1st gig, last gig, next gig.

Brick Tamland

Just now, Jamhammer said:

Have you seen them lately? 

I was a massive fan in the 80's but caught them in Glasgow a year or two ago and they were ******** dreadful, Mac was either steaming or stoned. He was crying, laughing, offering the audience out for fights, doing terrible Scottish accents and his voice was well off. They actually got booed.

I'd never go to see em again, I'd rather remember them in their majestic pomp. One of the finest live bands I ever saw.

To be honest I think I'm mistaken about the last gig as I seen Echo recently and yes, they were awful. Nothing like the shenanigans I'd heard about in Glasgow though. They just chose to put a different slant on their back catalogue. Don't mind that to a certain extent but it just didn't work and the vast majority of the audience went home totally bemused. Think it was May/June last year in the Usher Hall. Had seen them a couple of times recently including a free gig in Sefton Park, Liverpool and both were excellent. They are back in the Queen's Hall in December so hopefully back to basics.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

• Brick Tamland

• gashauskis9

• Bridge of Djoum

1 minute ago, JWL said:

To be honest I think I'm mistaken about the last gig as I seen Echo recently and yes, they were awful. Nothing like the shenanigans I'd heard about in Glasgow though. They just chose to put a different slant on their back catalogue. Don't mind that to a certain extent but it just didn't work and the vast majority of the audience went home totally bemused. Think it was May/June last year in the Usher Hall. Had seen them a couple of times recently including a free gig in Sefton Park, Liverpool and both were excellent. They are back in the Queen's Hall in December so hopefully back to basics.

I considered the Queens Hall but, for reasons above decided against. Sometimes it's best to just leave the band as you remember them. Sometimes not though. I saw The Skids last week and they were awesome

The White Cockade

Blondie at the Odeon 1979?

The Feeling last Saturday at the TT

Caro Emerald tomorrow night - the wife’s choice!!

luckyBatistuta

Hazel O’Connor...Odeon, Clerk Street 1980 with Duran Duran as the support act.

Prince...O2 Arena 2007...don’t see how it can get any better than this, miss him?

1st that I went to by choice was Marillion at Glasgow Apollo in 1984, Fugazi tour when Marillion were decent and not the poor imitation they are today.

Last gig was Steven Wilson at the Queen's Hall in 2015, Hand Cannot Erase Tour.

Next gig, no idea.  I missed Steven Wilson and Roger Waters most recent Scottish gigs due to being on holiday.

1st was Whitesnake at the Edinburgh Playhouse.

Last was UFO at O2 Kentish Town.

Might leave it at that to be honest.

Going by this thread, the playhouse used to do decent gigs. As well as motorhead I also seen Metallica and anthrax there. Just a pity the place is now to push for gigs as it was a decent venue.

First - Placebo at the Corn Exchange in August 2003.

Last - Slam Dunk Festival in Leeds a few weeks ago. (Last individual act was Brian Fallon at the Usher Hall in February). 

Next - Basement at The Mash House in August, though I'll likely end up at something else before that. 

17 hours ago, superjack said:

Going by this thread, the playhouse used to do decent gigs. As well as motorhead I also seen Metallica and anthrax there. Just a pity the place is now to push for gigs as it was a decent venue.

Saw Maiden on 3 tours there plus Whitesnake, Dio, Queensryche, Robert Plant, Alice Cooper and others.

1st gig Taste/Stone the Crows 1969 Caley Picture House - Rory Gallagher at his peak

last gig Manic Street Preachers usher hall 26 May 

Next gig Hamish Stuart (ex AWB) at the jazz Festival

CF11JamTart
On 09/06/2019 at 20:47, Jamhammer said:

I considered the Queens Hall but, for reasons above decided against. Sometimes it's best to just leave the band as you remember them. Sometimes not though. I saw The Skids last week and they were awesome

I've seen Echo and the Bunnymen about ten or so times in recent years. 

It feels like we're on diminishing returns with McCulloch. Wonderful catalogue of songs and Will Sergeant is superb, but McCulloch feels like an accident waiting to happen. Barely coherent between songs, rambling and shambling. And the voice really ain't what it used to be.

Not sure I'll bother next time.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

If I don't go to see bodega at summerhall, in August, next gig will be the Pixies at the Usher Hall. 

First gig was, I think, garbage at the corn excange

Last gig was the Bonnevilles at Leith depot

Next gig is Combat Rock-Clash tribute band in Bathgate. 

Last 3 gigs are excectic,

Jesus and Mary chain at the Glasgow ABC, excellent live. 

Nick Cave and the bad seeds at the Hydro, incredible. 

The Bonnevilles, brilliant band, great live act, deserve a bigger audience 

Perth to Paisley

1st Genesis .... Lamb lies down tour

Last ... Hall and Oates .. Hydro

Next .... Garbage in Dunfermline!!

Favourite .... Smiths at Usher Hall

the original dalry llama

First - AC/DC at the Odeon 31/10/1978

Last - Hop Along at the CCA last night

Next - DJ Flugvél og Geimskip at the Happiness Hotel tonight

Rodger Mellie

First - Oasis, Murrayfield, 2000

Last - Billy Joel, MSG, NY

Next - Cher, MGM, Las Vegas 

Edited by Rodger Mellie

On 06/06/2019 at 04:35, Bauld said:

First - The Offspring, SECC, 2005

Last - Iron Maiden, AECC, 2018

Next - Rob Zombie, next Thursday Glasgow Academy.

Just recovering from Zombie.

Absolutely brilliant show. If anyone is at Download festival this weekend I would definitely recommend you catch his set.

Brick Tamland
On 12/06/2019 at 23:12, Perth to Paisley said:

1st Genesis .... Lamb lies down tour

Last ... Hall and Oates .. Hydro

Next .... Garbage in Dunfermline!!

Favourite .... Smiths at Usher Hall

Oh a new addition - favourite!

Post Malone at SEC in Aden was brilliant but The Stranglers at Playhouse in mid 80’s has to be my fave. Have seen them 6 or 7 times and they are brilliant. 

PsychocAndy

1st. Tom Robinson Band, with Stiff Little Fingers 1978 Odeon Clerk St.

Last. The Exploited 2018 La Belle

Next Peter Hook and The Light 2019 Queens Hall

We are off to Turkey the next morning so will be taking it easy at that gig.

Samuel Camazzola
On 10/06/2019 at 01:32, luckyBatistuta said:

Hazel O’Connor...Odeon, Clerk Street 1980 with Duran Duran as the support act.

Prince...O2 Arena 2007...don’t see how it can get any better than this, miss him?

I went to one of these gigs and it was immense. Possibly the greatest all round musical talent ever. 

The ticket price was only £31.20 (to coincide with the latest album title release which was also given away for free at the gig). 

I went to one of the gigs in August 07 at the beginning of the 'residency' where he started with Purple Rain. I gathered that almost every night had a different running order/set list as my mate went a couple of weeks later and he finished with that. 

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I went to one of these gigs and it was immense. Possibly the greatest all round musical talent ever. 

The ticket price was only £31.20 (to coincide with the latest album title release which was also given away for free at the gig). 

I went to one of the gigs in August 07 at the beginning of the 'residency' where he started with Purple Rain. I gathered that almost every night had a different running order/set list as my mate went a couple of weeks later and he finished with that. 

Now after all these years I’m not happy. We never got any freebies??‍♂️

Still amazing though, just wish I could see him perform again, was born to entertain.

1st The Jam at Glasgow Apollo in 1980

Last gig Half Man Half Biscuit Friday night at the Liquid Rooms

Next gig Primal Scream Princes Street Gardens in August.

Bridge of Djoum

The Specials were magnificent on Friday. Place was bouncing, great crowd. For one song, I forget which, they had a stunning female sing lead .Best part about her, apart from the voice, was the knee length, Fred Perry dress she wore. Black with the yellow trim. 

Mrs BoD was almost using her maiden name again. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

The Specials were magnificent on Friday. Place was bouncing, great crowd. For one song, I forget which, they had a stunning female sing lead .Best part about her, apart from the voice, was the knee length, Fred Perry dress she wore. Black with the yellow trim. 

Mrs BoD was almost using her maiden name again. 

Was it Saffiyah Khan? She guests on one of the new song.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLcbnxXgSFQ240EacxxQ2

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Was it Saffiyah Khan? She guests on one of the new song.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLcbnxXgSFQ240EacxxQ2

Yes sir, that is her. 

In the drunken aftermath I forgot there was a father of a Parkland victim there, Manuel Oliver. His son, Joaquin, died. He gave a very emotional speech during the gig. 

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yes sir, that is her. 

In the drunken aftermath I forgot there was a father of a Parkland victim there, Manuel Oliver. His son, Joaquin, died. He gave a very emotional speech during the gig. 

:thumbsup:

Franz Ferdinand at the Ross Band Stand, 2005.

Anteros at the Scala, Kings Cross, London.

Bloc Party in Bristol.

1st - Ocean Colour Scene in Glasgow around the mid 90's

Last - The National at the Usher Hall (a year or so ago)

Next - Foals - Tomorrow in Glasgow

the general
On 15/06/2019 at 20:35, Samuel Camazzola said:

good article here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/prince-at-the-02-the-21-nights-that-dazzled-london/

I got the album free in the Sunday Telegraph and there was a link to newly released seats

ended up 5 rows from the front

setlist for the show i saw

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2007/the-o2-arena-london-england-53d787f9.html

Edited by the general

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, the general said:

good article here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/prince-at-the-02-the-21-nights-that-dazzled-london/

I got the album free in the Sunday Telegraph and there was a link to newly released seats

ended up 5 rows from the front

setlist for the show i saw

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2007/the-o2-arena-london-england-53d787f9.html

Cheers for that. Great article and coverage. 

Here's the set list from the show I attended on 11th August and details how it differs. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2007/the-o2-arena-london-england-6bd5d616.html

1st:-  Prince, Meadowbank 1993.

last:-   Simple Minds, Hydro, 2015.

next:-   At the moment probably Simple Minds again. Wee birdy told me they are touring again next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Was anyone else at Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Hydro on  Wednesday? Great show from then and was equally impressed by the support set from Status Quo!

ArmiyaRomanova

First - Gong at the Caley Cinema in 1974

Last - Severed Heads at the Flying Duck a couple of weeks ago.

Next - Negativland at Cafe Oto and Broadcast in October.

The Continental Op

First - Gallagher & Lyle , Usher Hall 1975 (before the big hits)

Last - St Etienne, British Library Foyer (!) October last year

Next - Cowboy Junkies 18 July (I'm away on the date of their Edinburgh gig , so have to go to Holmfirth?)