The Stranglers

Locky

Always been familiar of a few of their songs, but recently been listening to a lot their stuff and what a great band indeed.

Yay or nay kickback?

And if the answer is yay, do you feel they're underrated? I grew up on The Clash for example who got spoken about a lot, but never have I really heard people talk about The Stranglers.

They are one of the bands often associated with new wave punk but they were never a punk band,   in fact they pre-dated punk in the UK.     They were already accomplished musicians by the time all the recognised punk bands appeared.     But weren't widely cited as any kind of inspiration for the main bands.    That inspiration was credited to The Stooges,  Ramones,   MC5,   New York Dolls,  etc.     

The White Cockade

Great band who had loads of great songs 

Still touring I saw them a couple of years back

No More Heroes

15 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Great band who had loads of great songs 

Still touring I saw them a couple of years back

No More Heroes

Playing in Glasgow next month.

N Lincs Jambo

Loved them as a teenager when they first came to national promenance in the late 70s. Went to see them at the Playhouse in 1980 but tbh I had moved on a bit musically and can’t honestly say it was a great gig. Reluctantly got talked into seeing them again in 2010 and they were amazing. Have seen them several times since the most recent being in Scunthorpe in March. Baz Warne to me is a far better Strangler than Hugh Cornwell and is always having a laugh and banter with the audience. If you get the chance to see a great band at regular ticket prices then go and see the Stranglers!

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Playing in Glasgow next month.

Will be a cracker. Ruts DC supporting.

I will be there.

frankblack
4 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Loved them as a teenager when they first came to national promenance in the late 70s. Went to see them at the Playhouse in 1980 but tbh I had moved on a bit musically and can’t honestly say it was a great gig. Reluctantly got talked into seeing them again in 2010 and they were amazing. Have seen them several times since the most recent being in Scunthorpe in March. Baz Warne to me is a far better Strangler than Hugh Cornwell and is always having a laugh and banter with the audience. If you get the chance to see a great band at regular ticket prices then go and see the Stranglers!

Wash your mouth out with soap! ?

Saw them a few times with Baz and found his vocals wanting.  Hugh Cornwell's last album, Monster, is really good.  The second disc is acoustic Stranglers versions, but I prefer the new material on the main album.

Got tickets for Hugh Cornwell at Liquid Rooms in November.

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Wash your mouth out with soap! ?

Saw them a few times with Baz and found his vocals wanting.  Hugh Cornwell's last album, Monster, is really good.  The second disc is acoustic Stranglers versions, but I prefer the new material on the main album.

Got tickets for Hugh Cornwell at Liquid Rooms in November.

Sorry Frank, just going to have to agree to disagree. Cornwell was disinterested and didn’t want to be there. He effed off in 1990. Pretty sure Baz’s tenure in the band is now longer than Hugh’s

My favourite band. Got most of their studio lp's and cds about 20 as well as a few bootleg ones.

Saw them and Dr Feelgood in Dunfermline a few months ago and as per they were excellent. They have a new drummer as Jet Black doesnt play now as he is over 70. Will see them again at Rewind in July.?

frankblack
3 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Sorry Frank, just going to have to agree to disagree. Cornwell was disinterested and didn’t want to be there. He effed off in 1990. Pretty sure Baz’s tenure in the band is now longer than Hugh’s

The fact their setlists are still almost all HC material says it all.

From what I read the band didn't get along when HC left.  Recent Stranglers albums haven't been good whereas Monster was.

Brick Tamland

Loved the stranglers and still do. Seen them about 8 times live the first being in 1979. 

Some tremendous songs and riffs. JJ Burnel was outstanding live and an incredible bass player. Their cover of walk on by is sublime. 

Top top band and which I’m pleased to say that both of my boys really like too. 

jimbojambo

Ratus Norvegiecus is still an amazing album so full of energy. Brings back memories of mass pogoeing in bars back in the 70s. Truly great times

All roads lead to Gorgie

Last saw them at T back in the early 2000s. They were in the big tent and the atmosphere in there was electric. Mostly an older crowd but not totally. Wonder if they are still as good today. 

N Lincs Jambo
54 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Last saw them at T back in the early 2000s. They were in the big tent and the atmosphere in there was electric. Mostly an older crowd but not totally. Wonder if they are still as good today. 

They are!

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

They are!

:thumbsup:

frankblack
4 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was there.  They played again on the main stage a few years later and weren't too great.

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was there.  They played again on the main stage a few years later and weren't too great.

Some bands are more suited to playing indoors or undercover in this case. I think playing to a full tent rather than a more scattered crowd in the open brings the best out in them. 

Plus because the tent empties between bands it is mostly their own fans in there. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

maroonlegions

No More Heroes, classic.Duchess too. Punky as feck in their day,Used to be riots at their gigs .

Robbo-Jambo

The Stranglers were good. 

The Clash were very good. 

The Jam were untouchable in that era. They had the lot. Punk energy about them but also great melody in their songs and an angry young singer/songwriter in Paul Weller. 

Weller was a genius for his age writing the classic album All Mod Cons at the age of 19.

They still have about 10 tribute bands on the go 37 years after they split. Says it all really. 

I used to love John Peels show at night. You used to hear so many different types of bands, and he played lots of punk/new wave. 

The stranglers, clash, buzzcocks, damned were my type of music. I was a bit too young when the height of punk was out, but The Ramones are my band, and always have been.  I have so many CD’s, LPs of theirs, as well as a Ramones sleeve on my arm. 

You can’t beat some of the old school bands. 

the general

The Stranglers always seemed to be a bit manufactured and heavy metalish for me. Remember seeing them at Tiffany's/ clouds and they had kinda go go dancers on stage with them which seemed a bit anti punk

Some great songs tho

Doctor FinnBarr

Liked them in the early days but when they came out with Golden Brown that was pretty much the end for me

fabienleclerq

Terrace. 

Edited by fabienleclerq
Sorry thought this was a Marvin Bartley thread...

A robust centre forward

Was very lucky to see them at Clouds in Tollcross in the late 70s. The gig was low key because of council restrictions and the gig posters said the 'Rumour was True'. It was only when you got inside Clouds that you saw the Stranglers name painted onto their sound equipment. Skids were the support band plus a disco. Bar closed at 10pm 

and believe it or not, the ticket only cost £1. The place was bouncing and just after No More Heroes became a huge hit. Happy days ?