Liverpool to play at Murrayfield July 28th ?

CJGJ

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Moved to Hampden Dave? 11pm ko? Once Queens Park Development team have played Pumpherston Academical Under 18s?

If they have to and authorised it I’m not happy. Thin end of the wedge imo. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luckydug

• CJGJ

• Nookie Bear

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If they have to and authorised it I’m not happy. Thin end of the wedge imo. 

Would imagine it is under their jurisdiction. Collum or Beaton to cause havoc

On 31/05/2019 at 23:57, John Findlay said:

I saw Hearts win there 2-4 roughly 41 years ago. We went a goal down in the first minute.

Me too. Remember who I was with, what train we got and what was in the carry oot. Can't remember what I did yesterday though.

Hearts at East Fife and Hibs at Elgin that weekend. At least real fans won’t have conflicted thoughts about which game to attend. There’s no a game remotely close to Hearts v Dundee Utd in the Betfred Group stages and I thought that was going to be a sure thing to close ours but clearly an £PL friendly takes precedent. We know our place. 

On 01/06/2019 at 01:14, Coburg Hearts said:

I was at that game with my son and daughter. If I remember correctly, we got in for free when the gates collapsed under the weight of the Hearts supporters and we just walked in.

Aye that's how I remember it as well,my mate lost his shoe in the crush,bent down to get it and went flat on his face...got his shoe back and we got in  for free as well.

Edited by jambokev

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, the general said:

Prices for this will be interesting 

Heard it was expensive when Liverpool played in Ireland last pre season 

Don't forget to add the price of a shitty looking half and half scarf

The Old Tolbooth
32 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

People just moan about ****ing anything and everything don’t they? 

Or is it just Hearts fans?

I reckon it's just Hearts fans mate, shower of whining gits these days :rofl:

Big Slim Stylee
6 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Surprised many of them still have the will to live anymore.

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Surprised many of them still have the will to live anymore.

Me too mate, if all people have got to worry about is the fact that Liverpool are playing Napoli in Edinburgh the day AFTER a League Cup game that involves Hearts, then their lives must be really uneventful, I actually feel sorry for them :lol: 

14 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Need to find an English team to 'support'

to keep us happy then ☺

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Me too mate, if all people have got to worry about is the fact that Liverpool are playing Napoli in Edinburgh the day AFTER a League Cup game that involves Hearts, then their lives must be really uneventful, I actually feel sorry for them :lol: 

I'm sure folk are OK with it now that it's on a different date from Hearts game.

Scottish teams should always have priority in Scotland though.

Are Hibs playing that day ?

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Need to find an English team to 'support'

to keep us happy then ☺

I'll be shouting on Liverpool that day mate, like I have done for over 40 years, I honestly don't see what the problem of Liverpool and Napoli coming to town is, it generates an income for the city and puts much needed cash in some local businesses tills, it also lets Liverpool fans up here (and probably some Napoli fans too I'd imagine) see their team on their doorstep, an occasion like this can only be a good thing, I cant see it being cheap to see the champions of Europe though ;)

Being a dedicated Hearts fan and "supporting" Liverpool, there's no problem there. The amount of weird, plastic football fans this game will bring out will be a horrible sight though, people born and raised in Scotland that have only ever seen Liverpool on their telly and "support" just Liverpool.

These people are the reason Scottish football has been regressing for years as they keep turning their nose up at it in favour of a TV show masquerading as football.

davemclaren
35 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Personally, I don’t think it’s in the best interests of Scottish Football to allow two non Scottish sides to play each other in Scotland. If that makes my life uneventful then I hold my hand up. ?

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Personally, I don’t think it’s in the best interests of Scottish Football to allow two non Scottish sides to play each other in Scotland. If that makes my life uneventful then I hold my hand up. ?

Unsurprisingly, I agree. The only reason I’d get behind this would be if Murrayfield is hosting this with a view to showing UEFA they’re capable of hosting a European final. A wee bit revenge in the air after the SFA bumped them after stringing them along and then a football stadium hosted a showpiece rugby match last month? 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A bit like allowing 2 non Spanish sides to play in Madrid recently

Or Scotland to play in London against  countries other than England

Some on here just moan for no reason or to be part of a small group taking 'pride' in being different for no reason ,,,,trolls I think they are called

There are no matches in Edinburgh that day so no reason to stop the match...…….I mean who could object to the European champions playing in their home city ?

Unless of course you don't want to see some of the worlds best playing on your doorstep for other reasons

davemclaren
Just now, CJGJ said:

A bit like allowing 2 non Spanish sides to play in Madrid recently

Or Scotland to play in London against  countries other than England

Some on here just moan for no reason or to be part of a small group taking 'pride' in being different for no reason ,,,,trolls I think they are called

There are no matches in Edinburgh that day so no reason to stop the match...…….I mean who could object to the European champions playing in their home city ?

Unless of course you don't want to see some of the worlds best playing on your doorstep for other reasons

A Champions League final is a tad different to a kick-about between two foreign teams to help them get match fit and make some ( more ) money. I still don’t think it’s in the best interests of Scottish Football. 

The Old Tolbooth
15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A Champions League final is a tad different to a kick-about between two foreign teams to help them get match fit and make some ( more ) money. I still don’t think it’s in the best interests of Scottish Football. 

Why's it not in the best interests of Scottish football Dave? 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Why's it not in the best interests of Scottish football Dave? 

Because I don’t think it will encourage anyone to attend or have more interest un the Scottish game. It will just encourage people to take more of an interest in the EPL. I find it a bit patronising to be honest - an exhibition type game. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Will I be allowed to attend ?

The anti plastics will be all over this shortly...how dare you want to watch the European champions , don't you dare take your children to see them, traitors to Scottish football blah blah blah

Why not? You'd get the opportunity to see a world class footballer operate in the flesh. Get yourself to Hampden too soon and you'll see him again. 

Dries Mertens is a hell of a player!  

Worthing Jambo
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Because I don’t think it will encourage anyone to attend or have more interest un the Scottish game. It will just encourage people to take more of an interest in the EPL. I find it a bit patronising to be honest - an exhibition type game. 

Purely a marketing exercise to promote the preferred type of football fan.

Watches on the telly and might get tickets to see them in the flesh on their birthday.

It’s the future of football?

Big Slim Stylee
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It might not advance the interests of the Acottish game but really so what? It’s a nice day out and gives people with an interest but not a passion in football the chance to watch two stories sides. 

Plus it ahowcases Edinburgh and it’s right before the start of the Fringe,  

Doesn’t seem anything to merit the amount of knicker-twisting going on.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

It might not advance the interests of the Acottish game but really so what? It’s a nice day out and gives people with an interest but not a passion in football the chance to watch two stories sides. 

Plus it ahowcases Edinburgh and it’s right before the start of the Fringe,  

Doesn’t seem anything to merit the amount of knicker-twisting going on.

Who is twisting knickers? It’s all about opinion. National Associations exist to further the game in their own nation. I think this works against that. 

Jambo, Goodbye

My dad once watched Scotland v Wales, ..at Anfield. 

Can only imagine the sheer rage that must have caused. 

Either that or back then,  people had lives ?

Big Slim Stylee
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Who is twisting knickers? It’s all about opinion. National Associations exist to further the game in their own nation. I think this works against that. 

What have the SFA got to do with organizing this fixture? 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

What have the SFA got to do with organizing this fixture? 

No idea. But it’s within their jurisdiction so I would hope they would have a say, and if they did I would hope that say was no. 

Big Slim Stylee
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No idea. But it’s within their jurisdiction so I would hope they would have a say, and if they did I would hope that say was no. 

I doubt that very much. It’s Scottish Rugby’s prerogative to schedule events at  Murrayfield and will take great delight at putting two fingers up at the SFA whenever they can after the Hampden debacle.

The Old Tolbooth
52 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don't find it patronising in the slightest, it's an exhibition game between 2 of the best club sides in World football, it's being played on our doorsteps, and it can only generate interest and income for Edinburgh, and in particular, our area of Edinburgh. 

Do you really think Liverpool and Napoli are trying to reach out to Scotland to take fans away from Scottish football and get them to go and support their clubs? Come on Dave, that's about as far fetched as a reason as I've heard yet, have you tried to get a ticket for a Liverpool game lately? It's nigh on impossible, I'm a member of Liverpool and get entered into a ballot twice a season, up to now I've had no luck in getting one yet because the demand is so high, they're not going to take fans away from Scottish football by playing one single exhibition match here, we should be more worried about how many fans are traveling through to Glasgow to watch the uglies every single week. 

8 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

My dad once watched Scotland v Wales, ..at Anfield. 

Can only imagine the sheer rage that must have caused. 

Either that or back then,  people had lives ?

Or no internet :D 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I doubt the SFA will have any say in the matter whatsoever, it's being played at the home of rugby, and it's a friendly encounter and a meaningless match, the only way they'll have anything to do with it is if they supply the officials for the game, but I'd imagine they'd embrace such a showpiece game to be held in Scotland if the decision was up to them. 

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

I doubt that very much. It’s Scottish Rugby’s prerogative to schedule events at  Murrayfield and will take great delight at putting two fingers up at the SFA whenever they can after the Hampden debacle.

I agree re Murrayfield getting some pleasure from it but I reckon the SFA may well have some influence over what matches are played in their back yard. Either way I still don’t like the idea.  

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I don't find it patronising in the slightest, it's an exhibition game between 2 of the best club sides in World football, it's being played on our doorsteps, and it can only generate interest and income for Edinburgh, and in particular, our area of Edinburgh. 

Do you really think Liverpool and Napoli are trying to reach out to Scotland to take fans away from Scottish football and get them to go and support their clubs? Come on Dave, that's about as far fetched as a reason as I've heard yet, have you tried to get a ticket for a Liverpool game lately? It's nigh on impossible, I'm a member of Liverpool and get entered into a ballot twice a season, up to now I've had no luck in getting one yet because the demand is so high, they're not going to take fans away from Scottish football by playing one single exhibition match here, we should be more worried about how many fans are traveling through to Glasgow to watch the uglies every single week. 

Or no internet :D 

I doubt the SFA will have any say in the matter whatsoever, it's being played at the home of rugby, and it's a friendly encounter and a meaningless match, the only way they'll have anything to do with it is if they supply the officials for the game, but I'd imagine they'd embrace such a showpiece game to be held in Scotland if the decision was up to them. 

Yeah, no interest in the potential marketing opportunities at all. 

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, davemclaren said:

Yeah, no interest in the potential marketing opportunities at all. 

Liverpool already sell a shed load of stuff in Scotland, I don't think they really need to worry about growing that market at this moment in time Dave, not when the Asian market for them is absolutely enormous and is growing by the minute thanks to their success now, there really isn't any reason that this game shouldn't go ahead, and that it won't be good for the city as a whole. 

Worthing Jambo

Most of their ‘fans’ wouldn’t know where Liverpool is anyway.

Merchandise and internet rights in the future.

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Liverpool already sell a shed load of stuff in Scotland, I don't think they really need to worry about growing that market at this moment in time Dave, not when the Asian market for them is absolutely enormous and is growing by the minute thanks to their success now, there really isn't any reason that this game shouldn't go ahead, and that it won't be good for the city as a whole. 

Theyre the best team in Europe.  If they get another 2,000 neutrals to support them through all of this then job done.

That, and they will actually be paid to play here like Barca did.

gashauskis9

Brilliant.  Thousands of plastic Liverpool supporters from the central belt descending on Murrayfield to watch their B Team play a friendly.  Can’t wait.

Harlem globetroters type nonsense,  modern football in a nutshell two super rich clubs tour foreign lands in the pre season to raise yet more cash.

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Theyre the best team in Europe.  If they get another 2,000 neutrals to support them through all of this then job done.

No danger they'll get another 2,000 neutrals to support them because of this game (I know it was just a hearsay figure), they might get a few more going down and doing a stadium tour or something, but good luck getting tickets as they're rarer than hens teeth, looking for extra fans isn't the reason for doing this, and to be honest, it would be a nice touch if both clubs turned round and said that the money raised by the game should go to some charity or something, but that won't happen either. 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Who's paying them ?

TV Sponsors ?

If there are ANY games that day in Scotland the SFA /SPFL could veto coverage.

Personally I'm in the CGAF camp about this as long as no Scottish clubs are adversely affected because of this game.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ah, so not negatively impacting the  Scottish game at all. The game will celebrate the strong links between the European Champions, Liverpool and Scotland. It will be a great occasion for Andy Robertson, playing for Liverpool in his home country.

Inch Hearts
43 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Who's paying them ?

TV Sponsors ?

If there are ANY games that day in Scotland the SFA /SPFL could veto coverage.

Personally I'm in the CGAF camp about this as long as no Scottish clubs are adversely affected because of this game.

Same guys that paid Barca to come play us I would imagine.  

adambraejambo

Hearts could make a tidy amount from this. I would think the majority of Liverpool fans based in England will come up for the weekend . I sure there will be a large amount who will take in our game as well. Plus on day of their game we got 3/4 lounges we can rent out. Free money. 

53 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Hearts could make a tidy amount from this. I would think the majority of Liverpool fans based in England will come up for the weekend . I sure there will be a large amount who will take in our game as well. Plus on day of their game we got 3/4 lounges we can rent out. Free money. 

East Fife only holds about 1,000.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

have you tried to get a ticket for a Liverpool game lately? It's nigh on impossible, I'm a member of Liverpool and get entered into a ballot twice a season, up to now I've had no luck in getting one yet because the demand is so high,

You need better connections TOT. Got to visit Anfield 9 times this year. Got a fan membership with 19 points on it so get every home game. Only go to the big games if it doesn’t clash with the famous so you’re welcome to use it I’m not going. Just PM me mate. It’s up for grabs on the occasions I don’t go 

I wonder where Liverpool or Napoli might train when they are in Edinburgh?

I wonder if either would be interested in the best football training facilities in Scotland?

I wonder if the team that otherwise trained at those facilities might benefit in some way if this happened either with some shared training or a closed door bounced game in those circumstances?

Edited by Jammy T