Tennents 6s

Kiwidoug

I remember not only this but other 6s competitions in the UK were extremely popular back in the day.  Bi raucous indoor crowds creating a tremendous atmosphere.  If I had the chance to go to one of these I'd be there like a shot.

My question is, why did these competitions stop?  Can't imagine they lost their popularity.

For a long time I thought winning the Tenants 6’s was the only thing I would ever see Hearts winning...........

then JJ came along.  ?

scott herbertson

I used to back the tenants. Now I have lodgers so I’ve switched to the landlords

The bi crowds would be tolerated more in  these egalitarian days.....

Seriously, I have fond memories of this tournie. - drinking it, then watching it with a great sing song. Good combo

Edited by scott herbertson

Tennent’s were so impressed with Hearts support in 1985 they promised to bring the tournament back to Ingliston. The SECC was getting itself up and running and Glasgow decided they wanted it, so we’re still waiting on it coming back!

Having said that, I loved the tournament but the OF couldn’t be arsed with it and (lack of) money ruined it. Hearts got £7,000 for winning it in 1985. 

10 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Tennent’s were so impressed with Hearts support in 1985 they promised to bring the tournament back to Ingliston. The SECC was getting itself up and running and Glasgow decided they wanted it, so we’re still waiting on it coming back!

Having said that, I loved the tournament but the OF couldn’t be arsed with it and (lack of) money ruined it. Hearts got £7,000 for winning it in 1985. 

Thanks for that.  Seems a great shame. To the best of my knowledge it's gone in England too and it was also very popular there.

Wish a sponsor would back it and it could kick off again.  Clubs might be wary though due to all this health and safety tripe.

Doctor FinnBarr
11 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Very true mate

12 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Is the masters still on? 

Aye man, every April, that’s the one where the winner gets a big, green jacket.

17 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I used to back the tenants. Now I have lodgers so I’ve switched to the landlords

The bi crowds would be tolerated more in  these egalitarian days.....

Seriously, I have fond memories of this tournie. - drinking it, then watching it with a great sing song. Good combo

Is this the Tennant's sexes with Bi Crowds? Life getting too complicated for me.. what's a good combo.. another euphamism?

Worthing Jambo

What a great night that was.

Like a few others, I thought it would be the only thing I’d see Hearts win.

Tell that to the  younger generation and they won’t believe you.

I imagine that with the way that modern football is entirely shaped around money, it doesn't make financial sense for your players to risk getting injured at an indoor 6-aside tournament whilst you're competing in other competitions.

It's a shame, because it looked amazing.  I'm too young to remember it happening, and wasn't even alive for the majority of the tournament, but thanks to sites like YouTube, I'm well aware of what it was and it looked like a great setup and well attended.  

I'd love to see something else brought back in, even if it was a pre-season, or Under 21's only thing held over a few days or a week.  Nothing too strenuous, but still competitive.  Might even be the sort of thing that Eurosport or one of the smaller Sports channels would pick up and sponsor the cost of.  

Hectormasson

It was a good wee tournament ,exciting on TV, 'lots of goals & was delighted we won it , but when we put it in front of the team squad think it was 85/86 team photo ,eh ? Could have done without that ,,wee bit of an embarressment,??? but it was a long time  ago ???and in the 80s so I suppose it may have been ok,,,,,

I’m still gutted we lost the 1987 final 4-3 to Aberdeen. We fecking murdered them. Won the 1987 semi 8-1 against Dundee, a sixes scoring record which may still stand. 

3 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Glad I started this thread.  Thanks for posting.  Really enjoyed that.

Maybe the SFA wanted the tournament stopped because they were mortified that it could be successfully held outside Glasgow and a club other than the two they support could win it.

Used to love it as I had a friend who worked for Tennents and always got the corporate tickets....the days of free drink and food all day and night as well ;)

There were supporters buses running to Glasgow as well

The oldies will know us amateurs used to play 5 a side.  Exhausting.  I also played 7 a side rugby for a while and it was worse.  No substitutes.

One person I remember fondly was Tommy Preston of Hibs.  He orgsnised 5 a sides at the Pleasance and he was a gem of a man.

Read on here that he was a regular st the Wille Bauld dinner and  was highly regarded by everyone.

8 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Great memories of this. Remember tenants used the opening scene for their advert just after this .Hearts fans at the back of the goals.

Skippy Doodle

Got 3 more videos to upload tonight - the sixes tournaments in 1989 and 1990 and also Scottish masters in 2009

Great work, Skippy. Watching Scotland v N Ireland in the Cerebral Palsy football just now but will definitely watch these later. Still can’t get over the pasting we gave Aberdeen in 1987. We should have a star over our badge for each of our Tennent’s sixes titles!

Skippy Doodle
20 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Great work, Skippy. Watching Scotland v N Ireland in the Cerebral Palsy football just now but will definitely watch these later. Still can’t get over the pasting we gave Aberdeen in 1987. We should have a star over our badge for each of our Tennent’s sixes titles!

Cheers mate. Thought I’d just upload this whilst I try and tidy up the channel and get more VHS content uploaded

• 2 months later...

Only recall one Edinburgh derby at the T-sixes. Hearts 3-1 on the way to winning it in 1991. Might have been the semi final? 

Never made it to the tournament but used to sit up on school nights to get the highlights not having a clue about the scores or how we had done. The Aberdeen final sent my brother and myself into a pre sleep huff and truly gutted.

On 07/06/2019 at 08:24, Skippy Doodle said:

Got 3 more videos to upload tonight - the sixes tournaments in 1989 and 1990 and also Scottish masters in 2009

Who is Williams (2:44 last video)? I don't remember him at all.

Edited by Gorgiewave

Skippy Doodle
14 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Who is Williams (2:44 last video)? I don't remember him at all.

Gary Williams. Never played a competitive match for us

37 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Gary Williams. Never played a competitive match for us

Thanks. I'd never heard of him.