Fifa Women's World Cup

Maroon Sailor

Fozzyonthefence

Scotland are Argentina should both put in an official protest and be allowed to play out the remaining 6 or 7 minutes to give them both the chance to qualify they should have had.  Effectively the referee has abandoned the game way too early and I believe in women’s football they go back and restart at the same time and score they left off rather than replay the game which would seem fair in the circumstances.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Gershwin said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the keeper isn't allowed to stand behind the line and move forward either!

It's not a surprise, but FIFA have seriously ****ed it with these rules.

That is ridiculous.

VAR is becoming a farce.  

So they lost out to Japan due to them not using it and now have been knocked out due to it being used and actually not coming up with the correct decions.  These things should be left to referee judgement.  Think its just becominga farce. Also completely kills the euphoria and atmosphere after a goal when its questioned. 

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Just seen the Penalty decision on the news. That's pathetic, you should just award a goal, because other than missing the target, goalkeepers have no chance now.

Also the keeper gets a yellow card for the "crime" of moving.

Diadora Van Basten
26 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Also the keeper gets a yellow card for the "crime" of moving.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the first penalty shootout. If they continue to apply the same rules then keepers will be sent off.

My gut feeling is they will just ignore it.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Scotland are Argentina should both put in an official protest and be allowed to play out the remaining 6 or 7 minutes to give them both the chance to qualify they should have had.  Effectively the referee has abandoned the game way too early and I believe in women’s football they go back and restart at the same time and score they left off rather than replay the game which would seem fair in the circumstances.

Was thinking that this morning. The ref effectively abandoned the game early and it should be played out.

Obviously will never happen.

At least we know that Scotland bottling it at football tournaments isn’t gender specific :D

That was a ridiculous call on the penalty though.

doctor jambo

End of the day the rules were correctly applied re the penalty,

The issue was one of Scotlands bottle crashing, not the VAR.

The public outpouring is understandable and beautifully mirrors that support we had in the SC final when Celtic were incorrectly awarded a penalty to equalise and all the pundits were gnashing their teeth at our injustice, and calling out the diving.

:pimp2:

9 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The public outpouring is understandable and beautifully mirrors that support we had in the SC final when Celtic were incorrectly awarded a penalty to equalise and all the pundits were gnashing their teeth at our injustice, and calling out the diving.

No, the issue for me is the missing minutes at the end.

32 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, the issue for me is the missing minutes at the end.

There must have been at least 5 mins chalked off. Scotland might have got that extra goal required. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Was thinking that this morning. The ref effectively abandoned the game early and it should be played out.

Obviously will never happen.

Who was the Scottish ref who played about 10 minutes injury time back in the day? 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Don't agree with the first part of that sentence but do agree with the second

Edited by Taffin

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Even if you think the VAR save decision was clear-cut enough to warrant a re-take (it wasn't IMO), then the wider point is applying anything like the same strictness across the board - in which case Scotland would have had 2 penalties against Japan.

I don't think Scotland's bottle crashed, we just made individual errors in areas of the field where we're not as strong. And tactically, if anything we were over-confident - we should have accepted that we'd achieved the hard part, 3-0 was job done, should have put on fresh legs and got players behind the ball for the last 15. Hindsight? Maybe - but you could clearly see Argentina got fresh impetus from their subs. Of course it didn't help that there was a foul in the lead up to their first, and that the ref absurdly allowed play to start during a substitution in the lead up to the penalty.

Got to admire the women though. I didn't think it was possible to outdo the men - but they've managed to find an even more tragic way to crash out than any of their male predecessors. Respect. x

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Who was the Scottish ref who played about 10 minutes injury time back in the day? 

McGinley I think.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

It's a stupid system end of 

We are talking being penalised for minimum contact, balls hitting arms at close range and keepers getting done for moving millimetres and then getting booked.

In a penalty shoot out the keeper could get sent off !

2 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Same old excuses from Scotland. Just defend better. 

You are right, defend better and they'd have won 3-0. Booting the ball away got two players yellow cards, absolutely needless and lacking composure. Smith at right back the main reason Scotland got knocked out (that and Shelly Kerr's tactics to keep going when 3-0 up instead of setting up shop).

But football is a game of margins and Scotland have had some nonsense decisions this World Cup. Lack of a clear penalty v Japan, keeper off line last night etc. It's quite bizarre how bad the decisions have been for Scotland.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

There must have been at least 5 mins chalked off. Scotland might have got that extra goal required. 

We’d have been more likely to lose another one imo. Players looked shot. 

Doesnt take away from the farcical decisions that seem to have went against the team in this tournament. 

I still wonder how var wasn’t used in the Japan game but was used against Scotland in every other game. 

Strange. Almost makes you question the integrity of the games rulers tbh. 

Fareastjambo

The referee was appalling and if there was any justice she’d be up in front of the high heid yins to explain her decisions. It could only happen to Scotland. I do think Kerr should’ve made earlier substitutions. Some of the players were out on their feet and no 1 priority should have been fresh legs to defend the lead. That doesn’t detract from the referee though and proud that these girls actually got to the finals! 

58 minutes ago, Marvin said:

McGinley I think.

Cheers. I was thinking it was that useless yin, Les Mortram. Saying that, they're all useless.

alwaysthereinspirit
14 hours ago, Barack said:

North Korean? 

How was she allowed out the country to do her ref courses? :lol:

Unless she's got a note from Supreme Leader Kim.  "She refs. Or you die. Love, Kimmy xx"

Hard to believe a north Korean female ref would have enough experience to get to ref a world cup game. Beggars belief.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Hard to believe a north Korean female ref would have enough experience to get to ref a world cup game. Beggars belief.

It does as the Ethiopian ref against Japan. Won't see either after the group stages.

jambo-in-furness

A pefect example of le of why VAR will not make any difference to the abysmal refereeing in Scotland, the guys hiding behind a TV screen will choose which incidents need scrutiny and 99.999 out of 100 will favour the ugly sisters when they are playing any other Scottish team.

This system will help give our bent referees more power to their elbow.

Bobby Madden, Beaton and the rest must be chuffed to bits.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

It will be interesting to see what happens in the first penalty shootout. If they continue to apply the same rules then keepers will be sent off.

My gut feeling is they will just ignore it.

Are players going to be banned for stopping in their run up, as that is designed specifically to make the keeper move early

Bazzas right boot

Not sure why the booking is necessary on these incidents. 

Really perplexed by that one. 

42 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Her mannerisms were definitely on the authoritarian side.  2 fingered pointing throughout and accepted no dissent (very North Korean!) Makes you wonder whether having refs from dictatorships is appropriate.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

We’d have been more likely to lose another one imo. Players looked shot. 

Doesnt take away from the farcical decisions that seem to have went against the team in this tournament. 

I still wonder how var wasn’t used in the Japan game but was used against Scotland in every other game. 

Strange. Almost makes you question the integrity of the games rulers tbh. 

Just wait until the SPL start using VAR ?

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Aw man :facepalm: 

I think that will be the end of me watching Scottish football tbh.

You can only imagine how bent it’ll get. 

tokyowalnut
38 minutes ago, Marvin said:

A Celtic Rangers game will be in similar length to a 1 day cricket test. No body will want to make a decision in case someone is upset. 

avhudtheteeshirt

For the Argentinian penalty, the ref clearly crosses both arms in front of her saying no penalty, yet VAR look at it and give it?

No matter how many times I've watched it, you can't say if the Scots defender gets a touch or not, but what is clear is the Argentinian player screams out before she's even touched!!! 

14 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

For the Argentinian penalty, the ref clearly crosses both arms in front of her saying no penalty, yet VAR look at it and give it?

No matter how many times I've watched it, you can't say if the Scots defender gets a touch or not, but what is clear is the Argentinian player screams out before she's even touched!!! 

Watched it a few times and didn't think it was a pen. Harsh decision imho. 

2 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

A pefect example of le of why VAR will not make any difference to the abysmal refereeing in Scotland, the guys hiding behind a TV screen will choose which incidents need scrutiny and 99.999 out of 100 will favour the ugly sisters when they are playing any other Scottish team.

This system will help give our bent referees more power to their elbow.

Bobby Madden, Beaton and the rest must be chuffed to bits.

Exactly. Instead of just having the Celtic/Rangers man in black on the pitch to deal with, we’ll have his back-up in the VAR van ensuring that he doesn’t step out of line.

From watching the refereeing performances and use of VAR at Scotland’s games in this World Cup, you really wouldn’t have to be a conspiracy theorist to conclude that FIFA wanted Scotland nowhere near the last sixteen.

I thought we were hard done by last night but it is not a patch on what happened to Nigeria V  France and their penalty.

It is OK to take a staggered run up and hit the post and miss but if the goalie moves off their line a retake appeal to be the rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48699753

This link may be incorrect, sorry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48667034

This is it at 1' 30" in

IMHO all VAR is doing is making the game more corrupt than it is at the moment. For me it appears that FIFA have a list of the teams they want to progress in the tournament and referee games to suit their agenda.

To add to my rant why do the referees not have a look at the TV before the re-take?  

Edited by 7628mm

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, leginten said:

Exactly. Instead of just having the Celtic/Rangers man in black on the pitch to deal with, we’ll have his back-up in the VAR van ensuring that he doesn’t step out of line.

From watching the refereeing performances and use of VAR at Scotland’s games in this World Cup, you really wouldn’t have to be a conspiracy theorist to conclude that FIFA wanted Scotland nowhere near the last sixteen.

Your last sentence is spot on imho.

25 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

I thought we were hard done by last night but it is not a patch on what happened to Nigeria V  France and their penalty.

It is OK to take a staggered run up and hit the post and miss but if the goalie moves off their line a retake appeal to be the rules

This is it at 1' 30" in

IMHO all VAR is doing is making the game more corrupt than it is at the moment. For me it appears that FIFA have a list of the teams they want to progress in the tournament and referee games to suit their agenda.

To add to my rant why do the referees not have a look at the TV before the re-take?  

Be interested to hear our South American expert's take on that last question as he assured us that the referee always had the final say.

24 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

This is it at 1' 30" in

I agree - VAR gives FIFA 'god mode' essentially. And we already know how corrupt FIFA are.

Seen enough of VAR already to know how easily it can be used to influence results. Obviously it is important the hosts France get through.

I guess Scotland can't afford the same bribes as England? :whistling:

* Takes tinfoil hat off * 

The thing that still amazes me about watching Scotland at football is that every time we pull one of these ridiculous, gut wrenching endings out the bag, there is still a period of time in the match when they have me convinced that it will be different this time .

I feel we have been very harshly treated by VAR in this tournament but you simply can't lose a 3 goal lead with 16 minutes to go in a crucial world cup game. 

The only thing that should have surprised me is the fact that I was still surprised  ?.

I look forward to learning one day. 

10 minutes ago, Snorri1 said:

The thing that still amazes me about watching Scotland at football is that every time we pull one of these ridiculous, gut wrenching endings out the bag, there is still a period of time in the match when they have me convinced that it will be different this time .

I feel we have been very harshly treated by VAR in this tournament but you simply can't lose a 3 goal lead with 16 minutes to go in a crucial world cup game. 

The only thing that should have surprised me is the fact that I was still surprised  ?.

I look forward to learning one day. 

As soon as the 2nd went in, I told the wife to go to bed as she'll just be gutted at full time. She didn't listen. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

VAR is giving a set of moaning ***** exactly what they’ve been asking for over the years - a system where the exact letter of the law is applied.

Turns out it’s pretty shit and ruins the spirit of the game but hey, “the game’s worth billions and we can’t have any mistakes” blah blah blah.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Also, with regards to injury time, there’s no way scotland were scoring anyway. Their arse had gone

17 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Also, with regards to injury time, there’s no way scotland were scoring anyway. Their arse had gone

You missed out the "imo" from that post.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

You missed out the "imo" from that post.

It’s clearly my opinion

Hackney Hearts
32 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not sure about that. They tore straight into attack and things started getting feisty - I think the sense of injustice had injected new fuel into the legs. As they showed in qualifying they're a determined bunch, coming from behind to win several times. It was a crazy game, no-one knows what might have happened next - though lack of extra minutes also unfair on Argentina obviously. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not sure about that. They tore straight into attack and things started getting feisty - I think the sense of injustice had injected new fuel into the legs. As they showed in qualifying they're a determined bunch, coming from behind to win several times. It was a crazy game, no-one knows what might have happened next - though lack of extra minutes also unfair on Argentina obviously. 

I’ve heard a lot said about VAR and the referee, and rightly so. But nowhere near enough about the abject bottle job which ensued and the coach’s glaring tactical errors.

TyphoonJambo
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve heard a lot said about VAR and the referee, and rightly so. But nowhere near enough about the abject bottle job which ensued and the coach’s glaring tactical errors.

Agreed about the coach's errors. Every other top international team has a bloke coaching. Maybe we should do the same. 

Hackney Hearts
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But nowhere near enough about the abject bottle job which ensued and the coach’s glaring tactical errors.

Tactical errors certainly - but what does "bottle job" actually mean? Scotland defenders made errors which led to the goals (aided by the ref obviously), but I don't think their attitude or mentality was an issue.

Central Belt 1874
3 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Agreed about the coach's errors. Every other top international team has a bloke coaching. Maybe we should do the same. 

I'm not sure about that, but I think we can safely say she wont be getting touted for a manager's position in the SPL or Championship again anytime soon.

Also, I'm not sure what the standard of other Scottish womens goalkeepers is, but when you go to a world cup and your goalkeeper is unable to tip the ball over the bar then your in trouble. 

We looked really good in the three games, experience and luck were missing with VAR adding to the circumstances negatively.

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

France, USA Holland Germany all female coaches. So you are talking nonsense.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
20 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Not sure if that’s tongue in cheek. Gender isn’t the issue