***OFFICIAL SCOTLAND VS CYPRUS THREAD***

William H. Bonney

4 hours ago, Deevers said:

Progessing though would be getting a result and producing a display against them though.  If we are going to get though to the final stages of International competitions we have to beat teams like this. I'd rather measure how far we have progressed by looking at how we have played against a team like Belgium than taking heart from a last minute win against Cyprus at home.  Over the last few decades we have allowed ourselves to be satisfied by that kind of result when deep inside we have known that we need to be better.

A result in a game away against the number 1 ranked team in the world would show progress.

However, getting nothing wouldn’t show no progress.

Its a really poor example as it is not going to happen

Its like saying if we played Barca away and got a result it would show Levein was starting to get somewhere 

Edited by Jammy T

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Lovecraft

• gashauskis9

• Mr Elwood P

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Hard to believe that Jack Hamilton and Jordan McGhee were playing, look what's happened to them now.

McGhee was captain at one point ?

Rocky jamboa

I thought Scotland played some decent stuff last night, especially down the left with Robertson and Fraser. 

We've got the basis of a good side at the moment with the above two, McGinn, mctominay, Armstrong, McGregor (although he didn't have a great game last night and Forrest. 

Naismith would be a good addition when hes fit and regardless of your opinions on Griffiths, hes a big player for us also. Brophy is a great wee player also so deserves to be in the squad. 

Quite a young squad as well so hopefully keep them together for a bit and with Clarke in charge, we've got the right man to be positive about the future.

Edited by Paulp74

3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

A result in a game away against the number 1 ranked team in the world would show progress.

However, getting nothing wouldn’t show no progress.

Its a really poor example as it is not going to happen

Its like saying if we played Barca away and got a result it would show Levein was starting to get somewhere 

It wouldn’t only be the result that would matter but the standard of performance as well. We should always aspire to win games no matter who against. If you go out onto the park believing that you are not going to win then you won’t - simple as that.

Our National Team seems to have had that mindset for some time. I am hoping that Clarke can reverse that and he can send out teams  believing they can win no matter who they are playing.  

9 minutes ago, Deevers said:

It wouldn’t only be the result that would matter but the standard of performance as well. We should always aspire to win games no matter who against. If you go out onto the park believing that you are not going to win then you won’t - simple as that.

Our National Team seems to have had that mindset for some time. I am hoping that Clarke can reverse that and he can send out teams  believing they can win no matter who they are playing.  

It’s a Scottish mindset mate

16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s a Scottish mindset mate

I know - and it’s infuriating sometimes. 

Bridge of Djoum

That's the problem with picking too many Celtic players. Every single one of them would rather be playing for Ireland, they have zero interest in Scotland. 

They'd rather pick their national team based on religion than anything else.

Vermin.

Sub-human.

Bridge of Djoum
18 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

I had a dream we signed Burke. Although it has to be said, I was a complete and utter moron in that dream.

Sure it was a dream? :whistling:

5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

That's the problem with picking too many Celtic players. Every single one of them would rather be playing for Ireland, they have zero interest in Scotland. 

They'd rather pick their national team based on religion than anything else.

Vermin.

Sub-human.

Don't talk pish.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't talk pish.

I was maybe ...10 percent serious. Let's face it though, Not one of them gives more effort or performs better for Scotland than Celtic. 

You'd toil to think of a Celtic player in recent years who has looked the business for Scotland. 

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

16 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I was maybe ...10 percent serious. Let's face it though, Not one of them gives more effort or performs better for Scotland than Celtic. 

You'd toil to think of a Celtic player in recent years who has looked the business for Scotland. 

Maybe I hallucinated Forests 5 goals (Hattrick)last year.

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe I hallucinated Forests 5 goals (Hatrick)last year.

Against Israel and Albania. 

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Against Israel and Albania. 

Both better than Cyprus. What about The Thumb against England?

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, ri Alban said:

Both better than Cyprus. What about The Thumb against England?

Ah. We are up to 2 good performances in how many games? What about the countless others? 

Scotland should expect more from Celtic players. Winning 3x3 and playing regular European football. 

3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ah. We are up to 2 good performances in how many games? What about the countless others? 

Scotland should expect more from Celtic players. Winning 3x3 and playing regular European football. 

Dalglish, Collins, Macstay, McClair,  Nicholas, Boyd, Tosh, Aitken, Wee Mo, Wee Jimmy, Where's the Burds etc... All played for their country. I could name a few fae the other lot who didn't. 

Mcgeedy is the only wee Bassa who chose Ireland. McCarthy another. 

Anyway, McGregor and forest bust a gut last night but it just didn't happen.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Dalglish, Collins, Macstay, McClair,  Nicholas, Boyd, Tosh, Aitken, Wee Mo, Wee Jimmy, Where's the Burds etc... All played for their country. I could name a few fae the other lot who didn't. 

Mcgeedy is the only wee Bassa who chose Ireland. McCarthy another. 

Anyway, McGregor and forest bust a gut last night but it just didn't happen.

I did say in recent years... but never mind. Also a lot of those players you listed weren't at Celtic in their Scotland prime. 

Have been thinking about our current situation.

TBH, Scotland are in a difficult section, and we’d struggle to qualify even if it hadn’t been for the horror result against Kazakhstan. I think the group is more about Clarke figuring out what his best team is, and the real challenge will come in the play-off we got for finishing top of our section.

Nobody will be more delighted than me if I’m wrong, but realistically I think this is how it will go.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
16 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Easy pal. That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here.

Haha shut it. I was about 6 beers down though to be fair.

Holyrood_Hearts
17 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Haha shut it. I was about 6 beers down though to be fair.

Ahh that’s fair enough