***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

17 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

He can't really win. The squad is either too big and full of deadwood or "well short". The youngsters will provide back up while we find out if they are good enough to become regulars longer term. That's the whole point. Otherwise we'd never know and the "play the laddies/need more experience" cycle of tedium starts again.

Scottish teams can't afford quality back up in every position. He's made the first 11 stronger, which was the priority. Another decent CM who can act as short term cover for Haring then continue to do a job after he's back, plus Naismith finally signing, leaves  us in pretty good shape.

I suspect part of the problem is fans like signings and want to see as many as possible while the window is open whether they're actually needed or not.

Good post 👍

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Berras believer
31 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Uche

Washington

Naismith

MacLean

Keena

Henderson

That’s plenty.

Well from what I’ve seen Maclean and Henderson are basically rotten Naismith is better a wee bit further back not seen much of Washington but it looks like he is more holding and looking for a pass I he is good but gets knackered easily Keena hope to see more of him

A Hearts transfer thread and we now have the resident sheep fan ,talking crap about his clubs Euro record . Magic 

fabienleclerq

If we are only after one CM to replace /cover Haring then why did we try and keep Djoum? 

Big season ahead but ultimately probably a year too early to expect big things from players so young. I predict another average season but the youngsters getting plenty experience and then us seeing the benefits the year or two after. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Bighenry said:

A Hearts transfer thread and we now have the resident sheep fan ,talking crap about his clubs Euro record . Magic 

He’s actually a welcome change from the usual negativity towards whatever Levein has or hasn’t done. 

41 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

He can't really win. The squad is either too big and full of deadwood or "well short". The youngsters will provide back up while we find out if they are good enough to become regulars longer term. That's the whole point. Otherwise we'd never know and the "play the laddies/need more experience" cycle of tedium starts again.

Scottish teams can't afford quality back up in every position. He's made the first 11 stronger, which was the priority. Another decent CM who can act as short term cover for Haring then continue to do a job after he's back, plus Naismith finally signing, leaves  us in pretty good shape.

I suspect part of the problem is fans like signings and want to see as many as possible while the window is open whether they're actually needed or not.

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Two seasons where they won the title iirc 🤷🏻‍♂️

The quality of the player doesn’t matter, it’s the strategy/tactics that matter. By that logic you could say what’s the point in having a playmaker when they won’t be as good as Scholes or Pirlo?

How about Aberdeen an another example. Two hard working all round midfielders in Shinnie and Ferguson and then the creativity coming from the wider players.

Or Killie? Power and Dicker in the middle. Where’s their “playmaker”?

I think to an extent you are right but if that's the case then the reason we have been poor over the last three seasons is down to poor tactics/strategy. So if that is true then we need to fix that and the only way to do that is to replace the person who implements the tactics and strategies and not bother signing better players as the poor tactics will not improve the team.

43 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Agreed and to some extent we've become used to such a large turnover in players. We need to leave room for the young players to get serious game time or else what is the point in the academy?

Cochrane, Irving, Smith, Hickey, Zanatta, McDonald and Keena are effectively additions to this year's first team squad given the limited first team appearances they all had last season.

I agree with those saying that given Haring's injury, one more midfielder seems about enough.

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie

Still cn't believe we aren't pushing the boat out for Morrison/Mulumbu, proven spfl/international players but no doubt we will end up with some yourube diddy from the dutch 2nd division. Need a keeper too, I like Bobby but he is never a number 1.

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

James Morrison has never played in Scotland. Mulumbu has played 35 games in Scotland, out of 323 games. (transfermarkt)

Morrison is who I meant by international player if you even bothered to think about what you read? 

And Mulumbu done enough in 35 games to warrant giving him a contract and don't say he doesn't.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

This is an interesting place to be, especially as we kick off the league against Hearts in under three weeks time.

Unless you have any Hearts transfer information,  you are polluting the thread. 

**** off to the non Hearts one, I'm never on it.

There's a good troll

Alex Kintner
18 minutes ago, dougal said:

I think to an extent you are right but if that's the case then the reason we have been poor over the last three seasons is down to poor tactics/strategy. So if that is true then we need to fix that and the only way to do that is to replace the person who implements the tactics and strategies and not bother signing better players as the poor tactics will not improve the team.

Or hope that that person changes his tactics and strategies. Friday night suggests this will be the case 🤞🏻

Alex Kintner

Looking at four different options for the midfielder we will bring in. Levein wants to take time to get to look at them as people, not just as footballers, before making any offers though 👍🏻

Edited by To Be Frank

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

He will be winning when he creates competition for every place. 

We really are not remotely close right now 

1 hour ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

The problem was the amount of poor signing choices in recent seasons which has led us to here. I doubt there’d be much outcry or penchant for players if we hadn’t finished 5,6,6 in the last 3 seasons.

Thats football, sometimes fans are fickle but sometimes they are right to complain or be wary after poor spells. To expect the management to learn lessons and be better in the market and have the right amount of competent players in each area, even if they can rotate. (Touching on your point of realistic squad numbers). However,  I don’t believe for a minute we don’t have room for more players to bolster the squad in a telling sense.

Not just for the reason to have depth but to come in as a worthy addition to the balance. 

gowestjambo
3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Why is that so incredible? Lots of teams don’t have a playmaker in centre midfield. Depends what formation and strategy you’re playing with. 

Who was the playmaker in the Kanchelskis/Keane/Ince/Giggs midfield? Or the Ripley/Sherwood/Batty/Wilcox midfield? Or the Gillespie/Lee/Batty/Ginola midfield?

Great answer Frank, but not to my question......................

HotelMikeFoxtrotCharlie
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Morrison is an ex-international player. 

Mulumbu played 3 times for Celtic, then 6 (?) times, in the Premiership, for Killie on loan. 

Not even going to continue this debate with you anymore as you are clearly clueless. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, gowestjambo said:

Great answer Frank, but not to my question......................

Sure 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Or hope that that person changes his tactics and strategies. Friday night suggests this will be the case 🤞🏻

I hope that you're right!

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

As admirable as that is...I don't care if the person murders puppies during the week, and bag-snatches pensioners. 

As long as he does the job he's paid to do, & do it well. And obviously not go to jail for his abhorrent mid-week proclivities.👍🏻

Almost expected you to champion Scott Brown there. 👀

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

getting close in the attacking positions. 

I don't think so if I am honest.  Like for like with Naismith is impossible, but other positions should be. our squad is so diverse,  if one gets injured there's no natural like for like to play the position. 

Played a huge role in the slump imo

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, Barack said:

As admirable as that is...I don't care if the person murders puppies during the week, and bag-snatches pensioners. 

As long as he does the job he's paid to do, & do it well. And obviously not go to jail for his abhorrent mid-week proclivities.👍🏻

I think he means more in terms of their mentality and ability to perform under pressure.*

*As in “how will you feel when the fans get on your back and boo you for the slightest thing?”

Zlamal

Doyle

Smith

Brandon

Souttar

Berra

Halkett

Dikamona

White

Burns

Hickey

Walker

Morrison

Haring

Clare

Irving

Bozanic

Cochrane

Edwards

Lee

Moore

Mulraney

Naismith

Washington

Uche

Keena

McLean

Wighton

We’ve lost Godinho, Mitchell, Hughes and Dunne/Shaugnessy from last season and brought in Halkett and White.

Martin and Djoum have gone from the midfield with Walker the only addition.

Amankwaa and Vanecek are away and any financial commitment we had for Sammon has also gone. We’ve added Washington with Naismith to follow.

We could lose Burns, Bozanic, Edwards, Moore, Morrison, McLean and Wighton and it would make no real difference as they’ll contribute very little this season imo.

There is a lot of work needing done to get the squad streamlined and replacing the 7 or 8 fringe guys with 3 or 4 players that could actually make a real difference with increasing our wage bill. 

It can be done.

chester copperpot

So did that Hamilton guy mention what it was he had heard or is he still acting like a nob and not sharing it?

6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Zlamal

Doyle

Smith

Brandon

Souttar

Berra

Halkett

Dikamona

White

Burns

Hickey

Walker

Morrison

Haring

Clare

Irving

Bozanic

Cochrane

Edwards

Lee

Moore

Mulraney

Naismith

Washington

Uche

Keena

McLean

Wighton

We’ve lost Godinho, Mitchell, Hughes and Dunne/Shaugnessy from last season and brought in Halkett and White.

Amankwaa and Vanecek are away and any financial commitment we had for Sammon has also gone. We’ve added Washington with Naismith to follow.

We could lose Burns, Bozanic, Edwards, Moore, Morrison, McLean and Wighton and it would make no real difference as they’ll contribute very little this season imo.

There is a lot of work needing done to get the squad streamlined and replacing the 7 or 8 fringe guys with 3 or 4 players that could actually make a real difference with increasing our wage bill. 

It can be done.

What a good post.

I was at the Liverpool vs Spartans game tonight and Liverpool had a cracking player in the middle of the park pulling the strings (number 6) who would be a shout as I can’t imagine him forcing his way into their main team....right wing back Neco Williams was brilliant

HEARTS FOREVER
2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Uche

Washington

Naismith

MacLean

Keena

Henderson

That’s plenty.

How many goals?............not plenty.

5 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

How many goals?............not plenty.

Naismith could hit twenty this season.

Keena has scored a decent number of goals throughout his age groups.

Washington we don’t really know. He is a quality player, but don’t think he’s known as an out and out goal scorer.

Uche probably bag ten over three competitions but brings something different to the team.

McLean will chip in with a few when called upon.

Henderson we will just need to wait and see.

Dr Ian Malcolm
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

The problem was the amount of poor signing choices in recent seasons which has led us to here. I doubt there’d be much outcry or penchant for players if we hadn’t finished 5,6,6 in the last 3 seasons.

Thats football, sometimes fans are fickle but sometimes they are right to complain or be wary after poor spells. To expect the management to learn lessons and be better in the market and have the right amount of competent players in each area, even if they can rotate. (Touching on your point of realistic squad numbers). However,  I don’t believe for a minute we don’t have room for more players to bolster the squad in a telling sense.

Not just for the reason to have depth but to come in as a worthy addition to the balance. 

The squad has been bolstered tellingly though - three players who have been signed to improve the first team while the youngsters who deserve it have been used to supplement those along with existing squad players.

Signing another six or seven players purely add depth doesn't make sense - we then end up a year from now with more complaints that too many players aren't good enough, the squad is too big and a clear out is needed - again, apparently.

We we need cover in one position because our main man there is taking longer to recover than anticipated, with our best player to sign and offer another attacking option in a couple of weeks. That's pretty good going.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

True but as he has done no pre-season work as far as I understand it would still be unlikely that he will be fit for the start of the season even if the 2nd opinion is different. He still seems to have pain so unlikely that he will be able to train.

“It’s just pain” Jurgen Klopp talking about the words he loves to hear from his players. Haring has played with it before, about two months so I wouldn’t rule it out.

But yes it is likely he will be out and Levein said he was going to take his time to find another midfielder, indicating they haven’t been looking or have someone lined up unfortunately.

Edited by Pasquale for King

August Landmesser
8 hours ago, Barack said:

David Goodwillie could do a job.

GorgieRules22
7 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

So did that Hamilton guy mention what it was he had heard or is he still acting like a nob and not sharing it?

He’s gone into hiding but I have a feeling I know the name that was mentioned to him and it isn’t a midfielder.

Leveins Battalion

Levein managed to sign decent midfielders when Chris Robinson forced him to slash the wage bill year upon year,I'm sure that hes aware that we are so weak in this area and require some experienced quality.

GorgieRules22
7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Levein managed to sign decent midfielders when Chris Robinson forced him to slash the wage bill year upon year,I'm sure that hes aware that we are so weak in this area and require some experienced quality.

Let’s not wait then eh.

Who_put_the_ball_in...

The window is open until the end of August and free agents can still join after then. People need to stop wetting their pants.

2 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

The window is open until the end of August and free agents can still join after then. People need to stop wetting their pants.

This

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Let’s not wait then eh.

Aye, because players won't have several offers from several clubs. 

It's just us, no one else who wants players. 

Players won't consider different offers. 

Go out, get one, job done. It's that easy in our financial market place. 

Too many folk play fifa. 

Mr Elwood P
8 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Zlamal

Doyle

Smith

Brandon

Souttar

Berra

Halkett

Dikamona

White

Burns

Hickey

Walker

Morrison

Haring

Clare

Irving

Bozanic

Cochrane

Edwards

Lee

Moore

Mulraney

Naismith

Washington

Uche

Keena

McLean

Wighton

It can be done.

Jesus Christ, Burns and Morrison are teenagers! 

How, in your transfer master plan, are we moving on 7 or 8 fringe players without paying up the full cost of their contracts?

GorgieRules22
8 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Too many folk play fifa. 

We have known since January that the chances of keeping Djoum were slim and we’ve known since May that Haring was injured......get your head out the sand.

Who_put_the_ball_in...
9 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Too many folk play fifa. 

Players become available as the window progresses. Teams will make signings meaning other players will suddenly be surplus to requirment.

13 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Yes but you said you wanted to avoid the youngsters having to be parachuted in. Surely getting rid of all your squad midfielders and relying only on Haring and One Other means you’re two injuries away from two youngsters in midfield?

I prefer the current approach. Levein could have went with Bozanic on Friday but felt Irving merited a start. If they are good enough they will play. 

You’re not gonna get a season out of them tho TBF and that’s the worry for me. I want to see more of them but I don’t want to have to rely on them, if that makes sense

13 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

Not necessarily and I think we have to give them a chance otherwise why have an Academy.

Lee and Djoum leave, Haring is injured and we’re not weaker than last season?

I like Cochrane but he still seems too weak physically to do the job we’re looking for him to do.

I thought Irving had a very good game Friday but playing them week in week out could break them. Naismith will make a big difference but if, and it’s not really that big an if TBH he was injured/suspended we are definitely weaker in the middle, IMO

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

I worry more about Haring/Djoum and Berra, and goalie positions.

Attacking wise, I think we have a lot of options.  

We had options last year, the problem  is not good ones for the player we are trying to cover for

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

We have known since January that the chances of keeping Djoum were slim and we’ve known since May that Haring was injured......get your head out the sand.

And? 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Players become available as the window progresses. Teams will make signings meaning other players will suddenly be surplus to requirment.

Ofc. 

Some folk don't get that tho. 

26 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Factually correct but I think we've seen how long it can take players to regain their match fitness if they've been without a club. Also the sooner players join the quicker they and the team should gel and get to know tactics etc. Might not seem too important but if players join after league season has joined and aren't on the same wavelength as the rest of the squad straight away some of the fans will get on their backs straight away (doesn't help the player or the team, but does still happen). There also seems to be the fact that fans believe the better players will be snapped up quickly so if we don't make a move we will miss out on better quality players. So I think that's why the fans want players in early. But you are right that there's plenty of time left. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
28 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jesus Christ, Burns and Morrison are teenagers! 

How, in your transfer master plan, are we moving on 7 or 8 fringe players without paying up the full cost of their contracts?

Thought it was a good post to be honest. Speculating what we should be looking at. Quite a few of those players are more than likely not going to create the competition needed to step up levels, we will tread water with them.

Great post that demonstrated the squad and the value within it to be honest

Edited by Sir Gio