End of season Craig Levein poll

Geoff Kilpatrick

End of season Craig Levein poll  

1,159 members have voted

1. 1. Should HMFC appoint a new first team manager in the close season?

• Yes
    • No

PhoenixHearts

No, unless there is a clearly better candidate who is without question proven to have a superior track record.

My issue is there's been far too much turnover in recent years, both on and off the field, so despite Levein not seeming like an ideal manager I feel it's important to establish some kind of consistency.

A lot of our core pieces like Souttar, Haring and Uche extended their contracts. They obviously have a belief in what this squad can go on to achieve if they are all kept together longer term. Now some might say "what's the point in a good squad if the managers shit?" but I don't think it's as black and white as that. Levein obviously has the support of the players. They're buying in to something. We know this squad is capable of playing great football with Levein at the helm. God knows what happened the second half of the season, but there's obviously some tweaks that need to be made. You don't just wake up shit overnight after leading the league for nearly 3 months. If there's a problem with levein's squad or tactics, I don't see why he can't be the best guy to work out the kinks and address his own weaknesses.

That said, this season was still a bit of laying down the foundations, and although the early goings were no fluke, we were maybe overachieving at that point, reaching too high, too far too soon etc.

I say give him another go and see what happens. We can't just keep hitting the reset button every off-season. That's not how successful teams are made. At some point we need to settle in for a longer rebuild and have more patience. I have confidence in the squad he's built/building, and if we give him more time with them, I think he can end up getting the best out of them. These things don't just take one season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

• Bridge of Djoum

No. It's not in the best interest of the clubs development to rip it up and start yet again.

We need stability and Craig in my eyes is still the man to bring that. As I mentioned on another thread yesterday, his first 2 seasons weren't particularly glamorous or great but from 2002/03 onwards, we were head an shoulders above everyone outside the OF. Also, whether or not people agree or want to admit it, statistically we have improved from last season.

Admittedly, the pressure is on and he needs to get it right, but I don't think he should be looking to roll the dice again.

PhoenixHearts
6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Before the cup final it would have been 70% for a new manager.

Play weĺl in a cup final that Levein actually prepared properly for and that's enough to change people's minds?

Idiots :rofl:

So you're saying that he can be a good manager when given time to prepare?

Then let's give him more time to prepare. Like, I dunno, another season with his own team.

1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

No, unless there is a clearly better candidate who is without question proven to have a superior track record.

My issue is there's been far too much turnover in recent years, both on and off the field, so despite Levein not seeming like an ideal manager I feel it's important to establish some kind of consistency.

A lot of our core pieces like Souttar, Haring and Uche extended their contracts. They obviously have a belief in what this squad can go on to achieve if they are all kept together longer term. Now some might say "what's the point in a good squad if the managers shit?" but I don't think it's as black and white as that. Levein obviously has the support of the players. They're buying in to something. We know this squad is capable of playing great football with Levein at the helm. God knows what happened the second half of the season, but there's obviously some tweaks that need to be made. You don't just wake up shit overnight after leading the league for nearly 3 months. If there's a problem with levein's squad or tactics, I don't see why he can't be the best guy to work out the kinks and address his own weaknesses.

That said, this season was still a bit of laying down the foundations, and although the early goings were no fluke, we were maybe overachieving at that point, reaching too high, too far too soon etc.

I say give him another go and see what happens. We can't just keep hitting the reset button every off-season. That's not how successful teams are made. At some point we need to settle in for a longer rebuild and have more patience. I have confidence in the squad he's built/building, and if we give him more time with them, I think he can end up getting the best out of them. These things don't just take one season.

I fully agree with you. Your post echoes my posts and feelings exactly but I particularly want to highlight your last point as being crucially important and spot on.

The idea of Craig and Ann has been since day 1 to turn the club into something self sufficient, that is competing with the OF. People need to realise that it's an ambition that will take an unspecified amount of time with limitless patience required. I've no doubts that their dream will come true but we need to just put faith in the powers that be and their judgement. Some of our fans our spoiled from the Vlad style. The style of Vlad was to pump the club with cash for quick success. A style that almost questioned our very existence. Doing it Ann and Craig's way will be so much more beneficial and satisfying, but as mentioned, it will take time. Thankfully, a lot of us realise that.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Before the cup final it would have been 70% for a new manager.

Play weĺl in a cup final that Levein actually prepared properly for and that's enough to change people's minds?

Idiots :rofl:

Win the cup, it would've been even lower.

Football is a fickle sport.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Fair enough, bud. 

A difference of opinion, whist remaining courteous and polite, is my kind of post exchange. :)

Edit: although I did call a dodgy poster a rude name a month or so back which I regret and apologise for. 

Agreed.

Maple Leaf

I think it's time to go back to the original plan, which had CL as DoF. Now we need to find a new manager who will bring fresh ideas to the field.

Who that might be, I've no idea.

PhoenixHearts
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

I fully agree with you. Your post echoes my posts and feelings exactly but I particularly want to highlight your last point as being crucially important and spot on.

The idea of Craig and Ann has been since day 1 to turn the club into something self sufficient, that is competing with the OF. People need to realise that it's an ambition that will take an unspecified amount of time with limitless patience required. I've no doubts that their dream will come true but we need to just put faith in the powers that be and their judgement. Some of our fans our spoiled from the Vlad style. The style of Vlad was to pump the club with cash for quick success. A style that almost questioned our very existence. Doing it Ann and Craig's way will be so much more beneficial and satisfying, but as mentioned, it will take time. Thankfully, a lot of us realise that.

Yup. I don't know if perhaps it's a generational thing these days where people require instant gratification. A side effect from being in the age of binge streaming and amazon prime next-day delivery, but patience for just about anything at all has gone out the window. Spoiled brats screaming "NOW NOW NOW".

And I say that as a 28 year old, bang in the middle of the millennial generation. I'm not some old coot whinging about how kids have it easy. I grew up on the Vlad stuff, but I at least realise the benefit of buying in to a long term project and exerting as much patience as I can (even if it's admittedly very hard at times).

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Yup. I don't know if perhaps it's a generational thing these days where people require instant gratification. A side effect from being in the age of binge streaming and amazon prime next-day delivery, but patience for just about anything at all has gone out the window. Spoiled brats screaming "NOW NOW NOW".

And I say that as a 28 year old, bang in the middle of the millennial generation. I'm not some old coot whinging about how kids have it easy. I grew up on the Vlad stuff, but I at least realise the benefit of buying in to a long term project and exerting as much patience as I can (even if it's admittedly very hard at times).

100% agree with this - ridiculous the amount of kicking and screaming on here

I voted no in this poll, which is contrary to my thoughts previously.

Perhaps still a bit emotional or sentimental after Saturday. Really wanted Craig to lead us to silverware. 

From reading the players’ interviews post match it is clear they are all well aware of the problem this season - the failure to consistently turn up and perform on a consistent basis.

Im maybe being deluded here, but I have a feeling Craig will sort this out over the summer. 

So, a no from me at the moment. I’ll revisit this once we have played a few league games and hopefully progressed in the league cup.

Tasavallan
37 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think it's time to go back to the original plan, which had CL as DoF. Now we need to find a new manager who will bring fresh ideas to the field.

Who that might be, I've no idea.

I would agree but the problem is if CL is tasked by the Board to find a head coach.  Just look at how the Cathro scenario worked out.

I recall back in Romanov's time, Hearts employed a (London based) headhunting company to find potential candidates for the manager position after Robbo was sacked.  The result was George Burley. 

52 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Great post. This is where I’m at begrudgingly. 

I voted for him to stay. Last chance saloon. What is imperative next season is he settles on a favoured formation. 4-2-3-1 suits us I reckon. Get some pace up there supporting the top striker and let Naismith float about as one of the three. 

Stop tinkering and mucking about. Against the rest of the teams stop worrying about them and impress on them our style and our ability. 

4 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

I voted for him to stay. Last chance saloon. What is imperative next season is he settles on a favoured formation. 4-2-3-1 suits us I reckon. Get some pace up there supporting the top striker and let Naismith float about as one of the three. 

Stop tinkering and mucking about. Against the rest of the teams stop worrying about them and impress on them our style and our ability. 

We did this at the start of the season. Naismith even said in an interview we were now in a place to not worry about others but focus on our game and imposing that. Then the injuries started and confidence fell and we regressed. Hopefully we can get back to it and maintain it. 

8 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 if we can find another decent winger. Don’t think 3 at the back suits us at all. And agree re:the tinkering. Let’s hope we don’t have many injuries and can play a settled team next season.

I simply cannot understand the argument as to stability.  It's almost ludicrous.

What stability have we had under Levein as "director of football" exactly?

We are on to our 3rd manager in 5 years, large turnover of players, erratic form, worrying number of injuries, players signed (on not negligible contracts) who are either unfit or nor fit for purpose etc etc etc

"Strong and stable" right enough.  

More like "stagnation"

Edited by ScoPo

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

I simply cannot understand the argument as to stability.  It's almost ludicrous.

We are on to our 3rd manager in 5 years, large turnover of players, erratic form, worrying number of injuries, players signed (on not negligible contracts) who are either unfit or nor fit for purpose etc etc etc

More like "stagnation"

??

11 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

The club is stable posting record numbers and generating more cash than ever before, I’d imagine that’s the stability people talk about.

You have to separate the off and on field activities.

The issue is Ann Budge is a temporary owner, she has a duty to every fan to ensure the club is handed over in good health. In Craig Levein she has a manager who she trusts to keep us stable, might not be to the fans liking but cup runs and top 6 finishes keep the status quo. After the Cathro disaster she’ll be very reluctant to make that sort of error again and with any new manager there’s no guarantees.

Unless CL himself decides to go or we’re in danger of a bottom 6 finish AB will keep him in charge.

That is the reality and no amount off keyboard bashing on here is going to change her mind.

Edited by Rudy T

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Locky said:

I appreciate the need for patience and a long-term view but your first sentence is Levein with his DoF/Board Member hat on and this question relates to his role as Head Coach. 

As soon as he took on the role he committed himself to being judged on results and, well, the jury is still very much out on that score. We can’t really be expected to have

limitless patience if results carry on  like this simply because Craig’s DoF plan demands stability which, in turn, makes his own Head Coach role untouchable. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

The club is stable posting record numbers and generating more cash than ever before, I’d imagine that’s the stability people talk about.

You have to separate the off and on field activities.

The issue is Ann Budge is a temporary owner, she has a duty to every fan to ensure the club is handed over in good health. In Craig Levein she has a manager who she trusts to keep us stable, might not be to the fans liking but cup runs and top 6 finishes keep the status quo. After the Cathro disaster she’ll be very reluctant to make that sort of error again and with any new manager there’s no guarantees.

Unless CL himself decides to go or we’re in danger of a bottom 6 finish AB will keep him in charge.

That is the reality and no amount off keyboard bashing on here is going to change her mind.

Is that not what a lot of people want Levein to do?

And I hope AB sees us as being better than simply a Top 6 club. 

15 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

More like "stagnation"

So you want to achieve real stability. By getting rid of the manager.

:kirk:

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

So you want to achieve real stability. By getting rid of the manager.

:kirk:

I am not particularly interested in stability.  Leave that to the St Johnstone's of this world.

Sometimes change leads to progress.   

I was simply making the point that if stability is your thing, Levein has not at all provided that.

Edited by ScoPo

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Is that not what a lot of people want Levein to do?

And I hope AB sees us as being better than simply a Top 6 club. 

Probably I was just clarifying what the stability is that posters mention.

I’m sure if she was here indefinitely she would but she’s not so she wants the club in good health when she hands it over. Top 6 ensures that.

1 minute ago, ScoPo said:

I am not particularly interested in stability.  Leave that to the St Johnstone's of this world.

Sometimes....

I’m sorry but i want stability and therefore a platform to ensure we move from Top6 to Top4 to challenging for Top2 every season. Takes time to do that. Foundations are in place. No argument anywhere we need to now step forward however and move to at least Top4 stability not just Top6. 

3 minutes ago, ScoPo said:

I'd rather be a St Johnstone than a Dundee United. ;) Stability is not an indicator of success but long-term success is usually built on it. And it doesn't need to mean stagnation.

May as well just keep him in charge,  can't do much worse than two 6th place finishes with our budget surely?  Things have to get better eventually and I'd rather Levein in charge than one of the coaches getting a promotion.

1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I as a 25 year old, fully agree.

siegementality
7 hours ago, Nobreath said:

Too many poor performances for too long. 

Agreed. It’s a yes from me. I can’t see what will change drastically enough to make an improvement.

Levein has had his day. He has had good financial backing from the club and the net result is some of the worst football I have seen for a long time. Happy for him to remain in DoF role, time for a new manager though.

Cruyff Turn

Levein should stay for next season.

The form is sackable, the league campaign has been horrendous, the style of football has been dire at times, but I think we’re on the cusp of building something great for the long term and a change now wouldn’t necessarily be for the better.

A new manager might not want to play youngsters or, even want rid off some of some our key players because they don’t suit his style.

The foundations are in place, there needs to be a long term outlook and we need to produce and play Academy players over the long term. That is very important.

We won’t suffer the injuries we have this season coming. The current squad will be fitter, more capable and more experienced next season. We need to add more quality and depth in midfield, the wide areas and upfront, which I think we will do and they will improve us.

The main thing for me is a change in style of play. The football has to be better. This season we were trying to get through games because half our team were toiling. Berra, Haring, big Uche we’re struggling through even when available and Naisy was a huge loss. I don’t see us having the same troubles next season and out of that injury crisis have emerged a good batch of youngsters and we’ve found Mulraney and Edwards. 

Howling season, bar the cup final but I think the long term outcome is healthy and I think it’s important Levein is here to oversee that next season. He knows what needs to happen, he knows what is expected and I don’t think he will falter next season, but it is his final opportunity as manager to push us forward. 

4 hours ago, Coco said:

I've picked up the career history wrongly.  Many apologies.

Fair play mate, apology accepted.

To also be fair, what you thought is exactly what the mainstream media would have you believe.

Bazzas right boot

Not only should he stay, I'd give him a year extension and a pay rise, especially on the back of the news about record turnover. 

The statue will need to wait until we win a trophy.

12 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Not only should he stay, I'd give him a year extension and a pay rise, especially on the back of the news about record turnover. 

The statue will need to wait until we win a trophy.

End of next season then?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, graygo said:

End of next season then?

?

colinmaroon
7 hours ago, jbee647 said:

He will suffocate all these young players attacking instincts I’m afraid

Levein has become an even more cautious manager as the years go by

He had a game plan on Saturday that almost worked (it didn’t), but it’s not his style or mindset to attack teams

eg Bordouex, we sat in, stole a late goal, but defended deep for 90 minutes, but in the second leg at home he didn’t know what to do, when we should have played a more positive style.

Saturdays performance was admirable, however no matter who the opposition was, Craig Levein would have set us up cautiously.

Time to go... but I’m certain he won’t, although the pitch forks will be out if we struggle to get out the League Cup section 

Yea!  You could see Hickey scared to go forward in the games he's played.

Ruined already!

Levein is staying whether some like it or not, personally whilst unhappy with the football I think one more season to see if he can do something and win or lose anything next year I think he should consider going. Ann budge however is 100% right in her statement that managers don’t get enough time and she’s a better business person/leader/manager/boss than 99.9 possibly 100% of the posters on here so as a business owner myself I’ll follow her. 

Calebs Grandad
8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

He got enough players this season and the team is 100% HIS. 

If he can’t get the best out of the players now what makes you 

think it will be any different with Academy youngsters ?

They could potentially be better than what we have at present? 

8 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

They could potentially be better than what we have at present? 

So what ? I want a manager that other clubs would love to have. Nobody except Cowdenbeath would want Levein and his pals. Our young players that do break through into the first team tend to go backwards and lose form and confidence is that what we are going to let happen ?

Inch Hearts
4 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

this is about Levein as a manager, not who he signed as manager - so stop using other managers as a stick to beat him with: therefore your points about Cathro results and Neilsons are irrelevant to this thread about the CURRENT hearts MANAGER (not DOF)

Ok. Based on manager alone and not on the academy.

Craig Levein has failed as hearts manager and deserves to be relieved of his duties.

Manager alone he’s been shit.

better? 

28 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Yea!  You could see Hickey scared to go forward in the games he's played.

Ruined already!

Give it time we’ve had lots of young lads coming into the first team and what happens they lose form and confidence and disappear. I want a manager that can put a team together that blends youthful talent and experienced professionals but i’m afraid Levein and his pals are not the right people. 

Calebs Grandad

So what? Isn’t that the point of an Academy? Produce youngsters that will improve the team and hopefully see us back at Hampden and challenging for 2nd or 3rd realistically. I’m happy to wait and see.

7 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

that's funny...by that logic it means that 47% of thread readers are Hibs fans, so effectively nearly half of kickbackers on here are hibbies?

Is that what you are saying?

It would explain a lot.

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It would explain a lot.

So you are hibs then, by that logic? ::troll::

PhoenixHearts
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Levein should stay for next season.

The form is sackable, the league campaign has been horrendous, the style of football has been dire at times, but I think we’re on the cusp of building something great for the long term and a change now wouldn’t necessarily be for the better.

A new manager might not want to play youngsters or, even want rid off some of some our key players because they don’t suit his style.

The foundations are in place, there needs to be a long term outlook and we need to produce and play Academy players over the long term. That is very important.

We won’t suffer the injuries we have this season coming. The current squad will be fitter, more capable and more experienced next season. We need to add more quality and depth in midfield, the wide areas and upfront, which I think we will do and they will improve us.

The main thing for me is a change in style of play. The football has to be better. This season we were trying to get through games because half our team were toiling. Berra, Haring, big Uche we’re struggling through even when available and Naisy was a huge loss. I don’t see us having the same troubles next season and out of that injury crisis have emerged a good batch of youngsters and we’ve found Mulraney and Edwards. 

Howling season, bar the cup final but I think the long term outcome is healthy and I think it’s important Levein is here to oversee that next season. He knows what needs to happen, he knows what is expected and I don’t think he will falter next season, but it is his final opportunity as manager to push us forward. 

That's the take. Cracked it.

4 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Great post. When was the last season where we just needed to recruit in 3 or 4 key positions? Levein got us there and should able to find those missing pieces of the puzzle. If he thought he couldn't he'd walk away this summer.

rudi must stay

Following on from one of the most organised and spirited performances I have seen in my many years as a Hearts Supporter

Yes he should. Plus our best players signed up to long term deals

Excuse me for being optimistic :D

Mr Elwood P

Out of interest what was the percentage of supporters on JKB that wanted Cathro out? Seem to remember multiple polls then as well?