Do we need another keeper....?

Section Q

Byyy The Light

Bobby annoyed me big time, first giving the penalty away and then even worse not saving it.

All he had to do was extend his arms and it was legendary hero status for him. Frustrating as funk. 

Hectormasson
53 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

:spoton:

The two we have are simply not good enough.

It's all very well being a good lad and being good at stretching but I would rather have a number one that I can trust and not have a twitching sphincter in big games. 

Craig Gordon would fit the bill for me.

Exactly, we have a pretty much average or below average goalie and not got another who can challenge,seems a goalkeeper is a #1 priority,.!! Or it should be ,

Nessjambo67

I’d never heard of Doyle or Bobby if I’m being honest and I have little faith in either though the latter has been consistent since his return to the first 11 I’ve said it before you get very few hidden jems in the free market you want a keeper you need to pay the bucks 

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

This is where I am.  I like him but don't fully trust him.  

Would seem a good one to sign,but prob England for him,,

Zlamal was signed as a back up originally to Mac Gregor but became no 1 when that fell thru. Doyle signed later so we have 2 back up keepers. Would love Craig Gordon to come back as in a different class to these 2

I think its a given that we need a new keeper. Bobbys had too many off days and doesn't offer the consistency a keeper of his age should offer. 

Gordon seems like an emotional choice. He's a Hearts fan, our record sale and a player most fans would love to see return. To his credit he'd be an upgrade on Bobby and would offer much more consistent performances. However, he's older now and there were the rumours about the expensive divorce - How much would he want? Does his ability now outweigh the complete lack of resale value and with his injury record do we want to tie up a possible significant wage on that?

Someone like Bachman,Freddie Woodman or even Liam Kelly would be a sensible choice in the context of being able to sell them on eventually and make some money. All 3 would cost money though, and its maybe money we don't have. I realise that the article suggests a loan move which I suppose would give us another year to try and track down another gem in the McLaughlin mould. 

Another option that would cost is Zander Clark at St Johnstone. 2nd most clean sheets this season with 15 (joint first before you factor in he's played more games than Bain (tied with McGregor). He's into his last year of his contract so St Johnstone are under a wee bit of pressure to sell now if they want anything. He's only 26, so has youth on his side. Goalkeepers traditionally get better as they get older too, so he could well get better. Lastly, given Tommy Wright used to be keeper, you'd think that would be the one position in his team he'd be 100% confident with. 

Paul Shark
4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Better than what we have and he’s a legend for us

what do you think?

I would personally give Bachmann a go before I would re-sign Craig Gordon. 

Gordon is getting on and couldn't get into the Celtic team ahead of a very average Scott Bain.  The fact that people see Gordon as a Hearts legend really shouldn't come into it. Current ability is all that counts, if not I'm sure Henry Smith may well, still fancy his chances !

I really don’t get the Craig Gordon shouts. He is not the same player we brought through all those years ago, he’s made plenty howlers for Celtic over the past few years hence why Bain took his spot. Don’t get me wrong he was absolutely incredible in his day but if we’re serious about getting a new no1 in then 2019 Craig Gordon is not the answer at all.

rudi must stay

I feel Zlamal is good enough and always have (he made a number of cracking saves last season and does command the area). I would get rid of Doyle (Motherwell wasn't good enough at all and I fear those mistakes would be frequent, we could also save wages for elsewhere) and id promote Silva or Mason. The Second Choice keeper should be in the background waiting for their chance in my opinion and learning. That's how it should be

I see no long term thinking with Bachmann, yes he may be good. But he'd be here a year and then we'd be back to square one.

Spoiler

I have to totally disagree. Bobby is OK, hes not bad hes not great. 

If you watch him closely, and especially for people that have been goalies, hes bang average.

His kicking is just OK, but for me his biggest problem is, he doesnt know how to command the penalty box  He has got away with many indecisive moments, punching when he can catch, but he has made too many important mistakes  

Mclaughlin was calm, made good decisions  The only major blunder Mclaughlin made was at Partick. You need to have a calm reliable keeper and although Bobby is Ok, he is always going to be prone to make a blunder.

millerjames398
10 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Probably do, yeah. 

On a side note, did anyone else read the thread title in their heads like Tina Turner singing the first line of the chorus in Thunderdome?

Not until you mentioned it..now i cant stop singing it in my head?????

9 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Zlamal was signed as a back up originally to Mac Gregor but became no 1 when that fell thru. Doyle signed later so we have 2 back up keepers. Would love Craig Gordon to come back as in a different class to these 2

McGregor signed for Rangers two weeks before we signed Bobby.

Stephane Grappelli
13 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Probably do, yeah. 

On a side note, did anyone else read the thread title in their heads like Tina Turner singing the first line of the chorus in Thunderdome?

Yes!

Jambof3tornado
10 minutes ago, jambo1998 said:

Zlamal cost us the final and Doyles shite, so yes we need a new keeper. 

Harsh

But true I'm afraid.

Much better out there Craig just has to find them.

Bluesy1874
45 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Buffon is leaving PSG ?

As much as this is tongue in cheek, I have loved Buffon since his Parma days. I think he is the last player still playing from my childhood. 

The Treasurer

Bobby is a good keeper, his save in the semi final was top class and vital.

However he is prone to the odd Zibby moment so I would say if an upgrade was available then we should be looking.

I'm sure it's fairly high in the management's thoughts but won't be the number one priority

letsalldothebeattie

Absolutely 100% we need a new keeper. Nothing against Zlamal or Doyle both decent options but neither are out and out No.1s. If I was in charge I’d have went all out to bring in Liam Kelly from Livi before his release ahead of a move south I read somewhere his release clause was something like £35k which is insane if true. Now he’s away to looks like QPR I’ve no idea who we could get as No.1. Maybe Gordon who knows though 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Zlamal cost us the cup final and doesn't enspire the defence , Doyle isn't going to be 1st choice 

I'd take Jamie MacDonald, Craig Gordon, IronJambo Zander Clark 

A question for those who watch our reserves

Is Kelby Mason going to make it?  I understand he had a contract up to 31 May.

Vlad the impaler

Bachmann is a great shout if we could get him. The current two keepers aren’t good enough for where we want to be

Robbo-Jambo
14 hours ago, mscjambo said:

The clamour for Craig Gordon somewhat amazes me. He is getting towards the end of his career, has had a few injuries and he would command a decent wage. Phenomenal keeper in his day but for me we need to be looking forward not back, the wages to bring Craig in for me would be better invested in a younger longer term prospect.

The wages might not be a huge thing with Gordon. 

He has made a fortune through the years down south and even his last contract with us was for silly money. 

Sure I remember him saying a few years ago he would like to finish his career at Hearts. ?

15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Craig Gordon is no better with crossballs than Doyle or Zlamal. It's  always been his weakness despite being 6ft 3 tall. You have to ask why Bain and the Dutch guy ahead of Gordon at Celtic? Neither of them are great keepers.

I can’t remember that weakness in particular. Gordon has been basically injured since Bain got the gloves. That’s why De Vries has had to go in the bench.  He’s head and shoulders above those two and the two we have so it would be a definite yes from me. 

And hes 6ft 5

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I can’t remember that weakness in particular. Gordon has been basically injured since Bain got the gloves. That’s why De Vries has had to go in the bench.  He’s head and shoulders above those two and the two we have so it would be a definite yes from me. 

And hes 6ft 5

Trust me Craig Gordon is suspect on crossballs into his 18yd/6yd boxes

I think Bobby has some great saves in his locker.... along with some mistakes.

But I think he gained us more points then he lost us last season.  

But we do need another keeper, but I'm not sure if it's Gordon. 

11 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

I think Bobby has some great saves in his locker.... along with some mistakes.

But I think he gained us more points then he lost us last season.  

But we do need another keeper, but I'm not sure if it's Gordon. 

100% with you on this. 

I was impressed with how Bobby handled himself after the cup final - he accepted he made an error and he'll work on that part of his game. 

jambopilms

Craig Gordon is not the same player that left us. He would likely spend a fair amount of time injured too. Many hundredsof goal keepers out there.

Time to let Craig Gordon go, he was a bit of a legend when he was here dont come back a pale shadow of his former self.

oh ah grantona

We don't need another keeper we need a Number 1 

Bobby proved his worth in final not much to do Brain fart penalty Celtic and u know he never saves a pen (wasn't unlucky not strong enough) also for 2nd goal he don't make himself big on his arse as soon as shot hit. 

Doyle came in good bad bad blunder and looked very shaky when came in towards end of season. 

Both for me are very good backups but that's it neither are a strong number 1  

Robbo-Jambo
16 minutes ago, oh ah grantona said:

We don't need another keeper we need a Number 1 

Bobby proved his worth in final not much to do Brain fart penalty Celtic and u know he never saves a pen (wasn't unlucky not strong enough) also for 2nd goal he don't make himself big on his arse as soon as shot hit. 

Doyle came in good bad bad blunder and looked very shaky when came in towards end of season. 

Both for me are very good backups but that's it neither are a strong number 1  

This. 

We know both of our goalies can be rash and unreliable. 

A good solid goalie would give our pretty strong defence even more confidence. 

gorgieheart

YES

Bobby is a bombscare 

Doyle, aside from the "incident" at fir park, has been pretty solid.

But wouldnt be fussed if we emptied both and got a proper Number 1 in, with a dependable back up

No ideas on who

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

YES

Bobby is a bombscare 

Doyle, aside from the "incident" at fir park, has been pretty solid.

But wouldnt be fussed if we emptied both and got a proper Number 1 in, with a dependable back up

No ideas on who

a good idea would be Gordon

Smoked-Glass
20 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

would prefer Craig Gordon

No thanks.  Bombs scare now.   

Check out the Scotland v England game.  Also early part of 2017 /18 season when they hammered us 4_1.   The 1 we got was joke goal keeping.     

Zlamal would be fine as a back up but we need a better number one. Doyle is shite and should be binned. 

5 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

No thanks.  Bombs scare now.   

Check out the Scotland v England game.  Also early part of 2017 /18 season when they hammered us 4_1.   The 1 we got was joke goal keeping.     

If you go back far enough you can basically slate anyone. I can mind a game last year against Liverpool when Ederson had a nuke. 

Gordon might not be the goalkeeper he was when he left us. (Bit hard considering he was probably top 10 in Europe at the time) but anyone who thinks we can attract better is dreaming. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

Emotionally, i'd love Craig Gordon to come back (see my username) but i also don't know if he's as good as he once was. Made quite a few errors over the Rodgers seasons and then to be displaced by Scott Bain is not something to be proud of :)

We've had some excellent keepers over my time as a Hearts fan so if you take Niemi and Gordon as the top and Kurskis, Craig Nelson and Nicky Walker as the bottom then Doyle and Zlamal are much closer on the sliding scale to the last 3 than they are to the top 2.  

rudi must stay
7 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

Emotionally, i'd love Craig Gordon to come back (see my username) but i also don't know if he's as good as he once was. Made quite a few errors over the Rodgers seasons and then to be displaced by Scott Bain is not something to be proud of :)

We've had some excellent keepers over my time as a Hearts fan so if you take Niemi and Gordon as the top and Kurskis, Craig Nelson and Nicky Walker as the bottom then Doyle and Zlamal are much closer on the sliding scale to the last 3 than they are to the top 2.  

For me, having watched us since 98:

Niemi 

Gordon

Rousset

Kello

Zlamal

Thats what I'd say. I have heard Zlamal's kicking being slammed but keeping the ball out that's the most important thing. Even Gordon's kicking let him down

Bain is there to get Celtic playing quicker and the jury is out there (I don't see him being their number 1 in a year) I'd rather have Gordon in between the sticks. But ye as for us we have a good keeper in my opinion :thumbsup:

cosanostra

Doyle should be binned ASAP and another keeper brought in.

Craig Gordon would be a quality signing. Him and Zlamal can fight it out.

Pasquale for King
On 06/06/2019 at 19:03, Byyy The Light said:

Bobby annoyed me big time, first giving the penalty away and then even worse not saving it.

All he had to do was extend his arms and it was legendary hero status for him. Frustrating as funk. 

Indeed, probably why he’s only lasted a year abroad at most of his clubs.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

For me, having watched us since 98:

Niemi 

Gordon

Rousset

Kello

Zlamal

Thats what I'd say. I have heard Zlamal's kicking being slammed but keeping the ball out that's the most important thing. Even Gordon's kicking let him down

Bain is there to get Celtic playing quicker and the jury is out there (I don't see him being their number 1 in a year) I'd rather have Gordon in between the sticks. But ye as for us we have a good keeper in my opinion :thumbsup:

McLaughlin has to be ahead of Zlamal surely?

He was extremely unlucky not to save the penalty imo.  Celtic got all the breaks and that's it for me.  Other than the winning goal which was our one mistake and which they took superbly thanks to a £9m player.

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

He was extremely unlucky not to save the penalty imo.  Celtic got all the breaks and that's it for me.  Other than the winning goal which was our one mistake and which they took superbly thanks to a £9m player.

This for me.  Had they not got the very questionable penalty decision I think we might just have gone on to win that game.

Bobby would be fine as a back up.  Too many poor decisions from him for my liking. A new first choice keeper for next season would be a priority I would think.

I'm happy enough with Bobby. If a really good keeper became available in our price range then we'd be daft not to look at it but I wouldn't be going out of our way or spending money that could be used elsewhere as a priority.

Yes he has some rash moments but he's also made some excellent stops. Net positive in regards to points imo. I'd rather have a keeper like that than someone who never made a mistake but also never saved anything you thought he wouldn't get. 

Rocky jamboa

I like Bobby but we could do better. He's a decent keeper but we've been spoiled with the number of top class keepers we've had over probably the last 40 years and he is compared against them and not up to that level. 

I'm pretty sure Gordon would join us and would be a good signing. It would be the same as Berra taking a wage drop to finish his career with us. However, I'd like us to look for another loan signing from down south. Some EPL clubs will have top class keepers but cant get in ahead of £30m+ keepers so might be a few gems to pick up from there.