***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

Inch Hearts
3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I'd agree, we have been too one dimensional this season. 

However, My point was that the long ball thing  is a myth created by Hibs, taken on by the media and championed as fact by some posters on here. 

We are no more a long ball team than anyone else. In fact we are one of the teams that play less "hoof ball". 

Tbh, having watched Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs that was quite clear and obvious. 

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

The stats were/ are relative to our league. That was implied if not stated. 

I don’t pay money to watch any other sides though and couldn’t care how Aberdeen made Europe or Killie 3rd.

Fact of the matter is the team played with lack of ideas pass pass pass back to Berra to launch.  That’s not a fragment of my imagination, that’s what the last six months (at least) of the season entailed and it wasn’t even successful.  It was also anything but a myth, it was torture and predictable.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I don’t pay money to watch any other sides though and couldn’t care how Aberdeen made Europe or Killie 3rd.

Fact of the matter is the team played with lack of ideas pass pass pass back to Berra to launch.  That’s not a fragment of my imagination, that’s what the last six months (at least) of the season entailed and it wasn’t even successful.  It was also anything but a myth, it was torture and predictable.

It is a myth, we don't play hoofball. 

We might not be good enough, creative enough etc but the hoof ball tag line is a complete pack of lies. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Just based on rumours would folk consider this a decent window? If this is the group we're looking at then I'd hope these are just replacements for guys like Godhino, Djoum and Vanecek and we'd still be looking at more quality like Liam Kelly or Boyce

All have the potential to improve us apart from Randall. 

Would be a good window, but I'd like another midfield option if Djoum leaves and over Bozanic and maybe even Lee. 

Captain Sausage
16 hours ago, Taffin said:

Out of curiosity were those stats referring to passes or attempted passes or both combined? 

I read it at the time but can't remember.

It's also worth pointing out that we were 3rd 'best' in a league with the most long passes in Europe so it's likely to say we could still be considered a long ball team in absolute terms.

It was for passes attempted. 

I think it’s all relative when you consider Scottish football in the wider picture. Are we agricultural in comparison with an equivalent side in France? Definitely. 

But against directly comparable teams who play in our league, against the same opposition, we are not long ball merchants. 

That agricultural myth we seem to have attracted is what I’m looking to dispel. There is clear evidence that, in the context of other teams in the Scottish Premiership, it is a falsehood. 

Edited by Captain Sausage

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

That's the one  :)

Actually had the pleasure and it was anything but magic 

I just never gave way to anyone on it!!! He who hesitates cometh last!!!

It wouldn't be a popular decision by many on here but I would be trying to get Glenn Middleton on loan from Rangers for the season. Direct and creative player.

Mr Elwood P
26 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Is that anything like a damp squid?

Inch Hearts
19 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It is a myth, we don't play hoofball. 

We might not be good enough, creative enough etc but the hoof ball tag line is a complete pack of lies. 

So the second part of the season never consisted of passing around the defence, back to the goalie back to Souttar to Berra to erm hoof it forward? Usually down the line to try and win a foul or a Michael Smith special?

Is it tippy tappy hoofball or something then? 

Inch Hearts
18 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

It was for passes attempted. 

I think it’s all relative when you consider Scottish football in the wider picture. Are we agricultural in comparison with an equivalent side in France? Definitely. 

But against directly comparable teams who play in our league, against the same opposition, we are not long ball merchants. 

That agricultural myth we seem to have attracted is what I’m looking to dispel. There is clear evidence that, in the context of other teams in the Scottish Premiership, it is a falsehood. 

Wasnt it more to do with the other sides launch it forward faster than we do?  

It’s pass around then punt, still the same eye bleeding predictable outcome.  

GorgieFifeLife
On 05/06/2019 at 14:01, TheOak88 said:

Olly Lee considering leaving. Unhappy with the lack of first team football. 

It's been a while since we have had a close season where we have had so little player movement or potential incoming players as this one. Window has only just opened but we haven't started off quickly like Hibs or Aberdeen. This probably indicates there will be very few players coming in. Would like to see a few more of the squad players moved on though.

The hoofball debate is the wrong one to be having. The number and % of short passes is basically irrelevant. 

As has already been correctly pointed out, lot of the time, we go pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-hoof. All those passes are knocking the ball around in our own half, defence to keeper to holding mid and back again. That is what we do a lot of the time. To be fair, I actually think it shows that the manager would like us to play football on the deck.

But quite to a lot of other teams in our league play counter-attacking stuff. Fewer passes involved, but just as focused & possibly more likely to create from open play. From what I saw last season, I’d say the likes of Killie & Hibs looked more of a threat more often. 

So who’s ultimately playing hoofball? The team that flail around in their own half for longer then give up and punt it, or the team that employ different tactics involving fewer short passes in their own half? 

The fundamental problem is that some people are assuming that long passes = hoofs, which is not true. Teams who play fewer short passes are not necessarily lobbing it down the channels and hoping (some are, it’s Scottish football). 

Whether you you want to label it hoofball or not, a lot of what we have been doing of late is pretty clueless. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

FTFY

No Suprise at all tbh. 

I'm sure Belgium, Swiss, Danish, Sweden etc are below us as well in the long ball stakes. 

Still irrelevant to us being rated 8th in Our league. My point still stands, we are no more a long ball than our rivals, some of which are reported to have taught the Brazalians. ?

The debate on the quality of our football in general is another debate and a much wider one. 

Probably another thread. 

If you expect Hearts to buck the national trend my point regarding expectations stands. 

The survey was in the context of the Scottish league, not Europe. 

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure even theses types of leagues piss over us financial wise. 

Norway and Sweden were mentioned on here before iirc, thier TV deals are far bigger than ours. 

Generally, Where there is more money, there is better quality. 

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So the second part of the season never consisted of passing around the defence, back to the goalie back to Souttar to Berra to erm hoof it forward? Usually down the line to try and win a foul or a Michael Smith special?

Is it tippy tappy hoofball or something then? 

Our results weren't good enough for various reasons exhausted on here.-

Hoofball wasn't one of them. 

For example, 3 Teams that played more hoofball finished above us. 

Style is irrelevant,  effectiveness and results are what's important. 

We need to improve on that. We all agree?

My point regarding hoofball stands- it is a myth, a hibs one at that. 

Same old jokers play it out tho, to make a point that I'm sure they've even forgotten by now. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Our results weren't good enough for various reasons exhausted on here.-

Hoofball wasn't one of them. 

For example, 3 Teams that played more hoofball finished above us. 

Style is irrelevant,  effectiveness and results are what's important. 

We need to improve on that. We all agree?

My point regarding hoofball stands- it is a myth, a hibs one at that. 

Same old jokers play it out tho, to make a point that I'm sure they've even forgotten by now. 

So we didn’t pass along the back a lot before hoofing it forward? Is that seriously what you’re trying to say?  There was zero creativity at all at times.  

Hoofing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other bypassing yards and yards is hoofball my friend and I care not a lot that our predictable brand of it included passing it around to players either who shat themselves to make a pass or just couldn’t do so. 

Anyway who cares it’s last season. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I just never gave way to anyone on it!!! He who hesitates cometh last!!!

Eyes closed, foot down, GO!

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

No Suprise at all tbh. 

I'm sure Belgium, Swiss, Danish, Sweden etc are below us as well in the long ball stakes. 

Still irrelevant to us being rated 8th in Our league. My point still stands, we are no more a long ball than our rivals, some of which are reported to have taught the Brazalians. ?

The debate on the quality of our football in general is another debate and a much wider one. 

Probably another thread. 

If you expect Hearts to buck the national trend my point regarding expectations stands. 

The survey was in the context of the Scottish league, not Europe. 

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure even theses types of leagues piss over us financial wise. 

Norway and Sweden were mentioned on here before iirc, thier TV deals are far bigger than ours. 

Generally, Where there is more money, there is better quality. 

In not disputing anything just giving a wider picture than just looking at our league. We're a long ball team in a macro sense so some people with a less narrow interest in football will view us that way and then in a micro sense we aren't (though still nobody has clarified what that report was showing regards what the way including as a 'long ball)

I'm on neither side of the fence, just highlighting that reeling off a single report with no definitions can make stats show anything especially when there is one showing the opposite if you open it up to a wider context.

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

It was for passes attempted

Thanks.

I'm not disputing what you've written btw just highlighting that those saying we aren't a long ball team aren't necessarily bashing the club but instead taken into account a larger viewpoint. 

Equally they might just be bashing the club. Personally, I don't think long ba is our issue, I think we try to pass it around but lack of movement and speed of thought are what prevent it working 

52 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

So we didn’t pass along the back a lot before hoofing it forward? Is that seriously what you’re trying to say?  There was zero creativity at all at times.  

Hoofing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other bypassing yards and yards is hoofball my friend and I care not a lot that our predictable brand of it included passing it around to players either who shat themselves to make a pass or just couldn’t do so. 

Anyway who cares it’s last season. 

Of course we did on occasion. In other occasions we played more progressive patient build up play. You clearly focus solely on the occasions where we did do that and ignore the ample occasions where we did not.

Captain Sausage
32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Thanks.

I'm not disputing what you've written btw just highlighting that those saying we aren't a long ball team aren't necessarily bashing the club but instead taken into account a larger viewpoint. 

Equally they might just be bashing the club. Personally, I don't think long ba is our issue, I think we try to pass it around but lack of movement and speed of thought are what prevent it working 

Agree with you completely. Look at how differently we play with Naismith in the team as he can coordinate that movement and link the play. 

Hopefully recruiting a winger and striker, as well as retaining Naismith and Djoum will see us have the ability to play that style of football more effectively this season coming. 

21 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

TRANSFERS

I think you may have to start a separate thread although I've no doubt the CL haters will divert and pollute that as well/

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Jamie Devitt ?

Turned down a new contract at carlisle. Another midfielder tho don’t know much about him. 28. Any good?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Jamie Devitt ?

Never seen the guy in my puff, but I would probably start from a level of low expectation.

As I say with any name, and quite a few replies I got on Djoum were bang on, its how much of your budget you spend versus payback.

Leveins Battalion
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Never seen the guy in my puff, but I would probably start from a level of low expectation.

As I say with any name, and quite a few replies I got on Djoum were bang on, its how much of your budget you spend versus payback.

Never seen him but sure someone linked him with us a few months ago.

Absolute Scenes
28 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think you may have to start a separate thread although I've no doubt the CL haters will divert and pollute that as well/

its looking that way :laugh:

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Currently in talks with Leeds about getting Jay-Roy Grot on loan for next season. 

Dutch Surinamese striker? ?

Last one of those we had did okay. ?

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Dutch Surinamese striker? ?

Last one of those we had did okay. ?

The guy that told me about it described him as a winger. But could be a striker as well, I had never heard of him until last week. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Currently in talks with Leeds about getting Jay-Roy Grot on loan for next season. 

Whatever happens, the names are going to be quality. 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

The guy that told me about it described him as a winger. But could be a striker as well, I had never heard of him until last week. 

Don’t know much about him either mate. Looked him up after your posts. MDV must have been on the blower to his old gaffer. ?

6 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Wikipedia has him listed as a striker / right winger.

15 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Reports on his performance are not good. 

Still maybe SPL is his level. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Reports on his performance are not good. 

Still maybe SPL is his level. 

Think he is still young and must have done something to get a fee and a 4 year deal at Leeds. 

8 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

Wikipedia has him listed as a striker / right winger.

Would be interesting to see which position he has predominantly played in. Might try and look up Leeds forum later when have time, to see what they think of him. 

33 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I am groot 

How do you play counter attack football if you have the ball in defence and all the outfield players are in front of you?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

How do you play counter attack football if you have the ball in defence and all the outfield players are in front of you?

:random:

HillmanHearts
3 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Currently in talks with Leeds about getting Jay-Roy Grot on loan for next season

From the Wiki blurb, it sounds like he's had a rough time at Leeds but a decent loan spell last year back in Holland.

Big athletic lad who can play through the middle or out wide.

Dare I say " would be a bit of a punt "

6 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Jamie Devitt ?

Surely not? He looks like a Hibs' fan.

1 hour ago, Gershwin said:

Surely not? He looks like a Hibs' fan.

Just googled after reading this and Jesus ****ing Christ, you aren't wrong :lol:

Franksluckypants
14 minutes ago, Vit1874 said:

Just googled after reading this and Jesus ****ing Christ, you aren't wrong :lol:

If we were to sign him, the financial drop in 2020 calendar sales would need to be factored in...wonder what his burd looks like compared to Mrs Lafferty?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Vit1874 said:

Maybe it’s just his bad side?

0C0AD24A-BEEE-4091-9784-4EABCD7E1A33.jpeg

Leveins Battalion
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe it’s just his bad side?

0C0AD24A-BEEE-4091-9784-4EABCD7E1A33.jpeg

Ken Dodds long lost son?

52 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Ken Dodds long lost son?

Can't see his tickling stick in that photo.