Our squad needs drastically cut.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Vlad Magic
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Certainly not on the wind up! In my opinion we've got players who simply not got enough and our squad is far to big 

OK fair enough. You took time to list 40 players in your OP.

Please let us know who you would release and why?

If you name them there must be a reason why they should go. Otherwise your OP is worthless.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Don't think we should have players who aren't simply good enough 

So you want poorer players replaced with better ones. 

Nothing to do with overall numbers. 

I think we all want that. 

Great, thought provoking thread. 

Fans want better players, shocker. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

OK fair enough. You took time to list 40 players in your OP.

Please let us know who you would release and why?

If you name them there must be a reason why they should go. Otherwise your OP is worthless.

Already named players who in my opinion not good enough and not blindly either because I watch a lot of the hearts teams not only the first team 

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

So you want poorer players replaced with better ones. 

Nothing to do with overall numbers. 

I think we all want that. 

Great, thought provoking thread. 

Fans want better players, shocker. 

Look I'm not a negative poster at all and usually try to find the positive in anything hearts but I just think there's players on our books who are either not good enough or won't make it at hearts first team level 

5 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I think there's some harsh treatment of Godinho here.

He's had his injury problems but I think he's much better than Brandon and will prove it given the time.

I would definitely try giving him a good run in the team when fit.

Agreed. He’s also a full international. Not at a great level but still good experience.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Also.

There is absolutely no pressure on you whatsoever.

It's just my opinion from watching the players and I could be proved wrong 

37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You going with just one Keeper? . Bold move

You want Martin in side? 

Fair enough if you don't rate the others. So no signings then? 

33 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

How many times ? In my opinion we gave got far too many players and need to get players off the books 

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That wasn't answer to question I asked you 

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Don't ask me questions when you fail to answer questions yourself 

Don't see what question you asked me? 

Since you aren't answering the harder questions I'll answer some of them.

As above your list has around 25 first team players not 40. 

The other additional very promising players who may be close to first team are Aaron Hickey (obviously), Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton. Henderson and McDonald are rated by Hearts. Petkov was close to playing v Celtic. Zanatta is seen as possible. We are giving Moore, Baur and Currie a chance. Makovora is raw and being developed. But we are on the look out for better players. 

But you must have other names from the 15 year olds playing U18 games. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Look I'm not a negative poster at all and usually try to find the positive in anything hearts but I just think there's players on our books who are either not good enough or won't make it at hearts first team level 

Fair enough. 

After a 6th place finish, we clearly need to improve the quality. 

Release some, get some more in. 

The number of players overall are likely OK tho. Unless we are far higher numbers wise than others without any reason. 

Two squads of 18 required, so would indicate 40 players is about right.

Long winded way of saying we need Better players imo. 

Everyone agrees, including the gaffer. ?

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

I think fear comes into having a large squad

The manager fears letting a player go who will come back to haunt him. It's easier to just sign him for another season at a wage that will not be truly draining on the clubs resources

Decisions that can be avoided are what happens in real life as well

Of course there are also the injury crisis which managers fear hence keeping one or two on 'just in case'

We are not different from the vast majority of clubs

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Already named players who in my opinion not good enough and not blindly either because I watch a lot of the hearts teams not only the first team 

50 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

1. Colin doyle.

2. David vanecek.

3. Craig wighton.

4. Jamie Brandon.

5. Marcus godinho.

6. Rory Currie.

7. Dario zanatta.

8. Euan Henderson.

9. Lewis Moore.

10. Daniel baur.

All still have a chance. 

1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

I think fear comes into having a large squad

The manager fears letting a player go who will come back to haunt him. It's easier to just sign him for another season at a wage that will not be truly draining on the clubs resources

Decisions that can be avoided are what happens in real life as well

Of course there are also the injury crisis which managers fear hence keeping one or two on 'just in case'

We are not different from the vast majority of clubs

Playing in reserve league and U18 league is the reason.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

All still have a chance. 

We'll agree to disagree and see what happens 

jamtartan74

It is a large squad and yes probably a lot who won’t make it but I’m sure the people in charge will decide their fate not the kickback know it alls, we will bring in a few senior pros in the close season and I’m sure a few more will be released. It’s going to be a looooooooong summer I think. 

Edited by jamtartan74

WheatfieldWarrior
27 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Certainly not on the wind up! In my opinion we've got players who simply not got enough and our squad is far to big 

How many players would you have and what would the breakdown be?

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Playing in reserve league and U18 league is the reason.

Part of it but there are still a few kept on just in case or some who we may get a small fee out of hence we keep them on for one more year or so until the rules of transfers come into play where we would get nothing if they left

We have a few decisions to make such as Brandon or Godinho, Henderson or Currie (or Keena), Doyle or another keeper as number 2 from within, Bozanic, Edwards, Vanacek, Wighton are all under pressure as to whether we should retain them

There are not too many but there are a few who we could ask the question of  'would we miss them' ?

Of course we have incomings and possible departures to consider as well

Selkirkhmfc1874
12 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

How many players would you have and what would the breakdown be?

Good few less than we've got just now that's for sure 

Edited by Selkirkhmfc1874

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

This is who I’d start with. In my opinion none of these players are good enough to take us to the next level. 

Burns, Morrison & Godinho are all still relevantly young with time to improve. How about giving these guys a chance FS.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Almost entirely young players on very modest wages. Disaster of a thread!

Some of the names mentioned are guys who’ve played less than 10 league games yet are written off immediately. It’s embarrassing 

Leveins Battalion
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

All still have a chance. 

Godinho is the only one I'd keep out of all of them,Doyle is a truly woefull goalkeeper and Wighton wouldn't get in my 5 a side team.

There are too many average players and that’s why we are an average team. We have quantity over quality. Having too many average players means we immediately have a lower performance ceiling and it also blocks the advancement of our academy players who would also get an added benefit if they were playing with better quality players.

Id rather start with a first eleven of better quality bolstered by a next 5 of lesser, but still decent quality, then academy players.

Gives us the best eleven we can have and will give more chances to the academy players. Downside is if injuries strike, but if that happens, the academy guys get there chance or we try and get loan cover in January.

8 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Burns, Morrison & Godinho are all still relevantly young with time to improve. How about giving these guys a chance FS.

It’s called an opinion. However, I’m fairly certain that Hearts will be the biggest club they play for and in a couple of years or so they’ll be at a far lesser club. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

We had a much smaller squad in 2017/18 and look what happened - imagine we'd had the same number of injuries as this season then?

Several of those haven't actually played this season, have been on loan and one hasn't even signed yet. The squad in terms of numbers is actually fine.

Sorry but we used 43 players in that season. As last season only the goalkeepers were fit enough to start in every game.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

This is who I’d start with. In my opinion none of these players are good enough to take us to the next level. 

I’d keep Burns and Morrison 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

All these players are either first team players or been involved in the first team.

1. Bobby zlamal.

2. Colin doyle.

3. John souttar.

4. Christophe Berra.

5. Michael Smith.

6. Ben garruccio.

7. Clevid dikamona.

8. Aidy white.

9. Arnaud djoum.

10. Jake mulraney.

11. Olly Lee.

12. Oliver bozanic.

13. Bobby burns.

14. Peter haring.

15. Sean Clare.

16. Steven maclean.

17. Uche ikpeazu.

18. Steven Naismith.

19. David vanecek.

20. Craig wighton.

21. Jamie Brandon.

22. Harry Cochrane.

23. Aidan keena.

24. Anthony Macdonald.

25. Marcus godinho.

26. Maulary Martin.

27. Calumn Morrison.

28. Ryan Edwards.

29. Rory Currie.

30. Dario zanatta.

31. Euan Henderson.

32. Lewis Moore.

33. Alex peskov.

34. Andrew Irving.

35. Chris Hamilton.

36. Daniel baur.

37. Connor Smith.

38. Leeroy makovora.

39. Aaron hickey.

40. Craig halkett.

That's 40 players in that list and I'm sure I've probably missed some and that's even with sammon and Hughes already been released!! Need to get rid of an awful lot of dead wood because we're paying wages for no return at all with some players.

He wants another 4 at least, if we were going to get rid of any of those players they would’ve been released by now. Only Djoum is likely to leave it would seem. We used 43 players the season before last, 35 last season and only the goalkeepers were fit for dejection in every game both seasons. Injuries are the reason we need so many players. Whatever the reasons, bad luck/ training,/signing injury prone players, something surely needs to change?

For the record Hibs used 30&36, Aberdeen 32&33 players the last two seasons.

Edited by Pasquale for King

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

All these players are either first team players or been involved in the first team.

1. Bobby zlamal.

2. Colin doyle.

3. John souttar.

4. Christophe Berra.

5. Michael Smith.

6. Ben garruccio.

7. Clevid dikamona.

8. Aidy white.

9. Arnaud djoum.

10. Jake mulraney.

11. Olly Lee.

12. Oliver bozanic.

13. Bobby burns.

14. Peter haring.

15. Sean Clare.

16. Steven maclean.

17. Uche ikpeazu.

18. Steven Naismith.

19. David vanecek.

20. Craig wighton.

21. Jamie Brandon.

22. Harry Cochrane.

23. Aidan keena.

24. Anthony Macdonald.

25. Marcus godinho.

26. Maulary Martin.

27. Calumn Morrison.

28. Ryan Edwards.

29. Rory Currie.

30. Dario zanatta.

31. Euan Henderson.

32. Lewis Moore.

33. Alex peskov.

34. Andrew Irving.

35. Chris Hamilton.

36. Daniel baur.

37. Connor Smith.

38. Leeroy makovora.

39. Aaron hickey.

40. Craig halkett.

That's 40 players in that list and I'm sure I've probably missed some and that's even with sammon and Hughes already been released!! Need to get rid of an awful lot of dead wood because we're paying wages for no return at all with some players.

Has jkb introduced a prize for most drivel-filled post of the day or something? 

FarmerTweedy
43 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Some of the names mentioned are guys who’ve played less than 10 league games yet are written off immediately. It’s embarrassing

Moronic more like. It's amazing how some people can watch a lot of football, and often for many, many years, and still be basically clueless.

Funtime Jambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The odd time. So we could play this team from your list? 

Seriously? 

1. Doyle

2. Hamilton

3. White

4. Petkov

5. Baur

6. Burns

7. Irving

8. Martin

9. Henderson

10. Makovora

11. Currie

Is the team for Dundee United? 

Thats a decent team to be fair Mikey :thumbsup: 

FarmerTweedy
55 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

There are too many average players and that’s why we are an average team. We have quantity over quality. Having too many average players means we immediately have a lower performance ceiling and it also blocks the advancement of our academy players who would also get an added benefit if they were playing with better quality players.

Id rather start with a first eleven of better quality bolstered by a next 5 of lesser, but still decent quality, then academy players.

Gives us the best eleven we can have and will give more chances to the academy players. Downside is if injuries strike, but if that happens, the academy guys get there chance or we try and get loan cover in January.

You'd really only have 16 non-academy players?  That's your first choice eleven and then you've basically got one backup keeper, one defender, one midfielder, one striker, plus one extra of your choice, and then it's academy youths.  I'll be honest, I'd find it hard to agree with that at the best of times, but after the injury problems we suffered in the season just finished, I find it impossible to even begin to get my head around the idea of going with such a tiny squad. There were times in the past season where we'd probably have had to field kids of about 15.

4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You'd really only have 16 non-academy players?  That's your first choice eleven and then you've basically got one backup keeper, one defender, one midfielder, one striker, plus one extra of your choice, and then it's academy youths.  I'll be honest, I'd find it hard to agree with that at the best of times, but after the injury problems we suffered in the season just finished, I find it impossible to even begin to get my head around the idea of going with such a tiny squad. There were times in the past season where we'd probably have had to field kids of about 15.

It’s the only way I ever see us having the quality to properly challenge. I’m including Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison etc as part of the non-16 as they’ll be on low wages.

So we've got a "Peebles" for when someone starts a thread that is old news.

Can we have a "Selkirk" for when someone starts a daft, ill thought out thread?

FarmerTweedy
9 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

It’s the only way I ever see us having the quality to properly challenge. I’m including Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison etc as part of the non-16 as they’ll be on low wages.

I understand the point that a smaller squad size means you can pay each player a bit more and therefore, in theory at least, hire better quality ones, but 16 is waaaay too small a squad. Cochrane hardly played because of his own injury problems, McDonald was sent out on loan because he wasn't felt to be ready for our first team yet (despite being thrown in several times the previous season), and Morrison has just had his first season of significant first team involvement at Hearts, and not really done particularly well (although I'm not writing him off yet). With only a squad of 16 ahead of these guys, we'd need a near miracle to avoid having to field a few of them in the team in most games. It would almost certainly be disastrous.