Clarke's first Scotland squad

PortyJambo

Unknown user
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Squad named for the games against Cyprus and Belgium, including 3 uncapped Killie players (Brophy, Findlay and Taylor) and Souttar also included.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48430589

Until further evidence presents itself I'm happy to give Clarke a free reign, I think his judgement's pretty good and if he thinks these guys will give him what he needs then let's have an open mind and see what they've got

PortyJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Until further evidence presents itself I'm happy to give Clarke a free reign, I think his judgement's pretty good and if he thinks these guys will give him what he needs then let's have an open mind and see what they've got

Yeah, he's seen the Killie players week in, week out, so knows what they're going to give him. I'd rather he picked players he knows are in form, than ones that get picked just because they have a link to a certain 2 teams...

It's not a groundbreaking squad in terms of new faces or anything, but I'd like to see what Clarke can get out of them. I imagine these 2 games are like auditions for the players in the squad, and we might see differences in future squads depending on who shows up ready to play for him.

Jambo 4 Ever

decent squad... although I would have thought Berra might be good enough,

4 keepers perhaps a bit excessive! 

No Rangers players!!

Edited by Jambo_in_Hamilton

Bazzas right boot

Mcginn being rested? 

Nah, He's there. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Unknown user
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, he's seen the Killie players week in, week out, so knows what they're going to give him. I'd rather he picked players he knows are in form, than ones that get picked just because they have a link to a certain 2 teams...

It's not a groundbreaking squad in terms of new faces or anything, but I'd like to see what Clarke can get out of them. I imagine these 2 games are like auditions for the players in the squad, and we might see differences in future squads depending on who shows up ready to play for him.

Well that's been the most frustrating thing about Scotland - we're not that bad, or we shouldn't be anyway.

We have decent players playing at decent levels and we should be much more competitive than we've been recently. 

McLeish ruined Scotland for me, that was truly rock bottom, but a guy like Clarke gives that glimmer of hope that we can maybe be more then the sum of our parts instead of less. 

I agree overall, wholesale changes aren't needed, we aren't that bad - fine lines and all that.

Love the avatar by the way 

1QyK.gif

Happy enough with that, we have some good players (We’ve seen glimpses of what they can do towards the end of the WC qualifiers) but clearly not getting the best out of them, I have faith that Clarke will be be able to get them working as a unit

Famous 1874

Marshall, Devlin, Mulgrew, Palmer, Cairney, Burke, McNulty and Morgan out for me

Z.Clark, Halkett, Turnbull, Jack all a bit unfortunate. 

5 left footed central midfielders is a bit of an imbalance.

Few obvious players not available who would usually be there though - Tierney, Paterson, Griffiths and Naisy.

PortyJambo
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Love the avatar by the way 

1QyK.gif

Love Calvin and Hobbes, was time for me to go back to my old username and avatar!

The Internet

Genuinely thought Brophy was Irish. Like the look of the squad although David turnbull is unlucky, too many players playing in his position at a higher level. 

International football is changing to building a squad rather than just picking whoevers on form at the time imo. Wales have done this to good effect, getting youngsters involved who might not even have broken into their first team yet. Good to get some fresh faces in there. 

Gorgieshed
19 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

No Rangers players!!

You are at it?

Berra should be nowhere near the Scotland squad. 

Unless he has a good pre season and improves, he might struggle to start here next year.

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Gorgieshed said:

You are at it?

Berra should be nowhere near the Scotland squad. 

Unless he has a good pre season and improves, he might struggle to start here next year.

your opinion ofcourse - but I still think he would be good enough for Scotland

Ibrahim Tall
11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He really hates Rangers.

Who should be in like?

With McGregor ‘retiring’ they’ve only got two decent Scots that get a game and one of them is now Canadian and the other(Jack) is a mile off the level of McGregor, McGinn, McTominay and Armstrong.

12 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Who should be in like?

With McGregor ‘retiring’ they’ve only got two decent Scots that get a game and one of them is now Canadian and the other(Jack) is a mile off the level of McGregor, McGinn, McTominay and Armstrong.

Yip.

When you look at the sevco squad, the only two or so players who would be in with a chance of being picked, have other players who should be ahead of them in those positions. 

No conspiracy here.

gashauskis9
47 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

No Rangers players!!

Berra’s barely good enough for us at the moment let alone Scotland.

41 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Marshall, Devlin, Mulgrew, Palmer, Cairney, Burke, McNulty and Morgan out for me

Z.Clark, Halkett, Turnbull, Jack all a bit unfortunate. 

5 left footed central midfielders is a bit of an imbalance.

Few obvious players not available who would usually be there though - Tierney, Paterson, Griffiths and Naisy.

I agree with your ins/outs and I wouldn’t have four keepers either. I rate Clarke though so happy to see what he can do with that group.

If the Celtic or Rangers manager had been appointed as Scotland coach and immediately picked three uncapped players from the squad they just left there would be uproar. This is why I wanted a foreign coach with no attachment to Scotland. I realise I'm in the minority because everyone seems delighted with Clarke for some reason.

tokyowalnut
21 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

If the Celtic or Rangers manager had been appointed as Scotland coach and immediately picked three uncapped players from the squad they just left there would be uproar. This is why I wanted a foreign coach with no attachment to Scotland. I realise I'm in the minority because everyone seems delighted with Clarke for some reason.

Why do you not think Clarke is good enough? 

1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

No Rangers players!!

Based on last 3 months form, Berra was lucky to be in our squads.

A_A wehatethehibs

Build the team around Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Ryan Fraser, and Stuart Armstrong. They need to be getting as much game time as possible together in Blue jerseys - they are the top level players in that squad ABOVE any Celtic players in the pecking order. 

Clarke is the man to get that message across to the young players, the Scottish National team wants as many Scottish players playing in England as possible. And other top leagues too.

As for Rangers, they don’t really have any quality Scottish players that I’m aware of, other than McGregor who has packed in international football. Maybe Ryan Jack but he is not as good as any of the centre mids in the squad so it’s fair enough he is left out. 

19 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Why do you not think Clarke is good enough? 

He might be. I would've cast the net wider than Scotland, but what do I know? The sfa have an astounding record of appointing amazing national coaches, haven't they? I've just had the same discussion in the lunchroom at work. Everyone was scandalised at the suggestion there might be a better manager than Clarke available. I don't even think I'm in a minority, I think I'm alone.

Edited by Flimsy

AlimOzturk

Soutar and McKenna have to be the first choice pairing from now on IMO. let them develop an understanding. Andy Robertson should NOT be be moved to accomadate Teirney and once fit Naismth is still the best striking option available. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

That’s just a “see what we’ve got squad”

Id be trying to get McShagger back.

I thought that. Short time to select most part stick with what was there add the Killie boys who deserve it and then settle down. First two games he has a free pass

Cruyff Turn
11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

McNulty is not an international striker - FACT 

Not got much to choose from tbf.

tokyowalnut
5 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

He might be. I would've cast the net wider than Scotland, but what do I know? The sfa have an astounding record of appointing amazing national coaches, haven't they? I've just had the same discussion in the lunchroom at work. Everyone was scandalised at the suggestion there might be a better manager than Clarke available. I don't even think I'm in a minority, I think I'm alone.

I think had we had longer to look then possibly looking elsewhere could've been an option, but for someone who knows our players, league, expectations and was available immediately, he was the obvious choice!

Hopefully we have finally got the right person in.

luckyBatistuta

Would rather have 11 diddies who play well as a team, than just pick the same old shite, just because they play for, or have links to those two scummy clubs from the west. Happy enough with the squad, anything will be an improvement on what McLeish was serving up.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Not got much to choose from tbf.

This. Naismith only played half a season and he finishes as second top scoring Scottish CF in the SPL behind Brophy. 3rd top is Kenny fecking Miller with 8 goals ? 

Maroonblood22

That's a decent squad. As others have said we DO have good players available but this is the first manager in years I have confidence in to get the best out of them.

Probably the most optimistic I've been about Scotland in years!

11 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Is Paterson injured? Him up front with Forrest and Fraser on the wings would be good to see. 

Out for season 

King prawn

Where’s Tavanier asks one person on the BBC comments :lol:

Either trolling or a moron... 

Reminded me of the Antti Niemi he’s finished chat  

Bridge of Djoum

Scotland's striking options really are grim without Leigh Griffiths. 

Liam Palmer? Yeah...no. Not good enough. Folk calling for Shagger to be there. Nope. Has shown nothing but disrespect to the national team and fellow pro's. Apart from that a decent 1st squad. Good to see Killie players in there. 

In the past I've admitted I wanted Scotland horsed in the hope It'll force regime change or at the very least pick the right man for the job and not some ''OF'' has been. They've done that. I commend them for that. I'll still not be the greatest backer of the NT but I will at least hope they do well. 

Diadora Van Basten

I am not sure who will play fb and cf but I would go:

Bain

???? Soutar McKenna Robertson

Armstrong MacGregor

Forrest Cairney Fraser

????

So halkett is in the team of the season (I'm sure I remember seeing that) yet isn't near the Scotland squad?? Even if he hasn't signed for us I'd be questioning that, especially as McKenna is extremely over rated. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

So halkett is in the team of the season (I'm sure I remember seeing that) yet isn't near the Scotland squad?? Even if he hasn't signed for us I'd be questioning that, especially as McKenna is extremely over rated. 

He's only had 1 season in the top division, I'd say it's understandable myself. 

5 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Very good point.

Seems a decent squad. Clarke hopefully brings a fresh perspective, I don't think he's going to play favourites which can only be a good thing. He's a strong character and seems driven, which again makes me think squad selections will truly be done on merit.

Really lacking on the goalkeeping department. My hope is that Gunn could be convinced to switch but who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's only had 1 season in the top division, I'd say it's understandable myself. 

True, but it's been a damn good season, and if a player has played well over the season what does it matter if it's his 1st? He's shown more consistency in 1 season than a lot of 'scotland' players have over many!

And how many great seasons have Brophy, Findlay and Taylor had? (Honest question)

Edited by Gav M

Unknown user
Just now, Gav M said:

True, but it's been a damn good season, and if a player has played well over the season what does it matter if it's his 1st? He's shown more consistency in 1 season than a lot of 'scotland' players have over many!

It takes more than one decent season to make an international centre back. If he keeps it up he'll force his way in, but for now like I say, it seems understandable to me.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It takes more than one decent season to make an international centre back. If he keeps it up he'll force his way in, but for now like I say, it seems understandable to me.

Fair enough, I just feel like it's the best time to get these players involved, just had the best season of your career, get called up to the national squad, puts you on a good foot to push on and do even better next season. I'm not saying he would be a 1st choice, just that it seems like a good time to get him involved. I mean, ffs, Jack Hamilton got a call up after 'breaking in to' Heart 1st team squad.

Just a matter of opinion and I can understand both sides of it, not trying to start an argument (as so many on here seem to try)