Vanecek leaves Hearts by mutual consent (title updated)

MaskedMarauder

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Each manager has been given the autonomy to make their own signings. Cathro signed Martin, Levein signed Vanaeck, Neilson signed Sammon. The structure now is different as Levein doesn't have a DOF to bounce ideas off, as he occupies both roles. To properly look at recruitment you need to do it by individual manager. I actually think we got caught out by our own success in the Championship season. We expected to spend two seasons at that level and recruited accordingly. The instant return meant we had to start moving that squad on to be competitive at Premiership level but I think we were a bit too hasty.

Yeah but I think the person who identifies the players or brings players to the clubs attention maybe the problem, rather than the managers signing them. John Murray has been responsible for a huge amount of failures. Was Murray involved with Vlad as well? Genuine question. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mr Elwood P

• Bazzas right boot

• i8hibsh

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve went from having some sympathy for him to **** him. If as a couple of other posters have intimated that his attitude was honking then good riddance to the twat.

I was certain he was going to be a star for us too :facepalm: :lol: 

And me. I had high hopes for the boy, but like the player they have faded away.

Jambo 4 Ever
23 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We needed a replacement for Lafferty. We signed a replacement for Lafferty. The replacement came from the 13th best European league, by UEFA ranking, to play in the 20th ranked European league. The signing didn’t work. What’s perplexing?

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Not enough scouting was done

Geoff Kilpatrick

You have to hand it to Vanecek. It's quite an effort to offer less in a Hearts jersey than Mike Tullberg and David Witteveen!

Robbo-Jambo
10 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

There wouldn't have been - Vanecek is clearly desperate to leave, there are a number of teams interested in his services - his agent has probably lined up a deal for him back home with the caveat of "get out of your Hearts contract and you can bag a nice signing on fee."  Hearts view is to simply get him of the wage bill asap and not be dragged into negotiations etc.  Everyone wins.   The only way we would terminate and give Vanecek compensation is if it was late August and he wasn't making an impact and there is no teams interested.

Yeah thinking about it again your reasoning would be most likely to be correct. 

Main thing he is away!! Disaster from start to finish and possibly more to it than meets the eye. ?

Mr Elwood P
Just now, busby1985 said:

Yeah but I think the person who identifies the players or brings players to the clubs attention maybe the problem, rather than the managers signing them. John Murray has been responsible for a huge amount of failures. Was Murray involved with Vlad as well? Genuine question. 

Which signings have been John Murray's? One person doesn't identify the players. It is a collective effort. Since Austin MacPhee arrived we've signed four Northern Irish players; Michael Smith, Kyle Lafferty, Bobby Burns and Aaron Hughes. I'd be very surprised if the Northern Ireland assistance manager working at our club didn't play some role in all of these signings. Gomis and Buaben both played under Levein at Dundee United and then under Neilson at Hearts, clearly Levein involved in those transfers to some extent.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You have to hand it to Vanecek. It's quite an effort to offer less in a Hearts jersey than Mike Tullberg and David Witteveen!

:laugh: That's some feat. 

12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

You owe me 23p ?

I think you will find that the answer was in the post above mine so you owe me 23p.  ;) 

Pretty sure you were sharpening your pitchfork for John Murray. Apologies if not the case.

Edited by graygo

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Not enough scouting was done

How much scouting was done? I don't think this situation has anything to do with ability.  

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Which signings have been John Murray's? One person doesn't identify the players. It is a collective effort. Since Austin MacPhee arrived we've signed four Northern Irish players; Michael Smith, Kyle Lafferty, Bobby Burns and Aaron Hughes. I'd be very surprised if the Northern Ireland assistance manager working at our club didn't play some role in all of these signings. Gomis and Buaben both played under Levein at Dundee United and then under Neilson at Hearts, clearly Levein involved in those transfers to some extent.

So the head of recruitment doesn’t play any part in the transfer process, so why does he get a wage? Genuine question, not being a dick. If the manager and assistant bring in and identify their own players, what’s the point in Murray? 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I think you will find that the answer was in the post above mine so you owe me 23p.  ;) 

Donate to the big hearts and call it quits?

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

So the head of recruitment doesn’t play any part in the transfer process, so why does he get a wage? Genuine question, not being a dick. If the manager and assistant bring in and identify their own players, what’s the point in Murray? 

You're the only person saying that. I said it was a collective effort, which you seem to have ignored.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Unknown user
Just now, busby1985 said:

Jesus wept, surely this is trolling

17 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Each manager has been given the autonomy to make their own signings. Cathro signed Martin, Levein signed Vanaeck, Neilson signed Sammon. The structure now is different as Levein doesn't have a DOF to bounce ideas off, as he occupies both roles. To properly look at recruitment you need to do it by individual manager. I actually think we got caught out by our own success in the Championship season. We expected to spend two seasons at that level and recruited accordingly. The instant return meant we had to start moving that squad on to be competitive at Premiership level but I think we were a bit too hasty.

Think that was the beginning of the poor recruitment and I still think it was crazy to break up the squad that walked the Championship. 

...a bit disco

Cole Stockton though.

How quickly life passes us by in the modern age.

You're the only person saying that. I said it was a collective effort, which you seem to have ignored.

You’re right I must’ve missed the collective part, was being genuine not trying to be a dick. His name is always spouted on here, normally when something doesn’t work out, and I wondered what his actual role was. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We needed a replacement for Lafferty. We signed a replacement for Lafferty. The replacement came from the 13th best European league, by UEFA ranking, to play in the 20th ranked European league. The signing didn’t work. What’s perplexing?

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Did we meet him in person or base our signing on the fact of where he played and you tube videos of his goals?

We seem to be signing people on CVs and that is it.  Do we think about logistics? How they will fit in to the dressing room and team? What their attitudes are like?

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

Think that was the beginning of the poor recruitment and I still think it was crazy to break up the squad that walked the Championship. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc/alletransfers/verein/43

Good to be able to look at the transfers season by season.

This transfer window looks amazing:

In:

White 

Halkett

Out:

Hughes

Martin

Sammon 

Vanacek 

Might be prudent to get Naismith in and just bolt the doors shut.

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Whoever scouted him

must carry some blame. Whoever signed him must carry some blame. Whoever was in charge must also carry some blame. I suspect John Murray, Craig Levien and Ann Budge have all had a hand in this debacle. Will any of them hold their hands up and admit thirst mistakes? 

By agreeing to let him go they have just done that. 

?

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Piles upon piles of shite being dumped on this thread.

Levein has shown this last season in particular that he will give players that don’t instantly hit the ground running a chance with a run of games.

Indeed of course he has been criticised for this such is the hypocrisy on here.

Given this the clear indications are that the players being given the chance have shown the right application and attitude and the one that hasn’t didn’t.

I don’t think it is rocket science 

Mulraney being a classic example

Poor kid was written off before he'd even arrived for pre season training by the usual Kickback mob. Edwards, slated all season as a horrific signing - still started and scored in a cup final. We've had a few signings over the years that have been failures but as a Scottish club, we aren't in a position where we have first dibs on excellent players, so our scouting will need to be based around other leagues that maybe fall off big clubs radars - Pater Haring as another example. Austrian second divison to one of the contenders for player of the season.

People like to point out the negative signings more than the successful positive ones - and to be honest the positive ones outweigh the negative ones - but again, that's missed by the pitchfork mob

Mr Elwood P

You’re right I must’ve missed the collective part, was being genuine not trying to be a dick. His name is always spouted on here, normally when something doesn’t work out, and I wondered what his actual role was. 

I don't really know anything about John Murray. Some signings have been attributed to certain members of staff in the press. Others such as Lafferty / Smith / Hughes or Gomis / Bauben the influence is fairly obvious.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

I don't really know anything about John Murray. Some signings have been attributed to certain members of staff in the press. Others such as Lafferty / Smith / Hughes or Gomis / Bauben the influence is fairly obvious.

To be fair to Murray he only seems to get mentioned when a situation like Vanecek crops up. No one mentioning him for the likes of Naismith etc, myself included. 

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Did we meet him in person or base our signing on the fact of where he played and you tube videos of his goals?

We seem to be signing people on CVs and that is it.  Do we think about logistics? How they will fit in to the dressing room and team? What their attitudes are like?

How would you suggest a club on Hearts budget scouts players? Manchester United scout the player for years, eventually make their move and it still turns out to be a disaster. Liverpool scouted Andy Robertson over 20 times. We don't have the budget to do this. We can't afford to buy the best players from our own league. What's the solution?

Mr Elwood P

To be fair to Murray he only seems to get mentioned when a situation like Vanecek crops up. No one mentioning him for the likes of Naismith etc, myself included. 

Pretty sure Naismith, Berra and Souttar are all Levein influenced signings. Nobody would want to admit that though.

Bazzas right boot

This thread is a belter. 

Every single poster who is first to scream wage thief, etc is moaning that we have let a signing that never worked out go. 

Signing does not work out- both parties agree. 

We move on. 

Perfect outcome giving the circumstances 

Some folk clearly like to moan but disguise it under something about wanting the best for Hearts. Madness and Tragic in equal measure. 

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How would you suggest a club on Hearts budget scouts players? Manchester United scout the player for years, eventually make their move and it still turns out to be a disaster. Liverpool scouted Andy Robertson over 20 times. We don't have the budget to do this. We can't afford to buy the best players from our own league. What's the solution?

That's not even scratching the surface of clubs recruitment in England. Sure I read recently Southampton has a dedicated office with over 30 staff that scout the entire world, collating every bit of data possible then moving the suggestion around until they get the player they're after, takes an eternity with a massive budget and they don't always get it right. 

Still, at least we've now got another stick to beat Mr Levein over the head with. 

The Vanacek Stick. 

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

That's not even scratching the surface of clubs recruitment in England. Sure I read recently Southampton has a dedicated office with over 30 staff that scout the entire world, collating every bit of data possible then moving the suggestion around until they get the player they're after, takes an eternity with a massive budget and they don't always get it right. 

Still, at least we've now got another stick to beat Mr Levein over the head with. 

The Vanacek Stick. 

I am aware, wish the rest were. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48413180

Interesting article, which gives an insight into different types of scouting .

3 hours ago, PB21 said:

That was my understanding also, my sons pal plays with Hearts and also said his attitude was shocking. He played with him many times in reserve team and whilst many lads were busting a gut to impress, he strolled around as big time charlie. 

I was in hospitality for the game against Dundee, the game where DV lasted 30 mins before he was substituted.

At half time a prominent figure at Hearts advised us that Hearts were shocked how unfit Vanacek was and despite knowing for six months he was coming to Edinburgh, had made absolutely no effort to learn English.

Playing devils advocate I assume the reason he started the games v Livvy and Dundee was down to the fact of the hype generated by the arrival and anticipation created by Vanacek and Hearts to a lesser extent, Hearts maybe felt they had to let the fans see this new signing or questions would have been asked sooner, obviously that worked out badly 

The solution is what we are trying to do, buy promising players and develop our own. The issue comes with bringing in ordinary players who don't add much. If we are going to bring in someone make it a player with proven quality to mitigate the risk. Halkett looks like a lower risk acquisition as he's played in the league and been successful but it is obviously still a risk because there are different pressures on playing for a bigger club. Hopefully we should be looking at bringing in less or no players so we give our young players a chance and give more game time to Clare, Mulraney and Wighton to help them improve. Looking at less players should also mean we can watch them in person. I don't want us to think we can turn around players and improve them enormously, I just want to see solid signings and giving players who our management team has identified as promising a chance over more than one season. 

7 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

The Vanacek Stick. 

Ours must be done by some wee bird sitting in the club shunky looking at panini sticker albums.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Jodami said:

The solution is what we are trying to do, buy promising players and develop our own. The issue comes with bringing in ordinary players who don't add much. If we are going to bring in someone make it a player with proven quality to mitigate the risk. Halkett looks like a lower risk acquisition as he's played in the league and been successful but it is obviously still a risk because there are different pressures on playing for a bigger club. Hopefully we should be looking at bringing in less or no players so we give our young players a chance and give more game time to Clare, Mulraney and Wighton to help them improve. Looking at less players should also mean we can watch them in person. I don't want us to think we can turn around players and improve them enormously, I just want to see solid signings and giving players who our management team has identified as promising a chance over more than one season. 

We should still be looking for the odd gem in Europe though, which will have a greater element of risk. Look what Celtic have done with Van Dijk and Wanyama! We were very successful at the start with these kinds of signings; Pallardo, Rossi, Djoum, Ozturk, Zeefuick etc .. Still an avenue worth pursuing. Ultimately signings are investments for the club and by diversifying the types of signings (investments) we reduce the overall risk.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We should still be looking for the odd gem in Europe though, which will have a greater element of risk. Look what Celtic have done with Van Dijk and Wanyama! We were very successful at the start with these kinds of signings; Pallardo, Rossi, Djoum, Ozturk, Zeefuick etc .. Still an avenue worth pursuing. Ultimately signings are investments for the club and by diversifying the types of signings (investments) we reduce the overall risk.

The original signings were successful at a lower level and we only ever made real money on the Sow deal (which still seems barely believable now!!). I like Djoum and he's been decent for us, Haring is slightly odd in that he has proved to be a good player in a different position. I think some of the more cautionary tales like Oshaniwa, Vanecek, Martin, Amankwaa and Cathro's January job lot show just how much risk there is in bringing these guys in. If you are going to bring someone in then I think you need to watch them in the flesh and do as much due diligence as you can.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

This thread is a belter. 

Every single poster who is first to scream wage thief, etc is moaning that we have let a signing that never worked out go. 

Signing does not work out- both parties agree. 

We move on. 

Perfect outcome giving the circumstances 

Some folk clearly like to moan but disguise it under something about wanting the best for Hearts. Madness and Tragic in equal measure. 

I think it is a showcase thread of how far people will go to meet their agenda. Desperate stuff.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Jodami said:

The original signings were successful at a lower level and we only ever made real money on the Sow deal (which still seems barely believable now!!). I like Djoum and he's been decent for us, Haring is slightly odd in that he has proved to be a good player in a different position. I think some of the more cautionary tales like Oshaniwa, Vanecek, Martin, Amankwaa and Cathro's January job lot show just how much risk there is in bringing these guys in. If you are going to bring someone in then I think you need to watch them in the flesh and do as much due diligence as you can.

The Osman Sow money will have covered the loss on the four you mention. Especially considering Vanacek and Amankwaa were on 18 month deals and left early. Bjorn Johnson has proven to be a great signing from Europe, unfortunately Cathro fired him out the door! We should do diligence on all signings but risk is an inherent part of the business. We can balance out the more risky signings with low risk Berra, Naismith, Lafferty type acquisitions. 

27 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

The Vanacek Stick. 

Southampton have a superb scouting system which helps them replace the players they sell for 

vast amounts of money. Get the scouting department right and you keep that conveyer of talent

coming through to the first team and you can sell when it suits everybody. OK  the Vanecek 

signing was a disaster all we can hope is it’s a lesson learned.

Haringshairband

While I do try to be optimistic in respect to Hearts, you do have to question the recruitment lately. Let's hope we get it right this season or I envisage a meltdown on here.

The Osman Sow money will have covered the loss on the four you mention. Especially considering Vanacek and Amankwaa were on 18 month deals and left early. Bjorn Johnson has proven to be a great signing from Europe, unfortunately Cathro fired him out the door! We should do diligence on all signings but risk is an inherent part of the business. We can balance out the more risky signings with low risk Berra, Naismith, Lafferty type acquisitions. 

Johnsen was a sore one, bit of a mystery as well because he was technically good which you would have thought would suit Cathro's plans. A debacle which set us back at least 18 months. 

I think what I'm driving it is looking at less players but spending more time watching them to try and mitigate risk. Our low risk players have been acquired through contacts in the management team rather than through our scouting network which is slightly damning in itself.

I genuinely don't think it's a case of adding players, it's new ideas from a coaching perspective to help break down teams at home. When we seen the likes of Smith, Irving, Cochrane and Hickey given game time they were trying to play football, particularly in transition which we were poor at last season. That's how they have been up brought up to play and I think ultimately that should be the real focus for the new season.

Phil Dunphy
17 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He talked himself up. It is there in black and white. Concede that you were wrong and stop embarrassing yourself. If you are in any further doubt check his social media!

He never did anything of the sort :laugh: Here’s how the difference works here;

”I really want to buy a Ferrari.”

This doesn’t mean I’m going to buy one. Or that I’m “bigging up” that I am. It’s merely a statement saying I would like to do that. 

I didn't think I’d have to explain the difference to a ****ing adult, but here we are.

:cornette:

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think it is a showcase thread of how far people will go to meet their agenda. Desperate stuff.

Yip 

My sc poll showed that as well.

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Southampton have a superb scouting system which helps them replace the players they sell for 

vast amounts of money. Get the scouting department right and you keep that conveyer of talent

coming through to the first team and you can sell when it suits everybody. OK  the Vanecek 

signing was a disaster all we can hope is it’s a lesson learned.

A disaster? 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

The Vanacek Stick. 

That means 29 staff are getting paid to run football manager over and over and over. 

?

The other other guy watching sky and  bt. 

Mr Elwood P
15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

He never did anything of the sort :laugh: Here’s how the difference works here;

”I really want to buy a Ferrari.”

This doesn’t mean I’m going to buy one. Or that I’m “bigging up” that I am. It’s merely a statement saying I would like to do that. 

I didn't think I’d have to explain the difference to a ****ing adult, but here we are.

:cornette:

That was worth the 17 hour wait.

I think you need to understand the difference between explicit and implied language. If you say you want to buy a Ferrari it is implied, that you think that at some point, you will be wealthy enough to afford one. Otherwise it is an idiotic statement. If you say you want to be the top goal scorer in Scottish Football, it is implied that you think you are very good at football and are going to score a lot of goals. The semantics between the use of 'want' or 'will' is irrelevant to the perception that is created by the comment. 

Perhaps if you use less emojis and replace them with actual words, you will find it easier to understand these things.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

8 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

That means 29 staff are getting paid to run football manager over and over and over. 

?

The other other guy watching sky and  bt. 

I don't think you're taking this situation very seriously Olly.

Supporters are embarrassed, its an horrific shambles of unaccountability. Toys have abandoned prams.

I fail to see how this CATASTROPHIC chain of events can amuse you.

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah Murray and Swanson were shipped out pretty sharpish. Terrible recruitment. Signed injured players. Shambles. Failed to persuade key players to stay. Inexcusable. Relied on lots of short term loans. Abysmal. And all while spending Hibs biggest ever transfer budget apparently. Answers required for sure.

Probably the reason most Hibs fans were happy to get rid of Lennon in January, then signed 4 players before the next manager arrived.

Phil Dunphy
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think you need to understand the difference between explicit and implied language. If you say you want to buy a Ferrari it is implied, that you think that at some point, you will be wealthy enough to afford one. Otherwise it is an idiotic statement. If you say you want to be the top goal scorer in Scottish Football, it is implied that you think you are very good at football and are going to score a lot of goals. The semantics between the use of 'want' or 'will' is irrelevant to the perception that is created by the comment. 

Perhaps if you use less emojis and replace them with actual words, you will find it easier to understand these things.

Sorry I wasn’t glued to Kickback all night to carry on this discussion with you. Apologies for having other things to do :laugh:

YOU are the one who’s perceived his comments to mean he’s proclaiming himself to be the Czech Henrik Larsson, while anyone with an ounce of sense can see that he’s merely saying he wanted his time at Hearts to be successful and capped off with silverware. 

You’ve picked one sentence from that entire article to back your point up, while completely ignoring everything else he said in the article. That’s your fault, not anyone else’s. If you want to talk to someone about understanding, do a better job of it yourself first. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

I don't think you're taking this situation very seriously Olly.

Supporters are embarrassed, its an horrific shambles of unaccountability. Toys have abandoned prams.

I fail to see how this CATASTROPHIC chain of events can amuse you.

I appoligise. 

It's a disaster. 

I should post more appropriately. 

images (13).jpeg

freakout.jpg

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_moneybuilder_files_2011_08_Freakout-240x300.jpg

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yip, folk don't seem to get that communication is only partly the words. 

Tone, context, actions, body language are far more Likley to convey the message than the actual words. 

I Think in spoken communication the words are only about 30% of the message. 

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Uche putting Vanecek to shame. Beasting it in the gym, doing strength & conditioning work. Not even back until Friday.

Top pro.??

That's good to hear.

I just hope he can stay on his feet more next season - goes down far too easily imo

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Pretty sure Naismith, Berra and Souttar are all Levein influenced signings. Nobody would want to admit that though.

Has anyone ever said he has never signed a good player? The issue is clear, it is the amount of complete flops and utter dross he signs.  I would take a guess at 10 complete duds for every decent signing

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Sorry I wasn’t glued to Kickback all night to carry on this discussion with you. Apologies for having other things to do :laugh:

YOU are the one who’s perceived his comments to mean he’s proclaiming himself to be the Czech Henrik Larsson, while anyone with an ounce of sense can see that he’s merely saying he wanted his time at Hearts to be successful and capped off with silverware. 

You’ve picked one sentence from that entire article to back your point up, while completely ignoring everything else he said in the article. That’s your fault, not anyone else’s. If you want to talk to someone about understanding, do a better job of it yourself first. 

If someone says they want to score the most goals in the Scottish Premiership, which includes players such as Morelos, Defoe and Edouard, does that make you think?:

(a) They are good at football

(b) They are bad at football

(c) Didn't understand the question

Using capital letters is actually worse than emojis ...