.  When I lived in London I went to see Chelsea 3 times and was bored to tears because I didn't support them and had no interest in the result.

That's just me.  Lots of people are much keener football supporters.

Mr Elwood P

Just Hearts, plus club football here when the weather's decent.  In my defence  he's hardly a big name and neither is MacLean.  If a player is mentioned on here in connection with Hearts, I'm keen to learn a lot about him.

I've posted on here before, I'm a Hearts supporter full stop.  When I lived in London I went to see Chelsea 3 times and was bored to tears because I didn't support them and had no interest in the result.

That's just me.  Lots of people are much keener football supporters.

Fair enough. I’m the opposite, devour all the football I can get. Have subscriptions to SkySports, BT Sports and had ElevenSports and Premier this season so as not to miss any of the Dutch, Spanish, Italian or German games. Wife loves it!

I would say in a Scottish football context MacLean and Dobbie are very well known but if you only follow Hearts they could have slipped under your radar. I tend to take an interest in the opposition players as well though. 

Would personally be really pleased if this rumour was true and if shankland ends up with us. No guarantees with any player.

His goal scoring and assists record is impressive to say the least. 

And surely he’s got a decent chance of substantial game time with us compared to lots of other clubs. 

Do the sensible thing Lawrence and join the jambos. 

Add a couple of creative midfielders and I might even get excited about next season!

12 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Correct

Stevie May is an utter huddy who has absolutely conned Aberdeen out of a 4 years deal

Thirded.He has shown nothing since he returned.

11 minutes ago, smartinmaroon said:

Would personally be really pleased if this rumour was true and if shankland ends up with us. No guarantees with any player.

His goal scoring and assists record is impressive to say the least. 

And surely he’s got a decent chance of substantial game time with us compared to lots of other clubs. 

Do the sensible thing Lawrence and join the jambos. 

Add a couple of creative midfielders and I might even get excited about next season!

And Vanacek might come good.  I know.  But he might.

Shankland worries me only to the extent that his goalscoring feats prior to his injury should have attracted more interest than they appear to have done.

Anyway, if he comes to us I will be excited to see how he does.

Just to frustrate those concerned with my lack of knowledge of non-Hearts player who are obscure from my perspective, I had never heard of Ryan Fraser either.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Shankland worries me only to the extent that his goalscoring feats prior to his injury should have attracted more interest than they appear to have done.

?fair enough. I’m usually an optimist but don’t have much hope re vanecek, but happy to be wrong. 

Dunno about ‘issues ‘ with shankland, but if we can manage a bam like lafferty, then who knows ?

letsalldothebeattie
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Can people please stop making the Reilly comparison?

Reilly scored 14 in 38 for Queen of the South the year before he joined us. Shankland has scored 34 in 41. 20 goals more!

In defence of Reilly that was a very tough championship with us Hibs & Rangers. Yes the Championship is a tough league but it doesn’t have 3 of the biggest clubs in the country now

Why do we need Shankland when we have Wighton................I’ll get my coat.

4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Remember Cameron and Hartley. 

Shite argument.

I don't actually recall either as being a prolific striker.

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Maybe it was doing his nut in.

7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

See above.

You remember his club. So you could have Googled Queen of the south striker.

But hey, I'm the same, I'd rather Google JKB 

10 hours ago, Jammy T said:

The Juanma argument should have shut a few people up recently. It hasn’t. Weird.

Its just hearts fans only see positives when they want.   Yes juanma was infuriating but he was new to the league and country, imo we should have stuck with him and he may have adapted his game and got more goals.  

Yet fans basically chase him out expecting more and then cream thenselves over players at other teams with a similar scoring record. Just find it like you say 'weird'

Edited by Elshin

fabienleclerq
5 minutes ago, Elshin said:

Its just hearts fans only see positives when they want.   Yes juanma was infuriating but he was new to the league and country, imo we should have stuck with him and he may have adapted his game and got more goals.  

Yet fans basically chase him out expecting more and then cream thenselves over players at other teams with a similar scoring record. Just find it like you say 'weird'

The fans chased him out? 

I seem to remember him being dropped rather quickly by the coaching staff which suggests they had a fall out. 

9 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The fans chased him out? 

I seem to remember him being dropped rather quickly by the coaching staff which suggests they had a fall out. 

Fans gave him stick most weeks.   Tynie can be a horrible place for our own players when fans turn.   That happened to juanma.

The fact he was dropped for sammon maybe says more about the coaching team at the time.  playing sammon away in malta ahead of juanma and then complaing about the effect the heat had on the players after the game.  But anyway thats a different topic.

Back on topic i would take shankland.  We need more players that know how to score a goal even if he was a squad player.

8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Shanklands ‘issues’ at Aberdeen were fitness related, think Stevie Fulton!