Our defence next season

Jammy T

On 30/05/2019 at 10:13, Lovecraft said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/hearts-skipper-christophe-berra-named-16183424

Christophe Berra has been named as the 'most effective' defender in Europe according to a new survey.

The 34-year-old Hearts skipper tops a list published by CIES Football Observatory as having won the highest percentage of defensive air challenges in domestic league matches this season in Europe.

Berra has won 233 of his 268 defensive aerial challenges, or 86.9% if looked at as a percentage.

This puts him ahead of central defenders Marcelo Guedes (Lyon), Felipe Augusto (Porto) and Jake Cooper (Millwall), all three of which are tied in second place with 85.5% of their defensive headers won.

Only players with at least 80 aerial challenges to their name make the list, which places the Hearts captain streets ahead of the likes of Virgil Van Dijk (84.1%), Mats Hummels (80.5%), Gerard Pique (78.8%) and Real Madrid hardman Sergio Ramos (77% of defensive headers won).

It's not aerial challenges I'm bothered about it's his lack of pace on the ground.

9 minutes ago, Cynic said:

It's not aerial challenges I'm bothered about it's his lack of pace on the ground.

Sandy Jardine was never the fastest for us but was brilliant. The key is to have faster players around him and he uses his experience and positioning to stop him getting into trouble. Needs to be fully fit and mobile though which he didn't look after coming back from injury. 

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Sandy Jardine was never the fastest for us but was brilliant. The key is to have faster players around him and he uses his experience and positioning to stop him getting into trouble. Needs to be fully fit and mobile though which he didn't look after coming back from injury. 

Berra isn’t close to Jardine.

Its not his heading I’m worried about either.

stevie1874
13 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Our defense will probably be different in August than it is in September.

Is that a hint that Soutar might be away ?

1 minute ago, stevie1874 said:

Is that a hint that Soutar might be away ?

Not a hint. I just think somebody will give us an offer we would be daft to turn down. Just my opinion nothing more.

32 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Not a hint. I just think somebody will give us an offer we would be daft to turn down. Just my opinion nothing more.

I think Souttar had a few dodgy games when he returned from injury which may have put doubts in the minds of some of the clubs chasing (injury and form). I think we may get offers but not sure there will be the bun fight for his signature there may have been had he had a flawless season and no injury. 

Its down to us then to decide if he is worth keeping or the fee offered allows the team, as a whole, to move forward. 

Could do with getting this decided before transfer window closing so we can reinvest calmly, not like last year. 

Berra probably needs a rest and a good pre season.

I think he bust a guy to get back, probably played half fit at times. He was more like his old self towards the tail end of the season.

Maybe next year he won't play as much, but Hearts need Berra around on and off the park. 

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

If that happens, then an offer to Burnley of a couple of hundred grand for Jimmy Dunne would possibly yield similar fruit to buying Souttar from Dundee United. Out of contract next summer and not in their plans by the look of things. Sunderland seem to prefer Öztürk, and maybe Burnley would rather let the player get on with his career now, rather than another loan with no view to playing for them? Even a loan until the end of the season with an agreement to join us after that?

Really like Jimmy as a player.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, Cynic said:

He's not slow. He dies turn like an oil tanker though.

1 hour ago, mscjambo said:

Berra probably needs a rest and a good pre season.

I think he bust a guy to get back, probably played half fit at times. He was more like his old self towards the tail end of the season.

Maybe next year he won't play as much, but Hearts need Berra around on and off the park. 

He will probably benefit from that.

And you're right about probably coming back too quickly.  He should be saluted for his commitment to the club.

i wish jj was my dad
44 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He will probably benefit from that.

And you're right about probably coming back too quickly.  He should be saluted for his commitment to the club.

But why turn a positive into a negative? Not having a pop at this thread btw just the mindset of 'supporters' who will use anything to slate the club

Absolute Scenes

I’m excited about Halkett. Boy is comfortable with the ball at his feet, can shoot and has a long throw. Think he’ll do well for us

On 30/05/2019 at 10:13, Lovecraft said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/hearts-skipper-christophe-berra-named-16183424

Christophe Berra has been named as the 'most effective' defender in Europe according to a new survey.

The 34-year-old Hearts skipper tops a list published by CIES Football Observatory as having won the highest percentage of defensive air challenges in domestic league matches this season in Europe.

Berra has won 233 of his 268 defensive aerial challenges, or 86.9% if looked at as a percentage.

This puts him ahead of central defenders Marcelo Guedes (Lyon), Felipe Augusto (Porto) and Jake Cooper (Millwall), all three of which are tied in second place with 85.5% of their defensive headers won.

Only players with at least 80 aerial challenges to their name make the list, which places the Hearts captain streets ahead of the likes of Virgil Van Dijk (84.1%), Mats Hummels (80.5%), Gerard Pique (78.8%) and Real Madrid hardman Sergio Ramos (77% of defensive headers won).

Just goes to show what a load of crap can be taken out of stats. That's the danger of signing players on that basis as well.

12 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Berra isn’t close to Jardine.

Its not his heading I’m worried about either.

Point is a lack of pace can be compensated for. Berra dominates in the air. That's very important in Scotland when pretty much every team shells balls up in the air for half the game. Berra seemed off after coming back from injury but if he's fully fit he's a very good defender.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Point is a lack of pace can be compensated for. Berra dominates in the air. That's very important in Scotland when pretty much every team shells balls up in the air for half the game. Berra seemed off after coming back from injury but if he's fully fit he's a very good defender.

I agree - but it would be much better if Berra was slow and could pass (like jardine could)

8 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I agree - but it would be much better if Berra was slow and could pass (like jardine could)

Yes and he'd be Scotland captain and probably still down south if he could!

Mr Elwood P
12 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Just goes to show what a load of crap can be taken out of stats. That's the danger of signing players on that basis as well.

Alternatively it shows that Berra is an imperious defender when the ball is in the air. If he was half as good with the ball at his feet he would have been at an Everton / Spurs level club instead of Wolves and Ipswich.

Mr Elwood P
23 hours ago, Cynic said:

The data from 18 months ago suggests the exact opposite. Be interesting to see if he has actually slowed down any since the injury.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2002897/christophe-berra-austin-macphee-jamie-vardy-run-for-his-money-quickest-hearts/

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Alternatively it shows that Berra is an imperious defender when the ball is in the air. If he was half as good with the ball at his feet he would have been at an Everton / Spurs level club instead of Wolves and Ipswich.

Our best headerer since Roddy MacDonald.

42 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No doubts about that part .