***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

6 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Nope, not really. He's had occasional moments in his career where he's had some success, but generally I'd say he's underperformed. That's why he's not won anything with any club he's ever been at. Nothing against the guy personally, but great things won't happen while he's in charge imo.

Ok, who would you hire, realistically, for the job that’s had a successful management career including winning trophies as a manager?  

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

25 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Clare may be the surprise as a box to box, playmaker is what I would like, time on the ball,  passer,  strong on the ball,  bringing other players into the game 

He Doesn't have the heart for it I'm afraid 

I'd love him to prove me wrong though 

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

He Doesn't have the heart for it I'm afraid 

I'd love him to prove me wrong though 

Impossible to know that for certain. He's a very young player who last season was playing in new league and coming back from a serious injury. Cameron and Hartley were 23 and 26 respectively when they arrived at Hearts. Plenty time for Sean Clare to step up and grow into the role. He undoubtably has a lot of natural talent and athletic qualities. He could prove to be a fantastic player for us.

8 hours ago, graygo said:

It would be worth it for that alone. 😉

Indeed. 

We have had some amazing quality midfielders over the years. Just doesnt seem right not to have a “hero” in that position for so long. Skacel & Hartley were the last ones. I know theyre like hens teeth but surely we should be offering a decent salary to attract one? Thats the position that makes a team tick, can change a game and is whats missing in our team (apart from a goal scorer but at least thats been looked at). 

If you look at the top 6 clubs, every one has a talisman midfielder. We have (had) Djoum!

10 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

2 more being worked on. Barring nobody else going out or an unexpected coup then that's about all to happen. 

Any idea what position the 2 play?

10 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

2 more being worked on. Barring nobody else going out or an unexpected coup then that's about all to happen. 

Is Naismith one of the 2?

55 minutes ago, jambo_No5 said:

Any idea what position the 2 play?

No ideas but would imagine a defensive mid to cover for Haring and a wide player as he wants to play Clare and Walker more centrally apparently.

On 11/07/2019 at 10:05, Sid said:

I share the frustrations of last season but rather than basing you barometer on looking back, the position today compared to last Season is  : - 

1.  We have a spine of a team on longer term contracts. 

2. Central defence has been strengthened to the point that we may not be able to accommodate an SPL captain. 

3. Naismith is all but permanent. 

4. Academy is one year closer to feeding first team. 

5. We have offloaded some of the baggage (salmon and Martin, Lee not baggage but deemed not the standard we need going forward). 

6. We have signed 10-goal plus winger, proven in SPL (Walker). 

There are still some risks/unknowns - White may or may not deliver. Striker may or may not deliver. We may still have a lot of injuries this Season as we have built up squad of players with historic injuries. 

We need CDM addition. 

However, I would deem all of that as progress. Doesn’t mean we won’t lose to Utd or start slow in the League but I have confidence “progress” is being made. 

What, if any, of above is not progress?  

I've never said that there's been no progress on other matters but in terms of league position there hasn't been any progress made in the last 2 seasons. 

Having some players in longer contracts while it protects the club as it will require a fee for them to move does not guarantee better performances/results.

Agree that central defence is stronger on paper but unsure as you have said how we accommodate three good centre backs, because we've looked pretty ropey when playing three at the back recently.

Naismith is a big plus but that's only if he can stay fit. We saw what happened last season.

It's all very good having academy players coming through but they've got to be the required standard. Now it does look like we may have 4 or 5 who have the standard required but they'll need time to bed in with the team and putting them all in at once isn't going to happen and trying to bring them into a team which is struggling isn't great either so we need to be performing well to allow the easiest transition for these guys but then if we're doing well do we want to upset the balance by dropping players. One of the things I've most disliked about Levein over the last couple of seasons is his inability to pick the same team. I know that they try to pick teams based on how certain players or teams play but it's no good. It must surely dent the confidence of players who have a good game or good run of games to be dropped because management think a player who's been on the bench for a month will do better in the next game. Get a settled team and if the players are playing well. Keep them in until they're not or they're injured. 

While off loading players is progress financially it does nothing to improve the team's performances unless they use the money saved to get players in to improve the team and in the positions that need it most.

Jamie Walker may be a decent pick up but we'll have to see. Can he stay fit?? He did well for us a few years ago but I think we can all agree that Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie are all stronger than when he was last here so he may not be able to reproduce his previous form.

All in all if I'm honest I don't see progress of the playing staff in the areas we most need addressing. Yeah we've tied down some players and off loaded some but not addressed the weakest area of the team and are weaker currently than we were last year.

Edited by dougal

14 minutes ago, dougal said:

I've never said that there's been no progress on other matters but in terms of league position there hasn't been any progress made in the last 2 seasons. 

Whether people like or not, injuries to key players, often at the same time, played a major part in this.  We were top of the league before the injuries kicked in and disgraceful reffing decisons definitely cost points.  I think we've been over this same ground a hundred times at least.

Having some players in longer contracts while it protects the club as it will require a fee for them to move does not guarantee better performances/results.

Tell me the name of any club or manager who signs players that can GUARANTEE better performances or results?  Mourinho with Pogba and Sanchez?

Agree that central defence is stronger on paper but unsure as you have said how we accommodate three good centre backs, because we've looked pretty ropey when playing three at the back recently.

I'm sure we'll go with 3 at the back some games and 4 in other games  and, yes, CD idoes look stronger

Naismith is a big plus but that's only if he can stay fit. We saw what happened last season.

So where are we geting the money to get another Naismith to put in when he's injured?  We were lucky to have him.

It's all very good having academy players coming through but they've got to be the required standard. Now it does look like we may have 4 or 5 who have the standard required but they'll need time to bed in with the team and putting them all in at once isn't going to happen and trying to bring them into a team which is struggling isn't great either so we need to be performing well to allow the easiest transition for these guys but then if we're doing well do we want to upset the balance by dropping players. One of the things I've most disliked about Levein over the last couple of seasons is his inability to pick the same team. I know that they try to pick teams based on how certain players or teams play but it's no good. It must surely dent the confidence of players who have a good game or good run of games to be dropped because management think a player who's been on the bench for a month will do better in the next game. Get a settled team and if the players are playing well. Keep them in until they're not or they're injured. 

We might manage that if we don't have ANY injuries.  You can't play injured players for the sake of a settled team.  And how are we going to blood youth if we don't change the team from time to time?

While off loading players is progress financially it does nothing to improve the team's performances unless they use the money saved to get players in to improve the team and in the positions that need it most.

Just as an example.we have offloaded Martin, Sammon, Shaughnessy, Mitchell and Djoum and brought in Washington, Walker and Halkett.  Would you not think that should improve the team?

Jamie Walker may be a decent pick up but we'll have to see. Can he stay fit?? He did well for us a few years ago but I think we can all agree that Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie are all stronger than when he was last here so he may not be able to reproduce his previous form.

We'll have to see if all of our players stay fit not just those people with past history eg Berra had no real injury history but still spent three and a half months out.  Past history is not always a guide.  Are you saying Walker is a good or bad signing?

All in all if I'm honest I don't see progress of the playing staff in the areas we most need addressing. Yeah we've tied down some players and off loaded some but not addressed the weakest area of the team and are weaker currently than we were last year.

What is the weakest area of the team that we have not addressed and realistically who could we have signed to cure it?  IMO it was LB and we have signed White with Hickey as back-up, and Burns at a push.  Or we could go 3 at the back.

FarmerTweedy
On 10/07/2019 at 20:51, wavydavy said:

What would your idea of a satisfying performance be after 3.5 weeks of foreplay?

You'd certainly hope to score more than once!

15 hours ago, innerjambo said:

All will be revealed by 21:30 tomorrow evening. Nothing will shock me either way, I will be pleasantly surprised, or slightly disappointed. That's the thing with Hearts these days, we're so garbage that people expect very little. Not a great position to be in really, but that's life under a below average manager. 

A really strange approach to take by a so called supporter. 

Some of us, outwith the disappointment of some results are very enthusiastic and excited about Hearts. Might even help the players. As in support them. 

First game of season, prospect of an attacking formation with likes of Connor Smith getting a chance and new signings like Halkett and Washington. Would have been something to look forward to. 

But each to their own. 

Edited by Mikey1874

gorgieheart
Just now, number-16 said:

Has he signed for Dundee United?

Not quite sure what that means, seeing as this thread is supposed to be about Hearts transfers !

Edited by gorgieheart
didnt finish before submitting

13 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Can we just please spend some decent salary on a decent box to box attacking midfielder?

Not too much to ask! Just 1. Then al shut ma pus!

These players are really hard to find though. Think about the best attacking midfielders we have had in the last 20 years:

Cameron was signed from a lower league team - he was a bit of a gamble which paid off on this occasion

Hartley arrived as a rather underwhelming winger - it was Hearts that changed him into an all-action CM

Skacel was nobody’s idea of box-to-box. For a player who spent most of his career at LB, he never had much interest in tracking back or defending.

7 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

do you think the other 2 will improve us?

Would it even be possible for two new players to weaken us?

StevenNaismith
5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

These players are really hard to find though. Think about the best attacking midfielders we have had in the last 20 years:

Cameron was signed from a lower league team - he was a bit of a gamble which paid off on this occasion

Hartley arrived as a rather underwhelming winger - it was Hearts that changed him into an all-action CM

Skacel was nobody’s idea of box-to-box. For a player who spent most of his career at LB, he never had much interest in tracking back or defending.

Hartley played CM for St Johnstone, I remember going to watch him before he signed and was surprised at the difference in his game from the guy I’d seen attempting to play out wide for Hibs. Billy Stark was the man that changed him. He flourished at Hearts though, I’ll give you that.

17 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Wighton is out for 2-3 months so we could do with another striker imo

Where did you see this?

BobbyJenkins

5 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Naismith and 2 more

Come on man, gies a bit more that... (pretty please)

Edited by BobbyJenkins

Can't honestly believe that we're starting the season with a weaker midfield than last year. 

Levein is on thin ice with about half of the fans already. One bad result and things will start to turn nasty.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Hartley played as a CM under Billy Stark at St Johnstone, Levein played him wide but eventually played him centrally and he progressed under the next few managers. Cameron wasn’t relegated with Raith he joined us before, probably one of the reasons. Rudi was only ever a temporary LB at any time for his other clubs.

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hartley played as a CM under Billy Stark at St Johnstone, Levein played him wide but eventually played him centrally and he progressed under the next few managers.

The way that you manage to negatively spin and downplay any positive impact that our manager has achieved is utterly risible tbh. A totally shan way to carry on.

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Can't honestly believe that we're starting the season with a weaker midfield than last year. 

Levein is on thin ice with about half of the fans already. One bad result and things will start to turn nasty.

3 weeks till league starts, 7 weeks till window closes.

8 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Listening to his press conference he doesn’t seem to be worried and he’s certainly not in a hurry to bring in a player.

Just now, To Be Frank said:

Yeah, i guess.

Really wanted a good, positive start to the season and I'm not feeling confident that's likely to happen.

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hartley played as a CM under Billy Stark at St Johnstone, Levein played him wide but eventually played him centrally and he progressed under the next few managers.

Did he not progress significantly under Levein or do you suspect Hartley was lying when he himself said this?

1 minute ago, MTS1874 said:

Listening to his press conference he doesn’t seem to be worried and he’s certainly not in a hurry to bring in a player.

He talks like a guy under no pressure and completely relaxed in his role. 

Ibrahim Tall
Just now, MTS1874 said:

Hardly confidence building for the team to go into the new season(& tonight’s game) if he’s sitting there saying he’s desperate for players and shitting bricks though is it? 

Even if he is worried it wouldn’t be good to admit it.

Alex Kintner
Just now, cosanostra said:

Yeah, i guess.

Really wanted a good, positive start to the season and I'm not feeling confident that's likely to happen.

It will mate. We’ve got more than enough to deal with Utd tonight. Hopefully by the Aberdeen game we’ll also have a fully fit Walker, Uche and Naismith and possibly a new arrival in centre mid 👍🏻

GorgieRules22
8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

By that time we could be out the cup and we’ll behind in the league..like two years ago under Cathro.

3 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Hardly confidence building for the team to go into the new season(& tonight’s game) if he’s sitting there saying he’s desperate for players and shitting bricks though is it? 

Even if he is worried it wouldn’t be good to admit it.

Yeah, your probably right.

GorgieRules22
5 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Purely because his job is under no threat, he’s a lucky man to have lasted this long.

BobbyJenkins

Just now, GorgieRules22 said:

By that time we could be out the cup and we’ll behind in the league..like two years ago under Cathro.

Could be eh, maybe better to wait and see. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Tell you what if we out the cup we really have got problems ! In a group of Dundee utd , cowdenbeath , east fife and stenhousemuir that would be the pits if we fail to come out that group 

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Could also be safely through in the cup and sitting top of the league like last year. What’s your point?

22 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

That’s because he’s an arrogant prick that has complete disregard for the fans paying their hard earned cash to watch the crap he serves up. 

Thought Djoum was going to resign and it’s bit him on the arse. If he thinks losing Djoum, Haring (injured for how long is anyone’s guess) and possibly olly lee and bringing in Cochrane, Zanatta and Irving makes us stronger he really is losing his fecking marbles - clearly mid table mediocrity is acceptable now to our board and why shouldn’t it be when over 12000 fans have renewed 🤷‍♂️

BobbyJenkins
2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

That’s because he’s an arrogant prick that has complete disregard for the fans paying their hard earned cash to watch the crap he serves up. 

Thought Djoum was going to resign and it’s bit him on the arse. If he thinks losing Djoum, Haring (injured for how long is anyone’s guess) and possibly olly lee and bringing in Cochrane, Zanatta and Irving makes us stronger he really is losing his fecking marbles - clearly mid table mediocrity is acceptable now to our board and why shouldn’t it be when over 12000 fans have renewed 🤷‍♂️

🤣

TemasekJambo
4 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Where to start with this post 🤣

Famous 1874
28 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Because he is bullet proof. How on earth he was not sacked by Christmas last year is beyond me. Fluked it with one of the easiest Scottish cup draws ever. 

4 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

No, Naismith is a done deal.

Deal was dated July 2nd if you are gullible enough to still believe folk who pretend they are itk.

BobbyJenkins
1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Because he is bullet proof. How on earth he was not sacked by Christmas last year is beyond me. Fluked it with one of the easiest Scottish cup draws ever. 

This is a transfer thread, just saying.

PS giving him shit for the scottish cup run...🤣

10 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Feeling better now? 🤣

ElasticRewardingAmericanrobin-size_restr

Famous 1874
1 minute ago, BobbyJenkins said:

This is a transfer thread, just saying.

PS giving him shit for the scottish cup run...🤣

Not giving him shit for that?

Have to beat what’s it front of you. All I’m saying is that it is ridiculous that he kept his job which the Scottish Cup run helped. Bigger picture should have been looked at, not that we can beat a few Sunday league sides.

Captain Sausage

The pain. 

The angst. 

I’m enjoying the pre-season meltdown this year. 

We have:

- someone downplaying the role of Levein in Hartley’s development, actively making it out that Levein was actually wrongly playing him then moved him centrally and other managers doing the development

- another having a go at the 12.5k+ fans who have renewed

- another bemoaning our cup run

Keep it up lads, your mental gymnastics are outstanding. 

1 minute ago, Whatever said:

Feeling better now? 🤣

ElasticRewardingAmericanrobin-size_restr

I stopped getting angry a long time ago with Craig Levein. Apathy is all I felt last season. I’ve better things to do with my time. Unlike some on here who follow blindly as spending time with their family seems to be a bit of chore.