Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

8 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’m still recovering from the Wyness hype.

We thought you were shite....you turned out alright.......

Walking in a Wyness wonderland.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Seen him for Scotland Under 21s several times, think he has quality. Not sure about the fortitude to play at the top level

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

I’m not suggesting we go out and buy a premier league striker, but there are a lot of players out there that I’d expect a scouting system to identify. 

If we want to improve then I personally don’t think a player from a mid table championship club is the answer. 

The club have said that we are signing players who are going to come in and immediately improve our starting lineup. Yes all signings are a risk, but to me Shankland is a bigger risk than is required.

If we are as you say restricted to League 2 in England & lower leagues in Scotland, then maybe the manager shouldn’t be stating that we are bringing in high quality? 

Don’t see what’s difficult to get.

We can get a mix, tho. 

Every signing doesn't need to result in a collective meltdown. 

Also, I wouldn't take CL too Litterally, we'll still get in a few gambles. 

If we are after two strikers, Shankland and McGennis is a good combination and both are different. 

However, both have had a mixed reaction on here. 

Older, current intentional, proven as a decent goal scorer in this league and a youngish striker that has scored a barrel load at a lower division. 

Can't see what else we can be trying tbh. 

These are the types of signings we should be after. 

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Ah, memories of Basel away ?.

27 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

I’m not suggesting we go out and buy a premier league striker, but there are a lot of players out there that I’d expect a scouting system to identify. 

If we want to improve then I personally don’t think a player from a mid table championship club is the answer. 

The club have said that we are signing players who are going to come in and immediately improve our starting lineup. Yes all signings are a risk, but to me Shankland is a bigger risk than is required.

If we are as you say restricted to League 2 in England & lower leagues in Scotland, then maybe the manager shouldn’t be stating that we are bringing in high quality? 

What I’m saying is that there has to be a level of realism. Of course we want to bring on the highest level of quality that we can, however quality is all relative.

Our budget is limited, so the level of quality we can buy will be restricted.

Surely looking at the top scorers in the league below is exactly where we should be looking, on the basis that we can’t afford to buy players that are top scorers in the league we are in, as these players will be either out of budget or will be looking to step up a level.

There will always be exceptions, like nabbing Naismith and Lafferty on loan or for free, however these not many of players like that kicking about who are will to take a step down or a huge cut in earnings.

22 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

To think some cheered him and booed Sir Paul on the day they were introduced at Tynecastle.

A_A wehatethehibs

32 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

Imagine if the boy scored 50 goals in 61 appearances for Hearts? 2 years time he’ll be 25 years old and starting games for Scotland, and better clubs than Sunderland will he in. That is £££ for Hearts. The potential payoff is huge and the comparative risk is not that big. A couple of years wages, same as we’ve pished away on Martin, Sammon, Oshaniwa and others. 

Theres not many other realistic names are at the career stage age 23 to have that potential which Shankland has. Yes he could be another Reilly or Keatings, but a better case scenario he could turn out to be another Stevo or Templeton, could be a Leigh Griffiths or best miracle case he could even end up as another Andy Robertson. The boy has his whole career ahead of him so who knows. There really are not very many strikers out there with his goalscoring record available to Hearts.

We all know the proof is in the pudding if he did sign, but to actually get him signed would be a coup. 

If he is a “does nothing all game except score a goal” that is my dream sort of player. I would love to see a Kris Boyd type in a Hearts shirt for once in my life, instead of a rival club. Does nothing all game, 300 odd career goals. Shankland is definitely worth the gamble.

Legend Claws
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hearts must gamble on someone up front.

If it’s not Shankland, then it has to be someone. Lafferty is an obvious choice on a free or maybe Stevie May could be buyable if Aberdeen want to cut their losses. They got him for £300k, maybe they’d take £200k as he’s not been good for them goals wise. Know he looks a dud up there but it’s one of those where, budget wise Hearts need to be seeking out a striker who has been a goalscorer in the past but been out of form. Then we hope he clicks into form, that’s the gamble. 

Someone must be brought in to roll the dice on being that partner for Uche. There are a lot of good strikers out there who would love to be playing alongside the big tank, a good striker would get minimum 15-20 goals off the back of the mayhem he causes and the supply lines from Naismith, Mulraney and (whisper it) Clare if he clicks as he has looked like doing in flashes this season.

Our goalscoring IMO is a serious crisis which from the sounds coming out about expected “quiet summer window” raises massive alarm bells for me. Shankland would be a sensational tonic for that but i can’t see us being able to compete if Sunderland have a contract on the table. The only draw would surely be playing alongside the experience of Naismith and the power of Uche. Hearts are set up perfectly for a hungry striker to come in here and score goals at which point Shankland would be looking at far better clubs than Sunderland.

Pay Aberdeen for a dud? Eh?!

1 hour ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Should have made this move last Summer. 

Would Wighton have scored 50 goals in 61 games in the Championship? 

Worth the risk if its a free surely. 

Yes

You should always be able to predict the future. 

Though no one predicted the goals would dry up and Ayr would falter so badly. 

Edited by Mikey1874

merseyjambo

Personal opinion, Shankland is too much of a gamble. Not a proven goal scorer at a higher level. His scoring record at lower levels is similar to someone like Jason Cummins who has struggled at a higher level

2 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Personal opinion, Shankland is too much of a gamble. Not a proven goal scorer at a higher level. His scoring record at lower levels is similar to someone like Jason Cummins who has struggled at a higher level

We don’t have the finances to buy proven scorers at a “higher level” unless a fluke such as Naismith and Lafferty. 

I would love us to be able to do so. We did get Livi captain so think that was a coup but we need to be a bit realistic in who we might be able to sign. We have a chance with Shankland offering him game time and exposure - if successful, the next move for him could be a big one. For us and him. Sunderland/Rangers will offer immediate financial gain but he may not get the same exposure and may miss out on a real big move. 

I would be willing to give him a try. 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hearts must gamble on someone up front.

If it’s not Shankland, then it has to be someone. Lafferty is an obvious choice on a free or maybe Stevie May could be buyable if Aberdeen want to cut their losses. They got him for £300k, maybe they’d take £200k as he’s not been good for them goals wise. Know he looks a dud up there but it’s one of those where, budget wise Hearts need to be seeking out a striker who has been a goalscorer in the past but been out of form. Then we hope he clicks into form, that’s the gamble. 

Someone must be brought in to roll the dice on being that partner for Uche. There are a lot of good strikers out there who would love to be playing alongside the big tank, a good striker would get minimum 15-20 goals off the back of the mayhem he causes and the supply lines from Naismith, Mulraney and (whisper it) Clare if he clicks as he has looked like doing in flashes this season.

Our goalscoring IMO is a serious crisis which from the sounds coming out about expected “quiet summer window” raises massive alarm bells for me. Shankland would be a sensational tonic for that but i can’t see us being able to compete if Sunderland have a contract on the table. The only draw would surely be playing alongside the experience of Naismith and the power of Uche. Hearts are set up perfectly for a hungry striker to come in here and score goals at which point Shankland would be looking at far better clubs than Sunderland.

May? 

He’s dross imo... Looks finished when you look back at some of the Sheep games last season. 

We need to snatch someone on an upward curve and build around them. 

Maroon Sailor

Shankland could be what Sundrawland need. League One would be a good start for him

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Celtic and Rangers both dropped interest in him as seemingly there were off field issues allegedly, could of course be bullxxxx.

I have no doubt there is an off-field issue that has led to such a prolific goalscorer not being snatched on pre-contract in January or even last year when he was on fire. Avoid.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, sac said:

What is our striker options within our academy?

Connor Smith

i wish jj was my dad

He has goals in him. That's for sure so I'm tempted but from what little I've seen he seems similar to Keena and neither look a likely pairing to Uche for me 

I think we need somebody with pace who can play on the shoulder of the last man. Dunno who that is though. 

14 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

If you want to try and get a prolific striker and not pay zillions where do you think you'll get one ? 

If he was a proven goalscorer at our level we couldn't afford him !

Think if you reread your post it's possible you'll spot a few flaws in your own logic 

55 minutes ago, combo74 said:

What I’m saying is that there has to be a level of realism. Of course we want to bring on the highest level of quality that we can, however quality is all relative.

Our budget is limited, so the level of quality we can buy will be restricted.

Surely looking at the top scorers in the league below is exactly where we should be looking, on the basis that we can’t afford to buy players that are top scorers in the league we are in, as these players will be either out of budget or will be looking to step up a level.

There will always be exceptions, like nabbing Naismith and Lafferty on loan or for free, however these not many of players like that kicking about who are will to take a step down or a huge cut in earnings.

Yeah I get what you’re saying & I’m not against it as such. But he is a big gamble and we’ve not had great luck with those. 

The emphasis coming out of the club from Naismith & Levein has been that we need to add proven quality. Players that will drag us through games when necessary. 

Its entirely possible he’ll come in and be a success, but if we are basing our success on this type of signing, chances of finishing higher than 5th don’t really increase. 

Whilst every signing is a risk there will be there players that are less of a risk. 

Finlay James
8 minutes ago, sac said:

Obviously Keena has broken through and will likely be part of the squad next season.  He's done well at a lower level and I think he'll  succeed with us as he seems to be determined to push himself.

Rory Currie has been plagued by injury and was on loan at East Fife last season.  I'll be surprised if he's not released this summer.

Euan Henderson was also on loan at Montrose and done pretty well.  Whether he has enough to step up to our level, only time will tell but I think he'll go out on loan again .  He is highly rated at the club.

below that, we have Leroy Makovora, Ryan Schiavone and Mackenzie Ramos.  They're all very young and still developing.

3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He has goals in him. That's for sure so I'm tempted but from what little I've seen he seems similar to Keena and neither look a likely pairing to Uche for me 

I think we need somebody with pace who can play on the shoulder of the last man. Dunno who that is though. 

Think the comparison with Keena is a good one. In glimpses he’s looked good and not sure Shankland is much better then he is. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Debut 4 said:

May? 

He’s dross imo... Looks finished when you look back at some of the Sheep games last season. 

We need to snatch someone on an upward curve and build around them. 

Quite possibly he is, but as I’ve said, that poor form is what puts him in our price bracket. We’d be gambling on him re-discovering his old self alongside his old mate Stephen Maclean. I’d have him over Craig Wighton that’s for sure. Probably I’d go for lafferty over May. But I’d go for shankland over any of them. 

Its all just speculation anyway, who “could” we get to try and solve our awful goalscoring problem outside Naismith. We’ve got a dozen players in midfield, wing and attack who’ve contributed only about 15-20 league goals between them. Embarrassing.

I don’t want Naismith playing every game I want other options so we can wrap him in cotton wool for the business end of the season. Hearts need to be able to win games without him, to do that we need goals, IMO we need at minimum 1 striker and 1 attacking midfielder or winger to replace Djoum. 

3 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Just seen on Twitter that we have made contact with the soon to be former Ayr United forward. Sunderland have tabled a contract offer for him as well. It’s in the Sun but they’ve been pretty bang on with transfers we’ve made over the years 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4355594/sunderland-ayr-united-lawrence-shankland-hearts/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Will be interesting to see where he goes. He will be more likely to get game time with us than Sunderland but depends if that or money is driving him 

It’s a yes from me he knows where the net is but we must change our style of play 

We need to be more creative he will not do anything but under the style of football 

We need width and a more creative midfield unfortunately I can’t see that under levein 

Gene Parmesan
28 minutes ago, sac said:

Keena, Currie, Henderson, Makovora, Charleston-King

Maroonblood22

All depends on the cost really and what the club are expecting of him if they sign him.

If they see him as 'the quality we need up front' right away then I very much doubt he is, however logic would suggest this is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at considering his goal return in the league below and our budget. As most have said, it's a gamble but as are all signings.

If he and Keena are used off the bench this season and get some goals between them then that will help develop them to kick on for the season after. BUT, we would still need to add some real quality to the squad for this season. 

2 hours ago, Cheile said:

BBC gossip says der Hun are looking at McGennis.

It's now or never for rangers to stop celtic getting 10 in a row.

Rangers need a player who will come in and hit the ground running.

Shankland will need time to adjust to the step up.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

All depends on the cost really and what the club are expecting of him if they sign him.

If they see him as 'the quality we need up front' right away then I very much doubt he is, however logic would suggest this is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at considering his goal return in the league below and our budget. As most have said, it's a gamble but as are all signings.

If he and Keena are used off the bench this season and get some goals between them then that will help develop them to kick on for the season after. BUT, we would still need to add some real quality to the squad for this season. 

As Ian McCall said - he wouldn't come to us unless he's playing regularly

He'd be starting imo

Am being serious here, would rather sign Cumdog, scouts that have watched Shankland second half of past season said he was horrendous, games I watched he was subbed plus weight issues in past 

Maroonblood22
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

As Ian McCall said - he wouldn't come to us unless he's playing regularly

He'd be starting imo

Playing regularly doesn't mean starting every game though. His expectations also need to be managed, will he be expecting to be starting regularly for the top 4/5 teams in our league? I doubt very much that he'd be a regular starter for Sunderland either.

3 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Celtic and Rangers both dropped interest in him as seemingly there were off field issues allegedly, could of course be bullxxxx.

Surely off field issues are a condition for signing for either of those two ?

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Folk on here previously, crying into their Coco Pops, that Hearts must attempt to enquire about Shankland.

Well, we have. So the "lack of ambition" shite about improving our striker options, will now stop I suppose...?

Nah. Thought not.

He's definitely worth looking at. No complaints from me.

26 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Am being serious here, would rather sign Cumdog, scouts that have watched Shankland second half of past season said he was horrendous, games I watched he was subbed plus weight issues in past 

Why would you even use that nickname for Cummings? Weird.

52 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

Think the comparison with Keena is a good one. In glimpses he’s looked good and not sure Shankland is much better then he is. 

I've got high hopes long term for Keena, he looks a confident and greedy, good things in a penalty box player.

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

his goals dried up in the second half of the season

As far as I can see he still scored 5 in his last 12 games, which is pretty good - or certainly doesn't sound like "dried up". I think it's just in comparison to his phenomenal scoring rate pre Christmas.

Like Rudi scoring in his first 7 games - no-one can keep that rate up.

OmiyaHearts

Shankland would be be worth the risk. 34 goals and 8 assists in 41 competitive matches last season makes it a reasonable punt, IMO.

Someone above suggested Cummings:  0 goals in 2019 and less than 90 minutes played (over 6 matches). Mental.

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

As far as I can see he still scored 5 in his last 12 games, which is pretty good - or certainly doesn't sound like "dried up". I think it's just in comparison to his phenomenal scoring rate pre Christmas.

He was carrying an injury as well, so it's a decent strike rate. The Ayr team as a whole had a drop in form after new year.

Absolute Scenes
34 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Playing regularly doesn't mean starting every game though. His expectations also need to be managed, will he be expecting to be starting regularly for the top 4/5 teams in our league? I doubt very much that he'd be a regular starter for Sunderland either.

agreed :thumbs_up:

if the lad is smart he'll avoid Sunderland despite how much more they can offer to us

Gene Parmesan
3 minutes ago, chazza74 said:

Zanatta?

Oh aye.

I don't think Zanatta, Currie or Henderson are too much longer for this parish tbf.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
10 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Shankland would be be worth the risk. 34 goals and 8 assists in 41 competitive matches last season makes it a reasonable punt, IMO.

Someone above suggested Cummings:  0 goals in 2019 and less than 90 minutes played (over 6 matches). Mental.

He won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. Strange creatures.

Maroonblood22
3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

agreed :thumbs_up:

if the lad is smart he'll avoid Sunderland despite how much more they can offer to us

Absolutely, and I hope he has smart people around him to give him sound advice on his next move for the benefit of his career and not just his wallet ?

1 hour ago, sac said:

We’ve not produced a decent striker through the ranks since Scott Crabbe.....30 years ago.

Unknown user
18 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

He scored 18 league goals in the first half of the season, 6 in the second.

You're right, we could debate "dried up" all day but there's no doubt his scoring rate dropped dramatically.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lawrence-shankland/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/225744/saison/2018/wettbewerb/SC2/verein/1192

bajthejambo
2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Whereas Hearts fans are renowned for being extremely tolerant.

Genuinely laughed out loud at that! 

A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

He won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. Strange creatures.

Controversial but I personally would take Cummings for 3 reasons:

1 For the seethe. The boy is a nutter, so he would probably go for number 51 on his shirt just for a laugh 

2 I think he would bag a hatful of goals playing alongside Uche and Naismith

3 It would stop Hibs or any other Scottish side from signing him and him scoring another 10 or 20 goals against us. 

He is definitely too much of a chav for levein or Budge though, and a lot of the fans. He would shortly be in the papers for some antics. We wouldn’t want a goalscoring ned at Hearts, lord no gosh no we can’t have that. We need good guys, good respectable pro (who barely scores 3 goals a season)

If Shankland is cheap, he’s worth a Gavin Reilly style punt as that’s what he’d be. Haven’t seen him play so have no idea what he’d bring to the team. We’ve seen prolific strikers at a lower level fail to step up lots of times. Cummings being a good example.

Can’t help but think if he had genuine quality someone would have come up with the fee while he was under contract.