Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lauriesrank

Some strike, the fact that it was never a free kick isn't gonna be mentioned though, no?  Raging.

lauriesrank
2 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Norway :rofl:

There is literally high school football sides that would get bored knocking it round them.

Aemrican wimen have been beaten by u15 biys team as recently as two years ago

1 minute ago, lauriesrank said:

Aemrican wimen have been beaten by u15 biys team as recently as two years ago

Well in that case, that Norway side would get horsed. Awful.

I'm lucky enough to be able to watch the games on Fox Sports so don't have to listen to that arsehole Pearce, much better with Scotsman Derek Rae and some Yank bursd.

HeartofIron

Oh the seethe on here is tremendous!

English commentators wanting England to win??!! Surely not!! 

Did you actually listen to the Scottish commentators creaming themselves as they played quite well for a few minutes at the end of their first 2 matches......losing both? 

Did you see the Scottish women on Sky Sports News going mental as they went 3 0 up against Argentina?! (Which I actually loved, absolutely nothing wrong with showing support for your own country) 

Anyway, Mon the English. 

Fozzyonthefence
16 minutes ago, HeartofIron said:

Did you actually listen to the Scottish commentators creaming themselves as they played quite well for a few minutes at the end of their first 2 matches......losing both? 

Did you see the Scottish women on Sky Sports News going mental as they went 3 0 up against Argentina?! (Which I actually loved, absolutely nothing wrong with showing support for your own country) 

Anyway, Mon the English. 

How can they (especially men) get so excited about it though?  It’s women’s football and the standard is dreadful!  It is funny though, especially when you get goalkeepers taking great offence at any suggestions that the goals should be smaller than the men’s, then get lobbed on their line in the next game.?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

1 hour ago, HeartofIron said:

Anyway, Mon the English. 

I've never bothered with that either, in fact my favourite thing about watching the England mens team at world cups, Euros etc is how they get themselves so convinced that England have a hope in hell of winning it that when they get pumped out it's utter devastation written all over their faces.

As for this women's cup I feel like the commentators, pundits etc are trying to act like this is the same as a real world cup, literally nobody gives a ****, I've watched a couple of games purely because I'm being starved of real football.

17 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I've never bothered with that either, in fact my favourite thing about watching the England mens team at world cups, Euros etc is how they get themselves so convinced that England have a hope in hell of winning it that when they get pumped out it's utter devastation written all over their faces.

As for this women's cup I feel like the commentators, pundits etc are trying to act like this is the same as a real world cup, literally nobody gives a ****, I've watched a couple of games purely because I'm being starved of real football.

This is so true. In the England v Cameroon game the female commentator on 5live kept going on about one of the players being the new World Cup record appearance holder for England, taking over from Peter Shilton!

Great comparison. ??

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How can they (especially men) get so excited about it though?  It’s women’s football and the standard is dreadful!  It is funny though, especially when you get goalkeepers taking great offence at any suggestions that the goals should be smaller than the men’s, then get lobbed on their line in the next game.?

I'm watching it a bit like how i watch the Rugby World Cup. I'm into it for the duration of the game and then switch over and forget about it.

Some of the punditry has been decent, however. It would be interesting to see what Shelley Kerr would be like in the Sportscene studio.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You will see countless goals like this in mens football.

How you can say the standard is dreadful is beyond belief.

Nearly everyone on this thread is enjoying it for the correct reasons. 

Officiating is the only spoiler. (and England commentators)

you need to stop comparing it to Mens pro football.

The same when in the 80's we all enjoyed u16's World cup, your watching the best in their category.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

This is so true. In the England v Cameroon game the female commentator on 5live kept going on about one of the players being the new World Cup record appearance holder for England, taking over from Peter Shilton!

Great comparison. ??

The Guardian recently stated that Toni Duggan was the first English footballer to sign for Barca since Gary Lineker, which is a bit tenuous.

Women's football has probably shown in this World Cup that it can stand on its own two feet and can grow on its own terms. To invite comparison with the male game means that people will compare everything else, such as ability.

Governor Tarkin

The lack of simulation, play-acting, and a general willingness from players to stay on their feet and battle through challenges has been refreshing.

I'm really enjoying this tournament for what it is. The standard of football is neither here nor there.

We watch Scottish football ffs.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The lack of simulation, play-acting, and a general willingness from players to stay on their feet and battle through challenges has been refreshing.

I'm really enjoying this tournament for what it is. The standard of football is neither here nor there.

We watch Scottish football ffs.

This.

From Millie Bright's article on the BBC.

Yeah, she is a donkey, but sums it up perfectly to me.

"Women's football will always be different from men's football, but that doesn't mean you cannot still appreciate it. OK, so it might be a bit slower than the men's game, but then League Two football is slower than the Champions League, and it doesn't stop people turning out to see their local teams.

Forget that it's women's football, and just appreciate the talent on show, whether that's Nikita Parris nutmegging an opponent, Dutch winger Lieke Martens pulling off a textbook Cruyff turn against New Zealand or United States striker Alex Morgan ruthlessly scoring five goals against Thailand."

Women's football is where it is.

If you are watching the World Cup just now, it's the standard they are at.

There is a huge divide in quality, as they are only starting to get money in the game now, meaning players can be professional.  I think about half the players in the World Cup were amateur.  Think about that before slagging off the quality.

Some/lots of them are pish, yes.  But some are technically great.  

Maroon Sailor

Why is anybody comparing the standard to something of a higher standard ?

Nobody would expect Morris Minors to go round Silverstone at 180mph

Ron Burgundy

I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the match tonight.

Some of the play and technique is superb and then all of a sudden it's as if their brain has turned to mush and they do something inexplicable.

It's a great watch for the sheer unpredictability of it.

24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Why is anybody comparing the standard to something of a higher standard ?

Nobody would expect Morris Minors to go round Silverstone at 180mph

That's how you improve.

Comparing it to something it can never be, is different.  Men and women are physically different.

Both men and women could race at the same speed if they both had a Morris Minor.   Or let's say, a motorbike.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/30/ana-carrasco-world-championship-winner-female-motorbike-rider

?

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

That's how you improve.

Comparing it to something it can never be, is different.  Men and women are physically different.

Both men and women could race at the same speed if they both had a Morris Minor.   Or let's say, a motorbike.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/30/ana-carrasco-world-championship-winner-female-motorbike-rider

?

People don't compare women swimmers to male swimmers or compare female / male track athletes.

When it comes to football suddenly it's compared

Edited by Maroon Sailor

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

People don't compare women swimmers to male swimmers or compare female / male track athletes.

When it comes to football suddenly it's compared

I think it's mainly men that are doing that.

5 hours ago, HeartofIron said:

Anyway, Mon the English. 

They had someone English commentating on Scotland games :whistling:

Imagine the seethe in England if there was a Scot commentating on their games and making references to Scotland etc when they weren't involved in the game

HeartofIron
1 hour ago, kila said:

They had someone English commentating on Scotland games :whistling:

Imagine the seethe in England if there was a Scot commentating on their games and making references to Scotland etc when they weren't involved in the game

Here's some seethe.....

https://www-thescottishsun-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4349833/fifa-world-cup-womens-football-england-scotland-bbc-sparks-fury-bias-game-pundits-rebekah-vardy/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thescottishsun.co.uk%2Ftvandshowbiz%2F4349833%2Ffifa-world-cup-womens-football-england-scotland-bbc-sparks-fury-bias-game-pundits-rebekah-vardy%2F

English have had Scots commentating on their games for years! And is anyone bothered? 

Nope. 

John Findlay
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

By seaman?

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the match tonight.

Some of the play and technique is superb and then all of a sudden it's as if their brain has turned to mush and they do something inexplicable.

It's a great watch for the sheer unpredictability of it.

Isint that females in general?

Stephen Muddie
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Harsh but fair. 

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There speaks a man of experience.

However, it has to be said that in their own particular way, men have the same capacity for brain farts.

Maroon Sailor

Shame this isn't the final

Quarter finals is too early for this fixture

Fancy the frogs to VAR it

That American lassie has been watching the You Tube videos of a certain Sir Paul Hartley.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Time to see what Morgan can do.

Solo says she doesn't like the physical stuff so can see that big lump Renard trying to rough her up

Watched most of the games and slowly but surely it's sucked the life out of me, its progressively got worse as the tournament has gone on. The refereeing is lunacy, VAR has been verging on corrupt and now it's just very tired young women stoating about the pitch. The England game last night was shocking, never seen so many mistakes in crucial areas not capitalised on by both sides. 

This game so far looks slightly better but I expect it to deteriorate as is goes on.

This WC has actually put me off Woman's Football.

Edited by Artful Dodger

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say it's actually better entertainment than mens football at the elite level. Don't get me wrong, Scottish mens football will always be my first choice, but see watching the big teams play each other i find it boring. Watching them pass it from full back to full back then drop it into holding midfield only for it to go back to the keeper etc. Its over coached and over drilled. 

This womens WC is like the old videos of football ive seen, where the winger will try and beat the full back, there's alot of mistakes and the keepers are awful, it adds a bit of mystery and excitement to the game.

4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Watched most of the games and slowly but surely it's sucked the life out of me, its progressively got worse as the tournament has gone on. The refereeing is lunacy, VAR has been verging on corrupt and now it's just very tired young women stoating about the pitch. The England game last night was shocking, never seen so many mistakes in crucial areas not capitalised on by both sides. 

This game so far looks slightly better but I expect it to deteriorate as is goes on.

This WC has actually put me off Woman's Football.

Has it, aye ?

Last three European sides left in this tournament qualify for the Olympics? + team GB which is England with Cuthbert & Little?

Maroon Sailor

Diani would be a pretty decent 4 x 100m relay runner.

Nae ball to worry about

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Flubber. 

I'm sure I'd laugh if I had any idea what you're on about. Or if you had any idea.

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Injured from a header.  WTF?

You used to get that in the days when the ball had a lace. Sair yin.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Some of the first touches are awful and the passing not much better but plenty of that in Scottish men's football to be fair. 

This game has the look of a game north of the border with both teams giving it straight back to the opposition.