VAR itonight if only !

ollie2004

If only it was there last Saturday we would have won the cup and be back in Europe.

The VAR decision tonight was IN RESPECT of a similar incident to last Saturday.

Outcome NO PENALTY!

Why has the club not made any statement of complaint?

Edited by ollie2004
Typo

siegementality

The club should have made a complaint and the Compliance Officer should be citing  Edouard for simulation.

Just now, siegementality said:

The club should have made a complaint and the Compliance Officer should be citing  Edouard for simulation.

Sadly neither will be done, I think it is now too late to cite Edouard!

Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, ollie2004 said:

If only it was there last Saturday we would have won the cup and be back in Europe.

Outcome NO PENALTY!

No VAR in Scotland because it suits the old firm to carry on getting dodgy decisions in their favour. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

An assistant referee behind the goal line would have done. 

I am sure there was but he was on the other side of the goal. This begs the question why have these officials on the same side as the linesman? I have a feeling it was that prick Bobby Madden.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/collum-to-referee-scottish-cup-final/

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Would still be a Scottish ref on var so would probably have been given anyway. 

This.

VAR is irrelevant because it's still another human making those calls.

N Lincs Jambo

Was about to start a thread about this but @ollie2004 got there first. For over 30 years I have been saying that football could learn from Rugby Union.

In RU, let’s take last Saturday as an example, it’s already been shown that Collum’s view wasn’t the greatest. He would have needed to do the TV sign and, being mic’ed up, every person in the stadium would have heard what he said. 

He could/should have said words along these lines; “I’m inclined to award a penalty to Celtic on the grounds of Eduard being brought down illegally either by Zlamal or Berra. Is there any reason not to award a penalty in which case it will be goal kick to Hearts??”

This eliminates the having to correct a serious mistake from the equation and would have led, in my opinion, to a goal kick to Hearts.

The way VAR currently operates would still have resulted in a penalty to Celtic imho, even though I don’t believe a foul was committed.

N Lincs Jambo
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not letting me play the clip but if it’s the one from the first half they did VAR it but ut wasn’t deemed a serious error by the ref. See my earlier post about how rugby does it and how football should learn from it.

Arthur Morgan
13 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Was about to start a thread about this but @ollie2004 got there first. For over 30 years I have been saying that football could learn from Rugby Union.

In RU, let’s take last Saturday as an example, it’s already been shown that Collum’s view wasn’t the greatest. He would have needed to do the TV sign and, being mic’ed up, every person in the stadium would have heard what he said. 

He could/should have said words along these lines; “I’m inclined to award a penalty to Celtic on the grounds of Eduard being brought down illegally either by Zlamal or Berra. Is there any reason not to award a penalty in which case it will be goal kick to Hearts??”

This eliminates the having to correct a serious mistake from the equation and would have led, in my opinion, to a goal kick to Hearts.

The way VAR currently operates would still have resulted in a penalty to Celtic imho, even though I don’t believe a foul was committed.

This is exactly what should happen, good post. 

The Internet
16 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Do we only do that for penalties or is it for every decision the ref makes? 

14 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

He was at the other end.

OK cool.

I do feel another thread regarding the senseless positioning of the 2 goal line assistants. Surely they should be on the side of the goals where the linesman is at the closest the half way line looking after the other half of the pitch and at least 40 yards away.

been here before
37 minutes ago, ollie2004 said:

Outcome NO PENALTY!

Surely it would have finished 1-1.

N Lincs Jambo
4 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Do we only do that for penalties or is it for every decision the ref makes? 

Doesn’t need to be for every decision the ref makes, just like it isn’t in rugby. Just needs to be the really important ones where there is a potential for a wrong decision seriously affecting the outcome of the game, just like Saturday.

Sooperstar

VAR is shite. You still get shite decision from it. I reckon if they bring it into Scottish football it's just going to make people more angry about decisions. Could be fun to watch though.

The Internet
1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Doesn’t need to be for every decision the ref makes, just like it isn’t in rugby. Just needs to be the really important ones where there is a potential for a wrong decision seriously affecting the outcome of the game, just like Saturday.

That's the thing though in football every decision down to a throw in on the half way line is potentially game changing as goals can happen so quickly. Can't really see it working 100% in any capacity in football anyway but having the ref talk to the crowd like in the nfl just sounds terrible tbh. 

48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

An assistant referee behind the goal line would have done. 

Competent officials who referee games without fear nor favour would do.

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That's the thing though in football every decision down to a throw in on the half way line is potentially game changing as goals can happen so quickly. Can't really see it working 100% in any capacity in football anyway but having the ref talk to the crowd like in the nfl just sounds terrible tbh. 

Got to be better than refs like Collum giving Celtic dubious penalties in major finals/semi-finals like he has done this season. I’m quite happy with not everything, like a throw-in in your own half, being referred upstairs but I know that if football were to implement the system they currently use in top level rugby union that these decisions, which virtually always go in the favour of the OF, would be al but eliminated. The best thing about the refs being mic’ed up is transparency.

Bull's-eye

VAR will be employed successfully to enhance the game in England and I've absolutely no doubt it will fulfil that ambition.

Scotland still has a split and won't change and there's no appetite to change or enhance the product.  

2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

VAR will be employed successfully to enhance the game in England and I've absolutely no doubt it will fulfil that ambition.

Scotland still has a split and won't change and there's no appetite to change or enhance the product.  

Correct.

Robbo-Jambo
51 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Good Post. 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Not sure about that. If they didn't get a helping hand from their pet project Gollum,  I doubt Celtic would've got back into that game. 

No way of telling for sure,  of course. 

Don't they only use VAR if they have suspicion to believe the referee's decision might be wrong, instead of for every single thing? 

Scottish VAR would still favour the Gruesome Twosome, as they would just claim that the referee's decision was correct.  It doesn't get displayed on screens for anyone in the stadium to see, so there would be no accountability for them failing to review things properly. 

We've had referees have clear evidence of mistakes they've made be presented to them, and they still refused to acknowledge they had made an error.  A fancy VAR system will not change that. 

The Internet

Var isn't even a fancy system. It's a group of guys in a booth looking at replays for a minute. Hardly groundbreaking technology. 

9 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

My mind may be playing tricks (re your last paragraph) but by the end of the last WC didn't VAR move towards the correct decision (by the laws) rather than clear error.

Last night I'd say there may have been some minimap contact, but difficult to prove and certainly not enough for an infringement to be committed.

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, been here before said:

That isn't how football games work.

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, tian447 said:

Don't they only use VAR if they have suspicion to believe the referee's decision might be wrong, instead of for every single thing? 

Scottish VAR would still favour the Gruesome Twosome, as they would just claim that the referee's decision was correct.  It doesn't get displayed on screens for anyone in the stadium to see, so there would be no accountability for them failing to review things properly. 

We've had referees have clear evidence of mistakes they've made be presented to them, and they still refused to acknowledge they had made an error.  A fancy VAR system will not change that. 

Zaliukas red card for being head butted just the most blatant example.

Imagine John Beaton in the VAR room. I wouldn't be shocked if the guy couldn't work a basic operating system.

Here Wullie pal, how dae ah rewind this!?

To be honest we’ll never know if VAR would have overturned Saturday’s decision. I’d say it wouldn’t have, given the penalties awarded to France in the WC final and to Man U in the CL game in Paris it’s anybody’s guess as to how these calls would go.

Can ANYONE imagine Wullie looking at a monitor and accepting he’s made a clear mistake??? 

We’ll just have to live with being the latest in a long line of dodgy Glasgow favouring decisions. One which may or may not have cost us a glorious day in our history. 

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Scotland still has a split and won't change and there's no appetite for GFA to change or enhance the product.  

FTFY

Bindy Badgy
8 hours ago, tian447 said:

They keep going on about a 'clear and obvious error' when discussing it on the TV. This begs the question why France were awarded a penalty against Croatia in the World Cup.

jambo-in-furness

VAR in Scotland won't change a thing unless you get officials from outside Scotland on the monitors.

Rewarding a Scottish referee for his seasons "work" by giving him the cup final is laughable, It's like saying "Willie, Bobby, John, you've been corrupt all season here is your reward, go and be corrupt again."

Scottish referees are biased towards the erse cheeks, whether on the pitch or behind a camera, as are the pundits except IMO Chris Sutton.

Worth noting that Euro 2020 will have VAR, so Hampden will have to facilitate for it. Wonder if the SFA will trial it in the cup semi's and finals. Pfft.

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Imagine John Beaton in the VAR room. I wouldn't be shocked if the guy couldn't work a basic operating system.

Here Wullie pal, how dae ah rewind this!?

Ha Ha