5 Year plan - regressed.

UcheGang

Now that the season is officially over and we're now at the end of the five year plan, it's open season on the club as far as I'm concerned.  As gutted as I am at losing at the weekend I am not prepared to get emotional and irrational.  Now is the time to put the club under the microscope and ask just what the **** is exactly going on.  A few points to update first and foremost.

Playing record and performances

Adding in the fixtures played (and inevitably lost) since the initial post, our league record against the other sides in the top six since we cam back up now reads as

Aberdeen - Played 16, won 5, drew 3, lost 8

Celtic - Played 16, won 2, drew 2, lost 12

Rangers - Played 12, won 2, drew 1, lost 9

Hibs - Played 8, won 2, drew 3, lost 3

Kilmarnock - Played 14, won 5, drew 4, lost 5

Total - Played 66, won 16, drew 13, lost 37

It's a 56% loss record against our five nearest rivals.  Every single team has a better head to head record against us with the exception of Kilmarnock who we are level with, however they have a budget a fraction the size of ours.  It is absolutely pathetic.

The derby record

Since stealing a draw at Easter Road last month, the derby record now reads played 17, won 4, drew 7 and lost 6 during the Budge/Levein era.  Four derbies won in 17 games.  Just four in five years.  A win percentage of 23% in that time.  It is totally unacceptable.

We've finished below Hibs two seasons in a row for the first time in 25 years.  Hibs had their best run against us since the 70s.  They finally beat us at Tynecastle for the first time in five or six years.  Hibs have had more season of European football than us these last five years.  All of these record breaking feats have happened under the stewardship of Levein and Budge.  It's a rivalry, we have to strive to be better than them in every single thing that we do and the owner doesn't give a **** about it one jot.

League position

We finished third when we first came back up.  Then we finished fifth under Cathro and then Levein has lead us to two successive sixth place finishes.  How can nobody at the club see a quite obvious dramatic decline?  How can anyone at the club deem it acceptable to not improve on or maintain a decent league position?  Any other club in the country the management would be emptied for similar performances.  Why does the owner think this is acceptable?  Levein has yet to finish higher in the league than the much derided Cathro yet Budge is given him a free reign to do whatever the **** he wants.  To have Hibs finish above us twice in a row is a digrace but then teams Like Kilmarnock who are a club a fraction of the size of us is a disgrace.

Budge's contempt

I'm getting really hacked off with her quite obvious contempt of the fans and thinking we zip up the back.  There was the article someone linked at the weekend - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48389296 - and it's quite staggering how little she thinks of the fans.  Her telling people that Levein isn't bombproof when the evidence suggests otherwise is staggering.  Her comments about fans never accepting Levein even if he won us a treble of our own show she's just not living in the real world.  It's almost a "you don't know what you're talking about, give me the cash and I'll do as I please".  She talks about how she's received some small level of abuse from fans in the stand during games.  She's going to be in for a shock next season in that case.  It's going to get a whole lot worse.   If next season is anything like this season - and the evidence suggests it will be, if not worse - the abuse from the stands will magnify big time.  There has been absolutely no update on season ticket sales, they're clearly nowhere near previous levels.  She's refusing to see the obvious.

This is the same Ann Budge who allowed the war memorial to be trivialised and milked for all its worth.  It was pointed out to me yesterday (and I'd forgotten all about this to be honest) that when Cathro was binned, Budge ****ed off on holiday!  Instead of hanging around to help appoint a manager, she disappeared and then opted to appoint the man who was along the corridor.  It's staggering the way she views the fans as customers.  Lecturing fans at every junction, moaning like **** because fans misbehaved and holding us responsible because she is choosing to install a CCTV system for six figures.  But to then accuse the fans of costing the club money, when she has signed off and sanctioned the signing of so many duds under her tenure is embarrassing.  We must have wasted literally millions in terms of wages and transfer fees on some of the donkeys we've had and yet she points the finger at the fans?  The same fans who have constantly and persistently been asked to dig deep and put their hands in their pockets to fund and bail out he club.  The same fans milked for every penny with countless tribute tops and the God awful cash cow embarrassment.  Don't accuse the fans of costing the club money when you've spunked so much of it on utter rubbish.  To guilt trip the fans because yet again, she is choosing to buy some CCTV worth over 100k is embarrassing.  Don't go and recruit a manager for the women's team from one of the biggest clubs in the world and yet when it comes to the men's team - the one everyone actually pays to see and brings us in money - just knock on Levein's door down the corridor.

Recruitment 

Everyone knows its been a shambles but I'm already concerned to hear both Levein and Budge state there won't be many changes during the summer and we won't be bringing in too many players.  We've got a tonne of dead wood that need emptied and we're at least a forward, a creative midfield, one possibly two wingers, a centre back and a keeper away from being a decent side.  We might have some youngsters coming through and maybe Levein's plan is to chuck them all in next season but I've zero confidence in him managing them properly.

Summary

The club is sleeping walking its way into further disaster.  There an similarities between when Cathro should have been emptied after his first season but was allowed the entire summer and leage cup matches to turn it around and he ****ed that up, so we ruined that entire pre-season.  If Levein isn't bombproof like Budge suggests, at what point does she pull the trigger and bin him?  How bad does it have to get for her to say enough is enough?  Are we letting Levein plan for the summer and **** up pre-season only to sack him in September?  How many times are we going to roll the dice and risk season after season, another season written off before it gets going.  We're at risk of history repeating itself.

We're entering the sixth year under Budge and Levein.  They have failed to deliver on almost every single promise they made.  We've blown and are continuing to blow the opportunity handed to us all because Levein and Budge are too stubborn to do anything about it.  It's going to be a long and grim summer ahead, starting with the tragic league cup group stages.  Can't wait.

Seen this wonderfully summed up on the supporters page on FB and it's hard to disagree with anything.

truly harrowing when put in black and white.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• JamboAl

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To provide some balance, I think at the end of the 5 year plan they wanted Hearts to be up challenging for trophies again. Disappointing in the league obviously the last 3 years for different reasons but you can't deny we did that.

We also vastly overachieved ahead of schedule in 2014/15 and 2015/16 (and even the first half for 2016/17), and built a stand and installed a new pitch, which weren't even in the plan.

So I give it pass marks on the whole, but must do better in the league.

Edited by Guest

You've gone to a lot of trouble to tell us what we already knew.

Onwards and upwards.

Looking forward to next season. What's done is done.

Plenty effort from the OP to go over things that have never been said before. Kudos for that.

We’ve defo gone backwards since the day we went into administration.

OP has a point.

Edited by Jammy T

skinnybob72

Our record post split is laughable - it’s a record that suggests to me that we’re happy to just to make up the numbers. 

1 point from 15 last season, not much better the year before. 

JamboGraham
10 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

Now that the season is officially over and we're now at the end of the five year plan, it's open season on the club as far as I'm concerned.  

Hi...just so that we are all comparing the same thing could you quickly post up a link to the published 5 year plan?

Thanks in advance UcheGang.

So can anyone disagree with the points made and think it's acceptable for a club our stature to be in the situation?

Just now, UcheGang said:

So can anyone disagree with the points made and think it's acceptable for a club our stature to be in the situation?

Yip :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Our record post split is laughable - it’s a record that suggests to me that we’re happy to just to make up the numbers. 

1 point from 15 last season, not much better the year before. 

This years past 5 have to be written off (to a degree) the focus was on making sure we had a shot in the final with the injuries etc plaguing the team. Not something we can really rip into the club for. It nearly worked. Not good enough normally but in the circumstances this year it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

Indeed they can ??

The record against Hibs and Sevco In particular is absolutely woeful.

there has to be a marked improvement next season without doubt and despite me being very vocal in wanting Levein and his coaches out I’m prepared to accept it’s not happening so will be getting behind them and hoping they get it right. I want to be entertained more than anything.

i don’t have any problem with Ann Budge whatsoever to be honest and am nothing short of thankful for everything she’s done and does.

We have a very small element in our support which needs reigned in. As does Hibs and Dempster is doing much the same.

Ann Budge has worked miracles in the turnaround. I’ve no doubt next season she will be expecting better league form

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

The record against Hibs and Sevco In particular is absolutely woeful.

there has to be a marked improvement next season without doubt and despite me being very vocal in wanting Levein and his coaches out I’m prepared to accept it’s not happening so will be getting behind them and hoping they get it right. I want to be entertained more than anything.

i don’t have any problem with Ann Budge whatsoever to be honest and am nothing short of thankful for everything she’s done and does.

We have a very small element in our support which needs reigned in. As does Hibs and Dempster is doing much the same.

Ann Budge has worked miracles in the turnaround. I’ve no doubt next season she will be expecting better league form

Still saying watch this space on that. 

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm not reading all that, can anyone confirm it was a rant against the club/owner/manager please.

Thanks.

Not worth it mate. Only new content of note was the word "harrowing" 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I'm not reading all that, can anyone confirm it was a rant against the club/owner/manager please.

Thanks.

Yes , then summarised on a fb page and its harrowing in black and white.

Grim summer ahead , ruin kids under Levein , we need keeper , centre back , one or two wide players , creative midfielder and striker away from being even decent.

Budge will be in for a shock at the abuse she gets next season. She ****ed off on hols when Cathro who finished 5th was sacked. Even though he really couldn’t of done worse than 5th considering where he took the team over. Unacceptable finishing below hibs twice , Hibs have done x y and z and its happened under Budge and Levein so....

Covers most of the less tedious shite. FB honest to **** a fan page on FB. Same places there is kids screaming at folk online cause they don’t want Lafferty back. 

Sometimes plans don’t go to plan. This time next year Rodney.....

Edited by Pagey
Change

JamboGraham
26 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

"I am not prepared to get emotional and irrational". 

"just what the **** is exactly going on"

"It is absolutely pathetic"

"It is totally unacceptable"

"owner doesn't give a **** about it"

"free reign to do whatever the **** he wants"

"hacked off with her quite obvious contempt of the fans"

"she's just not living in the real world"

"fans milked for every penny with countless tribute tops"

"God awful cash cow embarrassment"

"We've got a tonne of dead wood"

"sleep walking its way into further disaster"

"We're at risk of history repeating itself"

"truly harrowing when put in black and white"

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yes , then summarised on a fb page and its harrowing in black and white.

Grim summer ahead , ruin kids under Levein , we need keeper , centre back , one or two wide players , creative midfielder and striker away from being even decent.

Budge will be in for a shock at the abuse she gets next season. She ****ed off on hols when Cathro who finished 5th was sacked. Even though he really couldn’t of done worse than 5th considering where he took the team over. Unacceptable finishing below hibs twice , Hibs have done x y and z and its happened under Budge and Levein so....

Covers most of the less tedious shite. FB honest to **** a fan page on FB. Same places there is kids screaming at folk online cause they don’t want Lafferty back. 

So even after signing 17 players last summer and despite large recruitment numbers year in year out we are still half a team away from a good team. Embarrassing.

Levein disagreed with Cathro signings yet gave them 3 year deals anyway. E.g Martin.

Just now, UcheGang said:

Enlighten me.

No point. If you lifted that from FB it says it all. Some of it fair enough , most of it just angry and bitter with a side of attention seeking. 

Would say this what the **** did you expect considering we had Zero footballing department , zero infrastructure , no scouting team , yet we have rebuilt all these in 5years to a good standard , built a new stand and laid a new pitch. We are trying to tackle the pathetic element of our support and at the same time we just made our first cup final since admin. Under Robbie the football wasn’t great but we were sitting ok in second though in real terms 4th. Cathro got us to 5th from there , Levein cleared out most of his squad and got us through in a disappointing 6th. This season we started well got blown up with injuries and playing players who weren’t ready. Two coaches should be on the chopping board for a lot of this season. Things are not good enough on the pitch and we should be there or thereabouts with Aberdeen as should Hibs. Killie overachieving. Rangers and Celtic miles ahead. I have no doubt the potential is there to do a lot better next season. Will we? Time will tell but there is no excuse and hopefully the changes some of us have heard about will transpire and that will help. 

You go on your wee rant though covering everything that people have already done to death ?

3 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

So even after signing 17 players last summer and despite large recruitment numbers year in year out we are still half a team away from a good team. Embarrassing.

Levein disagreed with Cathro signings yet gave them 3 year deals anyway. E.g Martin.

You sir are clueless!!! 

8 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Not worth it mate. Only new content of note was the word "harrowing" 

Harrowing eh?

Thank God I gave it a swerve.

jamboinglasgow

The only ones who ever talk about 5 year plan since Levein mentioned it once in his first press conference is people who want to have a go at Levein or Budge. Its one of the most boring lines used on this forum.

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, UcheGang said:

Truth hurts?

If you manage to stumble on it do let us know...and don't forget to do it without getting emotional or irrational...

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Harrowing eh?

Thank God I gave it a swerve.

??

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Hopefully the OP has emailed this to the club. We are doomed unless they see it.

?

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

The only ones who ever talk about 5 year plan since Levein mentioned it once in his first press conference is people who want to have a go at Levein or Budge. Its one of the most boring lines used on this forum.

Truth hurts as one just said. So true , pretty sure any successful business has 5yr 10yr 20yr plans and shock horror they change at times.....However as you say only people who mention it are ones trying to have a pop at the team they support , the owner that stepped in and has helped to rebuild an infrastructure in and self sufficient club like none of us have ever seen and the DoF who has guided the rebuilding of an entire football department from ashes to something that is starting to produce prospects , and who has just run the champions close in our first cup final since admin. 

All could of been summed up as.

We’ve done brilliantly off field , on field its been great or awful it needs sorted as its draining us all but Saturday was a day that so nearly made it all worth while. Being a Hearts fan has always been a case of its the hope that kills you....

Ignore button is my friend again tonight for the OP though ??

12 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

The quote box will be empty, because I'm quoting you quoting a quote, but:

:rofl:

:rofl:

Genuinely made me laugh that you took the time to pull all his emotional statements out :lol:

Didn't realise just  how mediocre we will settle for now as a fanbase.

there is literally no proof in the current set-up that backs any hope for finishing any higher than the last 2 seasons. 

Yet another massive summer of recruitment needed. All so repetitive.

Off-field we are in a great position no doubt about it. Credit to Budge for that...let's forget about the stand debacle and the countless promises thwt were made and not backed up.

but the footballing side leaves alot to be desired and guess what our main selling point is as a business... football.

Worrying times with that dinosaur in charge of the whole project.

3 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

“We must put in place a 3-5-year plan that will see our commercial activities totally re-vamped, such that they once again provide a solid financial under-pinning to our football club”

Pretty sure that has been achieved. None of the rest of it is specified as a 5 year plan

JamboGraham
8 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

Off-field we are in a great position no doubt about it. Credit to Budge for that...let's forget about the stand debacle and the countless promises thwt were made and not backed up.

but the footballing side leaves alot to be desired and guess what our main selling point is as a business... football.

Worrying times with that dinosaur in charge of the whole project.

What are the countless promises that were made and not backed up?

WheatfieldWarrior
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

“We must put in place a 3-5-year plan that will see our commercial activities totally re-vamped, such that they once again provide a solid financial under-pinning to our football club”

Pretty sure that has been achieved. None of the rest of it is specified as a 5 year plan

Could argue that the conversion to a youth-driven playing policy is also covered in the plan. 

Craig Levein will join the club with immediate effect and will assume total responsibility for everything to do with the playing side of the business. He will be responsible for putting in place an end-to-end strategy for how we are going to implement a youth-driven playing policy within the club.

24 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Hopefully the OP has emailed this to the club. We are doomed unless they see it.

He should maybe organise a protest meeting in the new Sky Lounge about how everything at the club has regressed.

1 minute ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Could argue that the conversion to a youth-driven playing policy is also covered in the plan. 

Craig Levein will join the club with immediate effect and will assume total responsibility for everything to do with the playing side of the business. He will be responsible for putting in place an end-to-end strategy for how we are going to implement a youth-driven playing policy within the club.

Yeah thats maybe fair but it is also in reality not really a 3-5 year thing its a longer process but after 5 years you are looking at 

Cochrane , McDonald , Morrison , Smith , Hickey all being in and around the first team. For a short period of youth rebuilding thats not bad tbh. Hopefully we will see more and having people like Berra and Naismith around can only help with their professionalism and desire to make that step up.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, UcheGang said:

Now that the season is officially over and we're now at the end of the five year plan, it's open season on the club as far as I'm concerned.  As gutted as I am at losing at the weekend I am not prepared to get emotional and irrational.  Now is the time to put the club under the microscope and ask just what the **** is exactly going on.  A few points to update first and foremost.

Playing record and performances

Adding in the fixtures played (and inevitably lost) since the initial post, our league record against the other sides in the top six since we cam back up now reads as

Aberdeen - Played 16, won 5, drew 3, lost 8

Celtic - Played 16, won 2, drew 2, lost 12

Rangers - Played 12, won 2, drew 1, lost 9

Hibs - Played 8, won 2, drew 3, lost 3

Kilmarnock - Played 14, won 5, drew 4, lost 5

Total - Played 66, won 16, drew 13, lost 37

It's a 56% loss record against our five nearest rivals.  Every single team has a better head to head record against us with the exception of Kilmarnock who we are level with, however they have a budget a fraction the size of ours.  It is absolutely pathetic.

The derby record

Since stealing a draw at Easter Road last month, the derby record now reads played 17, won 4, drew 7 and lost 6 during the Budge/Levein era.  Four derbies won in 17 games.  Just four in five years.  A win percentage of 23% in that time.  It is totally unacceptable.

We've finished below Hibs two seasons in a row for the first time in 25 years.  Hibs had their best run against us since the 70s.  They finally beat us at Tynecastle for the first time in five or six years.  Hibs have had more season of European football than us these last five years.  All of these record breaking feats have happened under the stewardship of Levein and Budge.  It's a rivalry, we have to strive to be better than them in every single thing that we do and the owner doesn't give a **** about it one jot.

League position

We finished third when we first came back up.  Then we finished fifth under Cathro and then Levein has lead us to two successive sixth place finishes.  How can nobody at the club see a quite obvious dramatic decline?  How can anyone at the club deem it acceptable to not improve on or maintain a decent league position?  Any other club in the country the management would be emptied for similar performances.  Why does the owner think this is acceptable?  Levein has yet to finish higher in the league than the much derided Cathro yet Budge is given him a free reign to do whatever the **** he wants.  To have Hibs finish above us twice in a row is a digrace but then teams Like Kilmarnock who are a club a fraction of the size of us is a disgrace.

Budge's contempt

I'm getting really hacked off with her quite obvious contempt of the fans and thinking we zip up the back.  There was the article someone linked at the weekend - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48389296 - and it's quite staggering how little she thinks of the fans.  Her telling people that Levein isn't bombproof when the evidence suggests otherwise is staggering.  Her comments about fans never accepting Levein even if he won us a treble of our own show she's just not living in the real world.  It's almost a "you don't know what you're talking about, give me the cash and I'll do as I please".  She talks about how she's received some small level of abuse from fans in the stand during games.  She's going to be in for a shock next season in that case.  It's going to get a whole lot worse.   If next season is anything like this season - and the evidence suggests it will be, if not worse - the abuse from the stands will magnify big time.  There has been absolutely no update on season ticket sales, they're clearly nowhere near previous levels.  She's refusing to see the obvious.

This is the same Ann Budge who allowed the war memorial to be trivialised and milked for all its worth.  It was pointed out to me yesterday (and I'd forgotten all about this to be honest) that when Cathro was binned, Budge ****ed off on holiday!  Instead of hanging around to help appoint a manager, she disappeared and then opted to appoint the man who was along the corridor.  It's staggering the way she views the fans as customers.  Lecturing fans at every junction, moaning like **** because fans misbehaved and holding us responsible because she is choosing to install a CCTV system for six figures.  But to then accuse the fans of costing the club money, when she has signed off and sanctioned the signing of so many duds under her tenure is embarrassing.  We must have wasted literally millions in terms of wages and transfer fees on some of the donkeys we've had and yet she points the finger at the fans?  The same fans who have constantly and persistently been asked to dig deep and put their hands in their pockets to fund and bail out he club.  The same fans milked for every penny with countless tribute tops and the God awful cash cow embarrassment.  Don't accuse the fans of costing the club money when you've spunked so much of it on utter rubbish.  To guilt trip the fans because yet again, she is choosing to buy some CCTV worth over 100k is embarrassing.  Don't go and recruit a manager for the women's team from one of the biggest clubs in the world and yet when it comes to the men's team - the one everyone actually pays to see and brings us in money - just knock on Levein's door down the corridor.

Recruitment 

Everyone knows its been a shambles but I'm already concerned to hear both Levein and Budge state there won't be many changes during the summer and we won't be bringing in too many players.  We've got a tonne of dead wood that need emptied and we're at least a forward, a creative midfield, one possibly two wingers, a centre back and a keeper away from being a decent side.  We might have some youngsters coming through and maybe Levein's plan is to chuck them all in next season but I've zero confidence in him managing them properly.

Summary

The club is sleeping walking its way into further disaster.  There an similarities between when Cathro should have been emptied after his first season but was allowed the entire summer and leage cup matches to turn it around and he ****ed that up, so we ruined that entire pre-season.  If Levein isn't bombproof like Budge suggests, at what point does she pull the trigger and bin him?  How bad does it have to get for her to say enough is enough?  Are we letting Levein plan for the summer and **** up pre-season only to sack him in September?  How many times are we going to roll the dice and risk season after season, another season written off before it gets going.  We're at risk of history repeating itself.

We're entering the sixth year under Budge and Levein.  They have failed to deliver on almost every single promise they made.  We've blown and are continuing to blow the opportunity handed to us all because Levein and Budge are too stubborn to do anything about it.  It's going to be a long and grim summer ahead, starting with the tragic league cup group stages.  Can't wait.

Seen this wonderfully summed up on the supporters page on FB and it's hard to disagree with anything.

truly harrowing when put in black and white.

You've spent a considerable amount of time and effort to say absolutely nothing that hasn't been said hundreds of times on dozens of threads. You should maybe have included a financial comparison of the teams in the top six, I believe it would have been quite revealing. I also believe the recruitment will surprise a number of posters next season. We do seem to have an awful abundance of posters that don't appreciate that the ability of a football player is transient and that we have recruitment a number of players who we intend to improve over the coming seasons. The improvement evidenced in Mulraney over one season can be repeated in Clare, Burns, Halkett, Uche, Wighton, Hickey, Cochrane with one key ingredient ... patience.