American Hero Sandwich

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

I used to go to a Sandwich shop on the Royal Mile on a Saturday think it was called La Placido and get an American Hero Sandwich and glass bottle of coke.

Recently everyone at my work have started going to Hanks Sandwich shop and they do unusual sandwiches but unfortunately not an American Hero.

I just wondered if anyone can remember La Placido or know where else in Edinburgh that does American Hero Sandwiches.

Failing that if they have any recommendations for good sandwiches available from Hanks.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

42 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What is on it?

Basically a roast beef, mayo and tomato sandwich. 

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I used to go to a Sandwich shop on the Royal Mile on a Saturday think it was called La Placido and get an American Hero Sandwich and glass bottle of coke.

Recently everyone at my work have started going to Hanks Sandwich shop and they do unusual sandwiches but unfortunately not an American Hero.

I just wondered if anyone can remember La Placido or know where else in Edinburgh that does American Hero Sandwiches.

Failing that if they have any recommendations for good sandwiches available from Hanks.

I go to Hanks once or twice a week. Every sandwich I’ve had has been pretty ****ing fantastic. 

I’m not familiar with an American Hero Sandwich, but you should ask them to make some one day. Always seem to be up for introducing new ones. 

11 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Basically a roast beef, mayo and tomato sandwich. 

Huh, that's interesting that's the interpretation of it here. In the States a hero can have lots of different things on it, from roast beef, to ham, to turkey, to pastrami, or even meatballs and marinara. In the American reckoning, the hero bit is referring to the long Italian bread roll it's served on more than what's actually in it.

Diadora Van Basten
6 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I go to Hanks once or twice a week. Every sandwich I’ve had has been pretty ****ing fantastic. 

I’m not familiar with an American Hero Sandwich, but you should ask them to make some one day. Always seem to be up for introducing new ones. 

I don’t usually go in myself it’s a bit away so usually someone just takes an order.

4 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I don’t usually go in myself it’s a bit away so usually someone just takes an order.

If you’re on Instagram, they quite often post pictures of some of the stuff they have that day. 

Diadora Van Basten
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

If you’re on Instagram, they quite often post pictures of some of the stuff they have that day. 

I was having a look earlier we are getting a Hanks tomorrow and I fancy the lamb roti if it’s on. 

Surely nothing beats a Reuben.     Rye bread is especially peerless for sandwiches,    especially lightly toasted.

Swap out the sauerkraut for gherkin.   Or both.    Ooft.

Samuel Camazzola

I've been to Hanks a few times and always been a bit underwhelmed. Within the vicinity, much prefer Crusts (up by Tollcross primary). 

I used to go to that place on the royal mile, just beside the museum of childhood. Can’t remember what it was called but those heroes were ****ing amazing. 

I’ve been making my own version of their sandwich over the years, which is pretty close: focaccia, Mayo, rocket, prosciutto, salami, tomato, mozzarella, black olives, pepper. Fantastic. 

Edited by Zico

32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've been to Hanks a few times and always been a bit underwhelmed. Within the vicinity, much prefer Crusts (up by Tollcross primary). 

Their quesadillas are very good. Stopped doing breakfast rolls a while back. Now the premises is up for sale (or lease). 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Peebo said:

Their quesadillas are very good. Stopped doing breakfast rolls a while back. Now the premises is up for sale (or lease). 

Hanks or Crusts? 

Diadora Van Basten
20 minutes ago, Zico said:

I used to go to that place on the royal mile, just beside the museum of childhood. Can’t remember what it was called but those heroes were ****ing amazing. 

I’ve been making my own version of their sandwich over the years, which is pretty close: focaccia, Mayo, rocket, prosciutto, salami, tomato, mozzarella, black olives, pepper. Fantastic. 

Pretty sure that’s the place I used to go to. Think it had green facing in a semi circle above the door and some Italian flags.

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Crusts.

Interesting. I'll need to pop in next time I'm up that side of town. 

17 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Pretty sure that’s the place I used to go to. Think it had green facing in a semi circle above the door and some Italian flags.

Aye, that’s the one. Great food and always busy so was surprised when it disappeared. 

Sooperstar
43 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Crusts.

Surprised at that, was always busy at lunch times. Particularly on thai chicken soup day.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Surprised at that, was always busy at lunch times. Particularly on thai chicken soup day.

Still open and seems quite busy. May be moved on as a going concern, I suppose. 

AlimOzturk

Went to Hanks got the New Yorker. Decent enough but the salad portion the give is pathetic tbh. 

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Went to Hanks got the New Yorker. Decent enough but the salad portion the give is pathetic tbh. 

Personally, I think the value is brilliant for the sandwich plus two side salads (which are indeed not huge) - just over a fiver - given the quality of what you’re getting. 

Hanks is the business. I seem to do a good job of ultimately wearing some of the sandwich though :D

Sooperstar
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The sandwich and 2 sides are definitely filling for a lunchtime. Always came away feeling it was quite unhealthy though. I actually read the comments earlier theb googled it thinking I have to try this place. Realised where it was and that I've tried it plenty times. Certainly wouldn't rave about it and didnt realise it had quite such a good reputation.

Maple Leaf
On 06/06/2019 at 17:28, Justin Z said:

Huh, that's interesting that's the interpretation of it here. In the States a hero can have lots of different things on it, from roast beef, to ham, to turkey, to pastrami, or even meatballs and marinara. In the American reckoning, the hero bit is referring to the long Italian bread roll it's served on more than what's actually in it.

I tried one once and couldn't get through it. Far too much bread.

Diadora Van Basten
2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Jackie Onassis

Me

Marilyn Monroe

That's an American hero sandwich

I like the concept but your references are a bit random, are you in your 80s?

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Jackie Onassis

Me

Marilyn Monroe

That's an American hero sandwich

Corpse sandwich ?

Der Kaiser
1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I like the concept but your references are a bit random, are you in your 80s?

No. I'm just weird and a bit of a deviant....explains why kickback feels like home.

Hero is the name of the bread not the filling.

Its New Orleans cousin, the po'boy is where its at. Used to do them sometimes in my place

Diadora Van Basten
2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

No. I'm just weird and a bit of a deviant....explains why kickback feels like home.

Ha ha no probs

Watt-Zeefuik

Hero, hoagie, sub, grinder, all basically the same thing, just different regional names for it.

Usually some meat and cheese, then some combination of lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo, mustard, olives, oil and vinegar, spicy peppers, pickles and such.

On 06/06/2019 at 20:49, Diadora Van Basten said:

The Mexican Chicken in Greggs is really nice.  Do it as part of the meal deal you get that and a bottle of fizzy pop for £3.15.

16 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Anyone ever seen anywhere serve muffaletta in Edinburgh? King of all sandwiches imo

I never really liked them. Po’ Boys in the other hand...the baked ham version from Mother’s has to be up there with the best things I’ve ever eaten. 

11 hours ago, Peebo said:

I never really liked them. Po’ Boys in the other hand...the baked ham version from Mother’s has to be up there with the best things I’ve ever eaten. 

Are po'boys not just a baguette?

And the hero, it just sounds like just another name for a sub sandwich.

I'm missing the point of this thread I think. By the sounds of it, you can surely get a 'hero' at pretty much any sandwich shop?

There used to be a place on St Mary's Street just off the corner of the royal mile....dont know if still there.

Went most days when doing my teacher training. Good sandwiches.......and there was a lassie who worked there....Portuguese I think, who was utterly stunning. I don't think I was the only customer just there for a bite.

52 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Are po'boys not just a baguette?

And the hero, it just sounds like just another name for a sub sandwich.

I'm missing the point of this thread I think. By the sounds of it, you can surely get a 'hero' at pretty much any sandwich shop?

Yes, a po’ boy is essentially just the name for a baguette-based sandwich in Louisiana. 

Seems like a hero is just that, too (or maybe different type of bread, but still long roll). In the part of the US I lived, the term wasn’t used, but instead the similarly-pronounced “gyro” was something different (more like a kebab).

Thinking about it, I do vaguely recall somewhere in the west end of edinburgh that did “meatball hero” sandwiches. Just a meatball sandwich in a long roll, basically. 

Don’t think you are missing the point. 

Edited by Peebo

The bread is so key when it comes to American sandwiches though. Used to go to this absolutely amazing Philly Cheesesteak sandwich place in Phoenix . . . went back after a several year hiatus and they had changed the bread and the sandwich was honestly ruined.

So yeah, you can get a "hero" at Subway but you're not getting a true sandwich experience.