***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

52 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

I think tonight showed that Sean Clare is not the answer in centre midfield.

In a game against some Championship plodders at home he should be grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and dominating that area.  He didn't even come close.

I hope CL goes for 2 CM's as I just don't see it working with Clare.

Fixed.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, dougal said:

I don't know, but that's what scouts etc are for. We should have a list of available players and players we have scouted and be able to identify someone from there that can do the required job. There have been various names mentioned, a few of them would appear to fit the bill but whether wages will be the problem remains to be seen.

It's quite anazing how people like you are brilliant at telling everybody what's wrong but devoid of ideas as to what is right.

How do you know they don't have a list of avaialable players etc?

How do you know they haven't approached these players that you say fit the bill?

How do you know wages haven't been the problem?  Will it ever remain to be seen?

You clearly think the club is wandering around with their eyes shut and only intelligent people like you know the score.

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It's quite anazing how people like you are brilliant at telling everybody what's wrong but devoid of ideas as to what is right.

How do you know they don't have a list of avaialable players etc?

How do you know they haven't approached these players that you say fit the bill?

How do you know wages haven't been the problem?  Will it ever remain to be seen?

You clearly think the club is wandering around with their eyes shut and only intelligent people like you know the score.

You know if it was my job and I had a whole back room of staff and scouts then yes I would have a very good idea of the player(s) that is like to bring in. As it is I've got my own job to do and I can assure you if I performed my job like Levein has over the last 2 years I would be looking for a new one. 

Just because a fan or in this case lots of fans don't have the name of a player or players that the club should sign doesn't mean that they're wrong about what the team is missing or requires to perform better. It's a lot like those fans who wanted to stick with Levein because they couldn't think of a suitable replacement. Doesn't make it the right decision. 

We played a team from a lower division at home and won via penalties. Now yes we did play pretty well and did dominate but bottom line is we effectively drew the game. It was quite clear to see that against better teams and better midfields that on current form we are going to struggle unless we bring in some better calibre players for the midfield. If people are happy that we didn't beat Dundee United within 90 minutes then that's up to them but in all honesty we should be battering lower league teams especially at home and the fact we didn't is worrying.

I do realise that the league cup in this format is effectively like pre-season but truth is it's one of only two trophies we can realistically have a chance of winning so we need to treat It as such and get wins and not just be happy that we played some decent football.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, dougal said:

You know if it was my job and I had a whole back room of staff and scouts then yes I would have a very good idea of the player(s) that is like to bring in. As it is I've got my own job to do and I can assure you if I performed my job like Levein has over the last 2 years I would be looking for a new one. 

Just because a fan or in this case lots of fans don't have the name of a player or players that the club should sign doesn't mean that they're wrong about what the team is missing or requires to perform better. It's a lot like those fans who wanted to stick with Levein because they couldn't think of a suitable replacement. Doesn't make it the right decision. 

We played a team from a lower division at home and won via penalties. Now yes we did play pretty well and did dominate but bottom line is we effectively drew the game. It was quite clear to see that against better teams and better midfields that on current form we are going to struggle unless we bring in some better calibre players for the midfield. If people are happy that we didn't beat Dundee United within 90 minutes then that's up to them but in all honesty we should be battering lower league teams especially at home and the fact we didn't is worrying.

I do realise that the league cup in this format is effectively like pre-season but truth is it's one of only two trophies we can realistically have a chance of winning so we need to treat It as such and get wins and not just be happy that we played some decent football.

Levein has been given a much bigger job by Budge than to finish in Europe every season. That's why he's still manager.

Prior to the game BT showed a graphic detailing ins and outs over the close season. Nine away and three in, albeit Naismith was listed as former and is hopefully/definitely the latter.

When presented as succinctly it looked on the face of it very good business.

The three new signings combined with the glut of youngsters, collectively already looking like they can slot in nicely.

Big Peter and Naismith as more than likely definite starters to add in. Its not even obvious who will be this years whipping boy for the Negative Nellies. Out with Levein of course.

If there’s another one or two quality names in the planning there are certainly reasons to be cheerful. 

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, dougal said:

It’s the 12th of July. 😂

Dry your eyes ffs! 

crying-leo.gif?resize=427,311

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, RENE said:

Thought Clare played well there tonight.  He was invoked a lot and made some telling tackles.  His corners and free kicks on the other hand...

It was the most involved he's been in a Hearts jersey. Looked very assured and attacking minded in the role. 

But in tougher games you will need a stronger ball winner than him and I suppose you'd move him forward

12 minutes ago, dougal said:

So after all that huff and puff, the answer is that you have no idea.

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So after all that huff and puff, the answer is that you have no idea.

I can give you a list of players if you want. Doesn't mean anything.

People have already mentioned

Mulumbu

Adam

Morrison

Bridcutt

Plus some current free agents

Mehdi Abeid

Josh McEachran 

Gael Bigirimana 

Lewis McGugan

Tom Soares 

Jason Puncheon

Jonathan Williams

Stephen Ireland

Emre Colak 

Lee Cattermole

Johannes Geis 

Pretty sure some of those guys would probably be outside our budget but a quick search and there appears to be literally thousands of players out of contract.

As I said, it's not my job to do the scouting etc, but there are certainly names out there that would do a job for us.

Holyrood_Hearts

I thought Clare did well tonight. Tbh I was more disappointed with Irving. 

I was really looking forward to see Andy but he looks like someone who wants to do the nice stuff but not get stuck into challenges. Maybe he’s too nice to play CM. 

3 minutes ago, dougal said:

Mulumbu

Adam

Morrison

Bridcutt

Mehdi Abeid

Josh McEachran 

Gael Bigirimana 

Lewis McGugan

Tom Soares 

Jason Puncheon

Jonathan Williams

Stephen Ireland

Emre Colak 

Lee Cattermole

Johannes Geis 

Pretty sure some of those guys would probably be outside our budget but a quick search and there appears to be literally thousands of players out of contract.

As I said, it's not my job to do the scouting etc, but there are certainly names out there that would do a job for us.

I didn't say it was your job.  You can have that argument with yourself and I hope you win

I asked who you thought (realistically) could cure the problem you identified.

You have given a copious list.  From that list, do you know if we have approached any/all of them and what was the result?  You appear to assume we have done little or nothing.

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, dougal said:

Mulumbu

Adam

Morrison

Bridcutt

Mehdi Abeid

Josh McEachran 

Gael Bigirimana 

Lewis McGugan

Tom Soares 

Jason Puncheon

Jonathan Williams

Stephen Ireland

Emre Colak 

Lee Cattermole

Johannes Geis 

Geis and Cattermole fit the bill from that. 3 pages full of free agents on transfermarkt. But from it the one that makes the most sense, with SPL experience, is Mulumbu.

The rest are attacking minded (as an aside I rate Puncheon, whoever gets him is getting a good player for nothing)

Liam Bridcutt would be a cracking signing. 

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Levein confirmed in post-match interview that we’ll be bringing in at least one midfielder, a “strong player to protect the ball players.”

Also said he wants to take his time and find the right player 👍🏻

Thats encouraging to hear. I would have loved to have seen Tziolis in a more settled team. He was an absolute Rolls Royce of a player surrounded with the footballing equivalent of Fiat Puntos. Kinda sounds like he's not necessarily looking domestically which is frustrating. Mulumbu would probably be my first choice.

Bit left field, but Iain Wilson at Killie seems to be well quoted. Only 20, defensive midfielder but would cost a fee. Reckon Levein is maybe looking for experience if Harings fitness proves unreliable. Cattermole might be a good option if he could be tempted, reckon he'd be absolutely victimised by the trash we have to call referees up here though.

10 hours ago, Markymark said:

That’s because he’s an arrogant prick that has complete disregard for the fans paying their hard earned cash to watch the crap he serves up. 

Thought Djoum was going to resign and it’s bit him on the arse. If he thinks losing Djoum, Haring (injured for how long is anyone’s guess) and possibly olly lee and bringing in Cochrane, Zanatta and Irving makes us stronger he really is losing his fecking marbles - clearly mid table mediocrity is acceptable now to our board and why shouldn’t it be when over 12000 fans have renewed 🤷‍♂️

How’s your Hsl shares doing💰💰💰

27 minutes ago, dougal said:

Mulumbu

Adam

Morrison

Bridcutt

Mehdi Abeid

Josh McEachran 

Gael Bigirimana 

Lewis McGugan

Tom Soares 

Jason Puncheon

Jonathan Williams

Stephen Ireland

Emre Colak 

Lee Cattermole

Johannes Geis 

Tell me you didn’t suggest Tom Soares as a potential signing for us 😂

Tom Soares

Good player who has excelled in a Scottish Cup final - oh, wait a minute.

Edited by JamboAl

2 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Levein confirmed in post-match interview that we’ll be bringing in at least one midfielder, a “strong player to protect the ball players.”

Also said he wants to take his time and find the right player 👍🏻

What about a ball player who can drive forwards?

3 hours ago, Le Chat said:

I think tonight showed that Sean Clare is not the answer in centre midfield.

In a game against some Championship plodders at home he should be grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and dominating that area.  He didn't even come close.

I hope CL goes for 2 CM's as I just don't see it working with Clare in there.

Said this on another thread 

if he is to be moved to CM there is no doubt he has ability and can play forward (needs to dig in a bit more and become a nuisance), that said, I worry that he won’t be able to do the defensive side 

unless Craig is going to give him a specific role that works for him in the heart of the team I still think we need another player in there and who can fulfill all the CM requirements 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, pablo said:

Bit more than 4 months wasn't it? 

It was 16 months my bad, got my years mixed up.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

I'd be more than happy just to get a ball player who can reverse... 

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I didn't say it was your job.  You can have that argument with yourself and I hope you win

I asked who you thought (realistically) could cure the problem you identified.

You have given a copious list.  From that list, do you know if we have approached any/all of them and what was the result?  You appear to assume we have done little or nothing.

I really hope that we are looking for some new players and Levein did say that he was looking for a player to protect our footballing players in his latest interview but personally I feel we need a playmaking midfielder and a box to box player. Now it could be that he thinks someone we already have can fill these rolls and he's concentrating on someone to win the ball in the middle and protect the defence. However looking at our current squad I genuinely don't believe we have players to fill where I think we're short. Others may disagree and some might agree but based on his last interview it doesn't look like he's addressing the area I feel needs most addressed.  Time will obviously tell and he'll have to live and die by the results the team gets on the park. But I'm not alone in saying if he has another mediocre season then he has to go.

Edited by dougal

4 minutes ago, dougal said:

Double post

Edited by dougal

56 minutes ago, dougal said:

I really hope that we are looking for some new players and Levein did say that he was looking for a player to protect our footballing players in his latest interview but personally I feel we need a playmaking midfielder and a box to box player. Now it could be that he thinks someone we already have can fill these rolls and he's concentrating on someone to win the ball in the middle and protect the defence. However looking at our current squad I genuinely don't believe we have players to fill where I think we're short. Others may disagree and some might agree but based on his last interview it doesn't look like he's addressing the area I feel needs most addressed.  Time will obviously tell and he'll have to live and die by the results the team gets on the park. But I'm not alone in saying if he has another mediocre season then he has to go.

I'm sure one of the catering staff can do that but, joking apart, you appear to be deliberately evasive.  If you do come up with a name(s), how do you know we haven't tried and have either failed or are still waiting for an answer.  He could even be another of these "13 month" players?  I didn't see the interview with CL last night but apparently he again said he is hoping to sign someone soon.

Your last sentence gives the show away - it's yet another anti CL rant.  Of course you're not alone nor do you have anything new to say.

Edited by JamboAl

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'm sure one of the catering staff can do that but, joking apart, you appear to be deliberately evasive.  If you do come up with a name(s), how do you know we haven't tried and have either failed or are still waiting for an answer.  He could even be another of these "13 month" players?  I didn't see the interview with CL last night but apparently he again said he is hoping to sign someone soon.

Your last sentence gives the show away - it's yet another anti CL rant.  Of course you're not alone nor do you have anything new to say.

I'm not being evasive.  I genuinely don't know who or if we have approached players to address our midfield deficiencies. I really hope he has and we're in advanced talks with them but I can't say because I'm not in the know at all. 

It's not a anti Levein rant at all. If the team doesn't improve after three seasons then it doesn't matter who the manager is they have to go. It's that simple.

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Thread Bans should be issued.....

Yup.

BTW I'd be very happy if we were in for Bridcutt. Very good player imo.

23 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

No potential signings spotted at the game last night then? Just checking.

Nobody really knows when we will complete our signings .

One thing for certain , despite what some say , is that we are/have been looking at players and talking to agents for some time .

CL seems to be indicating this will happen sooner rather than later .

We , and other teams , sometimes pursue a player for months .

Most of us know how this works . The ones banging on about us not addressing the problem are either terminally stupid or , again , looking for an excuse to have a pop

Mr Elwood P
9 hours ago, Gambo said:

Sean Clare, Jamie Walker, Conor Washington and Jake Mulraney!

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Agreed ! Some just look for negativity that isn't even there 

8 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Exactly this!

Alex Kintner
9 hours ago, Gambo said:

2 hours ago, dougal said:

I don’t see a need to have a “playmaking midfielder” and a “box to box midfielder” when we’re playing the formation we did last night. Ideally you want someone who is a bit of both to play alongside a more defensive midfielder. It’s about getting two players who compliment each othee’s styles and also bring the wider/creative players like Mulraney, Walker, Naismith and the strikers into the game.

Classic midfield combos like Ince/Keane or Sherwood/Batty did exactly that for Premiership winning teams. You don’t always need a Pirlo or Scholes-type in there if you’ve two creative players on either side. I could see Haring/Clare working well but to be honest could pretty much see Haring/anybody working well such is my faith in Haring!

I think in that set-up last night the ideal midfield duo would be Haring/Djoum but we’ll never see that now unfortunately. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Can’t wait to see what happens when Naismith is back - linking with the above will be a joy to watch 

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Can’t wait to see what happens when Naismith is back - linking with the above will be a joy to watch 

Indeed. Uche offers another option and creates space for the more naturally skilful players. We also have Morrison, Zanatta and McDonald knocking on the first team door. We’re a good centre mid away from a very balanced and very attaching starting 11. Can’t wait to see Naismith playing with Walker.  

attacking options looking very good once Naisy comes back. A quality midfielder to anchor them is all that’s needed. Like to try and combine Djoum’s and Lee’s wages assuming he finds himself something to get that extra bit of quality in 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, EIEIO said:

No potential signings spotted at the game last night then? Just checking.

Saw Tom Soares

His leg was in a cast

Edited by rudi must stay

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Nobody really knows when we will complete our signings .

One thing for certain , despite what some say , is that we are/have been looking at players and talking to agents for some time .

CL seems to be indicating this will happen sooner rather than later .

We , and other teams , sometimes pursue a player for months .

Most of us know how this works . The ones banging on about us not addressing the problem are either terminally stupid or , again , looking for an excuse to have a pop

Correct.

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Some actually thrive on spreading this negativity. Same people on almost every thread. Totally tedious.

3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Some actually thrive on spreading this negativity. Same people on almost every thread. Totally tedious.

I just wish they would pipe down and wait to see how we do this year

Some boy just messaged off the ball writing Hearts off already, allegedly a Hearts fan wonder if he posts on here.

2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Some boy just messaged off the ball writing Hearts off already, allegedly a Hearts fan wonder if he posts on here.

Did he mention we signing anybody? Otherwise wrong post

Just now, bazman said:

Did he mention we signing anybody? Otherwise wrong post

Cant remember but as (ir)relevant as most recent posts on this thread.

gorgieheart
4 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Is there actually any transfer news to discuss on the transfer news thread? 🤷‍♂️

Nope just miserable folk bumping their gums at each other....!  

Byyy The Light

Just watching the game back on BT as I missed it last night as I was at the Scottish Open.

I think Irving is going to be the missing link in midfield. Given a run of games he’ll physically mature and he’s got all the attributes to be the midfielder we need. Ghosts past players, can pick a pass and isn’t afraid to mix it. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Just watching the game back on BT as I missed it last night as I was at the Scottish Open.

I think Irving is going to be the missing link in midfield. Given a run of games he’ll physically mature and he’s got all the attributes to be the midfielder we need. Ghosts past players, can pick a pass and isn’t afraid to mix it. 

Definitely, needs to fill out and then use that strength to be more physical. Love a midfielder that can see a forward pass, he can also make it too. Being left footed will help him progress in the game. He, Mulraney and Hickey were causing real problems in the first half until Utd covered that side a bit more.

tambothejambo

I know a lot of people have been looking for hearts to sign another Midfielder before the start of the season.

If we do sign another midfielder would it not then limit the game time required for the likes of Irving, McDonald, Cochrane and Smith to develop.

I’d personally leave the squad as is 

The fact is we’d no left back and hey presto we’ve played a youngster and now hickey is flourishing.

i see enough in the young lads that can play midfield to trust that given game time and a wee bit of patience they can develop into starters.

Thats what the youth systems for, too often I think we’re pressurised into bringing in people who may be no better than what’s in our academy.

We need a squad with experience, quality and potential. Younger players lose form and we saw what injuries did to our season last year.

We've lost our main central midfielder and our set piece specialist and it would be ridiculous to not replace them.

Also Naismith and Walker are two of the most injury prone players we've got. 

We need more midfielders and they need to be first team ready.

Personally i would like to see us sign another winger and front man first.

Although another central midfielder would be nice, if lee stays i think with haring clare irving cochrane edwards boznaic we would be okay in there.

Friday night we lacked creativity off the bench, once uche was knackered we had no other option to score a goal and zanatta looked lost compared to mulraney when he came on.

Cochrane and Irving are ready to compete.  Smith is a bit younger, I wouldn't be adverse to him going on loan til January to see how he gets on.