Cricket World Cup

ri Alban

Surprised there's not a thread for this. I'm not too clued up on the cricket lately. So, Who's  the favourites to win it? I see Pakistan have put down a marker.

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobboM

• Mikey1874

• Boris

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

England are World number 1 at the moment so are probably favourites.

They should have beaten Pakistan yesterday.  Poor fielding scuppered them.

New Zealand and West Indies will be there or thereabouts, same with India.  Pakistan are a funny bunch, on their day as good as anyone, but their days are few and far between.

South Africa look ropey.

Australia, with the cheats back, will be tough too.

So, despite England's favourites tag, it is quite open, imo.

I'm a big England cricket fan and on form they are worth their favourties tag. BUT. They have a vulnerability that the great West Indies side, or the Australians with Warne, Gilchrist etc never seemed to show. South Africa put them off their stride simply by opening with a spinner. Against Pakistan I don't think England had the absolute confidence in their own game to win and tried to emulate the way that the West Indies had blown Pakistan away in their opening game.

I've been enjoying the tournament so far though and England definitely have a defeat in them ... just hope yesterday was it!

Rick James

Afghanistan hanging in here for a big win over Sri Lanka. Rain reduced target for them of 187, currently 114/5. 

Sri Lanka have been poor this tournament.

The difficulty with making England or anyone favourites it that this is highly intense tournament sport. That is unpredictable. 50 over cricket is now highly entertaining. You can beat anyone with a brilliant innings or bowling. 

Also being in England every game is a home game for most of the teams. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Weather starting to affect this now. Probably be another abandoned game today and maybe tomorrow.

They also need to do something about the bails not falling even when the stumps are clattered.

6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Weather starting to affect this now. Probably be another abandoned game today and maybe tomorrow.

They also need to do something about the bails not falling even when the stumps are clattered.

There's talk of 2 games a day, to catch up. They'll run out of teabags.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No danger of you ever using too many teabags.

:wink: 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nah. An abandoned game is just abandoned. Point each or something.

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Nah. An abandoned game is just abandoned. Point each or something.

Darren Gough was talking 2 games a day.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

No danger of you ever using too many teabags.

:wink: 

You cannae whack a good cuppa.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

There are no reserve days at the Group Stage, there are for the Semis and Final. There have already been games decided as No Result. You can't just change the competition half way through.

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

There are no reserve days at the Group Stage, there are for the Semis and Final. There have already been games decided as No Result. You can't just change the competition half way through.

?

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Darren Gough gets paid for talking mince?

Governor Tarkin
On 11/06/2019 at 19:07, Notts1874 said:

Living the dream.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Living the dream.

Jkbs grammar Police would blow a gasket, listening to the bold Darren. :D

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 11/06/2019 at 19:07, Notts1874 said:

And advertising shite hair replacement treatment with that freak Shane Warne. 

Anyway another game abandoned today. Not much they can do about it as it's been raining for three days straight down here.

ToadKiller Dog

Not been great so far, likely the bad weather doesn't fit with the set up of the competition. 

Plus 3 big one day sides not on form at all windes, south Africa and Sri Lanka. 

Loving the Sri Lanka anthem its like somthing from the Smurfs. 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Bangladesh playing very well have got the second highest run chase ever in World Cups to beat a lacklustre West Indies.

West Indies just beat Scotland in a very tight game in the qualifying tournament to qualify. Could have been Scotland playing. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Bangladesh playing very well have got the second highest run chase ever in World Cups to beat a lacklustre West Indies.

West Indies just beat Scotland in a very tight game in the qualifying tournament to qualify. Could have been Scotland playing. 

Scotland have now been banned from achieving elite level cricket. Closed shop, now.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scotland have now been banned from achieving elite level cricket. Closed shop, now.

I do understand.

But on the other hand the qualifying tournament was brilliant. High standard, ebbed and flowed. Scotland played very well and missed out on the smallest margins, actually a wrong decision costing them on the calculation in rain affected game  losing by 2 runs to West Indies. In another game drew a game they could have won. 

Difficult balance. 12 or 14 teams is 3 or 4 groups playing just a few games. If Scotland qualify for 10 team one they play 9 games. 

Edited by Mikey1874

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I do understand.

But on the other hand the qualifying tournament was brilliant. High standard, ebbed and flowed. Scotland played very well and missed out on the smallest margins, actually a wrong decision costing them on the calculation in rain affected game  losing by 2 runs to West Indies. In another game drew a game they could have won. 

Difficult balance. 12 or 14 teams is 3 or 4 groups playing just a few games. If Scotland qualify for 10 team one they play 9 games. 

It's a shame.

What about the TV audience for India v Pakistan. Over 1 billion. That's incredible.

Phenomenal batting from Morgan, looks like he has recovered from his bad back last Friday.

One stat I saw was that England scored more 6s during that innings than they managed to score during any previous entire World Cup campaign ?

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

Phenomenal batting from Morgan, looks like he has recovered from his bad back last Friday.

One stat I saw was that England scored more 6s during that innings than they managed to score during any previous entire World Cup campaign ?

Morgan has hit a 6 every 8 balls this World Cup 

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Morgan has hit a 6 every 8 balls this World Cup 

Whilst posting on JKB. What a guy!

Seems a very popular sport but ive yet to met anyone that likes it. I know its not exactly big up here in scotland but my mrs is English and so is my sisters husband and neither of their familys care about it.

For a World Number 1 ranked team England always seem to have a defeat in them. Couldn't see that at the half way stage but England's long batting line up fails to fire and means they have to win 1, and possibly 2, of their final matches against New Zealand, India and Australia.

England losing to Sri Lanka has transformed the tournament. 

Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka all winning games to keep their chances going. 

Smith and Warner now guaranteed a bad reception, after Morgan's wee appeal to the fans. Still... Could've did/done worse, they could've played for England, isn't that right , Irishman.

Edited by ri Alban

Nelly Terraces

Genuinely shocked when I heard Morgan had stuck the Aussies in to bat 1st. Thought they'd have learned their lesson from failing in 2 run chases, both against fairly mediocre opposition, so far. Now looking like a big mistake & the pressure is mounting on England.

53 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Genuinely shocked when I heard Morgan had stuck the Aussies in to bat 1st. Thought they'd have learned their lesson from failing in 2 run chases, both against fairly mediocre opposition, so far. Now looking like a big mistake & the pressure is mounting on England.

Finely balanced now with those two quick wickets.

They probably will, but interesting to see if Aus make 300+

7 minutes ago, RobboM said:

England bottling this chase early ?

Totally.  As much as I'd like England to win, it is at the same time rather amusing!

132goals1958

If Pakistan beat New Zealand tomorrow then I would make them favorites to beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh. That would mean England would have to win their remaining two games.   

I P Knightley
32 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

If Pakistan beat New Zealand tomorrow then I would make them favorites to beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh. That would mean England would have to win their remaining two games.   

Their two remaining games being against the two teams who haven't lost thus far.

132goals1958
9 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Their two remaining games being against the two teams who haven't lost thus far.

Maybe if they hadn,t jeered Warner and Smith the Aussies might not have got the added incentive

132goals1958

Pakistan win with only 2 balls remaining. Got to fell sorry for the Afghans who I think have only beaten Scotland.What a shock this might have been.

I've been totally underwhelmed by this tournament so far, not a big fan of the format. 

But England have a couple of huge games coming up. Pretty much have to win 4 in a row to win the thing 

Right then! England beat India to overtake Pakistan and no-one questions this.  :Aye:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Right then! England beat India to overtake Pakistan and no-one questions this.  :Aye:

I don't buy any of these Pakistan conspiracy theories. I mean Root dropped Rohit when he'd only scored 4 and he was the backbone of the India innings. ALL teams (England and Pakistan included) have had it in their own hands to qualify or not .... just win your games. Pakistan lost (by a huge margin) to India, lost to West Indies (by a huge margin) and were very lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan. It was only the England loss to Sri Lanka that gave them a sniff of a chance and England still have to beat New Zealand ... absolutely no guarantees there!

11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I don't buy any of these Pakistan conspiracy theories. I mean Root dropped Rohit when he'd only scored 4 and he was the backbone of the India innings. ALL teams (England and Pakistan included) have had it in their own hands to qualify or not .... just win your games. Pakistan lost (by a huge margin) to India, lost to West Indies (by a huge margin) and were very lucky to squeeze by Afghanistan. It was only the England loss to Sri Lanka that gave them a sniff of a chance and England still have to beat New Zealand ... absolutely no guarantees there!

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

:conspiracy:

Enablers!

132goals1958
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I am pleased England won but what Dhoni was thinking about in pushing singles at the end is anyone’s guess. Cricket used to be the last bastion of integrity but Jason Roy just like everyone else would basically cheated when he gloved that ball and was caught out in more senses than one