Europa final

jake

All that's wrong with football.

From venue

Ticket prices 

Ticket availability

And the final not being freeview.

Some epic journeys to get there. 

No matter what you think Arsenal and Chelsea are still decent clubs with a lot of fans rich and poor. 

Still a game of football. 

Like it's a closed doors match. Supporters couldn't be any further away. Hampden could fit inside that perimeter 

RustyRightPeg

Not great viewing. 

I do enjoy watching Arsenal's front two playing together, here's hoping they come up with a wee bit magic.

On another note, the Chelsea keeper is absolutely pants.

AlphonseCapone
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Not great viewing. 

I do enjoy watching Arsenal's front two playing together, here's hoping they come up with a wee bit magic.

On another note, the Chelsea keeper is absolutely pants.

Why does he insist on punching? 

All roads lead to Gorgie

The stadium seems to be a cross between Hampden and Murrayfield. Miles away from the pitch if you are behind the goals and lopsided. 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why does he insist on punching? 

He punches routine crosses back into danger!!! If he was our keeper could you imagine the stick he'd get

indianajones
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The stadium seems to be a cross between Hampden and Murrayfield. Miles away from the pitch if you are behind the goals and lopsided. 

State of that running track. 

Fans that made it may as well be back in London as the pitch is that far away from the stands. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

State of that running track. 

Fans that made it may as well be back in London as the pitch is that far away from the stands. 

The colour of the running track is ? too.

AlimOzturk

First thing I noticed was how far the stands are away from the pitch. Atmosphere is worse than a midweek Hearts game against someone like Patrick. 

This is still a massive game can't believe how bad it is being presented. 

My complete lack of knowledge about these two clubs had me listening to the game on the car wireless on the way home.

I thought Cech would be playing for Chelsea and Giroud for Arsenal. How out of date am I? :lol:

cauther col

At least the ref had the balls to wave away the penalty claim very similar to the  one Collum gave on Saturday 

Robbo-Jambo
39 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'll put in on when it gets to the penalties.

?

Bindy Badgy

I really don't get people complaining about Baku being hard to get to. I looked into going there for the World judo Championships last year. Return flights from Edinburgh with an hour layover cost ~£600. Obviously the airlines are going to indulge in a fair bit of price gouging but that would happen wherever it was being played. No danger this would stop me going if it was Hearts.

Edited by Stokesy

11 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I really don't get people complaining about Baku being hard to get to. I looked into going there for the World judo Championships last year. Return flights from Edinburgh with an hour layover cost ~£600. Obviously the airlines are going to indulge in a fair bit of price gouging but that would happen wherever it was being played. No danger this would stop me going if it was Hearts.

The problem is uefa admitted the infrastructure can’t cope with a lot of people travelling to the city.

many of the flights in/out from Uk mean spending 7 days there. Limited charter flights for the game itself.

Holding it it in a 70k stadium and then saying only 14k tickets can come from out with the county due to travel issues, was never a great bit of planning.

It was like watching one of those pre season games in the Far East. 

1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

As the post above mentioned, we're talking the Europa Cup final here. Baku couldn't cope with the massive number of flights needed to get everyone in and out even remotely quickly.

Rick James

Well that was an odd final. First half was terrible, second sprung to life a bit. What made it odd though, was the feeling that this was a foreign friendly or the less glamorous Super Cup.

The stadium itself wasn't bad, but it was half empty with very few 'real' fans of either side. Certainly as a spectacle off the field, it has to be the worst UEFA Cup final ever?

There was absolutely no atmosphere, and the entire stadium was filled with people quite happy to applaud both sides at the same time.  Hardly any actual supporters of either team there due to the ridiculous ticketing allocation! 

A great game in the second half ruined by the fact it felt like a pre-season friendly.  Compare the noise after the goals compared to the noise at Hampden last weekend... Pathetic! 

The bigger European teams already don't take the Europa League seriously enough, without subjecting the competition to nights like tonight. 

Even the stadium was awful, never mind the hassle of actually getting there! Crap surface and a running track leaving "fans" about half a mile from the pitch! It looks nice from the outside, but there are plenty of other stadiums better suited to holding such an event.

Money talks, eh? They'll claim it's about spreading the experience of football, or some other ridiculous excuse, but everyone knows why it was even considered in the first place. 

Edited by tian447

132goals1958
7 hours ago, tian447 said:

There was absolutely no atmosphere, and the entire stadium was filled with people quite happy to applaud both sides at the same time.  Hardly any actual supporters of either team there due to the ridiculous ticketing allocation! 

A great game in the second half ruined by the fact it felt like a pre-season friendly.  Compare the noise after the goals compared to the noise at Hampden last weekend... Pathetic! 

The bigger European teams already don't take the Europa League seriously enough, without subjecting the competition to nights like tonight. 

Even the stadium was awful, never mind the hassle of actually getting there! Crap surface and a running track leaving "fans" about half a mile from the pitch! It looks nice from the outside, but there are plenty of other stadiums better suited to holding such an event.

Money talks, eh? They'll claim it's about spreading the experience of football, or some other ridiculous excuse, but everyone knows why it was even considered in the first place. 

I am glad I lived through the cloth cap image years. Whilst appreciative that we  have to move with the times the whole ethos of the game has been decimated.

5 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I am glad I lived through the cloth cap image years. Whilst appreciative that we  have to move with the times the whole ethos of the game has been decimated.

Correct.

The Champs League Final, strangely, will have more of a feel of a proper final though. Still crazy prices etc but in a location where it will be bouncing with a more traditional feel.

That last night looked like a pre-season game in the states !

doctor jambo

The fans are standard epl fare. From Korea , iran, England and Canada . Overseas tv fans finally seeing “ their team” live.

probably commit as much financially as the English fans to the team budgets.

its how international leagues have grown.

without that cash, the epl would shrivel