Virgin Media

Whatever

From noisy boxes in the bedroom (ooh er) to losing channels to shite WiFi.

Can’t wait till the contract ends and I can sign up again with SKY.

If you’re thinking of joining Virgin, don’t.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Whatever said:

I've been with them for 3 years and never had any problems. Really fast Internet that's rarely down. Where are you? 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I've been with them for 3 years and never had any problems. Really fast Internet that's rarely down. Where are you? 

Midlothian.

ITV and Ch4 have just disappeared and from looking online it ain’t just me that’s affected. All over the UK there appears to be similar issues.

Currently a 35 minute wait to speak to an advisor as their online checker is reporting ‘no problems’.

Nothing but shite like this since the day I signed up.

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Midlothian.

ITV and Ch4 have just disappeared and from looking online it ain’t just me that’s affected. All over the UK there appears to be similar issues.

Currently a 35 minute wait to speak to an advisor as their online checker is reporting ‘no problems’.

Nothing but shite like this since the day I signed up.

That's shite. My channels are fine just now and like I said, I've had nothing but good experiences with them but I'm obviously just lucky where I am located I guess. 

Seymour M Hersh

I've been with Virgin since they took over Blueyonder and that dates back to 99 due to the building being plumbed in for cable and not allowing dishes. Had a couple of minor problems almost always due to them or other external issues but they've been fixed speedily. The broadband is excellent and the TV package works fine. Have been given upgraded boxes for free three times now and the engineers have always been first class with their service. That's 20 years of good service. 

fabienleclerq
30 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Pretty much my experience and I want to go back to sky too! 

Don't get me started on hands down the worst customer service since Scottish Power. 

55 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Excellent  broadband and and TiVo boxes. 

Bloody awful customer service if you ever need to speak to them. 

I agree with this. I’d say a lot of the people working in their customer service operation haven’t a clue what customer service is. 

I live in Newhaven and find the broadband a bit patchy. Haven’t had any problems with TV, but overall they seem pretty expensive and I’m looking to switch to something a bit cheaper. I really only use BT Sport and channels I could get on Freeview.

I'm with virgin and never had a issue really. My service was down for 2days due to engineering work or something but they compensated me for that.

been here before

Never really had any bother with Virgin. Bit pricey mind but there ye go.

As for missing STV. How the **** would you know? Does anyone actually watch STV, let alone miss it!?

jack D and coke

Virgin now cabling my street. Was thinking of moving to them very soon. 

Most people saying they’re good?

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

The broadband is rock solid, I pay for 100Mb and it is usually over that and never below. 

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

The broadband is rock solid, I pay for 100Mb and it is usually over that and never below. 

It’s the the only way to actually get fibre I believe. BT, Sky or whoever are only fibre to the box near your home then it’s copper cable to there and then it’s gets shared and bandwidth etc gets messed with during busy times but with virgin it’s right to your router. 

My contract with BT is up next month so looking to try virgin??

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Been with them for about 5/6 years and never had a major problem.

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

We used to be with virgin and had 200mb Internet. It was going down daily, usually between 7pm - 11pm.

We're now with Sky, 38mb fibre broadband and the downloads are just as fast, which logically doesn't make sense, but it's true. 

It's pretty clear that it varies from area to area, my part of Saughton Mains is apparently over-subscribed and the on-street box can't cope with it. 

I do prefer Virgin Tivo to Sky Q but the reliability was a huge issue. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

We used to be with virgin and had 200mb Internet. It was going down daily, usually between 7pm - 11pm.

We're now with Sky, 38mb fibre broadband and the downloads are just as fast, which logically doesn't make sense, but it's true. 

It's pretty clear that it varies from area to area, my part of Saughton Mains is apparently over-subscribed and the on-street box can't cope with it. 

I do prefer Virgin Tivo to Sky Q but the reliability was a huge issue. 

And yet I know people with Sky and it’s brutal at times. 

You don’t know what to do eh :lol: 

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I was VM for over 20 years and never had an issue with them.

Where I moved to a flat there was no VM and getting Sky installed the the whole stair had to upgraded.

Had to settle with BT. Broadband is fine but the tv package is poor and crap value for money.

Rant over.

Go for VM.

Stuart Lyon

I'm with VM and the speed of the broadband is excellent. Their customer service is terrible. On Wednesday I was trying to watch the Europa League game on my phone in the pub via the Virgin TV Go app when it suddenly cut-off and said I needed to upgrade my VM package. This isn't the first time I've had problems with the app. Also they are very expensive!

Holyrood_Hearts
13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I've been with Virgin since they took over Blueyonder and that dates back to 99 due to the building being plumbed in for cable and not allowing dishes. Had a couple of minor problems almost always due to them or other external issues but they've been fixed speedily. The broadband is excellent and the TV package works fine. Have been given upgraded boxes for free three times now and the engineers have always been first class with their service. That's 20 years of good service. 

Completely agree with all this. 

To be fair to VM, if it was their fault surely all the channels would’ve gone down instead of just STV & C4. 

been here before
25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is there anything on STV or Channel 4 worth watching? ?

Channel 4 has its moments. STV though  ?

43 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Completely agree with all this. 

To be fair to VM, if it was their fault surely all the channels would’ve gone down instead of just STV & C4. 

Both Channels were working on freeview in the kitchen and kids bedrooms.

I know because the Mrs chose to watch corrie in the kitchen ?

Edited by Whatever

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

Excellent  broadband and and TiVo boxes. 

Bloody awful customer service if you ever need to speak to them. 

A good summation for me too. My services are very rarely down or slow, but Jesus when you have to speak to them about your contract or some service it's worse than a root canal. 

My favourite was the time I moved my router across the living room, and went from needing a 10 meter cable to needing a 1 meter cable. I spent hours (seriously) on the phone to them - they actually couldn't send me a cable and told me id have to pay £100 for an an engineer to do it. Eventually found one in my cupboard from an old box and used that. Hilariously badly organised company. 

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, jambo1998 said:

With VM, never had a problem. 

I lost STV  at 9pm last night , bit unusual , never normally have problems, had to watch corrie in my bedroom on freeview.

Harry Potter
20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That is a good point. In fact the Sky chap I spoke to advised me to stay with Virgin for our broadband when we upgraded to Sky Q 2TB box earlier this year.

On my last check i was getting 151mbps internet with virgin, no one else gets thats close.

Was on Talk Talk connected through the phone socket in 2010, lucky to get 2mbps, might be better now.

And when the bad weather creeps in sky goes down with water on the dish probe , 

Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Never had dish problems, but ours is on a sheltered part of the house.

Best place Jonno, i liked sky but had to have insurance for any breakdowns .

18 hours ago, Whatever said:

I was with Virgin until BT made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So I called them to see if they could match or better BT's offer and Virgin refused even after I spoke with one of the managers. So with BT now and couldn't be happier.

My parents are with virgin and their internet is shit. My girlfriend used to have it too...also shit.

100s of mbps means nothing if the connection is always dropping out or you are having bandwidth issues.

AlphonseCapone
47 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I was with Virgin until BT made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So I called them to see if they could match or better BT's offer and Virgin refused even after I spoke with one of the managers. So with BT now and couldn't be happier.

thegodfather-998x662.jpg

Rick James

Was previously with Virgin and my only grumble was trying to get them to sort something could be like pulling teeth. The services themself were always on point.

Been living at my in laws for a couple of years now and they're with Sky. Been nothing but a hassle. Prices are sky (no pun intended) high, constantly rising, and no piece of advice or information with an advisor at the call centre is the same. No one talks to each other there.

I generally prioritise internet over TV, so have been with Virgin for the last few years since getting back from the States. 

Did cancel and restart in the GFs name, as we were out of contract and they offered no discounts. Paying £80 a month for everything, fastest internet and an extra Tivo box. Deal runs out in August, I'll either be cancelling and starting again in my name or going w/Sky - unsure about the broadband speeds though. 

On 31/05/2019 at 21:08, Whatever said:

I gave them a go after years with sky and also found them quite horrific. moved house 11 months into the contract and used it as an excuse to buy the contract out and move back to sky.

VM are fine when everything is working well but their Customer Service is dreadful. Wait hours to speak to someone who then runs through the script of all the things that you tell them you have already done but they insist you do it anyway knowing it will not make any difference.

I have now found that when there is a problem that the best way to get it resolved is not to phone them but post on their Forum and they have people checking it who will get back to offer help.

The issues we have had were not actually in the house or with the equipment but at the box out in the street which requires network engineers rather than the technicians who visit the homes.

Unknown user
58 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

VM are fine when everything is working well but their Customer Service is dreadful. Wait hours to speak to someone who then runs through the script of all the things that you tell them you have already done but they insist you do it anyway knowing it will not make any difference.

I have now found that when there is a problem that the best way to get it resolved is not to phone them but post on their Forum and they have people checking it who will get back to offer help.

The issues we have had were not actually in the house or with the equipment but at the box out in the street which requires network engineers rather than the technicians who visit the homes.

That seems to be the standard these days unfortunately

frankblack
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That seems to be the standard these days unfortunately

I'll agree with that.

We had an outage of the Broadband for 2 days and I called and all they did was report what the estimated fix time would be, yet this kept slipping and they didn't have any information as to why.

Dealing with the call centre is like banging your head off a brick wall.