Godinho on way out?

Chaps

One of the basic things coaches are expected to do, is to improve players. Writing off youngsters as donkeys is not the way to go about it. Lots of people praise Uche, presumably for his enthusiasm and ability to run into as many defenders as he can, without actually achieving anything. Skill is what the coaches build on not desperate dan style enthusiasm.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• kimosavi

• Mr Elwood P

• Finlay James

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Prof said:

One of the basic things coaches are expected to do, is to improve players. Writing off youngsters as donkeys is not the way to go about it. Lots of people praise Uche, presumably for his enthusiasm and ability to run into as many defenders as he can, without actually achieving anything. Skill is what the coaches build on not desperate dan style enthusiasm.

Different players have different attributes. There is no "one size fits all".

Keeping youngsters who are never going to make it is worse.  You just build up their hopes only to let them down all the harder later.  They are also taking up places of other youngsters who may have a better chance of making it.

GorgieFifeLife
49 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is Baur not a bit young to be written off?

MacLean is actually a very good player and was instrumental in our great start to the season. Scored a great strikers goal against Rangers  and setup the equaliser in the derby towards the end of the season. A footballers footballer which is why some folk can’t see it. Doyle and Bozanic aren’t deadwood they are cover for key positions. Doyle does seem to have a few mistakes in him but we need a reserve keeper. Interestingly we kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in his 11 matches. Lee is a good squad player also. Contributed to 18 goals!

It's all opinions I suppose but I don't believe any of the players I mentioned are good enough.  The comment about McLean only being appreciated by players who have played the game is a good one!  Its plain to see he is too old to cut it at Hearts and when we needed him during the injury crisis he was totally honking.

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

It's all opinions I suppose but I don't believe any of the players I mentioned are good enough.  The comment about McLean only being appreciated by players who have played the game is a good one!  Its plain to see he is too old to cut it at Hearts and when we needed him during the injury crisis he was totally honking.

I don’t think that is true of MacLean at all. I think he will be one of the fittest members of the squad and had actually been one of the only players not to get injured. I think he has a role to play this coming season.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

I'm sure Godinho was at left-back when he first came into the team. I remember a game last season against Aberdeen at Tynie when he did....ok at right back in the first half but McInnes probably knew that's where our weak point in the team was so he brought on Niall McGinn. Godinho was roasted more than not against him and that's where they got their goal from...McGinn wrong-footing him and he gave away a penalty. He is never a right back. I think he, like most of our younger players over the last few years, will end up going down the leagues unless he gets a move elsewhere, down south or abroad. He's not going to take Smith's place in the team and I also think that Brandon is much more comfortable at right back. An able deputy. I thought that Brandon was the stand out player for a few games under Cathro before he got his long-term injury. Quite happy to get down the wing, drift into midfield to make a pass and looked confident and comfortable enough. He's still young and still has something to offer. Godinho probably needs to make a move for his own sake to get regular games in his natural position.

Edited by jambonian

BRAVEHEART1874

Yep remember him giving away a poor penalty, but certainly remember more good games than bad especially after that.

Not as good as our no1 right back smith but he is better than brandon who has been very poor recently let alone his early howler against sevco which was equally as bad a godinhos pen.

Yep did play well on the left also when needed and going forward at times, but if he needs regular football he aint getting it here anytime soon unless smith gets injured 

9 hours ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

Baur is a donkey and will never be good enough for Hearts. Edinburgh City might be his standard if he’s lucky.

If you don't rate him fair enough, but calling young laddies who are part of your own club as donkeys is harsh.

12 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If you don't rate him fair enough, but calling young laddies who are part of your own club as donkeys is harsh.

It's worse than harsh, it's completely ignorant and totally uncalled for.

17 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Quite agree. Appalling. Lad has had a succession of injuries and actually asked to go out on loan in January to improve his game.

Comment says more about the poster than Danny tbh. 

Unknown user
On 16/06/2019 at 09:13, jambodoug said:

Seems like a good idea - let’s get rid of another internationalist and see him go on to better things. Like we did with Bjorn Johnsen (banging them in for Norway and at club level). 

He scored 6 goals for AZ last season.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Johnsen 25 games 7 goals

Uche 26 games 8 goals.

Are we all good now, boys? :lol:

Missed his cup games.

Still, the point was, Johnsen's banging them in is he?

Byyy The Light
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Johnsen 25 games 7 goals

Uche 26 games 8 goals.

?

rick witter
11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is Baur not a bit young to be written off?

MacLean is actually a very good player and was instrumental in our great start to the season. Scored a great strikers goal against Rangers  and setup the equaliser in the derby towards the end of the season. A footballers footballer which is why some folk can’t see it. Doyle and Bozanic aren’t deadwood they are cover for key positions. Doyle does seem to have a few mistakes in him but we need a reserve keeper. Interestingly we kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in his 11 matches. Lee is a good squad player also. Contributed to 18 goals!

We have way too many “squad” players which in other words means average or not good enough to start. We need quality starting players into the team. At least 3 more. 

43 minutes ago, Barack said:

Johnsen 25 games 7 goals

Uche 26 games 8 goals.

What's their goal per minute as Johnsen was on the bench a fair bit compared to his ADO form where he scored plenty bit started a lot more.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Johnsen 25 games 7 goals

Uche 26 games 8 goals.

Let’s not forget his 3 goals for Norway in the Euro Qualifiers, how many international goals has Uche scored this year?

Mr Elwood P
50 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We have way too many “squad” players which in other words means average or not good enough to start. We need quality starting players into the team. At least 3 more. 

Who are the three current starters that aren’t good enough? I suspect you are talking nonsense or have no grasp of our financial reality. Happy to be proven wrong!

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Mr Elwood P
10 minutes ago, jambodoug said:

Let’s not forget his 3 goals for Norway in the Euro Qualifiers, how many international goals has Uche scored this year?

Where are England and Norway ranked respectively?

Crikey. He was at fault for both goals. Pass back was too short, that dive in was utterly ridiculous. 

Seems like he may have caught a bit of the Jordan McGhee. Perhaps, we might be better moving him on. 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, OTT said:

Crikey. He was at fault for both goals. Pass back was too short, that dive in was utterly ridiculous. 

Seems like he may have caught a bit of the Jordan McGhee. Perhaps, we might be better moving him on. 

More like Jason Thompson IMO. Right attitude, would run through brick walls for you. Just not good enough ultimately and as a full back his crossing is average at best. I saw a game last season he could have set up a few chances at least and his crosses were poor each time 

Liam Smith included these guys also don't do much v the big teams in the league when you watch them (often they are easily beat defensively and do nothing going forward) and that's what we have to look at too IMO

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Barack said:

I don't care. It's not my bun-fight.

Hardly a bun fight, all I did was question if bjorn's really "banging them in"!

Slightly off topic but how good is Michael Smith?  By all accounts, very good indeed and still very young.

What will he be worth if he has another good season for club and country?

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Slightly off topic but how good is Michael Smith?  By all accounts, very good indeed and still very young.

Smith is 31 in September.....

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Smith is 31 in September.....

? I’d let the guy off if Smith at least looked young, but no .... 

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Wouldn't be shocked if his form is interesting some. His temperament is spot on on the right. We have him till 2021 anyway though maybe longer

As for him being young, no he isn't but I believe he has another 4 or 5 good years in him

A_A wehatethehibs

Michael Smith is a decent player but if Brandon or Godinho are not showing themselves to be better players than Smith now they are 21-22, it’s fair to assume they will never be good enough for Hearts. One of them has got to force his way in, if they don’t do that they need to be getting off to Dunfermline or Dundee to start the real career and get themselves playing every game. 

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

A good 7/10 every match. 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Michael Smith is a decent player but if Brandon or Godinho are not showing themselves to be better players than Smith now they are 21-22, it’s fair to assume they will never be good enough for Hearts. One of them has got to force his way in, if they don’t do that they need to be getting off to Dunfermline or Dundee to start the real career and get themselves playing every game. 

How 'good' was Smith as a 21-22 year old? 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

How 'good' was Smith as a 21-22 year old? 

He was good enough to win himself a big move from Ballyclare Comrades to Ballymena United in 2009. Doing what those boys need to be doing, playing football matches. 8 years later he got the move to us after 200+ games for Bristol Rovers and Peterborough. Working his way up from the bottom, no silver spoon Hearts academy for him. If these lads are not playing, they are not learning their trade and will never be good enough to play for a club like Hearts with the demands to win every game. You can’t be sitting on the sidelines at 22.

By that age, Calum Paterson had 100+ first team appearances at RB for Hearts. I’m not saying they definitely won’t make it but if they are going to make it, then this is the make or break season. Either one of them will make his breakthrough or neither will. Maybe Brandon the younger might be able to wait one more year but Godinho definitely will move on to get playing. 

Mr Elwood P
On 01/07/2019 at 06:13, Kiwidoug said:

Jesus!

I watched Godinho in the Canada v Haiti game and he was at fault with 2 of the goals and looked uncomfortable at right back. I don’t think any potential club will be rushing to give him a contract.