Godinho on way out?

Chaps

6 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Same here. I’ve been disappointed to see a fair few young guys released, but genuinely struggling to think of one who went on to bigger or even comparable things. 

I think only Scott Robinson in recent years tied down a first team spot at a Premiership club, but still at a much lower level than Hearts, and only after initially dropping down a league before getting promoted.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• kimosavi

• Mr Elwood P

• Finlay James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Then you also have to be prepared to lose games and gain success over a longer period. 

If you introduce them all at the same time, and don’t utilise development loans and a measured gradual approach, then yes. Basically.

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think only Scott Robinson in recent years tied down a first team spot at a Premiership club, but still at a much lower level than Hearts, and only after initially dropping down a league before getting promoted.

Jamie Mac

22 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Players need a run of games imo. Young players should be afforded longer due to them still developing physically, and improving with experience. Deciding a player doesn’t have it as soon as they break through, like the other poster suggested is extremely flawed. 

I agree and I think most fans would give younger players that time if they see there is promise there. I would rather do that than fill the squad with "back up" players, there is zero scope for improvement and it must really frustrate young players trying to break through.

6 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I agree and I think most fans would give younger players that time if they see there is promise there. I would rather do that than fill the squad with "back up" players, there is zero scope for improvement and it must really frustrate young players trying to break through.

There must be a point though around 20/21 that the professional coaches can tell when a player is going to make it or not. They rarely seem to get it wrong, in our case anyhow. I assume we then let them go so we can promote someone like Hickey and give the next in line the chance to make a bigger impact than the player being released.

It seems to be a juggling act between giving players of 20/21 more time or potentially holding back a 17/18 year old.

I think there is a case for keeping these players as backup. We actually could have done with Kevin McHattie and Billy King in seasons past. But we seem to have a policy of being fair to players and if they're not going to become a regular we tell them and let them find another club to try to push on their instead. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

There must be a point though around 20/21 that the professional coaches can tell when a player is going to make it or not. They rarely seem to get it wrong, in our case anyhow. I assume we then let them go so we can promote someone like Hickey and give the next in line the chance to make a bigger impact than the player being released.

It seems to be a juggling act between giving players of 20/21 more time or potentially holding back a 17/18 year old.

I think there is a case for keeping these players as backup. We actually could have done with Kevin McHattie and Billy King in seasons past. But we seem to have a policy of being fair to players and if they're not going to become a regular we tell them and let them find another club to try to push on their instead. 

It's a pyramid also. Remember that other bigger clubs are also releasing their 21-23 year olds and it may be that clubs our size want to perhaps pick up one of two of them, which necessitates freeing one or two of our own, to drop a level in turn...

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think good coaches and managers do tend to know by that age, yes. Your average supporter, not so much.

20 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It's a pyramid also. Remember that other bigger clubs are also releasing their 21-23 year olds and it may be that clubs our size want to perhaps pick up one of two of them, which necessitates freeing one or two of our own, to drop a level in turn...

Yep, also have to take in to account that you could have an excellent eighteen year old waiting his turn behind a 21 year old who although good, isn’t as good as the lad behind him could potentially be. Good management is balancing all of that with a good first eleven.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I think good coaches and managers do tend to know by that age, yes. Your average supporter, not so much.

Totally. It's why if we pick up players like Clare, Mulraney and Wighton at that age as prospects it's because we see something we can work with that the young players on our books don't have.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Totally. It's why if we pick up players like Clare, Mulraney and Wighton at that age as prospects it's because we see something we can work with that the young players on our books don't have.

That’s how I see it, yep. ?

On 03/06/2019 at 08:47, Absolute Scenes said:

Moore I'm not bothered about but gutted about Zanatta if true - really think he could have kicked on and been a regular this year

I was hoping Zanatta would get one more chance too.

CloustonHMFC
19 hours ago, iainmac said:

I hope you're right but the jury is still out on that.  When we regularly start producing players that can play 150 games for the 1st team, then the Academy can rightly claim to be doing a great job. 

Jury is going to be out on that for another 3-5 years as we will not see the fruits of the work done on the academy until then. I know two boys who have been part of the academy at different times, one before the take over and one after and the difference sound massive. I have confidence the work will pay off.

BBC Sport quotes The Sun saying he could quit for more first team football.

I wouldn't hold him back.  I haven't seen anything there to suggest he can hold down a first team place.

We need to get the squad number down - guys like G will always be on the fringes at best. A few others need to move on too as we have about 10 players who are all very similar in terms of style & ability. Because of that they can’t get enough game time and we have no idea if they can improve or not. 

24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I wouldn't hold him back.  I haven't seen anything there to suggest he can hold down a first team place.

He's saying that if he can play in the Gold Cup then he is more than capable of playing in the SPFL.

Well personally I don't think he's been great in the SPFL and yes he's had injuries, but at other times has looked very average defensively.

I'd let him go to be honest

johnking123

We can't just let him go.  We have to make sure he has a sell on clause or something. Think he could turn into a good player.

18 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We can't just let him go.  We have to make sure he has a sell on clause or something. Think he could turn into a good player.

I agree you let him go with the insurance of some kind of clause.

Essentially don't do what we did with Bjorn Johnson

He isnt near the standard required so hopefully moves on to better his career and we free up a wage or place for another young one to push for.....

The White Cockade

miles better than Brandon but has had a lot of injuries

if we thought he would be 100% fit going forward i'd keep him otherwise

wish him all the best in his career

I still think he could push on

Phil D. Corners
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

I think that would make it very hard for him to find a club. 

I think we should let him go and wish him all the best. 

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

He turns 22 next week.  Hearts keep their costs down by keeping academy players up to 21 and then let go if not considered good enough.  Brandon is in a similar situation but he is a year younger.  

Let us hope that Michael Smith keeps fit next season.

Zanatta and Currie are 2 other players that have reached the threshold.

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, johnking123 said:

We'll be saving money on the rest of the contract, so it will probablyu be a negotiated departure. If we want a sell onclause it will restrict which clubs will take him so he would want more of a pay off - essentially we'd be gambling he is going to be better for someone else than he was for us. I wouldn't risk much money on that from what I have seen of him. Wasn't a bad player but wasn't good enough IMO for a team aspiring to top 3.

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Good going forward. Defending suspect. Still unsure. 

I must watch a different player then. He’s pretty hopeless going forward and can be solid enough defensively, with the odd brain fart every so often. I actually see him as a future centre back as he’s quite big and powerful. But just not at Hearts. He’s simply not good enough.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I must watch a different player then. He’s pretty hopeless going forward and can be solid enough defensively, with the odd brain fart every so often. I actually see him as a future centre back as he’s quite big and powerful. But just not at Hearts. He’s simply not good enough.

He's not particularly big, maybe 5'9 or 5'10 I reckon and def better going forward down the wing. No idea who you're describing but doesn't sound like Godinho?

20190624_025559.jpg.0626aec7e6ab278f1214c3c549c8ea73.jpg

That's him stood next to Mulraney for comparison.

Edited by RS86

Seems to be standard, certainly in the last couple of years, for Hearts youngsters to get a serious injury just as they are breaking into the first team. Off the top of my head, Currie, Keena, Morrison, Brandon and obviously Godinho have been affected. Hard enough for youngsters to make the break through as it is, doubly so when coming back from a serious injury.

Edited by HMFC 86

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Compromise not good at either. 

OmiyaHearts

Canada have been knocked out the Gold Cup. Lost 3-2 to Haiti, despite being 2-0 up at HT.

Godinho is getting a hard time from Canadian fans and being blamed for the first two Haiti goals. A short back-pass to the keeper got intercepted and he also gave away a penalty with a poorly timed slide tackle.

Should be back training with us soon but I don't think he'll ever be a regular for us.

GorgieFifeLife
8 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Canada have been knocked out the Gold Cup. Lost 3-2 to Haiti, despite being 2-0 up at HT.

Godinho is getting a hard time from Canadian fans and being blamed for the first two Haiti goals. A short back-pass to the keeper got intercepted and he also gave away a penalty with a poorly timed slide tackle.

Should be back training with us soon but I don't think he'll ever be a regular for us.

He is going to be among a number of players who will be trimmed from our squad during pre season assessment.  A lot of dead wood due to be cast adrift very soon.

heartmussel
26 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

He is going to be among a number of players who will be trimmed from our squad during pre season assessment.  A lot of dead wood due to be cast adrift very soon.

Watched the game,he had an absolute nightmare.Felt sorry for him he should have been replaced way out of his depth and it was only Haiti.As a youngster only hope he can bounce back, personally never really rated him time will tell.

Canada where in absolute control. First half total dominance and then total collapse. He had a nightmare, hope he bounces back. Never nice to see someone impact a game in such a negative way, especially that young. 

Mr Elwood P
51 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Who else do you consider to be ‘dead wood’ ?

MaskedMarauder

He’s getting absolutely torn to shreds by the media over there. Way out of his depth. Feel sorry for him a little because when he was an academy player he was a genuinely nice guy. Never an arrogant bone in his body and always getting his head down wanting to work. 

Fast forward a year or so and he’s a completely different person. Just dumped his lovely girlfriend for no apparent reason, swaggering about in all the designer gear (some horrendous studded shoes but always keen to point out the fashion statement is all about the red soles) and seems to love spending all his wages on dinners and nights out in George Street with the other Edinburgh spice boys. 

MaskedMarauder
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Godinho, Lee, Baur, Zanatta and possibly Wighton is my guess

Defensively ropey I always thought for us. Liam Smith who was in large made to play out of position at left back was a much better defender than Godinho.

Godinho will never be good enough for what we are looking for. I'd obviously have Michael Smith first choice then Brandon or Cammy Logan, hearts lad born and bred, Scottish youth player, held his own I the reserves still only what 17 get him involved in the first team squad. 

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

i think the keeper has to take some blame for the first one, he had more than enough time to boot that but he seemed like he wasn't paying attention. the pen is horrendous tho no need to dive in.

but Godinho is not that good, there are dozens of players like him in the lower leagues in Scotland,  only 22 so can still improve i guess. 

On 24/06/2019 at 02:56, RS86 said:

He's not particularly big, maybe 5'9 or 5'10 I reckon and def better going forward down the wing. No idea who you're describing but doesn't sound like Godinho?

20190624_025559.jpg.0626aec7e6ab278f1214c3c549c8ea73.jpg

That's him stood next to Mulraney for comparison.

I’m with Uncle Buck on this one. You see his limitations going forward...he’s slow and awkward on the ball and rarely creates anything with his passing or movement. Defensively, I don’t think he’s too bad - thought he had his better games when we fielded a really defensive line up.

Edited by Gershwin

Randy Marsh
34 minutes ago, MaskedMarauder said:

He’s getting absolutely torn to shreds by the media over there. Way out of his depth. Feel sorry for him a little because when he was an academy player he was a genuinely nice guy. Never an arrogant bone in his body and always getting his head down wanting to work. 

Fast forward a year or so and he’s a completely different person. Just dumped his lovely girlfriend for no apparent reason, swaggering about in all the designer gear (some horrendous studded shoes but always keen to point out the fashion statement is all about the red soles) and seems to love spending all his wages on dinners and nights out in George Street with the other Edinburgh spice boys

:lol:  Good term for those twats.

MaskedMarauder
7 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

:lol:  Good term for those twats.

That’s being generous to them aswell. Can’t stand when our players get involved with all the Hibs supporting twats who hang out the back of every footballer who dares to speak to them. Brandon and Walker fall into that group too unfortunately. 

Bloody nora, just seen the two goals...he is clearly at fault for both....I hate seeing defenders slide in and commit unless its do or die stuff, no need...shows a clear lack of footballing brain and calmness under pressure when you simply sell yourself which he has done for us also...

Hopefully we can shift him off the books for his benefit and most importantly our own to boot.....

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Brandon, Lee, Henderson, McLean, Doyle, Bozanic, Zanatta.

1 hour ago, Dinger said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

i think the keeper has to take some blame for the first one, he had more than enough time to boot that but he seemed like he wasn't paying attention. the pen is horrendous tho no need to dive in.

but Godinho is not that good, there are dozens of players like him in the lower leagues in Scotland,  only 22 so can still improve i guess. 

The first one is a shocking pass for the keeper to deal with. Godinho is not and never will be good enough for Hearts neither will Brandon.

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, MaskedMarauder said:

Godinho, Lee, Baur, Zanatta and possibly Wighton is my guess

Is Baur not a bit young to be written off?

55 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Brandon, Lee, Henderson, McLean, Doyle, Bozanic, Zanatta.

MacLean is actually a very good player and was instrumental in our great start to the season. Scored a great strikers goal against Rangers  and setup the equaliser in the derby towards the end of the season. A footballers footballer which is why some folk can’t see it. Doyle and Bozanic aren’t deadwood they are cover for key positions. Doyle does seem to have a few mistakes in him but we need a reserve keeper. Interestingly we kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in his 11 matches. Lee is a good squad player also. Contributed to 18 goals!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Jean Louis Valois
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is Baur not a bit young to be written off?

MacLean is actually a very good player and was instrumental in our great start to the season. Scored a great strikers goal against Rangers  and setup the equaliser in the derby towards the end of the season. A footballers footballer which is why some folk can’t see it. Doyle and Bozanic aren’t deadwood they are cover for key positions. Doyle does seem to have a few mistakes in him but we need a reserve keeper. Interestingly we kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in his 11 matches. Lee is a good squad player also. Contributed to 18 goals!

Baur is a donkey and will never be good enough for Hearts. Edinburgh City might be his standard if he’s lucky.