The Virtues (channel 4)

gashauskis9

13 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Shane Meadows nails it again.  Outstanding.

Agreed. He really is a genius......He's also a mate of mine.

Edited by Notts1874

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Shane Meadows nails it again.  Outstanding.

Great wee series. 

Some bloody good acting in it as well. 

Pretty bleak stuff. I think he maybe missed a trick to give the bleakness knife another twist if he'd finished on a shot of the Builder husband/brother in a ditch underneath 2 ton of pea gravel and overturned truck

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Pretty bleak stuff. I think he maybe missed a trick to give the bleakness knife another twist if he'd finished on a shot of the Builder husband/brother in a ditch underneath 2 ton of pea gravel and overturned truck

That'll be the first shot in Series 2. Then cut to the sister/daughter lassie being processed into the prison system. Then cut to Stephen Graham's character lying in a pool of his own (or someone else's?) vomit in a dingy shithole bedsit, with his mobile ringing away with a call from his son in Australia. Final cut to moth fluttering against rain-battered and dirty window, then pan to crucifix on wall. Cue theme music and roll opening credits... 

:booze:

Brilliant stuff :thumbsup:   Don't like everything he's done, but some of it - like The Virtues - is superb.

Auld Reekin'
On 05/06/2019 at 23:05, Notts1874 said:

Genuinely can't see why folk are getting this ?

What do you mean - you can't see why people are appreciating him, and his work in general, or why they're appreciating this particular series? I mean, I've watched some of his work (notably "This Is England") and not exactly "got it" - it doesn't exactly chime with my background and upbringing - but can always appreciate his talent and vision.

8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

What do you mean - you can't see why people are appreciating him, and his work in general, or why they're appreciating this particular series? I mean, I've watched some of his work (notably "This Is England") and not exactly "got it" - it doesn't exactly chime with my background and upbringing - but can always appreciate his talent and vision.

This series in particular. Up there with some of his best in my opinion.

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

This series in particular. Up there with some of his best in my opinion.

Agreed. So why do you say that you don't understand why people are "getting this"?

I'm not having any kind of dig at you here, I'm just genuinely interested in why you say you're surprised that folk (on here? in general?) like it as much as they do.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Agreed. So why do you say that you don't understand why people are "getting this"?

I'm not having any kind of dig at you here, I'm just genuinely interested in why you say you're surprised that folk (on here? in general?) like it as much as they do.

Ah....i see where the confusion is. O missed out a word in my op. That word being "not" ???.

Hopefully he will get his arse out of gear and make that film about Ronnie Simpson soon.Seems to be preoccupied with doing something about a local gypsy fighter though.

He did say that This is England might not be quite done yet.

Auld Reekin'
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Ah....i see where the confusion is. O missed out a word in my op. That word being "not" ???.

Hopefully he will get his arse out of gear and make that film about Ronnie Simpson soon.Seems to be preoccupied with doing something about a local gypsy fighter though.

He did say that This is England might not be quite done yet.

:thumbsup:  That explains it.

Oh, and be sure to let him know that my rent-a-cliche, gritty/northern/emotionally-charged/guilt-ridden/tortured/bleaker-than-thou screenwriting "skills" are available for a surprisingly (very surprisingly) modest fee... Or just some free beer. 

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

:thumbsup:  That explains it.

Oh, and be sure to let him know that my rent-a-cliche, gritty/northern/emotionally-charged/guilt-ridden/tortured/bleaker-than-thou screenwriting "skills" are available for a surprisingly (very surprisingly) modest fee... Or just some free beer. 

I can't even get a walk on part in a shop or pub so good luck??

Auld Reekin'
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I can't even get a walk on part in a shop or pub so good luck??

:muggy:

You seen much by Ben Wheatley? His work reminds me a bit of some of Stephen Meadows' stuff: a similar blend of very gritty realism, with some extremely dark humour and some seriously fecked-up bits too... If not, start with Down Street and Sightseers...

9 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

:muggy:

You seen much by Ben Wheatley? His work reminds me a bit of some of Stephen Meadows' stuff: a similar blend of very gritty realism, with some extremely dark humour and some seriously fecked-up bits too... If not, start with Down Street and Sightseers...

I haven't but will check out his stuff thanks.

I will check out this Stephen Meadows as well ?

Auld Reekin'
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I haven't but will check out his stuff thanks.

I will check out this Stephen Meadows as well ?

Whoops, I of course meant this chap...   

170133293-3303f348-9fd9-4ef0-b25a-358cd5