Martin gone

JamboAl

letsalldothebeattie

Finally rid of him. I wish him well wherever he ends up next but was nowhere near good enough for us 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stephane Grappelli

• graygo

• Mr Elwood P

• Whatever

steven_mck

The robustness and more frenetic nature of the football here just didn't match with his more languid style and history of knee problems.

King prawn

I don’t blame Martin - I blame Cathro for giving him a 3 and a half year deal for a player that was never going to make it in Scottish football. 

41 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

last of the Cathro era ?

39 minutes ago, kila said:

Berra :whistling:

Michael Smith too

5 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Folk calling him a leech are out of order.  He was given a contract, he turned up for training, he wanted to play but wasn't deemed good enough.  He wasn't pretending to be injured or shirking his responsibilities.  He never done anything wrong apart from not be up to it, blame the people that thought it was a good idea to give him a 3 and a half year deal.

Hope he does well for himself, this is definitely the best outcome for all parties though.

100% agree. Should never have been given the deal that he was given but let's face it, if any of us were offered a couple of thousand (speculation) a week guaranteed without having to really do much, we'd take it. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Folk calling him a leech are out of order.  He was given a contract, he turned up for training, he wanted to play but wasn't deemed good enough.  He wasn't pretending to be injured or shirking his responsibilities.  He never done anything wrong apart from not be up to it, blame the people that thought it was a good idea to give him a 3 and a half year deal.

Hope he does well for himself, this is definitely the best outcome for all parties though.

Absolutely spot on mate. 

letsmakesomenoise
37 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Does he become the new WAGE THIEF!

If not who is it?

Please start a thread as I need start blaming Levein and Budge about whoever is selected.  

Step up Mr. David Vanacek!

Might have been a good enough player for the (continental?) style Cathro wanted to play but otherwise unsuited to the pace of Scottish football.

12 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

100% agree. Should never have been given the deal that he was given but let's face it, if any of us were offered a couple of thousand (speculation) a week guaranteed without having to really do much, we'd take it. 

I reckon he was on no more than half of that, still too much.

An absolutely horrendous signing. I remember my Middlesborough-supporting colleague bursting out laughing when I told him we’d signed him.

Treated pretty bizarrely, though and I wish him all the best. 

jamtartan74

Thanks for your contribution, that free kick against Hamilton will be fondly remembered, wonderful player who always gave your all in the maroon jersey, will be sadly missed...

All the best in the future you absolute legend ??

Howdy Doody Jambo

He must be our most expensive signing ever and luckiest to make so much money without kicking a ball 

Inch Hearts

What a massive waste of dosh that judgement call was.  Cheerio Martin, you have one hell of an agent. 

Inch Hearts
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Might have been a good enough player for the (continental?) style Cathro wanted to play but otherwise unsuited to the pace of Scottish football.

Yes, I believe he is off to play in the Portuguese Super Brock leagues. 

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

If not who is it?

Please start a thread as I need start blaming Levein and Budge about whoever is selected.  

Or not selected, or injured, or off-form, or suspended, or - indeed - anything at all.

Anyway, good luck to Martin: it wasn't his fault he was signed by an ersehole of a "manager" when totally unsuited to our league.

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

If not who is it?

Or not selected, or injured, or off-form, or suspended, or - indeed - anything at all.

Anyway, good luck to Martin: it wasn't his fault he was signed by an ersehole of a "manager" when totally unsuited to our league.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Great!

Now we can bring in some other dodgy, perma-injured waster.

Walker.

rick witter
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, my feelings. Seemed a decent sort, has ability and it didn't work out. Happens.

Seemed a model professional by all accounts but just had little ability to make a difference to us. 

Not his fault we handed him such a contract!! 

Glad thats another dud gone though. 

Edited by rick witter

rudi must stay
47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Martin had a shocking ego in my opinion. Never a team player and not a good influence behind the scenes I'd guess either. Look at Dunfermline, that league is slower than the Premier League, but he did nothing there.

We've had plenty of those characters over the years. Will be interesting to see what he does now, I predict nothing

Jambo 4 Ever
54 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Up there with Kurskis, Petric, Jenkinson and Sammon.

An absolute shocker of a signing.

could add in El-Hasnoui & Oshiwana,

And possibly Wighton and Vanecek too

Captain Canada

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Martin had a shocking ego in my opinion. Never a team player and not a good influence behind the scenes I'd guess either. Look at Dunfermline, that league is slower than the Premier League, but he did nothing there.

We've had plenty of those characters over the years. Will be interesting to see what he does now, I predict nothing

Levein is on record saying his attitude was always good. And Cochrane mentioned him recently as being a positive influence on him.

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Zaba said:

Praise the lord, this is a great summer already.

George Foulkes made this happen???

David McCaig
11 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

could add in El-Hasnoui & Oshiwana,

And possibly Wighton and Vanecek too

Surely none of these players come close to the value for money provided by our record signing Mirsad Beslija who delivered the most expensive cross in Hearts history!!!

35 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

He must be our most expensive signing ever and luckiest to make so much money without kicking a ball 

I’d imagine he is several country miles away from that. 

Still money down the drain again, though, when we are still on a tight budget. 

Edited by Paolo

1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

If not who is it?

Someone will cite Vanecek for this dubious honour.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Surely none of these players come close to the value for money provided by our record signing Mirsad Beslija who delivered the most expensive cross in Hearts history!!!

good point

48 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

I’d hazard a guess at Beslija.

Edited by Irufushi

A Shoreditch Heart
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

yeah, totally agree - sometimes things don't work out 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, HMFC86 said:

Yes Levein and Cochrane praised him, right as we were trying to flog him to anyone

Tasavallan

Au revoir et merci pour tout le poisson.

Oshiniwa 

sammon 

Hollis 

Hassanoui

Anderson 

Dauda 

Watt 

Nowak 

Sowah 

Struna 

Swanson 

Tzolis 

Glad we are careful with Foh monies . 

1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

Au revoir et merci pour tout le poisson.

Was it his fault we ended up with Sammon?

1 minute ago, Meadows said:

Oshiniwa 

sammon 

Hollis 

Hassanoui

Anderson 

Dauda 

Watt 

Nowak 

Sowah 

Struna 

Swanson 

Tzolis 

Glad we are careful with Foh monies . 

:facepalm: 

How much of the FOH money was spent on these players?

In fact on any players?

When you look at his career appearances before joining HMFC, the decision to offer him a 3.5 year deal was madness. 

Wish him no ill will, his (pretty sizeable) wage will hopefully allow us to add some quality to the squad.

Tasavallan
2 hours ago, King prawn said:

I don’t blame Martin - I blame Cathro for giving him a 3 and a half year deal for a player that was never going to make it in Scottish football. 

One of Cathro's many failings was he had no experience of the transfer market.  He should have stayed as a coach and not been promoted into the public eye.  Not Cathro's fault that he was.

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

When you look at his career appearances before joining HMFC, the decision to offer him a 3.5 year deal was madness. 

Wish him no ill will, his (pretty sizeable) wage will hopefully allow us to add some quality to the squad.

What is this pretty sizeable wage?

A couple of different people who sit around me in the Wheatfield were both convinced that if he played one more game for Hearts, he was due some kind of "Loyalty Bonus". 

I have no idea if that's true or not but might explain why he was persona non grata

According to transfer market.com hes made a total of 150 appearances from season 08/09. That includes sub and cup competitions too. I've no idea how accurate that site is but if true that's an average of under 14 total appearances per season for the last 11 years. I get some players miss a season or so due to bad injuries or being out of favour but on paper it looks like the guy has made a decent living out of sitting on his arse. You could argue it's not his fault if clubs offered him a decent wage over 2 or 3 years and I'd take that point but christ, wheres your pride as a so called professional sportsperson?? We constantly hear interviews about how footballers careers are short and they want to play as long as possible but if his stats are true he must be one of the few who dont seem to think like that! 

1 hour ago, Old Castle Rock said:

I doubt he’s even close to being that. 

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. The reason being he was utter shite.

Hasn’t stopped others who’ve played regularly during last few years.