D Day

micole

I ask you all to spare a wee thought tomorrow for all the brave men and women who fought and died to free Europe and the world from Nazi tyranny....we will remember them.

been here before

An interesting fact about D-Day is that it was originally planned for June 5th as the tides, moin etc tallied up but the weather wasnt clear enough. It looked like the while thing would be postponned at least another month until similar conditions could be met. If this had been the case the invasion may never have taken place.

A senior meterologist briefed Eisenhower each day. On the 4th he predicted a break in the weather just long enough for the invasion to go ahead on the morning of the 6th. On his advice Eisenhower declared 'OK, lets go" and those words set in motion what we now know as D-Day.

The entire invasion depended on this one mans forecast being right.

The meteoroligist was James Stagg from Dalkieth.

Theres a little about it here...

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, micole said:

I ask you all to spare a wee thought tomorrow for all the brave men and women who fought and died to free Europe and the world from Nazi tyranny....we will remember them.

Always..

Never forget..

1 hour ago, been here before said:

An interesting fact about D-Day is that it was originally planned for June 5th as the tides, moin etc tallied up but the weather wasnt clear enough. It looked like the while thing would be postponned at least another month until similar conditions could be met. If this had been the case the invasion may never have taken place.

A senior meterologist briefed Eisenhower each day. On the 4th he predicted a break in the weather just long enough for the invasion to go ahead on the morning of the 6th. On his advice Eisenhower declared 'OK, lets go" and those words set in motion what we now know as D-Day.

The entire invasion depended on this one mans forecast being right.

The meteoroligist was James Stagg from Dalkieth.

Theres a little about it here...

I've read a bit about this on a Dalkeith Facebook page, good to see that he is being recognised.

SwindonJambo
10 hours ago, micole said:

Thought spared. I’m getting ready to head into Swindon for what will likely be a shitty day at work. Not even 0.000001 % as shitty as many of these brave men had. My eternal gratitude to them all. Never to be forgotten.

Adam Murray

Tremendous courage shown by brave young men.

First hand accounts over the years from some of those directly involved, along with many documentaries and various films depict both the horror and bravery of that historic day, but nothing quite captures it as much as that opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.

Lest We Forget.

maroonlegions
55 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Tremendous courage shown by brave young men.

First hand accounts over the years from some of those directly involved, along with many documentaries and various films depict both the horror and bravery of that historic day, but nothing quite captures it as much as that opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.

Lest We Forget.

Here is an actual picture of those men in the first boats to land. Most of them never made it, its a sad haunting image. Yes the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan  was about right.

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling, outdoor

90% of the soldiers on the first boats to hit the beach didn't live to see the end of the day. Look at those faces. Some of them never made it to 18. Never voted. Never loved a woman, or owned a home.   

They gave their lives fighting Hitler and the Nazis, so today's kids can call everyone they don't like Hitler and Nazis.

They paid the ultimate price for our freedom. We  live our life the way we  do because of them.

Eisenhower (and presumably Montgomery) knew they were sending many thousands to certain death.    Not that the decision to invade could have been avoided but the commanders showed a different kind of bravery.    Not risking your own life but to make yourself responsible for deaths of thousands and the sorrow of many thousands more.    That sort of weight of responsibility must have been torturous to live with.

The Gorgie

The guys first off the boats never stood a chance and they probably knew that. Words don't do justice for the bravery of these men and woman.

been here before
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Eisenhower (and presumably Montgomery) knew they were sending many thousands to certain death.    Not that the decision to invade could have been avoided but the commanders showed a different kind of bravery.    Not risking your own life but to make yourself responsible for deaths of thousands and the sorrow of many thousands more.    That sort of weight of responsibility must have been torturous to live with.

Eisenhowers driver was, I think, called Kate Summersby. She was interviewed for The World At War and told the tale that after Eisenhower had went round for one last visit to see the troops who were by this time all blacked up in preperation of their leaving he said to her in the car when leaving "You know Kate its very hard to look a man in the eyes knowing you may be sending him to his death".

And incase it had all gone wrong he had this prepared-

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

5 minutes ago, TheStig said:

The guys first off the boats never stood a chance and they probably knew that. Words don't do justice for the bravery of these men and woman.

I remember reading a goid while back that the first American to lead his troops ashore from the landing craft was a Sergeant whose orders were simple:

"Just get as far as you can...".

Edited by been here before

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

Incredibly brave,   yet largely powerless to decide for themselves.     Being commanded to advance to almost certain death,    but hoping for survival.     Unimaginable psychological turmoil.

The Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Incredibly brave,   yet largely powerless to decide for themselves.     Being commanded to advance to almost certain death,    but hoping for survival.     Unimaginable psychological turmoil.

When i went to see war of two halves last year the bit at the end where they sent the boys over the trenches to their deaths was very emotional to watch, doing it or seeing it in real life i can't even begin to imagine how people felt.

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

When i went to see war of two halves last year the bit at the end where they sent the boys over the trenches to their deaths was very emotional to watch, doing it or seeing it in real life i can't even begin to imagine how people felt.

Doubtless every man occupying a place on a spectrum from champing at the bit to get stuck in to wishing they could be anywhere else in the world.    None any less brave than the next man.    Impossible to comprehend.

maroonlegions
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Same happened in the first world war in the trenches when the decision was made that going over the top to gain a few yards was worth the 1000s that never stood a chance. First world war how did that come about, two aristocrates  arguing. 

Edited by maroonlegions

I hope the coverage on TV encourages some of those who are straying into racist ideologies and neo facist groups to have a good look at themselves.

I doubt it but it might.

These servicemen and women, a lot of them barely more than kids made the ultimate sacrifice or have lived their lives with terrible memories of seeing friends die. Can't imagine how it feels for them to see British people making Nazi salutes etc.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Each and every one of them deserves our greatest respect

BTW WTF is wrong with Ivana Trump wearing sunglasses?

Edited by Jamhammer

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

There’s a stylised piece at the end of the play Black Watch that absolutely destroyed me the first time I saw it. Then I saw the show other times and it was the same every time. Amazing feeling to see an audience of hundreds all with tears running down their faces. I think it was the solo piper accompaniment that pushed me over the edge. 

Watching the news last night there was a chap called Jock and aged 94 he did a tandem parachute jump with a serving parachute regiment officer. Just wanted to give him the biggest hug.

My grandpa was out in the Middle East during the 2nd world war and worked at prisoner of war camps back in the U.K afterwards. I can’t even begin to comprehend what they all went through and they have my utmost respect and adoration for what they did. 

Dagger Is Back

We are due the biggest debt ever, to all of those who gave up their lives in order that we may enjoy the lives we live today.

Can’t begin to imagine the emotions they went through, the horrors they witnessed

Heroes every last one

Remember speaking to an old gentleman years ago in the social club I went to about D Day. He was there.  

I asked how he felt as they disembarked. He said no matter how much training you’d had , animal instinct took over in those opening moments. It was just about surviving, taking cover, a controlled panic almost, if that makes sense?

In conversation we accidentally slipped into chat about close confrontation with the enemy and he pretty much shut down while talking about fighting one on one. He’d obviously experienced it and carried it through. 

It must’ve haunted these brave, ordinary men some of the things they had to do after being thrust into that environment. We owe so much.  

I have watched a lot of the coverage here of the D Day ceremony and memories. I actually have found it quite emotional watc hing these old guys tell their tales. I suspect because of the occasion they are being more effusive in their tellings, but the salute they are getting is well deserved.

I served with men who had gone through the war with the Regiment, some of the sergeants I done guards with as a corporal had quite a few medals. What I realise now that never once did any of them talk or relate to me any of their stories. I remember as a boy seeing people in civilian clothing with a small I think it was a blac k piece of cloth in a triangle  on their armwhich was the sign that they had lost someone in the conflicts that were happening. Its hard to believe now I am looking at these thousands of grave markers in France and just mebbe one of these wee black triangles is in one of those graves.

The other thought that passes is that these same old men in their nineties were not always feted and treated as heroes when they came home. Many turned to drink, many had difficulty getting work, and many probably had difficulty ridding their minds of memories. My own cousin who attained a wish to join the navy and did so just before the war served on Malta convoys, and the Russian convoys. He was an illegitimate child of WW1, when the P.O's wanted to debase and abuse the sailors they called them lazy *******s. He always he told me felt bad because the lowest insult they could throw, was what he actually was. He became an alcoholic, a thief, and a jail bird, and at no time got any credit for what he had gone through. I am proud to say that both my mother and I stuck with him and done what we could for him.

I am very happy that the old survivors have finally got the laudatory speeches that they deserve.

Edited by bobsharp

A couple of us went over to Normandy a couple of weeks ago, we went to the American beaches & cemeteries ourselves one day, and hired a guide to take us round the UK & Canadian beaches the next. Really makes you wonder what would have happened if Operation Overlord hadn't worked. I highly recommend the trip for anyone remotely interested in WW2. We flew Edinburgh to Paris (£100 return), hired a car to get us to Normandy (3 hours £100 ) and stayed in Bayeux at an air band b (£50 a night). The guide was £90 each per day but luckily we were the only folk wanting to do the UK & Canadian beaches that day so it was brilliant having his knowledge to ourselves for the day. Pegasus Bridge is an amazing story on its own and the museum next to it is brilliant. Lord Lovat's story is also amazing.

At the end of the second day I felt  emotionally knackered as some of the horrendous stories just bring it all home.

60182361_10156623388032917_3534999745237876736_o[1].jpg

60337319_10156623542962917_8717461108845182976_o[1].jpg

60856692_10156623543317917_6418730780222029824_o[1].jpg

60452944_10156623543612917_2699548075529076736_o[1].jpg

60360056_10156623543687917_4684724376837292032_n[1].jpg

60399983_10156623543772917_2841796572033843200_o[1].jpg

60322574_10156623543357917_6828324768811319296_o[1].jpg

60295838_10156623543532917_8919672812000509952_o[1].jpg