Your favourite Edinburgh pubs

Rick James

Rick James

Noticed on the bus to work this morning that the infamous Spiers Bar in Goldenacre is gone and has now gone a bit more upmarket. According to Google it changed almost a year ago!

Prompted me to think of your frequented Edinburgh pubs, what's left of them anyway.

I'll earn no accolades for my favourites but for me Robbie's on Leith Walk, Southsider and the occasional jaunt to the Ferryboat see me right.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stuart Lyon

• the general

46 minutes ago, Locky said:

Noticed on the bus to work this morning that the infamous Spiers Bar in Goldenacre is gone and has now gone a bit more upmarket. According to Google it changed almost a year ago!

Prompted me to think of your frequented Edinburgh pubs, what's left of them anyway.

I'll earn no accolades for my favourites but for me Robbie's on Leith Walk, Southsider and the occasional jaunt to the Ferryboat see me right.

Robbies on Leith Walk used to be a good boozer can't comment as I've not been in it for about 5 years.

The Shore has a high concentration of really good pubs, my favourite being the Carrier's Quarters.

Although I have many, I’ll follow the OP and name three.

Bennets (Morningside, not Tollcross)

Montpeliers

Hectors

hmfc_steve
5 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Robbies on Leith Walk used to be a good boozer can't comment as I've not been in it for about 5 years.

still the best on leith walk

N Lincs Jambo

Going back to the 80s for me here. The Oak Inn, Corstorphine, The Antiquary Stockbridge and the legendary Chic Murray’s

Bluesy1874
6 hours ago, Locky said:

I mostly  seem to frequent the pubs you are in these days ? apart from that the oak in corstorphine was always a good day out before it turned into a steakhouse. 

12 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Going back to the 80s for me here. The Oak Inn, Corstorphine, The Antiquary Stockbridge and the legendary Chic Murray’s

Antiquary was where I watched Live Aid, and Chic’s was where I perfected the art of under-age drinking. 

N Lincs Jambo
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Antiquary was where I watched Live Aid, and Chic’s was where I perfected the art of under-age drinking. 

Celebrated my 18th at the ‘Tiq. It was a Monday evening and we’d all piled in as regulars around 6.30pm. Barman asks what the celebration was, I told him it was my 18th. He told me I was a cheeky wee ******* (I had been a regular there for two years ?). The benefits of having thick bumfluff!

Robbo-Jambo

Late eighties and nineties in The Rutland was good.

Lot of Hearts used to frequent there on a Saturday night.

Peter Martin :cornette: used to be the DJ some nights.

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Only go for the fantastic selection of drinks...

:Aye:I’ll believe you, thousands wouldn’t.

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

City Centre - The Guildford 

Corstorphine - Winstons

Winstons had to be one of the smokiest pubs I ever frequented (I don’t smoke). Other than that a great wee boozer

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Burke & Hare

Was it a toss off between that and the Western.

Sorry, I meant toss up.

been here before

In the town, The Melville in William Street. The Marina when working in that neck of the woods and the Cross Keys for somewhere a bit more local.

Ryries when I lived more central.

Golden Rule

The Diggers

Bennets Bar

Mather’s

Cloisters

Bow Bar

Sandy Bell’s

Leslie’s

Barony Bar

Cask and Barrel (Broughton Street)

Cafe Royal

Kay’s Bar

The Bailie

Dagda Bar

The Blue Blazer

Malt and Hops

And many others. What a fantastic city for pubs.

the general
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Watched Live Aid in the Jailhouse...anti live aid all day bash

Rupert Custard

The Rainbow and The Oak in Corstorphine when I stayed there.

The Abbotsford, Mathers (Broughton St), in city centre. 

If city centre, depends what end. Mathers or the guildford. 

When meeting leith friends, used to be middletons but that's a shite pub now so its Robbies bar.

Used to live the west end oyster bar when I lived in Edinburgh but it's long closed now.

Also used to enjoy tolcross, the kings arms was my regular for a few years, and occasionally lauries. 

Doctor FinnBarr

If the Mrs and me have a day out in town we'll go to the Guildford cos at least I can get a draught wheat beer there (it seems to be the bottled stuff everywhere else).

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Although I have many, I’ll follow the OP and name three.

Bennets (Morningside, not Tollcross)

Montpeliers

Hectors

Ye can tell ye wurny a schemie mon ami

There’s plenty good pubs in Edinburgh: Thomson’s, Roseburn, Bow Bar, Blue Blazer, Oxford, Cambridge, Golden Rule, Guildford, Bennett’s, Diggers, Teuchters etc. 

That’s off the top of my head and doesn’t include the various new craft beer pubs, some of which - the Hanging Bat for example - are very good. And then there’s the nice bars I’d go with the missus. One thing Edinburgh will never be short of is good places to drink. 

Roseburn Bar 

The Diggers

The Earl of Marchmont 

Duke of Argyle

Bennetts (Tollcross)

Brass Monkey (Southside)

Leslies

Teuchtars Landing 

Sandy Bells

Special mentions to Teviot House (Uni days), the old Peartree and Burlington Berties before it too was sold and destroyed.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Guildford Arms

Mathers

The Abbotsford

Stockbridge Tap

Bow Bar. 

the general
16 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Celebrated my 18th at the ‘Tiq. It was a Monday evening and we’d all piled in as regulars around 6.30pm. Barman asks what the celebration was, I told him it was my 18th. He told me I was a cheeky wee ******* (I had been a regular there for two years ?). The benefits of having thick bumfluff!

Exact same happened to me in the Chesser Inn on my 18th .. 

18 hours ago, MTS1874 said:

City Centre - The Guildford 

Corstorphine - Winstons

You missed off Thomsons in Morrison street, otherwise 10 years ago these were my Edinburgh pubs of choice.

crunchy frog

Mid Yoken

Centurion

Southsider

All of which have gone to the dogs

Persevere

Still good despite it's location

16 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Thomsons

Roseburn Bar

Diggers

Mathers

I knew you’d plump for Thomsons, Stuart.

We were in there a week past Sunday. Great pub and good beer but goodness, the guy behind the bar really should be suing the charm school!

19 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Indeed, Lincs ?

Bum fluff was a handy attribute to have!

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Indeed, Lincs ?

Bum fluff was a handy attribute to have!

Indeed it was Morgan, I have 3 daughters now at 16, 17 and 20. The eldest is now living in Manchester and has started to experience night life and pubs. The other two haven’t though. I tell them that in May 79, I went into Tiffany’s disco a 15 year old and came out a 16 year old and I’m not sure they believe me. But that’s just the way it was in those days. No ID check. If the bouncers let you in that was good enough for the bar staff ???

The White Cockade

Bandwagon

Stable Bar

The Steading

Bannermans

Pear Tree

The Tron

Engine Room

Mad Hatters

Rutland

Grosvenor

Doctors

Oddfelllows

Bow Bar

the place down Victoria Street - forgotten the name

4 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Bandwagon

Stable Bar

The Steading

Bannermans

Pear Tree

The Tron

Engine Room

Mad Hatters

Rutland

Grosvenor

Doctors

Oddfelllows

Bow Bar

the place down Victoria Street - forgotten the name

I can't believe I forgot about bannermans.

Stuart Lyon
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

We were in there a week past Sunday. Great pub and good beer but goodness, the guy behind the bar really should be suing the charm school!

I suspect it was Lee thee Manager (dark hair about 5'7" tall) If it was a tall guy then that is Fraser the assistant manager who might have been a bit down because of the cup final result.

The Real Maroonblood
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

If it was Lee he can be excused as he’s a Hibby.

9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Bring back the"Black Pig"

The pub that had the best jukebox in Edinburgh.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, superjack said:

The pub that had the best jukebox in Edinburgh.

No way, I saw this post and came on to ask if we were talking about the black pig!

59 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If it was Lee he can be excused as he’s a Hibby.

If you look to the left of the bar in Thomson’s into their kitchen area there’s a photo on the wall of David Gray holding the Scottish Cup.

That notwithstanding, it’s a very decent bar and one I meant to have on my list above.

Just down towards Haymarket on the other side of the road there’s a newish place called Monty’s which I thought would be a bit poncy and fey for me - advertises “fromage and charcuterie” or some such in the window. It turned out to be really good in terms of range of beers and a simply outstanding choice of whiskies from funky independent bottlers.