Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

One of the Scottish girls mentioned it too during the tournament. 

At the end of the day if they can start to generate the same crowds and interest etc you can’t have any truck with it but it’s not there yet is it. It’s just unreasonable demands because they think it’s some sort of discrimination when it’s just not. 

Aren’t some of the Scottish internationalists only amateur?  How can amateurs expect to get paid the same as professionals, or even paid at all?  Aren’t they only supposed to get expenses?

Anyone know what going rate is for representing your country for men or women?  Presumably for World Cups it increases as there is a bigger prize fund?  But obviously the men’s World Cup generates way more income / prize money so it’s only right they should get paid more.

This women’s argument of equal pay is a bit like the worst salesperson at your company demanding to be paid the same as the best one.  It’s **** all to do with equality and I wish they’d give it a rest. And if they’re looking to get neutrals on board to follow their game and take it seriously I can actually see people getting put off with their constant whinging. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

What an absolute arse that Rapinoe is. A proper annoying bint.

Maybe, but this piece does a great job of illustrating the landscape she's found herself thrust into, and her words here are frankly brilliantly presented.

Fifteen minutes on cable television that illustrated one of America's deepest political divides

She may not have thought about these issues sufficiently deeply, and therefore come across all wrong. She may be ignoring the very blatant fact that as a percentage of revenue, the women's national team is better compensated than the men's, in the States.

But damn, look at what's across the aisle from her.

13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

All chanting equal pay as well...

:cornette:

If clubs ie Hearts were forced to pay the women the same rate as men, the clubs would drop there teams like a hot potato 

I say this as a very proud father of a Hearts playing daughter, whose ambition is to be a professional football player.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

If clubs ie Hearts were forced to pay the women the same rate as men, the clubs would drop there teams like a hot potato 

I say this as a very proud father of a Hearts playing daughter, whose ambition is to be a professional football player.

I bet you are proud mate and I hope she makes it the absolute best of luck to her. 

Like you say though I hope we don’t get forced down a road where the equality nonsense forces us to pay salaries just not realistic to what money the womans team can generate. 

3 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Subsidised football already takes place in the mens game. It's arguable that it happens in our top flight. The sponsorship and TV deals are earned mainly because of the OF. Yet the cash is spread through the leagues. We've even argued ourselves that we should have an even bigger chunk of money to create a more level playing field. 

I don't think players at club level should earn the same but there's definitely an argument that the US women's team should get paid the same for their national appearances as their men. 

That's within a structure where those teams are competing against each other though. 

If the women's teams played in the same structure as the men's then yes, they should be subsidised to create a better product and improved sporting parity.

Phil Dunphy

Equal pay in football doesn't exist, because it can't. It isn't a gender equality issue, it's a simple fact of the game.

Don't most international footballers donate their appearance money to charity anyway?

16 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Each of us is entitled to our opinion, of course, and we disagree on that.

I watched the long interview with her on CNN and she came across as intelligent and articulate and not the least annoying. She's very outspoken on the 'equal pay' demand, which annoys many people but also has the support of many people. However, she is active in other areas of social justice, and more power to her.

She impressed me in that interview.

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I watched the long interview with her on CNN and she came across as intelligent and articulate and not the least annoying. She's very outspoken on the 'equal pay' demand, which annoys many people but also has the support of many people. However, she is active in other areas of social justice, and more power to her.

Different strokes and all that ML👍🏼

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Well, we would have to drop one of our teams...🤔

16 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve just seen numerous videos of her on twitter and stuff and she just comes across a proper annoying idiot to be quite honest. Really, really annoying :lol: 

This equal pay lark has just got to stop as well imo. I seen the American fans all singing it at their games too, cringey as feck. 

Women need to get a grip of themselves and face facts their sport is for the most part, shite. 

The women's game is more popular than the men in USA, at least internationally, so they probably do deserve equal pay

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The women's game is more popular than the men in USA, at least internationally, so they probably do deserve equal pay

But an American poster has already said it isn’t and they don’t🤷🏽‍♂️

The men’s USA side isn’t doing great atm, granted though. 

Im fairly sure that they’ll get their way though and the governing bodies will have to give in to their demands there’s just no stopping it anymore. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Different strokes and all that ML👍🏼

As my mother used to say, it would be a strange world if we were all the same.  :thumb:

On 09/07/2019 at 17:17, ToadKiller Dog said:

Agree with that 100%, they wouldn't. 

Physicality the women teams can't compete. 

Playing against  under 15 boys is a good challenge for women's teams. 

The USWNT would get relegated from the Scottish League 2, easily.

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I can see Rapinoe going in to politics

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I can see Rapinoe going in to politics

Based on what I've seen and read in the media, she's smarter than a lot of the dullards who are already in Congress.

Fozzyonthefence
10 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Isn’t all the equal pay chat in relation to international appearances?  It could never work in men’s club football,  let alone have the women’s club players getting paid the same as the men. Even men at the same club don’t get equal pay with their team mates, although I’m sure they’d all like to get paid the same as Messi or Ronaldo.

Fozzyonthefence
47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Based on what I've seen and read in the media, she's smarter than a lot of the dullards who are already in Congress.

I’d rather she just shut the **** up. But I think that about Trump too.  People like her mouthing off about equal pay all the time just make me even less likely to watch women’s football.  

Nookie Bear

The Women’s World Cup was good imo but it reminded me of the Olympics where everyone gets into it big time whilst it’s on and starts asking questions why Chris Hoy earns 100x less than Wayne Rooney, and isn’t it such a refreshing change from that horrible soccer game. 

Then, as soon as the Olympics finishes, everyone forgets about rowing, cycling and 10000m runners and gets back to watching Wayne Rooney (in their millions, every week). Olympic sports go back to being watched in their dozens. 

No idea what point I am making but it strikes me that the Ladies have a very short window of opportunity here before the men’s game starts a new season. By September we will struggle to name any women football player. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The Women’s World Cup was good imo but it reminded me of the Olympics where everyone gets into it big time whilst it’s on and starts asking questions why Chris Hoy earns 100x less than Wayne Rooney, and isn’t it such a refreshing change from that horrible soccer game. 

Then, as soon as the Olympics finishes, everyone forgets about rowing, cycling and 10000m runners and gets back to watching Wayne Rooney (in their millions, every week). Olympic sports go back to being watched in their dozens. 

No idea what point I am making but it strikes me that the Ladies have a very short window of opportunity here before the men’s game starts a new season. By September we will struggle to name any women football player. 

Ooooh, I think I'll remember Alex Morgan...... 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Ooooh, I think I'll remember Alex Morgan...... 

Ha, one or two will be memorable (some even for footballing reasons).