Godinho on way out?

Chaps

We need to get the squad number down - guys like G will always be on the fringes at best. A few others need to move on too. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• kimosavi

• Mr Elwood P

• Finlay James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He’ll always be special to me, if only for the time I was half cut in hospitality and stuck money on him as 1st goal scorer. 

80-1. Still brings a smile 

Captain Canada

There are probably a few that fall into the same category: 

Brandon

Moore

Henderson

Currie

Zanatta

I think if any of these players was going to make it, they'd have played a lot more for us by now.

When we sign Naismith and possibly two new strikers, there won't be room for a few of these younger guys. 

12 hours ago, McCrae said:

Does he not have problems with his knee that limit the number of games he can play in a season?

Think so.  Sure I read a while back that he couldn't train full time due to his injury problems.   If you can't train the same as your team mates you're going to have to be really good to compensate. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Sandison & Logan are at Hickeys level.  Logan, as well as the other 2 Hearts lads in the team, was head and shoulders above playing for Scotland U-17's recently

That's brilliant to hear! Cheers

2 hours ago, cocobeab said:

He’ll always be special to me, if only for the time I was half cut in hospitality and stuck money on him as 1st goal scorer. 

80-1. Still brings a smile 

Now that's a good reason ?

17 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Moore I'm not bothered about but gutted about Zanatta if true - really think he could have kicked on and been a regular this year

Zanatta was given a new deal at x mass must be in the clubs plans seemed to have a good year at Alloa scored some great goals with 14 assists

Mr Brightside
7 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Brandon

Moore

Henderson

Currie

Zanatta

I think if any of these players was going to make it, they'd have played a lot more for us by now.

When we sign Naismith and possibly two new strikers, there won't be room for a few of these younger guys. 

Harsh on Henderson as he is only 18. The other guys a few years older.

Finlay James
7 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Brandon

Moore

Henderson

Currie

Zanatta

I think Zanatta will be given preseason to see where he's at.  He's a good bench option at the very least.

Henderson is still young and will be given another chance, probably on loan again but at a higher level.

Captain Canada
7 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Harsh on Henderson as he is only 18. The other guys a few years older.

I didn't realise he was still so young - he seems to have been around a while. When I look at the type of players Levein seems to favour though, I'm not sure if he'll ever get a run in the team.

I've always thought Zanatta had good potential but has never had 10/15 games to show what he can do. He should be ahead of Wighton I think. 

Edited by Captain Canada

Cruyff Turn

We should probably punt both Godinho and Brandon tbh. 

Brandon both games v Celtic he was atrocious and got ripped up for arse paper at Pittodrie. 

He’ll never be first choice at Hearts and there’s better laddies from the Academy coming through.

johnthomas
1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

I didn't realise he was still so young - he seems to have been around a while. When I look at the type of players Levein seems to favour though, I'm not sure if he'll ever get a run in the team.

I've always thought Zanatta had good potential but has never had 10/15 games to show what he can do. He should be ahead of Wighton I think. 

Levein favours Uche and Mulraney , Valois and De Vries . What type are they ?

Edited by johnthomas

letsalldothebeattie

Given we have Michael Smith as our out and out first choice at right back when fit I can understand Godinho looking at his options. Him leaving could go 1 of 2 ways. He leaves us and develops into a top right back and we regret not giving him the chance to shine. Or he doesn’t hit the levels and fades out and plays back home in Canada or second tier in the states. It’s a big choice for Marcus this summer and I hope he makes the right one. I personally would like to see him stay as he is a better option for me than Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

I remember always being disappointed when players of 20/21 got released from the first team squad despite seeming to be worth a place on the bench at least. In recent years, Billy King, David Smith, McHattie, McGhee, Fraser Mullen ... but not one has proven the club wrong and ended up playing at the same level as Hearts.

Going back years I can't think of a single youngster we let go at Godhino's age who proved the club wrong so I guess they know what they're doing.  Football coaches must be able to tell at 20 or so if a player is going to progress or not.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I remember always being disappointed when players of 20/21 got released from the first team squad despite seeming to be worth a place on the bench at least. In recent years, Billy King, David Smith, McHattie, McGhee, Fraser Mullen ... but not one has proven the club wrong and ended up playing at the same level as Hearts.

Going back years I can't think of a single youngster we let go at Godhino's age who proved the club wrong so I guess they know what they're doing.  Football coaches must be able to tell at 20 or so if a player is going to progress or not.

I remember there was uproar on here when we let Mullen go 

Now plying his trade at Cowdenbeath 

18 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

I think people always want our own boys to succeed. I was disappointed when David Smith left but you look at how his career has panned out, shows what I know likes....

I think Godinho will do ok but I personally have never been convinced by him. Wish the lad all the best but I think this is a good decision. But given my previous he probably goes on plays for Real Madrid and is sold for millions 

Holyrood_Hearts
25 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wee robbo interested in taking him to Inverness I believe 

Now there’s a surprise!

51 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

I think people always want our own boys to succeed. I was disappointed when David Smith left but you look at how his career has panned out, shows what I know likes....

I think Godinho will do ok but I personally have never been convinced by him. Wish the lad all the best but I think this is a good decision. But given my previous he probably goes on plays for Real Madrid and is sold for millions 

Godinho has Limited ability for me and won't make the grade at Hearts he'd be ideally suited to a Falkirk or Partick in the championship he'll go with my best wishes 

2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

I think you're remembering that wrongly.

Pretty far from uproar is how i remember it.

loveofthegame
5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It’s a good point. As Mscjambo says below, it’s probably that folk have an attachment to youngsters we produce as they see them as “our own” but in the main we produce very limited players of real ability to make it at our level or above.

Even the players in recent years who you could argue left for “better” things (ie more money). Which of them have really been a success at a higher level? Paterson is the obvious example. McGowan went away and made an absolute fortune in the Far East/Middle East and down south but has ultimately become a bit of a (well paid) journeyman (respect to him all the same for making the most of the ability he has). It remains to be seen where Nicholson will end up but still linked with move back to SPL & Walker, despite probably being on very decent money now, will end up back in the SPL too.

19 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I think you're remembering that wrongly.

Pretty far from uproar is how i remember it.

Probably true some were more bemused than causing an uproar that we had let a talent go that may come back to bite us in the ass 

Jean Louis Valois
On 04/06/2019 at 14:24, Captain Canada said:

Henderson, Moore, Baur and won’t make it at Hearts. They’ve had opportunities in the first team and on loan and haven’t really taken them 

On 03/06/2019 at 23:02, Captain Canada said:

Brandon

Moore

Henderson

Currie

Zanatta

I’d give Brandon another shot, but the rest yes. Add Baur into that aswell. They won’t make it at this level. All Scottish lower league standard if they are lucky.

Finlay James
12 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

It’s a good point. As Mscjambo says below, it’s probably that folk have an attachment to youngsters we produce as they see them as “our own” but in the main we produce very limited players of real ability to make it at our level or above.

Even the players in recent years who you could argue left for “better” things (ie more money). Which of them have really been a success at a higher level? Paterson is the obvious example. McGowan went away and made an absolute fortune in the Far East/Middle East and down south but has ultimately become a bit of a (well paid) journeyman (respect to him all the same for making the most of the ability he has). It remains to be seen where Nicholson will end up but still linked with move back to SPL & Walker, despite probably being on very decent money now, will end up back in the SPL too.

This is exactly why the academy was completely revamped.  The players coming through now are head and shoulders above what we have produced in the past.

Seems like a good idea - let’s get rid of another internationalist and see him go on to better things. Like we did with Bjorn Johnsen (banging them in for Norway and at club level). 

51 minutes ago, jambodoug said:

Seems like a good idea - let’s get rid of another internationalist and see him go on to better things. Like we did with Bjorn Johnsen (banging them in for Norway and at club level). 

Let's not let reality get too much in the way of your post, for some balance I'll add that bjorn johnsen was utterly useless for most of his time on the park for Hearts. Was not disappointed in the slightest when he left. He wasn't up for the fight enough. 

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

This is exactly why the academy was completely revamped.  The players coming through now are head and shoulders above what we have produced in the past.

I hope you're right but the jury is still out on that.  When we regularly start producing players that can play 150 games for the 1st team, then the Academy can rightly claim to be doing a great job. 

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Same here. I’ve been disappointed to see a fair few young guys released, but genuinely struggling to think of one who went on to bigger or even comparable things. 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I was saying exactly the same to a friend on Friday and neither of us could come up with someone we have let go who has gone on to better things.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, jambodoug said:

Not a good comparison. The Scottish game being overtly physical and frenetic did not suit him. I doubt he would ever have been a big success here.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Disappointed if he doesn't make it at Hearts as I thought he looked good when he broke into the first team. I read a while ago that he was still  hampered by knee problems and I'm guessing this might prevent him from training and playing regularly enough to be a first pick going forward. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think you can tell as soon as they break in to the team tbh, if a player has talent it will shine through straight away, they might make errors etc but you can always tell if a player has something more than your average player, Godinho for me always looked very robotic and safe, a bit like Liam Smith etc just a very average player.

Finlay James
54 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I hope you're right but the jury is still out on that.  When we regularly start producing players that can play 150 games for the 1st team, then the Academy can rightly claim to be doing a great job. 

Absolutely, it will be another 5-6 years before we really know.  However, the difference now is the coaching and training methods which are focused heavily on teamwork, awareness, touch, control and vision.  The young lads coming through at the moment have much better awareness and touch than any of our experienced players (John Souttar aside).  They are much calmer on the ball and this is no coincidence.

Whether any will make at a high level is not yet certain but we've given them a great platform to start off on.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not a good comparison. The Scottish game being overtly physical and frenetic did not suit him. I doubt he would ever have been a big success here.

Disagree. Our game is utter shite because it is overly physical. We just need better refereeing so good players are allowed to thrive, instead of getting kicked off the park with impunity. We need to change our failed approach to football, it doesn’t work.

38 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I think you can tell as soon as they break in to the team tbh, 

Exactly the sort of deluded nonsense that leads to potentially good players getting labelled as shite, when still in their teens. Unfortunately we have a lot of supporters who think this. ?

On 03/06/2019 at 10:57, Costanza said:

Wish him all the best and hope he gets a good club. These are tough decisions that need to be made though. If he was a special player maybe his fitness could be "managed". There are chronic injury issues that are going to plaque his career by all account, but hopefully not ending it prematurely. Good luck and thank you Marcus.

Finlay James
46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Exactly the sort of deluded nonsense that leads to potentially good players getting labelled as shite, when still in their teens. Unfortunately we have a lot of supporters who think this. ?

??

53 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Nah man, some folk don't know a player when they see it though, that's where the problem lies. Thankfully I can so I don't hold out great hope for average players unlike some.

Bridge of Djoum

His positioning and general awareness have been awful when I've watched him. Decent going forward. Not good enough for top level football, yet. I hope he improves, I just don't think It'll be at Hearts.

Bridge of Djoum
On 03/06/2019 at 15:51, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I will be a bit disappointed if we let him go as I think he has been improving and is good cover. Not a world beater by any means but not the worst player to have pulled on maroon. Give him more time Hearts and see what happens.

Good cover is a good point, thing is, if you look at our injuries last season, our cover players were essentially starters for large portions. That harmed us a lot. Whilst a strong ''1st 11'' is vital, we also need that strength in depth. When you have 3,4,5 ''cover'' players starting most weeks, it becomes a problem.

1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

Nah man, some folk don't know a player when they see it though, that's where the problem lies. Thankfully I can so I don't hold out great hope for average players unlike some.

Okay then. ?

Comparing a current international in a decent team to Scottish players that never got capped at youth level is the thinking produced by people with jobbies for brains. 

He’s a good player. He had a bad injury which is hard for young players but he’ll have a good career wether at hearts or not. He’s got some learning to do but is a skillful full back. 

Edited by Dayman

I'd loan him to ICT if Robbo is interested. Preference would be to loan him to a topflight club, but a season under his belt could really let the lad kick on properly. Brandon is probably sufficient back up with Dikamona able to cover in a pinch. 

I don't think we should write off Marcus yet. As others have said, he's an internationalist and he has only played 20 games for us. Give him a bit of time and patience, players develop at different rates. 

loveofthegame
4 hours ago, iainmac said:

Agreed

4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

On the other hand you don't always get many games to impress. This is common at most clubs. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

On the other hand you don't always get many games to impress. This is common at most clubs. 

Players need a run of games imo. Young players should be afforded longer due to them still developing physically, and improving with experience. Deciding a player doesn’t have it as soon as they break through, like the other poster suggested is extremely flawed. 

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Players need a run of games imo. Young players should be afforded longer due to them still developing physically, and improving with experience. Deciding a player doesn’t have it as soon as they break through, like the other poster suggested is extremely flawed. 

Then you also have to be prepared to lose games and gain success over a longer period.