Should Hearts Operate With a Director of Football  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hearts continue to have a Director of Football

• Yes but not Craig Levein
    • Yes it should be Craig Levein
    • No, traditional manager overseeing all football matters

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Exactly. Yes, we were unlucky on Saturday but ultimately it was just another failure/defeat to add to his lenghty losers CV. It's time to go. 

Except is not going to happen no matter how many times you regurgitate the same pish. 

Thankfully for us, Mr Levein is a trusted member of the Football Club.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Except is not going to happen no matter how many times you regurgitate the same pish. 

Thankfully for us, Mr Levein is a trusted member of the Football Club.

Even if it doesn't happen it won't change the fact that he has won nothing in his career and has led us to two 6th place finishes on the bounce whilst playing utterly crap football. You keep clapping away like a performing seal though. ?

He should be DOF absolutely BUT he should have no involvement in 1st team matters beyond appointing a head coach and backing him with the resources he needs. The head coach needs to have complete freedom to bring in whatever players/staff he wants.

His strengths are no longer in management but he still has strengths, we should play to them.

22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like the Director of Football is on the board. The more football men on the board for me the better. It's either that or bean counters and business people. Having someone like Levein there should mean all decisions are made with an eye on the outcomes for the football side of things. The football side has a voice basically.

Classic director of football role is not a board member. Boards actually don't make any day to day operating decisions, that would be the chief executive and the director of football. Boards are there to keep a general eye on things, advise on important strategic decisions and positions are almost always part time. 

3 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

He should be DOF absolutely BUT he should have no involvement in 1st team matters beyond appointing a head coach and backing him with the resources he needs. The head coach needs to have complete freedom to bring in whatever players/staff he wants.

His strengths are no longer in management but he still has strengths, we should play to them.

That's not a workable model, the DoF needs to play a part in player and staff recruitment. It should lead to more measured decisions that fit the club's strategy and avoids a blame game when things go wrong. Head coach is completely responsible for set up, formation and coaching though.

1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Classic director of football role is not a board member. Boards actually don't make any day to day operating decisions, that would be the chief executive and the director of football. Boards are there to keep a general eye on things, advise on important strategic decisions and positions are almost always part time. 

I'm happy to have a football man there for the advising on important strategic decisions thing.

3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Bring back Vlad as DoF. 

Our first Vlad DoF has just become the manager of Dumbarton FC.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Jesus H Christ , where has he been for the last 10 years?

Edited by sadj

Stephen Muddie

I voted No. I would appoint Craig Levein as Academy Director and allow him to fully focus on youth development.

I'm a believer in giving a manager a budget and allowing him to work within it, completely at his own discretion. His assistant manager plus the board could handle other aspects of his job, such as contract negotiations and such like. I believe in a manager bringing his own staff and utilising his own scouting networks and football relationships.

I realise I'm not in the majority here but it's just the way I'd like to see things going - almost a two-tiered structure I guess. Two football managers who don't interfere with each other/need each others' approval or help and both answerable to the board and board alone. If 1st team affairs going crap, one man to blame. If youth development going crap, same. My 2p anyway. I almost opted for CL as DoF to be fair, but I just think he'd be more valuable an asset if allowed to fully concentrate on youth recruitment.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Forever Hearts
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Jesus H Christ , where has he been for the last 10 years?

Managing Scottish football clubs. 

Calebs Grandad
15 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’d love to know the percentage of successful football clubs around the world who operate with a DoF. 

48.4% 

Calebs Grandad
6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

An excellent grounding for him then and obviously his HMFC enhanced  CV allowed him his pick of those clubs head hunting him.

18 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

I want to vote 'yes and it could be Craig Levein as long as he is not also manager'. Trying to combine the two roles is too much for anyone.

The crucial thing is that the director of football should be there to support the manager with recruitment and to oversee the academy etc but should not be the manager's boss.

Levein would not accept not being the Managers boss IMO.

Leveins Battalion

We should start a poll..do Hearts have the wingiest fans in football...or are we gonna get back to supporting the team and stop the in fighting between fans regarding anything from team selection to songs sang.Hearts are a special club,wake up open your eyes,the foundations are firmly in place.Love the Jambos.

Spellczech

? Manager = DOF + Head Coach

Hearts don't have a DOF. Whilst the club may say Levein is DOF and Head Coach, this is nonsense. You cannot have the same man doing both jobs and retain a division of responsibility! Hearts have an old school manager, just like many of you wanted when Cathro was Head Coach...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

? Manager = DOF + Head Coach

Hearts don't have a DOF. Whilst the club may say Levein is DOF and Head Coach, this is nonsense. You cannot have the same man doing both jobs and retain a division of responsibility! Hearts have an old school manager, just like many of you wanted when Cathro was Head Coach...

He's on the board. Hear what you are saying but in our case we have both a manager and a director that are the same person 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He's on the board. Hear what you are saying but in our case we have both a manager and a director that are the same person 

Well yeah, but in terms of influence over the club it's a moot point, he's like an old school manager, in charge of football operations. I really don't see much difference between traditional manager overseeing football matters and what we've got now except a voice on the board, and in fact I'm pretty sure I remember Jim Jefferies being on the board for a time.

We should have a DOF.....and I think CL has done a great job rebuilding the football side of the club.

From the outside it has to be said he’s done better being the DOF than he has being the manager since returning to the club.

Overseeing a promotion and a 3rd place finish was as good as we could have wished for.

He hasn’t really recovered from the Cathro debacle though. Too many errors of judgement and costly mistakes.

Spellczech
20 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not sure what the business position of Director of Football is at other clubs TBH. In my experience being a company director as an employee is different from being a director as an owner. I suppose he may have more interaction with the board than he would if he was not a director and this might mean a bit more security, but generally Executive boards don't have a big problem with punting one of the their own if necessary.