Nigel Adkins leaves Hull

Maroon Sailor

Mr Elwood P
32 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I didn't say if they were successful or not, just that they had managed in the Championship. So did Lee Clark who also managed Killie. 

Probably be better to get someone who has been a success if we're going to sack Levein, our entire backroom staff and half our playing squad.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Forever Hearts

• Mr Elwood P

• Bazzas right boot

Tommy Brown
20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not a lack of respect but he's not going to be the manager forever and if Hearts start the season like they ended last season he won't last long.

You have to try and freshen things up when things go stale, Adkins brand of football appeals to me more than Levein's big lump up front brand of football.

If you enjoy sterile football then Levein's your man. He won't change his style.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He's had that basket case owner at Hull to contend with

Levein has done nothing of note throughout his managerial career and plays eye-bleeding football

I agree mate.

The problem, we have, is that AB will not be getting rid of CL in the short term.

So, it is all moot point.

Even if CL decides to step aside, he probably won't give up his DoF role.

Any experienced manager that you, I or AB may fancy, will unlikely want CL above him.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Probably be better to get someone who has been a success if we're going to sack Levein, our entire backroom staff and half our playing squad.

Yes. And Adkins has been successful. 

colinmaroon
20 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

What if we start the season the way we did last year? 

The JKB Pravda apparatchik revisionists have written that out of history.

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Yes. And Adkins has been successful. 

Which is why we couldn’t afford his wages. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Which is why we couldn’t afford his wages. 

You know what wages he'd be looking for up here? 

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You know what wages he'd be looking for up here? 

I know that Hull could offer Milinkovic more, to sit on the bench or in the stands, than we could to be a first team starter. The assumption has to be that the ex Hull and Southampton is also out of our price range. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I know that Hull could offer Milinkovic more, to sit on the bench or in the stands, than we could to be a first team starter. The assumption has to be that the ex Hull and Southampton is also out of our price range. 

As already said, he will be a wealthy man who might be interested in a new challenge in a different country. Maybe money isn't his prime motivation. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

As already said, he will be a wealthy man who might be interested in a new challenge in a different country. Maybe money isn't his prime motivation. 

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes. We don’t have a vacancy and nothing indicates that Adkins wants to come to Scotland. An infinite list of players and managers have made enough money to set them up for life. Doesn’t mean they will be coming to Hearts, or even consider it. 

WheatfieldWarrior
7 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Milinkovic will have a new manager 

He won't be any better as a player though.  New managers generally don't go looking through the reserves when they come in.

16 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You think that we can attract English Championship managers? Total detachment from reality on here, especially at this time of year. 

:facepalm:

Enzo Chiefo
24 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Much the same as Naismith . You never know what his motivation or wage demands would be. Had we not asked the question of Naismith, he wouldn't have been here now, on a fraction of his previous salary.

Forever Hearts
27 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes. We don’t have a vacancy and nothing indicates that Adkins wants to come to Scotland. An infinite list of players and managers have made enough money to set them up for life. Doesn’t mean they will be coming to Hearts, or even consider it. 

Doesn't mean they won't either. See Steven Naismith for example. 

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Much the same as Naismith . You never know what his motivation or wage demands would be. Had we not asked the question of Naismith, he wouldn't have been here now, on a fraction of his previous salary.

You just beat me to it. ?

frankblack
6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Time will tell if Naismith returns but getting players on loan who are out of favour at their clubs is a damn sight easier than getting first team players who earn more than 10 times your wage cap, when the club will discount/cover some of his wages.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

He won't be any better as a player though.  New managers generally don't go looking through the reserves when they come in.

On the face of it  Adkins has gone because of lack of ambition. 

Milinkovic may well get a game 

frankblack
16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

On the face of it  Adkins has gone because of lack of ambition. 

Milinkovic may well get a game 

More likely he will get punted as surplus to requirements when the new manager comes in to bring in his own players.

The Real Maroonblood
23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not a lack of respect but he's not going to be the manager forever and if Hearts start the season like they ended last season he won't last long.

You have to try and freshen things up when things go stale, Adkins brand of football appeals to me more than Levein's big lump up front brand of football.

If you enjoy sterile football then Levein's your man. He won't change his style.

Good post.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

More likely he will get punted as surplus to requirements when the new manager comes in to bring in his own players.

Hull are potless. Might have to work with what they have. Not a happy club I believe. Crowds are sinking 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Doesn't mean they won't either. See Steven Naismith for example. 

Naismith has a desire to return to Scotland, as did Berra. Adkins has no connection to Hearts or Scotland. Entirely different situation.  

frankblack
37 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hull are potless. Might have to work with what they have. Not a happy club I believe. Crowds are sinking 

We shall see - being potless might mean they clear the decks to bring in the type of players the new manager wants.

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Naismith has a desire to return to Scotland, as did Berra. Adkins has no connection to Hearts or Scotland. Entirely different situation.  

Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers weren't exactly Scottish football connoisseurs. They were looking for a challenge and fancied it up here. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

We shall see - being potless might mean they clear the decks to bring in the type of players the new manager wants.

Could work that way too

Mr Elwood P
43 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers weren't exactly Scottish football connoisseurs. They were looking for a challenge and fancied it up here. 

Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers won't be coming to Hearts either. Rangers and more so Celtic, still pay very good wages and can attract some top talent from down south. We don't and thus we can't.

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers won't be coming to Hearts either. Rangers and more so Celtic, still pay very good wages and can attract some top talent from down south. We don't and thus we can't.

Fully aware they won't be coming to Hearts. My point is none of them moved to Glasgow for the money.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Fully aware they won't be coming to Hearts. My point is none of them moved to Glasgow for the money.

You believe that? 

Rogers got a massive deal and Gerrard came from the Liverpool youth set up, Likley a big jump in wages. 

Forever Hearts
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No, it's the same one. He was already a multi millionaire long before he managed Celtic and has a property portfolio the length of Princes Street. He could easily have got that salary down south. 

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

You believe that? 

Rogers got a massive deal and Gerrard came from the Liverpool youth set up, Likley a big jump in wages. 

They weren't selling the Big Issue when the Old Firm came calling. Both of them were loaded. 

Mr Elwood P

No, it's the same one. He was already a multi millionaire long before he managed Celtic and has a property portfolio the length of Princes Street. He could easily have got that salary down south. 

He got the biggest managerial salary is Scottish football history. He also had an, alleged, affinity with Celtic. Nothing about it has any connection or similarity to this hypothetical Adkins / Hearts connection. 

Forever Hearts

He got the biggest managerial salary is Scottish football history. He also had an, alleged, affinity with Celtic. Nothing about it has any connection or similarity to this hypothetical Adkins / Hearts connection. 

This huge salary wasn't enough to keep him at Celtic. Funny that. 

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

This huge salary wasn't enough to keep him at Celtic. Funny that. 

So is Adkins coming to Hearts because Rodgers left Celtic now? What's your actual point?

Forever Hearts

So is Adkins coming to Hearts because Rodgers left Celtic now? What's your actual point?

My point is money is not their motivation. Pretty obvious really as I said it in the first post and have stuck to it. 

My point is money is not their motivation. Pretty obvious really as I said it in the first post and have stuck to it. 

So you think he is getting less money at Leicester?

frankblack

English managers will only come up here if they need to regain some reputation because they aren't wanted by other clubs down south after a couple of bad positions.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

English managers will only come up here if they need to regain some reputation because they aren't wanted by other clubs down south after a couple of bad positions.

Stubbs crashed and burned at Rotherham and St Mirren - His reputation will be regained at the likes of Stirling Albion the way he is going

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

So you think he is getting less money at Leicester?

I have no idea what his salary at Leceister is. Whatever it is it won't be making a massive difference to his lifestyle. 

Mr Elwood P
20 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

So you think Rodgers getting £45k per week is comparable to Hearts offering Adkins £3k per week? Comparing anything Celtic do to Hearts is a futile exercise and will only  dilute any point you may have had.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So you think Rodgers getting £45k per week is comparable to Hearts offering Adkins £3k per week? Comparing anything Celtic do to Hearts is a futile exercise and will only  dilute any point you may have had.

You're the one banging on about money. These guys earn so much that it stops becoming their sole motivation. Try and understand that. 

Mr Elwood P
25 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You're the one banging on about money. These guys earn so much that it stops becoming their sole motivation. Try and understand that. 

I think the basic lack of understanding is yours. The reason to mention money, is that it is the lack of money that is the major stumbling block, preventing Hearts attracting a top manager or top players. Surely you understand that?

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think the basic lack of understanding is yours. The reason to mention money, is that it is the lack of money that is the major stumbling block, preventing Hearts attracting a top manager or top players. Surely you understand that?

Dear God above. I give up. 

Bull's-eye

This has taken an interesting twist. 

Yon wee Messi fella must be looking for a new challenge soon, maybe nip in and get Hazard, he is quoted recently saying he needs a new challenge. 

Now we've established that these guys have enough cash in bank, why has nobody thought about this before, we should be getting these multi millionaire players in instead of the usual huddies.

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

This has taken an interesting twist. 

Yon wee Messi fella must be looking for a new challenge soon, maybe nip in and get Hazard, he is quoted recently saying he needs a new challenge. 

Now we've established that these guys have enough cash in bank, why has nobody thought about this before, we should be getting these multi millionaire players in instead of the usual huddies.

Comparing an out of work Championship manager with Lionel Messi. If anybody was going to take it to silly levels I knew it would be you. 

• 2 months later...
On 08/06/2019 at 15:22, Maroon Sailor said:

Now he's the type of manager Hearts should be looking at

He's a tool... Craig over him everyday of the week

Guest ToqueJambo
On 08/06/2019 at 07:22, Maroon Sailor said:

Now he's the type of manager Hearts should be looking at

Why out of interest? Levein's win % in his last 3 jobs with us, Scotland and D Utd is a fair bit better than Adkins last 3 jobs

On 09/06/2019 at 07:20, Maroon Sailor said:

He's an out of work football manager. He might fancy a crack at Scottish Football. Money might not be everything to him

He is actually an out of work physio. No real background in football management until a few years ago. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He is actually an out of work physio. No real background in football management until a few years ago. 

Perfect 😂