Cricket World Cup

ri Alban

How can you NOT love cricket? Watching this as a neutral, shouting at the telly like a maddo! Tension, skill and a huge prize at stake.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobboM

• Mikey1874

• Boris

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, RobboM said:

How can you NOT love cricket? Watching this as a neutral, shouting at the telly like a maddo! Tension, skill and a huge prize at stake.

💯

221 absolutely not the figure I was expecting from India this morning . . . incredible.

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

India let England win. Rest assured, they won't be doing the same in the final. A piece of cake.

Wise words indeed

:smugger:

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

:whistling:

That's arrogance for you. India? Idiots more like.

19 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

IMO the draw has come out really badly for everyone except England who should have enough to beat Australia.The pitch today favoured India mixed attack esp the spinners. Unless India are unlucky with the weather tomorrow  I htink they will win but get thrashed by England in the final where the pitch will very much favour England's strength, the in depth hard hitting batting.

If India had beaten Southafrica would have been a different story, with England India hard to call at Edgebaston - probably India favourites and then an England/ India Australia (most likely) final also pretty even at Lords

A bit off. 

But that is World Cup cricket. 

scott herbertson
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

A bit off. 

But that is World Cup cricket. 

Aye - that opening spell by NZ was tremendous - I still think India made a terrible mistake in taking the South African match too lightly. Playing England at Old Trafford tomorrow would have suited them more than this pitch I think. 

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

How can you NOT love cricket? Watching this as a neutral, shouting at the telly like a maddo! Tension, skill and a huge prize 

Great game. Listened to India Iinnings on radio. Massive result for New Zealand. Great effort overall and very clever use of bowlers at end. 

A billion people went silent. 

David Warner hits first ball for 4.

Next over Jofra Archer takes wicket of Aussie captain Finch first ball. Steve Smith out to bat to chorus of boos.

Now Warner out. Handscomb survives LBW first ball umpires call. 10-2. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Handscomb and Smith looking nervous as kittens till Woakes cleans up Handscomb with a beauty. Thing is, under pressure, 14 is a challenging total to chase 🙂

scott herbertson
Just now, RobboM said:

Don't ever, ever, ever, EVER say that!!!!!

i'm hoping to jinx them - shouldn't I?

Just now, RobboM said:

Don't ever, ever, ever, EVER say that!!!!!

Indeed!  If anyone can outdo India's ineptitude yesterday, look no further than the three lions!

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

i'm hoping to jinx them - shouldn't I?

50+ years watching England cricket .... don't need no jinxing 😋

Was getting pretty even but 2 quick wickets by Rashid in an over. 118-5. 

Another big momentum shift.

Edited by Mikey1874

I P Knightley

What does 'umpire's call' mean?

I thought when they went for a review, it was ll down to the technology.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

What does 'umpire's call' mean?

I thought when they went for a review, it was ll down to the technology.

It's saying that whatever the umpire has decided then, unless the technology says he's made a complete ***** of it, then his decision stands. So if he says "Not Out" and it's only clipping the stumps then it stays Not Out. Equally if said "Out" and it's only clipping the stumps then it stays "Out". It's worked out well imo in retaining the idea that the umpire's decision is final (kind of)

Job done in the field.

Looks a better pitch than the one yesterday so it's only down to England's nerve in chasing.

England to win by 1 wicket 😁

Nathan Lyon first over hit for 13

Mitchell Starc came back hit for 15

Steve Smith first over hit for 21 (3 sixes) 

124-0 (17 overs) 

Edited by Mikey1874

Astonishing. Really expected to be watching this England reply through my fingers but I can actually relax and enjoy it. Bit like the Cup semi versus Inverness!

FFS Spoke too soon!

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Astonishing. Really expected to be watching this England reply through my fingers but I can actually relax and enjoy it. Bit like the Cup semi versus Inverness!

FFS Spoke too soon!

Joe Root to settle things hopefully. 

Last chance for Australia now. 

Edit - 3 fours by Root. 88 needed, less than 3 an over. England scoring at 10 an over last ten overs. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Another wicket. Jason Roy out despite not hitting it. 

Unlucky. 

147-2 (77 to win) 

Edited by Mikey1874

Possible trouble for Roy there with that show of dissent? If the umpire was using his head he'd have said Not Out and Aussies would have used their review if they really thought he'd hit it. Whaddya think?

Edited by RobboM

11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Possible trouble for Roy there with that show of dissent? If the umpire was using his head he'd have said Not Out and Aussies would have used their review if they really thought he'd hit it. Whaddya think?

Clear and obvious errors maybe need to be corrected out with the review system. 

Not hitting it is a big error. 

Edited by Mikey1874

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Makes sense to me. The umpire said it was not out and changed his mind. Surely if he wanted to do that, he could have a quick word with the guy with the telly. Shame, as Roy looked pissed off when Bairstow used up the review when it looked pretty obvious (at least to this clueless observer).

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Makes sense to me. The umpire said it was not out and changed his mind. Surely if he wanted to do that, he could have a quick word with the guy with the telly. Shame, as Roy looked pissed off when Bairstow used up the review when it looked pretty obvious (at least to this clueless observer).

Umpire's can call for DRS themselves and give a "soft" signal that they think it is out.

The Bairstow review was almost certainly on the back of Roy telling him to take it, they almost always check with their batting partner who should give them a second opintion ... it's a valuable card to have up your sleeve. Roy would have said something like "Did you get  an edge? No? Well **** off you're stone cold out ya chancer 🙂 "

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Clear and obvious errors maybe need to be corrected out with the review system. 

Wonder if the umpire could have asked for a review with a soft "out" signal?

I like the controversy tbh. Quite often at the football my mate will say to me, "What this game is crying out for is a really bad refereeing decision" 😋

14 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Wonder if the umpire could have asked for a review with a soft "out" signal?

Got the answer to that one, and it's "No!"

England gub the Aussies so it's definitely a new name on the trophy on Sunday.

Brilliant cricket all day from England never gave Australia a chance and actually lived up to their pre-tournament "favourites" tag.

Not that I wasn't going to support the Blackcaps anyway, but especially now that someone had a "Keep Calm It's Coming Home" sign in the crowd . . . **** England :lol:

Got a ticket for today through work. Really enjoyed it. The atmosphere in the first few overs was superb.

So impressive watching Archer fling it down at 90mph from what is barely a jog up to the wicket.

As posted before, dream final for me.  Just couldn't be happier.  NZ and England both superb in the semi finals.  Absolutely loved it but massively sleep deprived.

I think England will be far too strong in the final but you just don't know.

Weather forecast good and can't wait for Sunday night.

Comprehensive thrashing of Dundee Utd as a warm up.