Edinburgh weather

theshed

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Quality construction.... 🙄 

Makes you wonder how secure the glass panels are...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Morgan

• Tazio

• Governor Tarkin

John Findlay
1 hour ago, OBE said:

How come the VW Golf/Polo in the background is above the high water mark?

As Lemongrab said, the VW Golf is in the Lidl car park. Just looks higher due to the angle I took the picture from.

I noticed a few weeks ago the gulley (siver for us old ones) at the bus stop up the hill from my house was solid with silt and gravel from roadworks. And of course tonight there was a full on river rolling down the same hill. 

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I think the car's in the Lidl carpark there, it's a bit back, and a good bit down, from the road. Difficult to see in JF's photo.

:thumbs_up:

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As Lemongrab said, the VW Golf is in the Lidl car park. Just looks higher due to the angle I took the picture from.

Drive that road on a regular basis JF, is that looking North towards the Firth?

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I noticed a few weeks ago the gulley (siver for us old ones) at the bus stop up the hill from my house was solid with silt and gravel from roadworks. And of course tonight there was a full on river rolling down the same hill. 

I asked a council contractor in East lothian what they were pouring down the siver 30 feet from my front door. Was told by a burly dippit hod carrier to ***k off and mind my own. The council houses in the street were in the process of being re-harled, buckets of excess white adhesive were poured down the nearest siver opposite the house that was being harled. After this adhesive set, the street was a flowing river with the slightest of rain fall. Those contractors are ****ing criminals...  

Sat comfortably in our Orangery drinking a lovely Aldi’s Clare Vally Riesling whilst the heavens opened above us. It certainly washed the roof! ⛈🥂

skinnybob72

There was a video showing water flowing from a new town street down into the basement flats - I would guess that the water was unable to go down the drains as you might expect. Now if that was the case - that the drains were silted up through neglect - surely the homeowners have a right to claim against CEC / Scottish Water?

5 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

surely the homeowners have a right to claim against CEC / Scottish Water?

These things are difficult to prove. Hopefully those affected have house insurance.

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, OBE said:

:thumbs_up:

Drive that road on a regular basis JF, is that looking North towards the Firth?

Yes it is.

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Didn't know they'd included an indoor water feature.

People were queueing for a shot on the flumes, apparently. 

The new St James Centre isn’t enclosed as such - the roof arch just sort-of sits over it - there are large gaps under the roof to give it more of an ‘outdoor’ feel.

I suppose they weren’t expecting biblical rain.

I read on another (well-regarded and usually accurate) site that the broken pane was caused by a scaffolding pole.

47 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The new St James Centre isn’t enclosed as such - the roof arch just sort-of sits over it - there are large gaps under the roof to give it more of an ‘outdoor’ feel.

I suppose they weren’t expecting biblical rain.

I read on another (well-regarded and usually accurate) site that the broken pane was caused by a scaffolding pole.

The SkyscaperCity forums? A much more credible source of information than the articles that have and will pop up on Edinburgh Live/EEN designed to get folk frothing at the mouth in the Facebook comments about this. 

Think we need to consider SJQ more as a multi-level outdoor street than a traditional mall, the roof will keep folk dry if there's a light shower or drizzle but heavy rain will find a way in - still rather be 'in' there during a downpour than taking the full force of it on an open street. Thankfully rain like today's is pretty rare so shouldn't be an issue too often, probably not much consolation to Boots though who's store was completely inundated. 

Edited by Jamboross

2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

The SkyscaperCity forums? A much more credible source of information than the articles that have and will pop up on Edinburgh Live/EEN designed to get folk frothing at the mouth in the Facebook comments about this. 

Think we need to consider SJQ more as a multi-level outdoor street than a traditional mall, the roof will keep folk dry if there's a light shower or drizzle but heavy rain will find a way in - still rather be 'in' there during a downpour than taking the full force of it on an open street. Probably not much consolation to Boots though who's store was completely inundated. 

👍

Harry Potter
On 03/06/2019 at 08:40, theshed said:

How bad is the weather at the moment and no sign of it getting any better soon 

meant to be summer, complete shambles/joke, nothing unusual though, same old every year.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

meant to be summer, complete shambles/joke, nothing unusual though, same old every year.

Yes the Trades Fortnight throughout the years has generally been pish with the odd exception.

You had to put up with it because going abroad wasn’t an option for us.

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes the Trades Fortnight throughout the years has generally been pish with the odd exception.

correct, away in a field camping with my mum and dad, loads o rain to test the tent😄.

But we were happy, we had lovely scenary up north.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

correct, away in a field camping with my mum and dad, loads o rain to test the tent😄.

But we were happy, we had lovely scenary up north.

Good memories that counts.

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Been like this for as long as I can remember with very few exceptions. I remember the David Bowie gig at the start of the trades in 1983....................monsoon conditions.

5 hours ago, JWL said:

Been like this for as long as I can remember with very few exceptions. I remember the David Bowie gig at the start of the trades in 1983....................monsoon conditions.

Not only pish weather but had to suffer The Thompson Twins. 

Malinga the Swinga

The weather on Edinburgh is just pish. If it isn't pissing down with rain, then it's blowing a gale. 

No possibility of planning ahead, no consistency for more than a few hours and a constant dampness you can't shake off.

Do The Dance
21 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Think we need to consider SJQ more as a multi-level outdoor street than a traditional mall, the roof will keep folk dry if there's a light shower or drizzle but heavy rain will find a way in - still rather be 'in' there during a downpour than taking the full force of it on an open street. Thankfully rain like today's is pretty rare so shouldn't be an issue too often, probably not much consolation to Boots though who's store was completely inundated. 

Still requires a bloody mask to be worn though... 🤨

AlimOzturk

So I am in Blackpool with the family for a few days and get a phone call from my neighbour saying there has been an electrical fire in my house caused by water leaking into my electrical fuse box due to the storm last week. Fire brigade have condemned my house. 

**** sake. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

So I am in Blackpool with the family for a few days and get a phone call from my neighbour saying there has been an electrical fire in my house caused by water leaking into my electrical fuse box due to the storm last week. Fire brigade have condemned my house. 

**** sake. 

FFS mate. Do you own the house? Hope you can get it sorted quickly.

If you're insured your insurance company should cover the cost of putting you and the family up in digs while the necessary repair works are carried out.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

**** sake. 

Have you got tonight's lottery  numbers?............ on second thoughts maybe not😉.

I hope you get everything sorted  for you and your family.

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Didn't actually mind The Thompson Twins, better than a lot of the shite that was kicking about back then. Now sitting here trying to think of a band that were actually shiter.

Edited by JWL

been here before
29 minutes ago, JWL said:

Didn't actually mind The Thompson Twins, better than a lot of the shite that was kicking about back then. Now sitting here trying to think of a band that were actually shiter.

First band off the top of my head...

Tears For Fears

54 minutes ago, been here before said:

First band off the top of my head...

Tears For Fears

Lot worse than them too. Kajagoogoo and Haircut 100 for starters.

been here before
15 minutes ago, JWL said:

Lot worse than them too. Kajagoogoo and Haircut 100 for starters.

Oh aye Kaja-****in-googoo.

Limahl and that keyboard player with the spikey hair and beads.

Tossers.

Would never tire of smacking Roland Orzabal about though. Stupid hair, smug looking dick and a purveyor of shite music.

29 minutes ago, been here before said:

Oh aye Kaja-****in-googoo.

Limahl and that keyboard player with the spikey hair and beads.

Tossers.

Would never tire of smacking Roland Orzabal about though. Stupid hair, smug looking dick and a purveyor of shite music.

Probably better with a new 'Shite 80's bands' thread. Add Dead or Alive and 5 Star to the list.

On 05/07/2021 at 01:37, EH11_2NL said:

Let's take the knee for Stockbridge. SLM. 

What has Stockbridge done to annoy you so?

Maple Leaf
21 hours ago, Tazio said:

I quite like the Thompson Twins.  Actually, I have a picture, pinned to my wall.

The Mighty Thor
34 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I quite like the Thompson Twins.  Actually, I have a picture, pinned to my wall.

:facepalm:

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

What has Stockbridge done to annoy you so?

Got stung at The Raeburn years ago at a wake. Never forgiven them.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

Got stung at The Raeburn years ago at a wake. Never forgiven them.

Sounds bad.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

They supported Bowie at Murrayfield in July 1983. 

It pished down but I was in the East Stand  :verysmug:

We got married the Saturday afterwards. 

You married the Thompson Twins? 
Weird. 

It's like living in the Jungle, 90% humidity, hot, pishes down with rain at night. Climate change turning Scotland into the tropics. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Well it looks like our summer is arriving today. 😃

Hopefully a decent spell of it.

Dennis Reynolds

Long weekend off for me. Booked into beer gardens all day Friday and then a garden party on Saturday for a mates Stag doo. Pleasing, very pleasing. 

:yas:

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Well it looks like our summer is arriving today. 😃

I finish up on Friday for a fortnight off before heading for another spot of quarantine early next month. :jj:

5 minutes ago, LMc said:

Long weekend off for me. Booked into beer gardens all day Friday and then a garden party on Saturday for a mates Stag doo. Pleasing, very pleasing. 

:pleasing:

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, LMc said:

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺👍

Shanks said no

Looks like I have booked the right long weekend too

beer garden booked Thursday and Friday 

zoo summer night booked for Saturday, which I’m told you can drink at

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

The kids are away playing with some friends, the wife is buried in a book. I’m sat out the back just myself, the sun and treating birds. 

Glorious:jjyay:

It almost feels like I should be drinking albeit I will resist the urge. 

Do you have a special way of treating them ? Best hope the wife’s book is good , she might catch you 😉

Governor Tarkin
52 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Looks like I have booked the right long weekend too

beer garden booked Thursday and Friday 

zoo summer night booked for Saturday, which I’m told you can drink at

Got the zoo booked for Friday :jj:

Forecast for the next few days here high 30's. It has been this way now for quite a while, getting old so find it really tiring. Forest fires bursting out all over the Province, and the wee town Lytton that boasted being the hottest place ever in Canada, had a fire that burned down the whole wee town. Cause still not totally established.