***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

SectionDJambo
39 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

With your profound knowledge, you can give your forecast on each before they kick a ball for us.  Saves the use of hindsight later.

Here was me thinking that I’d already said I am not qualified or paid to make these decisions. What I did say that our club have people who are paid to make these decisions, and they have thrown away a fortune, for our club, in wages, and goodness knows what other expenses, on players who have ended up having single figure appearances for Hearts over 2 or 3 years. Other players brought in have not been up to the standard we should aspire to.

That’s  before the prize money lost for the league position only being 6th, 2 years running, gets taken into account.

I’m not one to knock our club, generally,  but surely not many can think our recruitment over the last 3 or 4 years has been good.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Here was me thinking that I’d already said I am not qualified or paid to make these decisions. What I did say that our club have people who are paid to make these decisions, and they have thrown away a fortune, for our club, in wages, and goodness knows what other expenses, on players who have ended up having single figure appearances for Hearts over 2 or 3 years. Other players brought in have not been up to the standard we should aspire to.

That’s  before the prize money lost for the league position only being 6th, 2 years running, gets taken into account.

I’m not one to knock our club, generally,  but surely not many can think our recruitment over the last 3 or 4 years has been good.

You're not paid to moan about it either but you do.

Below is what I posted earlier

It happens at every club as you well know.  Mourinho brought in Pogba £89m and Sanchez (valued at £65m) and they were well short of being successes.

Rangers have 2 players ready to move on who cost fees who were a waste of transfer fees

Celtic spent £1m on Marin Compper to sit on his rear end.

Every club wastes money because you do not know if any new signing is going to work out.

On 08/06/2019 at 21:40, Captain Sausage said:

So it’s proven that statistically we had the third lowest number of long/hoof balls last season. Yet you refuse to accept that therefore means we aren’t a hoofball team. 

Where’s your evidence that we are a hoofball team. Not just ‘ah seen it wif ma own eyes likes’. Actual, verifiable evidence please. 

Out of curiosity were those stats referring to passes or attempted passes or both combined? 

I read it at the time but can't remember.

It's also worth pointing out that we were 3rd 'best' in a league with the most long passes in Europe so it's likely to say we could still be considered a long ball team in absolute terms.

Edited by Taffin

jamboinglasgow

Last summer really spoiled us, by this point last summer we had already signed 8 players (from April till now.) Currently we have 1 signed (2 if you include Aidy White but I have counted him as last seasons signing as he was not a pre-contract but signed in full.) We have 1 we expect to sign in Naismith and thats it.

I have become impatient waiting for the next summer signing, and its only been 2 weeks since our last game of the season.

Ok, we aren’t a long ball team any more than anyone else but we aren’t good at scoring goals or overly great at general play.  

Think we’ve got more to worry about and work at. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It happens at every club as you well know.  Mourinho brought in Pogba £89m and Sanchez (valued at £65m) and they were well short of being successes.

Rangers have 2 players ready to move on who cost fees who were a waste of transfer fees

Every club wastes money because you do not know if any new signing is going to work out.

Nah, it's just Hearts, and only since CL arrived was manager. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Out of curiosity were those stats referring to passes or attempted passes or both combined? 

It's also worth pointing out that we were 3rd 'best' in a league with the most long passes in Europe so it's likely to say we could still be considered a long ball team in absolute terms.

Most long passes in Europe or selected leagues? 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

Hibs signed 3 players in January (when without a manager I may add. If that happened with us you can guarantee the media would have been all over it like a fly around shite). One of them McNulty which is fair enough but the other two didn’t kick a ball for them. 

Indeed we would’ve been slaughtered for doing that.

I think it was 4, McNulty/Omeonga/Gauld and Bigrimana but only the first two contributed. 

SectionDJambo
48 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

My last words on this because I’m clearly not being understood here.

I do not usually criticise Hearts. I’ve seen much worse in my time of over 50 years of regularly going to see my team.

I am not one of the people who blindly hate Craig Levein.He was a great player for us and, I think, he has done a great job in creating an environment for young players of good quality to, soon I hope, be of great benefit to us.

I don’t think that we have made the best use of limited resources in recruiting players best suited for the game in Scotland, over the last 3 or 4 seasons. We haven’t just had one or two poor signings, like the clubs quoted, we’ve had loads.

I would like us to improve this to get our club challenging again.

Hearts fans used to complain about the standard of the Lithuanian players brought to our club. Almost all of them were better than some of the dross signed in recent seasons.

If I wanted to moan about my club regularly wasting money on dud players, who don’t get a game for us, whilst getting paid plenty for it, I’d do it. 

As it happens, all I was hoping for was an improvement in a vital part of my club’s operation, which has clearly been expensively poor recently.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I do not usually criticise Hearts. I’ve seen much worse in my time of over 50 years of regularly going to see my team.

I am not one of the people who blindly hate Craig Levein.He was a great player for us and, I think, he has done a great job in creating an environment for young players of good quality to, soon I hope, be of great benefit to us.

I don’t think that we have made the best use of limited resources in recruiting players best suited for the game in Scotland, over the last 3 or 4 seasons. We haven’t just had one or two poor signings, like the clubs quoted, we’ve had loads.

Hearts fans used to complain about the standard of the Lithuanian players brought to our club. Almost all of them were better than some of the dross signed in recent seasons.

If I wanted to moan about my club regularly wasting money on dud players, who don’t get a game for us, whilst getting paid plenty for it, I’d do it. 

As it happens, all I was hoping for was an improvement in a vital part of my club’s operation, which has clearly been expensively poor recently.

We all want things to improve but we can only have what we can afford and a touch of realism is needed.  No matter how good your recruitment is you will always make mistakes - with hindsight.  Money gives you a better chance but as I have pointed out above, even that gives no degree of certainty.

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Hibs just released 17 players, including Adam Bogdan, Darnell Johnson, Gael Bigirimana, Jonathan Spector, Marc McNulty, Mark Milligan, Marvin Bartley, Miquel Nelom, Ross Laidlaw, Ryan Gauld, Stephane Omeonga, Thomas Agyepong.

The ones in bold were all signed in the last season or two, some just in January, and they all fall into the duds category.

You could do a similar list for preceding seasons. Lennon's signings were extremely patchy. The big Lithuanian striker for example and several more that completely bombed.

I can't be bothered going through Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen, but the story is similar if you take a look. IT's hard to think of their bad signings because they didn't play and we didn't see them. Killie are the exception. Clarke signed very few and the ones he did were good.

Aberdeen , with a settled core, have not had to gamble like us. We're now in the position they were a few years ago where we have a good spine we can build around. Aberdeen will probably have a patchier record in the next couple of seasons as they're losing key players.

Edited by Guest

chester copperpot
14 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Not in the slightest. Are you attempting to end the debate by using 'end of' or are you asking me two questions? Are the two questions some clever rhetorical joke to troll the poor fella from North Lanarkshire. 

Hamilton is South Lanarkshire :)

Was the speculation about Walker just that or is their some substance to it?

I'd like to see him come back providing there's no associated cost.  Not a big gamble at all imo.

Maroonblood22

I wasn't keen on Magennis at first when mentioned on here but trying to look at it positively he's scoring at international level, he's strong, has pace and can win headers so can see why we would be interested, especially with the NI connections at the club.

Having said that, it all depends on the rest of the transfer activity in the summer. If Magennis is the only forward thinking player we sign then it will be a shite transfer window, but hopefully we're looking to bring in more strength and depth all round.

On the fence with this one for now but won't pish my knickers if it does happen.

8 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Most long passes in Europe or selected leagues? 

I think it was only looking at the top tiers.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Was the speculation about Walker just that or is their some substance to it?

I'd like to see him come back providing there's no associated cost.  Not a big gamble at all imo.

He’s had a chat with the powers at be. 

11 hours ago, Taffin said:

So when we went long we were good at it? 3rd best in Europe.

Doesnt sound like much to complain about to me.

24 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

No, sorry I've worded that poorly. I meant we did the 3rd least amount of long passes (or attempted passes, not sure as nobody answered my question) in a league that plays the most long passes in European top leagues.

I used inverted commas as it's subjective rather than indicating they were successful as I simply don't know what that article was referencing.

Phil Dunphy
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs just released 17 players, including Adam Bogdan, Darnell Johnson, Gael Bigirimana, Jonathan Spector, Marc McNulty, Mark Milligan, Marvin Bartley, Miquel Nelom, Ross Laidlaw, Ryan Gauld, Stephane Omeonga, Thomas Agyepong.

The ones in bold were all signed in the last season or two, some just in January, and they all fall into the duds category.

Bogdan, Johnson, McNulty, Gauld, Omeonga and Agyepong were all loan moves, were they not?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
32 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, sorry I've worded that poorly. I meant we did the 3rd least amount of long passes (or attempted passes, not sure as nobody answered my question) in a league that plays the most long passes in European top leagues.

I used inverted commas as it's subjective rather than indicating they were successful as I simply don't know what that article was referencing.

I mention this quite a lot. We really only play 1 long ball in about 20. The prior 19 passes (short) are spent working our way to 30 yards out, to work 40 yards back to Berra, then another 20 yards back to Zlamal. Rinse and repeat. Until eventually we manage to get Mulraney free on the wing.

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of it.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I mention this quite a lot. We really only play 1 long ball in about 20. The prior 19 passes (short) are spent working our way to 30 yards out, to work 40 yards back to Berra, then another 20 yards back to Zlamal. Rinse and repeat. Until eventually we manage to get Mulraney free on the wing.

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of it.

That’s where most of my frustrations come from, from this team and set up. Pep talks at length about how much he hates passing for passing sake, side ways, backwards “safe” passes going nowhere. I’ve said it a million times but we play 352/3511 but play within it like it’s a 451. Most of the time we don’t press high so create no overloads and like you say spread the ball about at the back till eventually someone takes a bad touch or plays a bad pass and we go long in a panic cause we’ve brought pressure onto ourselves by going nowhere. The biggest mistake England made the other night was leaving Stones with no options, that’s what cause the mistake. We need better movement and fitter players. Hopefully we see some strategic recruitment this summer to ensure we can play the high press every game next season, I think it suits us the best. 

LeylandJambo
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I liken us to a man trying to get off a large roundabout with a broken Sat Nav, who eventually gets so fed up he just drives over the top of 

The last paragraph has to be one of the best descriptions I've read in a long time.

17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

the-magic-roundabout-swindon-england-450w-1101684179.jpg1*ajDimtTEyxBHw-VsVJE9MQ.jpeg

Bazzas right boot

I'd agree, we have been too one dimensional this season. 

However, My point was that the long ball thing  is a myth created by Hibs, taken on by the media and championed as fact by some posters on here. 

We are no more a long ball team than anyone else. In fact we are one of the teams that play less "hoof ball". 

Tbh, having watched Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs that was quite clear and obvious. 

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

The stats were/ are relative to our league. That was implied if not stated. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, moonraker said:

the-magic-roundabout-swindon-england-450w-1101684179.jpg1*ajDimtTEyxBHw-VsVJE9MQ.jpeg

That's the one  :)

Actually had the pleasure and it was anything but magic 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

However, My point was that the long ball thing  is a myth created by Hibs, taken on by the media and championed as fact by some posters on here. 

We are no more a long ball team than anyone else. In fact we are one of the teams that play less "hoof ball". 

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

Ultimately you need the tools to do the job 

51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

That is absolutely spot on. 

That's the one  :)

Actually had the pleasure and it was anything but magic 

I have only had one accident on it

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

You're breaking the law if you go over the top of a roundabout.

Hearts don't break the law with their 20th ball.

Joking apart, many top teams play this way and sometimes it is necessary to flush out overly defensive teams.  Even Man City play that way: it's just that they have more/ better options and once they do score the game is up for the opposition.

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, moonraker said:

The designer was high and handed it in for a laugh. 

Not for one minute did she think it would get approved. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You're breaking the law if you go over the top of a roundabout.

Hearts don't break the law with their 20th ball.

Joking apart, many top teams play this way and sometimes it is necessary to flush out overly defensive teams.  Even Man City play that way: it's just that they have more/ better options and once they do score the game is up for the opposition.

Yeah City have the tools to play that way. We don't,  so our product looks very different. 

Uche did allow us to get into the final third from time to time which then lent to the ridiculous assertion that is how we play and nothing else 

59 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In regards to the league comment by another poster I cba arsed, if we are expected to play similar football to the Spanish, Dutch, Germany leagues, Finnish etc than folk need to lay down the glue or at least change to a weaker brand. 

FTFY

Edited by Taffin

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Just based on rumours would folk consider this a decent window? If this is the group we're looking at then I'd hope these are just replacements for guys like Godhino, Djoum and Vanecek and we'd still be looking at more quality like Liam Kelly or Boyce

Yeah City have the tools to play that way. We don't,  so our product looks very different. 

Uche did allow us to get into the final third from time to time which then lent to the ridiculous assertion that is how we play and nothing else 

That's why it's so important we have someone playing closer to Ikpeazu. He's not a finisher and he's not the quickest at seeing and executing a pass but he does create space for others to exploit. Getting Naismith on the ball in these areas means he can open teams up but we need more than just Naismith. Smith looks capable but he needs coached on where he should be making the runs off Ikpeazu. We need players willing to take more risks in midfield and the final third of the pitch. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Just based on rumours would folk consider this a decent window? If this is the group we're looking at then I'd hope these are just replacements for guys like Godhino, Djoum and Vanecek and we'd still be looking at more quality like Liam Kelly or Boyce

haha Randalls no coming he'll end up at Newtongrange Star or something.

6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Naismith is obviously a great signing and Halkett looks the right age and pedigree. White is presumably here regardless. For different reasons, age and quality I wouldn't touch the rest. If Djoum goes try and replace him with quality and if you can't don't bother and try and develop what we have. Too many players are signed as the dreaded back up and we get little value. This summer should be about developing what we already have at the club and creating opportunities for our younger players. 

Edited by Jodami

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Missing a creative midfielder I think, but perhaps opportunity knocks for the talented youngsters

31 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Halkett

Randall

White

Bryson

Cadden

Magennis 

Naismith 

Wouldn't take Randall as I don't think he is any better than Brandon or Godinho and would probably be looking for wages that could be better spent elsewhere.  Cadden I think is overrated and I certainly hope we don't splash out a  £400k development fee.

34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Missing a creative midfielder I think, but perhaps opportunity knocks for the talented youngsters

Jamie Walker ?

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Christian Doidge ?

Just names getting chucked out or serious?

Not a terrible scoring record, but only really had one prolific season in League 2 (17/18) - same season Olly was at Luton in same league?

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Just names getting chucked out or serious?

Not a terrible scoring record, but only really had one prolific season in League 2 (17/18) - same season Olly was at Luton in same league?

Are you doubting my ITK status???..........Like everyone else on here I haven't a clue who we are signing..

13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Christian Doidge ?

A ‘number’ of Scottish Premiership clubs are reportedly interested in signing Forest Green striker Christian Doidge.

The attacker was due to join Bolton but financial difficulties meant the move fell through.

And now HITC are reporting that he’s wanted by unnamed Premiership clubs as well as teams in England’s League One.

No sides have been mentioned at all, but they report that Forest Green wouldn’t stand in his way.

No idea if we are in for him obvs but if a few clubs sniffing about we might be one.

checked his wiki and well you can see below 

2016– Forest Green Rovers 107 (59)
2018–2019  Bolton Wanderers (loan) 17 (1

Inch Hearts
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Couldn’t you tell?  So good we finished 6th :lol: