Godinho on way out?

Chaps

2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Bad loss if so imo, I rate him very highly but he’s not getting much of a look in behind an exceptional Michael Smith. 

Does he not have problems with his knee that limit the number of games he can play in a season?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• kimosavi

• Mr Elwood P

• Finlay James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I like Brandon better.

Totally agree, Brandon has huge potential.

Godinho is just unlucky, in the past he would probably be a regular for years (steady player, good crosser of the ball) but right now strangely we are very good for right backs

Gene Parmesan

Genuine question for those who like Brandon: Why?

When Brandon first broke through I thought he looked class but I think he'd be better suited to right mid, wouldn't see any harm in keeping Godhino around as I doubt he's expensive 

44 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Isn’t that the risk when any youngster is allowed to leave?

When was the last time we were left kicking ourselves at a youngster leaving and him going onto better things?

Yep totally agree with you was more an observation than any real backing of the lad  but it’s a rare sight having everyone in agreement for 20 something posts ,

I think in most cases it’s the players who are left kicking themselves for either moving too early ,or not taking their chance when it’s in front of them , in his case injury robbed him of a fair chunk of time 

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

His discipline is a worry for me and reckless challenges. Get that side of him sorted and he may come good 

Think Godinho is decent enough despite his injury issues. If he is happy to play second fiddle to Smith I'd keep him.

He's much better than Brandon who just won't cut it at this level.

Gene Parmesan
1 minute ago, kimosavi said:

His discipline is a worry for me and reckless challenges. Get that side of him sorted and he may come good 

I'd add to those worries - can't pass, can't cross, and is suspect in defence (evidence - being repeatedly tortured by Aberdeen's left back last month).

There seems a physical upside to him; he's fairly fast and strong, and his touch and close control/skill is decent enough.

18 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

When Brandon first broke through I thought he looked class but I think he'd be better suited to right mid, wouldn't see any harm in keeping Godhino around as I doubt he's expensive 

I agree re. Brandon as, I actually thought he was a midfielder covering at fullback.

Bit disappointed to read that Zanatta might be let go as well as we are not greatly stocked with wide players and think there's a player in there.

11 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

I agree but the worry is that most of his discipline problems stem from automatic reaction and that usually abates with maturity - which could take some time.

31 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Brandon looked great when he came in at first. Now he looks to have regressed.  I am happy that any player leaves the club if we feel we have better to come in or come through the ranks. 

I wouldn't imagine Godinho or Brandon would be difficult to improve on. 

Anyway, best of luck to Godinho when he moves. 

Also, Zanatta, don't kmow what people see in him. Falkirk type player. 

47 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Only reason I’ve seen given so far, is because “he’s Scottish”. Make of that what you will. I’ve drawn a blank as to what the relevance is.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Only reason I’ve seen given so far, is because “he’s Scottish”. Make of that what you will. I’ve drawn a blank as to what the relevance is.

young Scottish talent is better than average foreign players in my opinion

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

young Scottish talent is better than average foreign players in my opinion

Oh, right. Not sure how their national identity fits in to that.

Did you mean to say, you think Brandon is a better player?

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

Oh, right. Not sure how their national identity fits in to that.

we are a Scottish team, playing in Scotland - I think its only a good thing to have more Scottish players than not

2 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

we are a Scottish team, playing in Scotland - I think its only a good thing to have more Scottish players than not

Even if there are better non-Scots available?

Jambo 4 Ever
8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Even if there are better non-Scots available?

Ofcourse if there are better non-Scots available, then that is good.

But if it's a choice between an average foreign player and average young Scottish player - we should go with the Scottish player where possible,

Cruyff Turn

Knew one of them would get punted, it was either going to be him or Brandon. 

I’m a wee bit shocked it’s Godinho tbh.

Since Brandon has come back from injury he’s been utter horseshit, so i’m quite surprised were keeping hold of him. 

10 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Ofcourse if there are better non-Scots available, then that is good.

But if it's a choice between an average foreign player and average young Scottish player - we should go with the Scottish player where possible,

I see. That wasn’t really clear from your post. Personally I’d not even consider nationality, and it would be 100% down to how good they are, but to each there own. ?

ToadKiller Dog

He's only 21, should be talking about being keen to force his way into the team to get more games, not moving on for more games. 

If he wants to go let him

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Jambo 4 Ever
8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I see. That wasn’t really clear from your post. Personally I’d not even consider nationality, and it would be 100% down to how good they are, but to each there own. ?

yeah that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, as am I.  But like you say, each to their own

13 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Yup it was me

Top man what you thinking bout Godinho possibly leaving to get more football? 

1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

yeah that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, as am I.  But like you say, each to their own

Yes, thanks. That’s what I just said. 

18 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Top man what you thinking bout Godinho possibly leaving to get more football? 

Still think he will be contracted to hearts maybe a loan for 6months. As long as he's here for the first day of preseason that's all I'm interested in.

feedthefox

Always thought he added a bit of urgency was positive and got forward in support. Did he not score at Tynie this season getting on the end of a Soapy pass?? (might be mistaken)

Certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed for another season but if he wants regular football next season he will likely be off.

37 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Still think he will be contracted to hearts maybe a loan for 6months. As long as he's here for the first day of preseason that's all I'm interested in.

Haha me too mate 

4 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I'd have Godhinio ahead of Brandon, but having said that if Smith was out and Godhinio stepped in, for say, a derby game - I'd have the utter fear

Good footballer but someone like Dundee United would be a good level for him

You must have had an aneurysm when they read the teams out on 28th December last year.

I thought he was great that day, but some reason or other he's not had a look in since that game. 

Don't think he's got it going forward though. He's pretty poor with the ball at his feet.

2 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

He's only 21, should be talking about being keen to force his way into the team to get more games, not moving on for more games. 

If he wants to go let him

Just feel he didn't take his chance when he played this season. You don't get many chances. 

It could be Cammy Logan is rated more highly. 

Famous 1874

Not good enough and neither is Brandon. Get them both shipped out with sell on clauses and get a younger and better full back who will compete with Smith for the starting spot. 

Pasquale for King

Maybe a year on loan then decide whether to give him another contract. He is a bit injury prone.

Smith isn’t getting any younger though and misses games through injury himself from time to time, he might also move inside as Hughes did in his latter years.

Mr Elwood P
9 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Marcus is a decent player but I'm not sure he's at our level.  I can see him heading back to Canada/USA this summer.

Smith is obviously our established right back and the club seem to prefer Brandon over Godinho.  IMO, we have better right backs in the reserves and U-18's that could provide cover for Smith.  Jay Sandison and Cammy Logan are very highly regarded at the club.  Logan in particular, is very comfortable on the ball.

Think this is spot on. Godinho and Brandon are both 21 now, probably time to start introducing the younger lads. Hickey being so impressive on the left is probably going to make Logan and Sandison hungry for similar opportunities. 

I like Marcus but he’s not going to overthrow Smith. I’d ideally keep him around because he’s good cover but if he wants to go out and get regular game time elsewhere I can’t hold it against him

1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

I like Marcus but he’s not going to overthrow Smith. I’d ideally keep him around because he’s good cover but if he wants to go out and get regular game time elsewhere I can’t hold it against him

Yeah he's an adequate back up for Hearts but he's not a top 6 Premier league right back.  He's got a tough decision to make, he's at a big club getting reasonable amount of game time for a guy his age and getting into his national team squads.  Could leave and disappear into the abyss or could stay and be get very limited game time and get released aged 23/24 with not much experience.

Gorillajam

I've not been impressed by either of Godinho or Brandon. Personally don't feel they are of SPL quality and would be better suited to the Scottish Championship or league 1. Smith is streets ahead of Godinho.

indianajones

We will let a barely adequate player leave and replace him with another barely adequate player.

Excellent. 

Captain Bubblebeard
8 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't mean to sound harsh but he is nowhere near good enough for us.

While I'm at it, Brandon isn't good enough either. 

When he goes , I wish him well.

Exactly this. If we are coveting improvement next season then neither of these guys should be our backup RB.

Portable Badger

Shame as I rate him slightly higher than Brandon. Saying that I think Marcus and Brandon will end up being Smithesque players - solid, dependable but never set the heather alight.  Wish him every success whether stays or moves on.  

Not much to choose between Brandon and Godinho tbh , Brandon can maybe offer something in midfield as well as right back.

Right time to allow one to move on.

Edited by Gambo

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Think Godinho is decent enough despite his injury issues. If he is happy to play second fiddle to Smith I'd keep him.

He's much better than Brandon who just won't cut it at this level.

Clearing space for two other rb’s coming through. Sandison and Logan. 

Spellczech

Not overly excited by either Godinho or Brandon. Both are about the same level. Neither is good enough to shift Smith. I don't know the younger guys mentioned as being the next age group (Logan and Sandison) but it sounds like one of Godinho or Brandon needs to move on to make space. So be it.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

For me Godinho started off looking shaky and has steadily improved and was looking very good in his last match. Whereas Brandon started off looking like a real player but seems to have regressed.

I hope Godinho reconsiders because we need a really good back up at right back and I'm no longer sure Brandon will cut it.

Good to hear we have young players coming through but unless we have another at Hickey's level then right back could be a problem area if Smith gets injured. 

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

10 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Moore I'm not bothered about but gutted about Zanatta if true - really think he could have kicked on and been a regular this year

Don't get the obsession with Zanatta at all. What has he done in his various loan spells to suggest he will be anything other than a good Championship player?

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe a year on loan then decide whether to give him another contract. He is a bit injury prone.

Smith isn’t getting any younger though and misses games through injury himself from time to time, he might also move inside as Hughes did in his latter years.

Smith turns 31 in September. A bit of life in him yet!

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Don't get the obsession with Zanatta at all. What has he done in his various loan spells to suggest he will be anything other than a good Championship player?

Smith turns 31 in September. A bit of life in him yet!

Yeah and he’s played 280 in ten years which shows he always misses games every season for one reason or another. We need a back up with a view to being his replacement within the next two years, full backs need to be able to get up and down the pitch constantly these days.

Unknown user

I quite like Godinho but we need to have much higher standards, quite good is nowhere near where we want to be.

Brandon's ok too but we should remember that Hickey's a right back that Celtic converted to midfield. I'm more than happy with Smith as our right back for next season with wee Hickey able to step in. 

Finlay James
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

For me Godinho started off looking shaky and has steadily improved and was looking very good in his last match. Whereas Brandon started off looking like a real player but seems to have regressed.

I hope Godinho reconsiders because we need a really good back up at right back and I'm no longer sure Brandon will cut it.

Good to hear we have young players coming through but unless we have another at Hickey's level then right back could be a problem area if Smith gets injured. 

Sandison & Logan are at Hickeys level.  Logan, as well as the other 2 Hearts lads in the team, was head and shoulders above playing for Scotland U-17's recently

All roads lead to Gorgie

I will be a bit disappointed if we let him go as I think he has been improving and is good cover. Not a world beater by any means but not the worst player to have pulled on maroon. Give him more time Hearts and see what happens.

12 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

As a few have said, really don’t think either are good enough. A lot of similarities to McHattie.

Both are half decent going forward, but poor defensively and both look a lot worse after injury, which happened with McHattie too. 

Personally I’d let both go and bring in one right back. 

Very good post and was what I was thinking.  

He’s alright going forward, but positionally and defensively he’s just not good enough.

The Mchattie comparison is spot on.