Djoum - final talks

NB GIN

16 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Limited success? Scored in cup final 

I am talking about overall performances. He was average for relegated Patrick last season. He was average for nearly relegated st mirren. He ran about alot with little to no quality on the ball for 3/4 games towards the end of the season. He played fairly well in the final and scored. Does that mean he is good enough for a team challenging in the top end. No, I wouldn't suggest it does. Pretty short sighted to use 1 goal as rationale  and I'd put money on the fact that should we start the season with him as part of our midfield we'll be in a bad way.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• IveSeenTheLight

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mr Elwood P

better_call_saul
21 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

I thought Edwards along with Hickey performed very well in the cup final. The inclusion of both, having made 5 appearances between them until that point, does little to dispel the notion that Levein doesn't know his best side come the end of the season 

I'm still not quite sure why Edwards was only given a chance in the final few weeks of the season. Only one man knows the answer 

Injuries dictated that places were up for grabs.

CL went for players who were in form to fill the gaps. Edwards got the nod ecause of how well he had played the previous week at Parkhead.

It's not rocket surgery.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

End of the day, perform on the pitch, I don't really give a shit if they are a simpleton or not (as long as they aren't breaking the law kids)

maidstonejambo
13 minutes ago, kila said:

All he did was like the goal alert on twitter did he not? Presumably because his team mate at the time scored :laugh:

Crime of the century - forget the Cup Final goal, the guy liked a St Mirren goal on social media!! :o 

13 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

You reckon.... I thought he was congratulating a then team mate on a cracking goal regardless of opposition. Depends how sensitive you wish to be I guess 

He was very poorly treated from the outset. He has come back and been used in final weeks of the season after being shunned for months and low and behold - he's contributed well to the side 

I couldn't care less either way, his tweet didn't bother me personally. I only commented to offer a possible reason as to why he wasn't given a chance until towards the end of the season. Maybe there are things written into players contracts or loan agreements about how they conduct themselves while they're away from the club? Maybe he's fallen foul of something like that? I dunno, just offering a suggestion. Either way, he did well when he got his chance, scored in the cup final (1 of only 16 Hearts players ever to do that) and for me deserves a shot at being a first team regular next season.

Roland Rat
5 minutes ago, maidstonejambo said:

I couldn't care less either way, his tweet didn't bother me personally. I only commented to offer a possible reason as to why he wasn't given a chance until towards the end of the season. Maybe there are things written into players contracts or loan agreements about how they conduct themselves while they're away from the club? Maybe he's fallen foul of something like that? I dunno, just offering a suggestion. Either way, he did well when he got his chance, scored in the cup final (1 of only 16 Hearts players ever to do that) and for me deserves a shot at being a first team regular next season.

I agree mate. He has done well since getting a chance and can hopefully stake a claim next season 

He can certainly get about the park. His goal in the final was a great midfielders goal 

David McCaig
43 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Limited success? Scored in cup final 

Limited success... Hearts have lost every match he's played in!!!

Just now, David McCaig said:

Limited success... Hearts have lost every match he's played in!!!

Same with Aaron Hickey. Better give up on him as well. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

Same with Aaron Hickey. Better give up on him as well. 

Hickey will go on to play for Scotland.

Edwards will never in even the most surreal of parallel universes go on to become the new Paul Hartley!!

Edwards is a useful player to have, specifically in games where we need energy and someone who will chase me close space. 

Ability wise he he doesn’t look to be of a great standard and is nowhere close to Djoum, or even the likes of Lee or Bozanic in technical ability. 

Certainly not the answer to replacing Djoum but a useful squad player. 

better_call_saul
40 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

Edwards is a useful player to have, specifically in games where we need energy and someone who will chase me close space. 

Ability wise he he doesn’t look to be of a great standard and is nowhere close to Djoum, or even the likes of Lee or Bozanic in technical ability. 

Certainly not the answer to replacing Djoum but a useful squad player. 

Folk said that about Ross Callachan and he got chased out the door.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’ve got one, Edwards can be that man. 

He might be but so far nothing suggests he will be. 

More like a Callachan type. 

Run about a lot, take bad touches, fall over a lot but ofc score the odd goal. 

Hopefully your right, but if we want to control games and finish higher than 6th Edwards is not the answer. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Roland Rat
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hopefully your right, bu if we want to control games and finish higher than 6th Edwards is not the answer. 

Either is Djoum based on 3 shite seasons he's been here. Unless of course we include the heady heights of 3rd under Neilson with no Rangers or Hibs 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Roland Rat said:

I thought Edwards along with Hickey performed very well in the cup final. The inclusion of both, having made 5 appearances between them until that point, does little to dispel the notion that Levein doesn't know his best side come the end of the season 

I'm still not quite sure why Edwards was only given a chance in the final few weeks of the season. Only one man knows the answer 

Hickey was fantastic, especially for a 16 year old but unlikely the answer for a entire season. He's 16.

Hickey played as Ben and Mitchell got injured for the season,  so don't know what you mean about CL not knowing the best side?

Edwards done reasonably well when he came in, however had Lee and Naismith been fit then again I don't think he'd have played in the final. 

Really good management by CL not to play Edwards too soon, as you've seen some fans reaction to Wighton and Clare, we can be an inpatient support and give players little time to settle. 

I'd also guess at least two men know the answer to your question. ?

scott herbertson

You reckon.... I thought he was congratulating a then team mate on a cracking goal regardless of opposition. Depends how sensitive you wish to be I guess 

He was very poorly treated from the outset. He has come back and been used in final weeks of the season after being shunned for months and low and behold - he's contributed well to the side 

It's true. He performed ok in the preseason friendlies then did very little and the moaners on kickback turned on him as a dud. Fortunately our manager is more patient and showed faith in the player to come good.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Either is Djoum based on 3 shite seasons he's been here. Unless of course we include the heady heights of 3rd under Neilson with no Rangers or Hibs 

???

So he's not the answer if you discount the season we did finish 3rd with him..... 

Fantastic stuff

He was also injured for months the season before last. 

Roland Rat
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

???

So he's not the answer if you discount the season we did finish 3rd with him..... 

Fantastic stuff

You appear to struggling with differing views mate 

Djoum arrived in September of the year we finished 3rd with no Hibe or Rangers. You'll be aware Rangers have since finished ahead of us in each of their 3 years back and Hibs in their two years back 

He has been part of a side that have been largely very poor for the last 3 years. At 30 with the injury record you cite and the apparent desire for significant readies, I'd thank him for his contribution and look elsewhere 

Roland Rat
12 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hickey was fantastic, especially for a 16 year old but unlikely the answer for a entire season. He's 16.

Hickey played as Ben and Mitchell got injured for the season,  so don't know what you mean about CL not knowing the best side?

Edwards done reasonably well when he came in, however had Lee and Naismith been fit then again I don't think he'd have played in the final. 

Really good management by CL not to play Edwards too soon, as you've seen some fans reaction to Wighton and Clare, we can be an inpatient support and give players little time to settle. 

I'd also guess at least two men know the answer to your question. ?

Edwards has gone from "running about a lot and falling over" to doing "reasonably well". Grudging praise I guess you could call it 

Really good management on Levein's part not to "play him too soon". Ok then. A guy of 25 with over 100 games at this level needed to wait until May for his first exposure.....

As for the other two you choose to highlight. Clare needs to contribute far more than he has to date. Far too frequently he's anonymous for long spells. Wighton has quite frankly been atrocious whenever he's played. To think we reportedly shelled out around £200,000 to get him. He's been rank rotten and that's not something where you can flog fellow fans for seeing him for being what he's been 

Fit or unfit - I'd have had Olly Lee nowhere near the cup final starting 11. Slowest player I can honestly say I've ever seen at Tynecastle. Utter crap 

Edited by Roland Rat

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Roland Rat said:

You appear to struggling with differing views mate 

Djoum arrived in September of the year we finished 3rd with no Hibe or Rangers. You'll be aware Rangers have since finished ahead of us in each of their 3 years back and Hibs in their two years back 

He has been part of a side that have been largely very poor for the last 3 years. At 30 with the injury record you cite and the apparent desire for significant readies, I'd thank him for his contribution and look elsewhere 

Not struggling at all, just correcting you, you can't use the line of he's part of a team that has underperformed in the league (6th place finishes) and discount  the season when we finished 3rd with him in the team. 

That's ridiculous. 

I'd keep him if possible and if he goes we'll need to replace as Edwards imo is not good enough as a replacement, nor is Lee or Bozanic for that matter. 

In fact if one or even two of the above left it wouldn't Suprise me either. 

Imo we are losing our best midfielder in an area we already need to improve. 

Not great. 

Hardly irreplaceable tho, so hopefully a couple of astute signings lined up. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Roland Rat said:

Edwards has gone from "running about a lot and falling over" to doing "reasonably well". Grudging praise I guess you could call it 

Really good management on Levein's part not to "play him too soon". Ok then. A guy of 25 with over 100 games at this level needed to wait until May for his first exposure.....

As for the other two you choose to highlight. Clare needs to contribute far more than he has to date. Far too frequently he's anonymous for long spells. Wighton has quite frankly been atrocious whenever he's played. To think we reportedly shelled out around £200,000 to get him. He's been rank rotten and that's not something where you can flog fellow fans for seeing him for being what he's been 

Ok, I'll let you crack on. 

Not sure who you were before but your posting style is familiar. 

Negative, repetitive  obviously not a fan of CL. 

Knock yourself out. 

Roland Rat

Not struggling at all, just correcting you, you can't use the line of he's part of a team that has underperformed in the league (6th place finishes) and discount  the season when we finished 3rd with him in the team. 

That's ridiculous. 

I'd keep him if possible and if he goes we'll need to replace as Edwards imo is not good enough as a replacement, nor is Lee or Bozanic for that matter. 

In fact if one or even two of the above left it wouldn't Suprise me either. 

Imo we are losing our best midfielder in an area we already need to improve. 

Not great. 

Hardly irreplaceable tho, so hopefully a couple of astute signings lined up. 

He's been here for 3 full seasons. In which we've finished 5th, 6th & 6th. His first season wasn't a full season yet we finished 3rd, in a league without Rangers & Hibs. They have both repeatedly finished ahead of us since. That's surely undeniable 

We need major surgery in midfield 

Roland Rat
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Ok, I'll let you crack on. 

Not sure who you were before but your posting style is familiar. 

Negative, repetitive  obviously not a fan of CL. 

Knock yourself out. 

Like I said - you appear to have an issue with views that aren't commensurate with your own 

Levein isn't doing himself any favours with 6th place finishes mate. People aren't content with that and will express dissatisfaction accordingly 

23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

???

Fantastic stuff

But neither was Robbie Neilson any good - so at least there is consistency....

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Like I said - you appear to have an issue with views that aren't commensurate with your own 

Levein isn't doing himself any favours with 6th place finishes mate. People aren't content with that and will express dissatisfaction accordingly 

Ok, I'll bite. 

I don't have any issues with opinions that aren't mine, just those that are lies or selective, like you using the poor league finishes as a reason to help your view that Djoum is poor and omitting the 3rd place finish. 

Also on that line of thinking, Edwards was part of a midfield that got relegated. 

So when having an opinion do try and show consistency in your train of thought or your opinion, which you're entitled to isn't backed up by the reasoning  behind it?

In fact, you start to look a little silly-

Djoum is part of a poor midfield (6th place finishes) at the same time argueing that a guy who has been part of a midfield that was relegated should have been playing sooner. 

Makes no sense, eh? 

The problem isn't your opinion, it's the reasoning behind it I'm having difficulty with. 

Roland Rat

Ok, I'll bite. 

I don't have any issues with opinions that aren't mine, just those that are lies or selective, like you using the poor league finishes as a reason to help your view that Djoum is poor and omitting the 3rd place finish. 

Also on that line of thinking, Edwards was part of a midfield that got relegated. 

So when having an opinion do try and show consistency in your train of thought or your opinion, which you're entitled to isn't backed up by the reasoning  behind it?

In fact, you start to look a little silly-

Djoum is part of a poor midfield (6th place finishes) at the same time argueing that a guy who has been part of a midfield that was relegated should have been playing sooner. 

Makes no sense, eh? 

The problem isn't your opinion, it's the reasoning behind it I'm having difficulty with. 

Nah I've read a number of your posts and you get involved with opinions which differ from your own. This discussion is going nowhere. You are clearly pissed that I suggest 3rd place under Neilson wasn't much of an achievement given the two teams who weren't there and who've finished ahead of us repeatedly since 

Given the football on show for the past 3 years I'd be looking to change our midfield materially. That involves allowing Djoum to leave and shifting that imposter that you've named yourself after 

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

He's been here for 3 full seasons. In which we've finished 5th, 6th & 6th. His first season wasn't a full season yet we finished 3rd, in a league without Rangers & Hibs. They have both repeatedly finished ahead of us since. That's surely undeniable 

We need major surgery in midfield 

You can’t really blame him for that though. He’s been injured in that period too. Souttar has been here for the last three seasons too.

I must’ve missed him moving to Rangers last month.

96A0697B-2F7F-44E2-B35E-1A785B812995.png

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hopefully your right, but if we want to control games and finish higher than 6th Edwards is not the answer. 

We’ll never play controlling football, certainly not at home. It’ll be fast and furious stuff. The pitch is too tight at Tynie to pass the ball around in a tika taka sense, teams can park the bus too easily and it’s not wide enough to stretch teams. We need to be direct, that doesn’t necessarily mean we go route one but we need to move it quickly and switch it quick to catch teams out. That means we need players that are very fit and can press, fight, track runners as well as get forward. We also need guys with excellent control who can take one touch and pass it forward, which we don’t have at the moment in midfield.

Edwards is quite quick, very fit. Better player than Callachan but he can go box to box quickly and can keep up with play. He’s got a bit of learning to do but has the right attitude. Sir Paul wasn’t all that in his first season, granted he always had the ability to be as good as he became.

Agree though, we need better players in midfield but I think Edwards could have a role to play here because he offers something different and his fitness & pace means he can get into free spaces quite often.

2 hours ago, bistokid said:

I am talking about overall performances. He was average for relegated Patrick last season. He was average for nearly relegated st mirren. He ran about alot with little to no quality on the ball for 3/4 games towards the end of the season. He played fairly well in the final and scored. Does that mean he is good enough for a team challenging in the top end. No, I wouldn't suggest it does. Pretty short sighted to use 1 goal as rationale  and I'd put money on the fact that should we start the season with him as part of our midfield we'll be in a bad way.

And since when have we done that?

Edwards looks decent for where we are.

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

Nah I've read a number of your posts and you get involved with opinions which differ from your own. This discussion is going nowhere. You are clearly pissed that I suggest 3rd place under Neilson wasn't much of an achievement given the two teams who weren't there and who've finished ahead of us repeatedly since 

Given the football on show for the past 3 years I'd be looking to change our midfield materially. That involves allowing Djoum to leave and shifting that imposter that you've named yourself after 

Ofc I get involved with folk with different opinions, you are doing that also BTW.... 

So in summary on This thread your logic is-

Given the football on show you want Djoum and Lee moved on  and because they are part of a midfield and team that finished 6th and that isn't good enough. 

Makes some sense on the front of it, however.... 

On the same hand you have a go at CL for not giving a midfielder who was in a midfield that was relegated a chance sooner?

:levein_interesting:

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’ll never play controlling football, certainly not at home. It’ll be fast and furious stuff. The pitch is too tight at Tynie to pass the ball around in a tika taka sense, teams can park the bus too easily and it’s not wide enough to stretch teams. We need to be direct, that doesn’t necessarily mean we go route one but we need to move it quickly and switch it quick to catch teams out. That means we need players that are very fit and can press, fight, track runners as well as get forward. We also need guys with excellent control who can take one touch and pass it forward, which we don’t have at the moment in midfield.

Edwards is quite quick, very fit. Better player than Callachan but he can go box to box quickly and can keep up with play. He’s got a bit of learning to do but has the right attitude. Sir Paul wasn’t all that in his first season, granted he always had the ability to be as good as he became.

Agree though, we need better players in midfield but I think Edwards could have a role to play here because he offers something different and his fitness & pace means he can get into free spaces quite often.

Agree, he can be a squad player if he is happy with that. 

Decent option. 

Does bring something different to the table. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I think we tried to do that early in the season, play controlling football, in the main we played it well, because we were sharp in the final third.

However the tale of the season was mainly blunt in the final third, which ended repeatedly with the ball going backwards, which then leads to this misconception we are a long ball team.

The long ball was a consequence of the ineptitude to make any movement forwards in the final third.

Having just watched the cup final, we really didn't play any differently to how we had for months previous.

2 key differences, Celtic are an attacking team and the pitch is bigger. Balls were landing in areas where we could win 2nd balls and retain some good possession higher up.

There is a 3rd difference, nature of the occasion, our adrenalin and therefore energy was elevated.

Tynecastle has been sitting on its hands for most of the season, adrenalin is low, a whole different debate, please no replies as to why :)

Edited by Sir Gio

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

And since when have we done that?

Edwards looks decent for where we are.

Well why bother changing anything. He looks utterly average for where we are. A miserable 6th place for us next season. 

And top end I mean top 3/4. And we've done that very often.

As for the comparison with Djoum, yeesh. 

Whilst I was hoping Levein would step down, I still have confidence he knows what he has with Edwards, and that's not very much beyond energy. I think we'll look to upgrade in midfield again, give the youngsters more game time - both of which should mean he's moved on. 

9 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Well why bother changing anything. He looks utterly average for where we are. A miserable 6th place for us next season. 

And top end I mean top 3/4. And we've done that very often.

As for the comparison with Djoum, yeesh. 

Whilst I was hoping Levein would step down, I still have confidence he knows what he has with Edwards, and that's not very much beyond energy. I think we'll look to upgrade in midfield again, give the youngsters more game time - both of which should mean he's moved on. 

Fair enough, we have different ideas off what constitutes top end.

We need an overhaul of the club to get back to regularly challenging for the euro spots. Until that happens Edwards is fine.

Roland Rat
34 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Ofc I get involved with folk with different opinions, you are doing that also BTW.... 

So in summary on This thread your logic is-

Given the football on show you want Djoum and Lee moved on  and because they are part of a midfield and team that finished 6th and that isn't good enough. 

Makes some sense on the front of it, however.... 

On the same hand you have a go at CL for not giving a midfielder who was in a midfield that was relegated a chance sooner?

I'm suggesting that a player signed in May 2018 with over 100 appearances at this level, just might have been worthy of a debut before May 2019

I'm also saying our midfield requires a major overhaul and that includes punting Olly Lee, who I consider to be utter shite 

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Roland Rat said:

I'm suggesting that a player signed in May 2018 with over 100 appearances at this level, just might have been worthy of a debut before May 2019

I'm also saying our midfield requires a major overhaul and that includes punting Olly Lee, who I consider to be utter shite 

So you'd punt our midfielder with the highest assists and 2nd most goals from midfield for a player who was in a midfield that was relegated.

At the same time you'd punt Djoum as he was part of a midfield that can only finish 6th.

Your other reasoning is that Edwards with over 100 games should have been given a chance , Djoum also has over 100 appearances in our league and many more in Holland and Poland but your happy to punt him. 

I'm struggling with your logic here. 

I can't be the only one. You seem to contradict yourself.

Basically to improve our midfield you'd punt two of our best/ most effective and feel that replacing him with a player that has played at a lower level, has less goals/ assists / caps / experience over thier career to date would have been the answer last season and possibly is the answer next season. 

I'm not with you on your reasoning, you are make little or no sense on this matter. 

If Djoum goes we'll need another replacement. 

On Lee, like Edwards imo he maybe a useful squad/ rotation option, but I wouldn't want him to be in our top 3 midfield players for next season. 

johnking123

If when Djoum leaves. We will need a good quality replacement . Bryson would be good replacement and as he finishes his career.  Our youngsters will be a couple of years older, stronger and ready for games week after week.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I like Djoum got no time for Lee definitely a role as a spare part, job needs done type for Edwards. 

Cochrane McDonald Irving all need games before we even get to Connor Smith. 

Here's a question to Football First or Mikey. 

Could Connor Smith play further forwards still? Poaching?

Roland Rat
10 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

So you'd punt our midfielder with the highest assists and 2nd most goals from midfield for a player who was in a midfield that was relegated.

At the same time you'd punt Djoum as he was part of a midfield that can only finish 6th.

Your other reasoning is that Edwards with over 100 games should have been given a chance , Djoum also has over 100 appearances in our league and many more in Holland and Poland but your happy to punt him. 

I'm struggling with your logic here. 

I can't be the only one. You seem to contradict yourself.

Basically to improve our midfield you'd punt two of our best/ most effective and feel that replacing him with a player that has played at a lower level, has less goals/ assists / caps / experience over thier career to date would have been the answer last season and possibly is the answer next season. 

I'm not with you on your reasoning, you are make little or no sense on this matter. 

If Djoum goes we'll need another replacement. 

On Lee, like Edwards imo he maybe a useful squad/ rotation option, but I wouldn't want him to be in our top 3 midfield players for next season. 

You are all over the place with this post and other previous. You are banging on repeatedly about Edwards being relegated with Partick Thistle.  I know he was relegated with them. What has that got to do with anything? I base my assessment of our midfield needing major surgery based on what I've witnessed not only this season, but the last few. Djoum has been part of an under performing midfield and it's my view that we should move on and try something different. I also believe Olly Lee is way below the standard we require. That is only my view however 

I do find it odd that Edwards went on loan without featuring and then came back in January only to debut in May. Not a cameo in isolation either considering his appearance in cup final, where he performed well in my view 

I've not suggested Edwards replace Djoum or Lee just in order to address any misunderstanding. I believe Djoum should and will go and Lee is incredibly one paced and basically unfit for purpose. 

The midfield requires vast attention with really only Haring likely to be a starter after Djoum's likely departure. We certainly need more mobility, athleticism and energy in that area than what we've seen in there over the past few years. Edwards has added that in the few appearances he's been afforded to date. But we need far more quality in that area than we have at present.  

As well as Lee I'd also punt Bozanic. We aren't going to get top 3/4 with those types. Harsh as that may sound 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

I think we tried to do that early in the season, play controlling football, in the main we played it well, because we were sharp in the final third.

However the tale of the season was mainly blunt in the final third, which ended repeatedly with the ball going backwards, which then leads to this misconception we are a long ball team.

The long ball was a consequence of the ineptitude to make any movement forwards in the final third.

Having just watched the cup final, we really didn't play any differently to how we had for months previous.

2 key differences, Celtic are an attacking team and the pitch is bigger. Balls were landing in areas where we could win 2nd balls and retain some good possession higher up.

There is a 3rd difference, nature of the occasion, our adrenalin and therefore energy was elevated.

Tynecastle has been sitting on its hands for most of the season, adrenalin is low, a whole different debate, please no replies as to why :)

Really good synopsis of the final Sir Gio. Other points about how we should play at home are really interesting on the thread as well. Playing one up top at Tynecastle is self defeating as players need to play close to each other. Naismith is that craft to unlock teams in the final third but the issue is when he is absent. One option we have not had for a while is that attacking midfielder making runs into the box who will get goals. Interestingly this is what Ross Callachan was good at but other aspects of his game let him down. 

We are very predictable though, get the ball wide clip it into to the box all the time. Squaring the ball off to the edge of the box and shooting from distance would provide some variation there. Maybe something to work on and a quality to look for in a new midfielder. In truth you could easily get rid of Lee (too slow), Bozanic (doesn't look forward enough) and Edwards (good attitude but technically very limited) to give some of our young players opportunities. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Really good synopsis of the final Sir Gio. Other points about how we should play at home are really interesting on the thread as well. Playing one up top at Tynecastle is self defeating as players need to play close to each other. Naismith is that craft to unlock teams in the final third but the issue is when he is absent. One option we have not had for a while is that attacking midfielder making runs into the box who will get goals. Interestingly this is what Ross Callachan was good at but other aspects of his game let him down. 

We are very predictable though, get the ball wide clip it into to the box all the time. Squaring the ball off to the edge of the box and shooting from distance would provide some variation there. Maybe something to work on and a quality to look for in a new midfielder. In truth you could easily get rid of Lee (too slow), Bozanic (doesn't look forward enough) and Edwards (good attitude but technically very limited) to give some of our young players opportunities. 

I found this part incredibly frustrating, you have a player like Ikpeazu, instead of getting close to him, we observed from a distance. Possibly because getting a pass was unlikely, but that's not a reason

Bazzas right boot

You are all over the place with this post and other previous. You are banging on repeatedly about Edwards being relegated with Partick Thistle.  I know he was relegated with them. What has that got to do with anything? I base my assessment of our midfield needing major surgery based on what I've witnessed not only this season, but the last few. Djoum has been part of an under performing midfield and it's my view that we should move on and try something different. I also believe Olly Lee is way below the standard we require. That is only my view however 

I do find it odd that Edwards went on loan without featuring and then came back in January only to debut in May. Not a cameo in isolation either considering his appearance in cup final, where he performed well in my view 

I've not suggested Edwards replace Djoum or Lee just in order to address any misunderstanding. I believe Djoum should and will go and Lee is incredibly one paced and basically unfit for purpose. 

The midfield requires vast attention with really only Haring likely to be a starter after Djoum's likely departure. We certainly need more mobility, athleticism and energy in that area than what we've seen in there over the past few years. Edwards has added that in the few appearances he's been afforded to date. But we need far more quality in that area than we have at present.  

As well as Lee I'd also punt Bozanic. We aren't going to get top 3/4 with those types. Harsh as that may sound 

Because you rubbished Djoum as he was part of  failed midfield who finished 6th, but you champion a midfielder that was part of a midfield that ended up 11th. Read up. You even repeat it in the first paragraph. not rating Djoum is fine, but if it is because of the 6th place finish then your championing of Edwards is completely and utterly flawed.

Anyway, The rest of your post is far more logical and balanced and makes sense.

I tend to agree but think at our level Lee and Edwards are good squad players, along with Cochrane we'll have adequate cover. A club at our level won't have like for like cover in every position. If we replace Djoum, get another midfielder in, a winger and along with Naismith we will have a totally different look to our midfield, not to mention the 2 x cf that CL is after.

We will be more balanced and have more pace and therefor more dangerous.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

I found this part incredibly frustrating, you have a player like Ikpeazu, instead of getting close to him, we observed from a distance. Possibly because getting a pass was unlikely, but that's not a reason

One up top isn't that frustrating if you have guys supporting. One up front is normal for teams that score lots of goals as well, I'd suggest Naismith being injured and having limited width again latterly due to injuries was more debilitating than one up front.

Clare also  replacing Naismith wasn't great he wasn't ready for that .

Lee was pretty much our only midfielder that you felt would hit a shot or score from open play, not great.

I'm all for 2 up front, but playing one up front in a 451 with the right balance is also good. I am hopeful, 3/4 good signings and we'll have a good balance and options.

7 hours ago, Roland Rat said:

Hi Roland. Don’t take this the wrong way, or take offence. ?

Who were you previously on here? 

Reading between the lines it seems to me that Djoum is hoping for a good offer from another club.  Wants to leave.

If that offer doesn't materialise he will stay but will he be committed?  Two options.  He either tries his heart out to get a move later or he drifts.  Would be surprised if he signed a new contract with us for more than 1 year.

7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Reading between the lines it seems to me that Djoum is hoping for a good offer from another club. 

If that offer doesn't materialise he will stay but will he be committed?  Two options.  He either tries his heart out to get a move later or he drifts.  

You could have said this for most of the transfer windows since he arrived.

Rocky jamboa

It doesn't seem like he is overly keen to stay, based on how long hes taking to sign up, so reckon we should let him go and get a replacement in.

pettigrewsstylist
9 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We are going to end up resigning this clown , all these supposed suitors are thinning out one by one . 

Which tells you all you need to know. Completely ineffective IMO. If i want tidy ill head for Ikea.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

40 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We are going to end up resigning this clown , all these supposed suitors are thinning out one by one . 

Opinions.  I've seen him play for 90 minutes in two games, one for his country and the SC final.  I thought he was brilliant in the first and very good in the second.  No doubt in my mind that he's a good player.

On the other hand it seems clear that he is inconsistent and really frustrates the support.  I presume that's why you describe him as a clown.

For the above reasons I don't care much whether he stays or goes.  If he stays but shows no real commitment, he should be axed from the 1st team squad.