***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Uche is not as good as some believe. But he's a very useful option to have in our team 

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Or maybe Uche doesn't always fully follow instructions from the coaches?

I have some doubt over him having the skill sets to play through the middle himself. He doesn't really see situations quickly, his passing isn't great and he's not a natural finisher. I would always try and focus on what he can do which is pull defenders out of place, run at them particularly down the outside and physically dominate. These are effective attributes in our league. 

25 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I reckon it’s pretty hard to “over-rate” our most prolific striker since Robertson, tbh. 

But each to their own. 

Calling him the most-prolific since Robbo is the definition of over rating, Andy Kirk, Gary McSwegan and Mark De Vries twice have all had better scoring league campaigns than Lafferty, Even Velicka was only one short. 

Finlay James
18 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I have some doubt over him having the skill sets to play through the middle himself. He doesn't really see situations quickly, his passing isn't great and he's not a natural finisher. I would always try and focus on what he can do which is pull defenders out of place, run at them particularly down the outside and physically dominate. These are effective attributes in our league. 

I agree, he was of course bought for his potential and if he reaches it, he will be unplayable.  I'm hoping that Naismith can bring the best out of him because, as you say, he really needs a partner to be at his most effective.  There no one like him in Scotland so he dan be a massive asset for us.

Cruyff Turn
21 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Uche is not as good as some believe. But he's a very useful option to have in our team 

When he’s fit and confident he’s a good weapon.

His size, strength, power, work rate and pace to will always be difficult to deal with.

But he’s not much of a footballer, first touch like a baby elephant, awareness at times is awful, gives away silly fouls, not the most composed and can’t seem to pass for toffee. Also, with that many muscles and his weight, fitness is always going to be an issue. 

That said, he’s the type of player teams need and I’d rather have him than not. Can’t see him being a regular starter once Naisy is ready. I think we’ll try to keep him fresh as much as we can to make an impact against our biggest competition this season.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

His size, strength, power, work rate and pace to will always be difficult to deal with.

But he’s not much of a footballer, first touch like a baby elephant, awareness at times is awful, gives away silly fouls, not the most composed and can’t seem to pass for toffee. Also, with that many muscles and his weight, fitness is always going to be an issue. 

That said, he’s the type of player teams need and I’d rather have him than not. Can’t see him being a regular starter once Naisy is ready. I think we’ll try to keep him fresh as much as we can to make an impact against our biggest competition this season.

I reckon he will play more home games than away games

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Do you think he would benefit from having a regular partner up front? Maybe help to simplify his decision making i.e. told what to do in certain scenarios, lay the ball off into this area, make this particular run. I suppose almost like American football plays. 

11 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree with this. Another drawback with Uche is that for such a big guy he appears to be hopeless when it comes to scoring with his head. He's not a natural striker but is a useful option to have.

A lot of people slag off Maclean, but he's a much more intelligent footballer than Uche. It's a pity we couldn't find someone who combines the strengths of both.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

He certainly looked like he has been a regular at Greggs over the summer. Seemed to be carrying quite a bit of excess weight last night. 

all about opinions of course, but he didn't look any different (size-wise) to me compared to last season. Hasn't he be beasting it in the gym pre season?

Not match fit and a tad rusty - yes, but didn't look overweight at all to me.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

The irony for Lafferty, he is a gamble, not sure its one I would want to manage. If he was a ball playing midfielder or enforcer, then its maybe a different story, but I cant see that he is needed, just don't see that transpiring myself

Good for Derek McInnes.

Who were these players - and I'm not alking about ones at the end of their comtracts?

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Patronising the boy over a guess, before constructing a scenario based entirely on guess work. 

Never change Kickback. 

It's one thing criticising with fact.  It's another with guesswork.

The people who want more signings are probably the ones who critcise for signing too many.

slashishere
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Itk.

I know he-haw apart from the fact this transfer thread has many topics - unfortunately not many about transfers  

(that said if a klaxon was to sound this afternoon - I would firmly say I was itk (( I'm not!))

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Good for Derek McInnes.

Who were these players - and I'm not alking about ones at the end of their comtracts?

Stevie May is the most recent, about to end. Managed to negotiate a quick end to the Irish alcoholics "comtract" whose sister died last winter, Reynolds moved on to United, Cammy Smith another who was shifted on. Sure there have been others.

Good for Derek McInnes :rofl:

sidjamesbottle
1 hour ago, Jodami said:

The Uche chat is interesting. Playing him in the formation we use doesn't suit him at all, he needs someone playing up front beside him. He could be a real weapon for us, quite often not even having to touch the ball to create the space for his partner to hurt teams. It's things like the way we employ Uche that makes you ask questions about the quality of our coaches. 

i was speaking to a coach from another premier league side who was along watching hearts his first observation to me was that we don't get another striker close enough to uche to get the best out of him

21 minutes ago, Barack said:

There's hardly an ounce of fat on Uche. 

Greggs. :lol:

I know, not sure what people see?

There’s no way Uche is Greggnant.

Jambof3tornado
49 minutes ago, S Form said:

Agree with this. Another drawback with Uche is that for such a big guy he appears to be hopeless when it comes to scoring with his head. He's not a natural striker but is a useful option to have.

A lot of people slag off Maclean, but he's a much more intelligent footballer than Uche. It's a pity we couldn't find someone who combines the strengths of both.

Macca uses his years of experience well. Uche for me stills makes the wrong decisions at times but that should get better. He needs to stay on his feet at times as refs give him nothing on the 50/50 front.

I think if he gets a few goals the confidence will grow.

A settled team around him can only bring out the best in him.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Uche needs to spend less time with iron in his hands and more time with the ball at his feet.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Uche needs to spend less time with iron in his hands and more time with the ball at his feet.

Correct, all this bulking up in the gym is just a bit too much. He needs to get back to doing some speed work and as you say, with the ball at his feet. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Is he taking in laundry? I thought he'd just signed a new contract. 

You're 100% right though! 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

The irony for Lafferty, he is a gamble, not sure its one I would want to manage. If he was a ball playing midfielder or enforcer, then its maybe a different story, but I cant see that he is needed, just don't see that transpiring myself

Lafferty carries an excessive amount of baggage and I can’t see it happening. Is he better than Uche, MacLean and Wighton? Yes he is.

Also be an IQ issue with KL

cant see that’s even a possibility 

in fact - taking players on loan from another team in the SPL / can’t see that either

I am sure better options have been selected 

41 minutes ago, 12XU said:

in fact - taking players on loan from another team in the SPL / can’t see that either

Have Dorrans and Lafferty not been told that they are free to find other clubs?

Selkirkhmfc1874
43 minutes ago, 12XU said:

No way levein would have lafferty back but Rangers would love to send one or two players out on loan in hope they hurt Celtic 

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I don't think you're allowed to loan more than one player from a single club. There was chat earlier today about us getting 2 from rangers on loan, but that doesn't sound possible 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, jamboj said:

I don't think you're allowed to loan more than one player from a single club. There was chat earlier today about us getting 2 from rangers on loan, but that doesn't sound possible 

How many did we have on loan from kaunas 😂😂

10 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Only 2 if they play in a different Scottish league.  So yeah, 1 per club.

23 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I'd take Dorrans

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Don't think you need a UEFA license to state the obvious.

What happened to Morrison Barack 

The Apprentice

By all accounts Greg Docherty had a really good loan spell at Shrewsbury last season (voted player of the year I think) and played around 50 games.  Still only 22 but has a good amount of senior appearances behind him already.  If he was available I'd take him definitely.

OmiyaHearts
37 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Hun in my work said they have been told to find a new team and they aren't even considered part of the first-team squad now.

21 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I'd take Dorrans

So would I ,  but not as a loan. If he’s been Told to find another club and his contract was terminated by Sevco I would love to see him here.

Edited by Deevers

Phil D. Corners
32 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Maybe rangers are so desperate to get rid of Lafferty that they are giving us Dorrans too. 😂

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Hun in my work said they have been told to find a new team and they aren't even considered part of the first-team squad now.

That’s certainly the story I heard recently from one of their supporters through west. They are apparently desperate to get Dorran and Lafferty off their payroll. 

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, Mort said:

Evidently I am guessing but would be concerned if funds were not set aside to obtain new players other than those we have already.

What about the wages of Vanecek, Hughes, Martin and Arnoud Djoum?

4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

We surely must have a decent amount of funds available given the season we just had and the number of players that have left.

So far we've lost

Djoum

Hughes

Vanecek

Sammon (might not have been paying all his wages, but probably most)

Godinho

Martin (we probably had to pay up most or all of his contract)

Mitchell (we might have been paying little or none of his wages)

Shaugnessey (ditto)

Lee (maybe)

We've brought in

Washington

Walker

Halkett

Naismith (soon)

Of the players we've lost, only the top five on that list will have definitely saved us any wages, Lee too when he goes. Naismith will be the highest paid of the lot when he comes in and our other three signings this summer will be among the highest (I'd guess Djoum, Sammon and Martin were all on a few quid too, but I doubt we saved much on Martin).

Taking an educated guess, wages in and wages out are probably quite well balanced except Levein's gone for quality over quantity like he said he would. He'll be keeping a big chunk of wages aside for Naismith and whatever's left maybe isn't enough for a player of real quality until Lee's wages are freed up. cosanostra is right when he says it's only our cup income from 18/19 that could make a difference, but maybe it's gone towards the stand debt? Put it this way, I don't think Levein is sitting on a war chest.

A_A wehatethehibs

The ship has sailed with Lafferty, we should not have sold him and we paid the price for not having the big man with us at Murrayfield and at Hampden. He paid the price too, he didn’t get the chance to play in those big games, he chose the wrong club. I just can’t see it working out if he comes back now. Let him stay at Rangers reserves then retire, he keeps cult hero status for some absolute classic performances against Celtic. In a few years once he’s finished playing we’ll just remember him for those great days. 

Dorrans if he’s back to full fitness definitely would be a certain starter every game here with our midfield problems. Would still feel we’d need to get an Adao type physical presence in for the clogfest games too though as we’re a bit lightweight in that area even if we add Dorrans quality on the ball. 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Stevie May is the most recent, about to end. Managed to negotiate a quick end to the Irish alcoholics "comtract" whose sister died last winter, Reynolds moved on to United, Cammy Smith another who was shifted on. Sure there have been others.

Good for Derek McInnes :rofl:

Under what terms?  They'll either have to come to a mutual agreement or pay up his contract.  Either way not a saving.

Reynolds signed for DUFC ON LOAN last season, signed a pre-cntract with them and could only have done so because his contract was coming to an end.  Cammy Smith moved for an undisclosed fee and I don't know if you know this but you can't transfer someone unless another club wants them.

So you're talking a load of p***:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Neither, firmly on the fence until I see us play quality opposition

You’ve been on and off that fence like a madman the last 12months. I’m not convinced about the midfield yet but think we have improved at the back - still would prefer a new keeper and I think up front we have better options. Walker is an upgrade and more creative , concerns over shoehorning players but we at least look like we have a plan again in games. Hard to tell at this stage tho when its a competitive friendly. Neither starting 11 so far would be a starting 11 when the season starts unless we were really hampered by injuries/suspensions.  

21 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If you are referring to Barack claiming itk on Morrison it wasn’t him a poster got the wrong poster when he guessed it would be Barack that said we were in for him.

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Encourage their agents to find them new clubs. As much as I dislike Derek McInnes, he seems to be pretty good at realising his mistakes and getting them out the door

Tbf i think he’s got pics of Milne in a compromising position being as Milne etc were thinking of getting rid and he’s got a new contract again and i can’t see it being the same wage so i’d guess now he’s almost gonna be on £3mil to get to the end of it. Lunacy

GorgieFifeLife
18 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

So far we've lost

Djoum

Hughes

Vanecek

Sammon (might not have been paying all his wages, but probably most)

Godinho

Martin (we probably had to pay up most or all of his contract)

Mitchell (we might have been paying little or none of his wages)

Shaugnessey (ditto)

Lee (maybe)

We've brought in

Washington

Walker

Halkett

Naismith (soon)

Of the players we've lost, only the top five on that list will have definitely saved us any wages, Lee too when he goes. Naismith will be the highest paid of the lot when he comes in and our other three signings this summer will be among the highest (I'd guess Djoum, Sammon and Martin were all on a few quid too, but I doubt we saved much on Martin).

Taking an educated guess, wages in and wages out are probably quite well balanced except Levein's gone for quality over quantity like he said he would. He'll be keeping a big chunk of wages aside for Naismith and whatever's left maybe isn't enough for a player of real quality until Lee's wages are freed up. cosanostra is right when he says it's only our cup income from 18/19 that could make a difference, but maybe it's gone towards the stand debt? Put it this way, I don't think Levein is sitting on a war chest.

Your probably right, he wont be sitting on a war chest and if we cant afford to bring quality in we shouldn't.  We maybe need to revise our expectations though because the current squad is not a top four one and will probably only challenge for a top 6 spot.

4 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Your probably right, he wont be sitting on a war chest and if we cant afford to bring quality in we shouldn't.  We maybe need to revise our expectations though because the current squad is not a top four one and will probably only challenge for a top 6 spot.

Who have the possible top 4 squads then?

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Calling him the most-prolific since Robbo is the definition of over rating, Andy Kirk, Gary McSwegan and Mark De Vries twice have all had better scoring league campaigns than Lafferty, Even Velicka was only one short. 

Did any of the above hit 19 goals for us in the same season?

42 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

I know the post you mean.

Wasn't serious. Was my jovial opinion.

19 minutes ago, sadj said:

If you are referring to Barack claiming itk on Morrison it wasn’t him a poster got the wrong poster when he guessed it would be Barack that said we were in for him.

It was my fault, not Mr Presidents.

I got the wrong end of the stick, sorry chaps.

I think Bongo is the person who claimed this Morrison thing.