• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• IveSeenTheLight

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mr Elwood P

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Why are people throwing around 9K in reference to Hearts re any player?!!?

Do these people get out much or have any understanding remotely close to our set up and wage bill since Admin????

Even the chat of saying we would consider paying AD half of that ??????

Bizarre.... ??

Exactly. I very much doubt we'll be paying anyone even near half that, certainly not a basic wage, not even Naismith. 

3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Do these people get out much or have any understanding remotely close to our set up and wage bill since Admin????

Bizarre.... ??

I wouldn’t try to make sense of this place....

I think Djoum is dicking us around. Should have made up his mind by now. Hope he stays, good player but if he goes we'll survive.

Jambof3tornado
On 30/05/2019 at 20:51, Cynic said:

I think Djoum is dicking us around. Should have made up his mind by now. Hope he stays, good player but if he goes we'll survive.

Certainly keeping his options open.

rudi must stay
On 30/05/2019 at 22:11, red said:

Should be 3k per week max for AD. Anymore is bad business imo 

3k for a man with 10 caps + for Cameroon? In today's market he's due 8-10, maybe more. And I don't mind saying that. Plus a great final.

Pull out all the stops, and I'm sure Levein and Ann Budge are

Edited by rudi must stay

Unknown user
On 30/05/2019 at 16:51, GavK1012 said:

Bizarre.... ??

I think it's more that this is what he's rumoured to have been offered abroad, so it's what we'd have to match to keep him. 

To be fair I’m surprised that we didn’t get a decent offer for an AFCON winner before now - no matter what we think of him.

Edited by Jammy T

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think it's more that this is what he's rumoured to have been offered abroad, so it's what we'd have to match to keep him. 

Even better, as we will be offering about a third of that so its a nailed on bye bye AD.... ☺

6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

3k for a man with 10 caps + for Cameroon? In today's market he's due 8-10, maybe more. And I don't mind saying that. Plus a great final.

Pull out all the stops ????

For a guy who contributes very little other than a lot of yellow cards (poorly timed tackles, not to be confused with desire or application unfortunately) and frustration on the part of a lot of fans who can see his heart and mind have been elsewhere since he picked up a winners medal with his country....

Its a joke CL has allowed this to even be up for debate...its his right clearly to seek greater monies elsewhere but why would we (even if you like him in a Hearts top) be interested in holding up plans for some 6 months on the premise he may sign up again if he doesnt get cash thrown at him from elsewhere...

Very poor message from CL and goes against other players previously who havent signed up or signed an extension and were pushed out the door by CL....

Knowing our luck its highly likely he wont get daft money elsewhere and will sign for us again which is a backward move for the club.... ?

6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I'm not sure I'm pulling out all the stops and throwing a long term big contract at a guy who has bags of ability but is massively inconsistent.

He can be very good or totally anonymous. Does he have a burning desire today I'd suggest not or he'd have signed again. Is he entitled to try for as much money as possible of course. Long term is he worth it, I don't think so. 

The longer you wait for him you start to potentially to miss out on other targets. He either signs or he doesn't. I think maybe the time has come for him to move on.

8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Do you think we should be paying Djoum £9k a week?

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Pull out all the stops ????

For a guy who contributes very little other than a lot of yellow cards (poorly timed tackles, not to be confused with desire or application unfortunately) and frustration on the part of a lot of fans who can see his heart and mind have been elsewhere since he picked up a winners medal with his country....

Its a joke CL has allowed this to even be up for debate...its his right clearly to seek greater monies elsewhere but why would we (even if you like him in a Hearts top) be interested in holding up plans for some 6 months on the premise he may sign up again if he doesnt get cash thrown at him from elsewhere...

Very poor message from CL and goes against other players previously who havent signed up or signed an extension and were pushed out the door by CL....

Knowing our luck its highly likely he wont get daft money elsewhere and will sign for us again which is a backward move for the club.... ?

Djoum is the best football player, minus Naismith, we have at the club. He plays in a role he isn’t suited too, a clogger, to help the team out every week and does it without hesitation. In a team with better players to play with and better movement up front he’ll be a great asset. Sad to see him go. 

On 30/05/2019 at 16:51, GavK1012 said:

Bizarre.... ??

Hearts pay i think its 56/57% on wages , Rangers and Dundee over 70% no chance Ann Budge will move the goalposts on that its a good place to be. Aberdeen and Hibs are similar I believe. Rangers smashing out 70+% is just asking for trouble if they don’t catch Celtic fast.

AD is a good player but no chance we should even be considering 4k a week for him never mind the crazy figures quoted. If Hibs or Aberdeen want to pay him that cyyyya!!!

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Djoum is the best football player, minus Naismith, we have at the club. He plays in a role he isn’t suited too, a clogger, to help the team out every week and does it without hesitation. In a team with better players to play with and better movement up front he’ll be a great asset. Sad to see him go. 

Absolutely ?? He was far more effective with Adao in the team , With Haring and Naismith he’d thrive i think but if he goes he goes. 

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I wouldnt disagree with you re potentially he is up there as a footballer in the truest sense...in fact I would say he definitely is re his first 6 months or 3/4 of a season when he arrived....it looked like we had a Mickey Cameron mark II on our hands re a late runner into the box that posed a threat in the opponents goal...he was on fire....

His natural ability isnt the issue for me, its clearly his mindset and desire thats the problem and one he has gotten away with far too long in a Hearts top... ?

Edited by GavK1012

33 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

I wouldnt disagree with you re potentially he is up there as a footballer in the truest sense...in fact I would say he definitely is re his first 6 months or 3/4 of a season when he arrived....it looked like we had a Mickey Cameron mark II on our hands re a late runner into the box that posed a threat in the opponents goal...he was on fire....

His natural ability isnt the issue for me, its clearly his mindset and desire thats the problem and one he has gotten away with far too long in a Hearts top... ?

Given the way players gave quickly been jettisoned/ostracised for apparent poor attitude and application, I really struggle that there is “clearly” a problem in this area with Djoum. He’s been consistently picked (when fit, of course) during his four seasons with us. All in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I really struggle with people who categorical state he has an issue with his mental approach and application. Do people seriously think Levein would pick a player who didn’t try his best, given the number or cases which suggest otherwise? 

On 29/05/2019 at 10:46, Smithee said:

To be fair we weren't able to compete when Cypriot giants signed Bruno Aguiar and Christos Karipidis ten years ago either

Good point.

41 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Last season, not the one that’s just past, I’d agree about his mindset. He clearly didn’t enjoy being stuck in that midfield with the dross around him and he looked uninterested. He hasn’t been like that this season. He’s done a job in a position he doesn’t naturally play. He’s clearly a footballer and looks great with time and movement ahead of him, in his role just now he doesn’t get either. I think he’s key to what we wanna do going forward, think that’s why Levein hasn’t given him the Vanecek/Sammon/Martin treatment. Be a big loss to us. 

9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

On that logic you should be touting £90K a week for Aaron Hughes.

A great final, that made me laugh!

Djoum is a very good player and easily one of our best players.  Saying that 3.5k a week is where i would draw the line.  

Bazzas right boot

Djoum is our best midfielder. 

He's the only one that can go past a man, doesn't hide, tries to put his foot on the ball and has a bit composure. Also a big unit that gets stuck in. 

He's well ahead of Lee, Bozanic and Cochrane, also more of a midfielder than Haring although Haring does a good job. 

If he goes, he'll need replaced as none of our players are at his level. 

If we want to move up a level we'll need to pay our best players £5-7k, this is what Aberdeen are rumoured to be paying. 

Even replacements like Bryson and the likes will be on around that I'd think. 

If we don't pay this, players like Lee, Callachan etc will be our level as that is what you get for £2k, give or take a few hundred. 

Even with that, they'll want to move if they hit form or get to thier peak. 

Souttar, Berra etc must be on about £5/6k?

Anyone have any idea of our wage structure? 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Robbo-Jambo
9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

No way he is worth 8 to 10k a week. 

Anyway we don't pay anybody that kind of money these days and rightly so.

Steven Naismith included. 

11 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He's the only one that can go past a man, doesn't hide, tries to put his foot on the ball and has a bit composure. Also a big unit that gets stuck in. 

He's well ahead of Lee, Bozanic and Cochrane, also more of a midfielder than Haring although Haring does a good job. 

If we want to move up a level we'll need to pay our best players £5-7k, this is what Aberdeen are rumoured to be paying. 

If we don't pay this, players like Lee, Callachan etc will be our level as that is what you get for £2k, give or take a few hundred. 

Exactly. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

Do you think we should be paying Djoum £9k a week?

If we have it and it won't hurt us financially then yes

Edited by rudi must stay

It's all about opinions, isn't it. One thing for sure is that in term of talent Djoum is up there.

The reality though is that if he had the commitment and application he'd be playing for a club that pays a lot more money than Hearts.

For me, he is a luxury we can't afford.

There is not exactly a queue of people wanting him is there, even the Old Firm don't think it's worth the bother.

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

Given the way players gave quickly been jettisoned/ostracised for apparent poor attitude and application, I really struggle that there is “clearly” a problem in this area with Djoum. He’s been consistently picked (when fit, of course) during his four seasons with us. All in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I really struggle with people who categorical state he has an issue with his mental approach and application. Do people seriously think Levein would pick a player who didn’t try his best, given the number or cases which suggest otherwise? 

On paper I would agree with you re Levein and him not picking a player who has downed tools mentally...I would just temper that however by saying this isnt the Levein of old and if you look at our performances and lack of over last 3 years, AD has played his part in this team....we all know about league positions and under performing....

I struggle to think why Levein persists with him tbh....somewhat baffling from my vantage....

Look at his goals/assists as an example...thats why he was brought..to hurt teams in the last third....thats what he done first 6 months...goals....compare that to his stats in the 3 years since.....speaks volumes no matter how much folk say he is playing out of position etc....

He is never a holding midfielder....tops the yellow card league this season along with 2 others, as he cant tackle cleanly or get in the right position in the first instance...

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Agree with all that but I would be disappointed if we paid Djoum 9k, particularly if Souttar & Berra are on 5-6k. At that point as good as Djoum is he isn't worth breaking the bank for.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Without knowing what the budget actually is, none of us are well enough informed to know what to do.

Length of contract I would imagine will again be a key factor

Djoum is a decent player no doubt about it, but for a long time he’s lacked something, hard to say exactly what it is perhaps goals and end product as in assists, just something missing. I don’t think he gets anyone of their seat when he gets the ball, he’s no Naismith that’s for sure.

While we operate a wage structure it could be altered if a player brings additional value to the team, if this mythical 9k was correct Djoum doesn’t imo offer that value to us, if that’s what he wants then let him go he’s no irreplaceable that’s for sure. I’d go as far to say Ryan Edwards offers the same if not more than Djoum in terms of effort and goals/assists.

The club won’t be held to ransom that’s for sure he’ll get a bit of negotiating time but he’ll soon get shown the door if he being unreasonable.

Another way to gauge Djoum is if he signed for Aberdeen or Hibs etc would you fear him that much in their teams, I doubt I would.

Cruyff Turn

Best midfielder by miles.

Wouldn’t be paying him 9k a week. 

I think his demands are fair though. 9k a week for a Cameroon International midfielder is small change these days tbf. 

If he was 26-27, then perhaps we should be chucking those wages at him, but not at 30 with a buggered Achilles. 

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, Rooster20 said:

Agree with all that but I would be disappointed if we paid Djoum 9k, particularly if Souttar & Berra are on 5-6k. At that point as good as Djoum is he isn't worth breaking the bank for.

Agreed, not worth breaking the bank, but if he goes to Aberdeen it will concern me a little. 

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Really?  I would say that's his biggest problem, when the big games come around he always seems to be hiding.

One of the main reasons we are such a long ball team is because Djoum never actually shows for the ball when he does play in the middle.  There is a reason Levein plays him wide because he has no heart for the fight.

I don't doubt his ability but I will be glad to see the back of him.

I'd like him to stay, but not on a wage that we can't afford.

3 teams (outwith the weegies and all their dosh), finished above us in the league without Djoum in their ranks.

If he wants to move on, then he will regretfully go with my blessing and thanks, but also with the knowledge that there are other players out there who can more than fill the gap.

The trick for our management will be finding them.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Mcalford said:

Really?  I would say that's his biggest problem, when the big games come around he always seems to be hiding.

One of the main reasons we are such a long ball team is because Djoum never actually shows for the ball when he does play in the middle.  There is a reason Levein plays him wide because he has no heart for the fight.

I don't doubt his ability but I will be glad to see the back of him.

Can't disagree more.

One of the first available, one of the first to try and make probing pass's always tries to take a touch.

Often get stuck in, in fact sometimes he's a liability.

Doesn't always come off and he is a little inconsistent, but he's Djoum not Iniesta.

He's played wide because no one other centre midfielder would be any use there and even although he's not as good he does it, a lot.

If was so good there a lot of games these past 3 seasons we should have won. 

Can't really recall games he was dominant and won for us. 

20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Can't disagree more.

One of the first available, one of the first to try and make probing pass's always tries to take a touch.

Often get stuck in, in fact sometimes he's a liability.

Doesn't always come off and he is a little inconsistent, but he's Djoum not Iniesta.

He's played wide because no one other centre midfielder would be any use there and even although he's not as good he does it, a lot.

Agree with those points. He is willing to get stuck in and is often our best player in defeats when others have failed around him. His willingness to play anywhere has led to him being utilised wide when we have had no other options available. Always trusted by whoever has been in charge for a reason.

Definite limit to how much you can pay him to stay, particularly if our budget is impacted by less season ticket sales, but very difficult to replace.

Mr Elwood P
4 hours ago, H2 said:

It's all about opinions, isn't it. One thing for sure is that in term of talent Djoum is up there.

The reality though is that if he had the commitment and application he'd be playing for a club that pays a lot more money than Hearts.

For me, he is a luxury we can't afford.

There is not exactly a queue of people wanting him is there, even the Old Firm don't think it's worth the bother.

Players lacking commitment and application don’t usually amass 12 yellow cards over a season. That number of bookings is usually a sign of a playing fighting for the team and being involved in a significant amount of the game.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Players lacking commitment and application don’t usually amass 12 yellow cards over a season. That number of bookings is usually a sign of a playing fighting for the team and being involved in a significant amount of the game.

"Usually" .   

In his case many of the books are pretty inept and stupid, you are left thinking, why did he do that?

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, H2 said:

"Usually" .   

In his case many of the books are pretty inept and stupid, you are left thinking, why did he do that?

Are they? I've been investing in Djoum's penchant for receiving yellow cards all season. Almost every booking has been for clipping a players heels from behind to prevent an attack. Taking one for the team if you ask me.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I like your posts, Olly, but I can't agree.

To me he hides, has no heart or guts for the fight, especially when the going gets tough. 

Having said that, I thought he did well at the cup final. 

I won't miss him and it will be interesting to see where he ends up and how he performs. 

We all see things differently I suppose.

He definitely splits opinion more than most, that's for sure.

……………………….time for another Poll!

Poll! Poll! Poll!:jj:

He is likely replaceable tho and not worth breaking the bank for.

If he goes to Aberdeen I will be concerned, not only because I think we have lost a decent player but more so knowing that a team in our market is paying more than us ( if the rumours are true)

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Agree with those points. He is willing to get stuck in and is often our best player in defeats when others have failed around him. His willingness to play anywhere has led to him being utilised wide when we have had no other options available. Always trusted by whoever has been in charge for a reason.

Definite limit to how much you can pay him to stay, particularly if our budget is impacted by less season ticket sales, but very difficult to replace.

yip, and as you say not worth breaking the bank for, that's for sure.

Think everyone agrees on that.

I really like Djoum as a player and think he is really talented.

One thing I always felt was that he was maybe a bit of a journeyman who didn't car much or identify with the club. Recent interviews with him have changed my opinion a bit on that and seeing his reaction at full time in the cup final made me see him in another light. He cares.

That said, I wouldn't pay him a huge amount as I think in our league we'd be better served with a less skillful battler paired up with someone who can offer more in attack than Djoum does. I think he could play at a higher level in a more 'refined' league but that doesn't necessarily represent value for money for us.

A lot of pages and comments about such a simple premise, if the club can afford him he will stay, if he wants more than we will pay he will leave, much like every contract negotiation 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, BigAlim said:

A lot of pages and comments about such a simple premise, if the club can afford him he will stay, if he wants more than we will pay he will leave, much like every contract negotiation 

I think the determining factor will be what another club is willing to offer. If he can get a move to France or England and get £10k p/w he will be away, if not I think he will be happy to stay.

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Are they? I've been investing in Djoum's penchant for receiving yellow cards all season. Almost every booking has been for clipping a players heels from behind to prevent an attack. Taking one for the team if you ask me.

Yes. No idea why you would want to invest in anyone's desire for yellow cards, but hey, whatever rocks your boat, I hope your investment was not too great. 

There is no point in debating this, you won't change from being a Djoum lover, and I won't  change from looking at it in the best interests of Hearts?

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I really like Djoum as a player and think he is really talented.

One thing I always felt was that he was maybe a bit of a journeyman who didn't car much or identify with the club. Recent interviews with him have changed my opinion a bit on that and seeing his reaction at full time in the cup final made me see him in another light. He cares.

That said, I wouldn't pay him a huge amount as I think in our league we'd be better served with a less skillful battler paired up with someone who can offer more in attack than Djoum does. I think he could play at a higher level in a more 'refined' league but that doesn't necessarily represent value for money for us.

Great point, a more effective but less skilled/ technical player might be the answer at our level.

Callaghan( sp) was one that I think we treid of that ilk, he had a great knack of getting forward, he was just far too poor technically for the top flight.

However, Djoum with Bryson, Naismith, Walker might make us a more refined side and improve us overall.

That is the challenge for a  side like us I guess, getting a team of refined, more technical players so we see the benefits of it as a team.

Having one or two isn't always effective as they get brought down or look lost, having 7/8 is.

Mr Elwood P
Just now, H2 said:

Yes. No idea why you would want to invest in anyone's desire for yellow cards, but hey, whatever rocks your boat, I hope your investment was not too great. 

There is no point in debating this, you won't change from being a Djoum lover, and I won't  change from looking at it in the best interests of Hearts?

The same reason that you would invest in a team to win or a player to score - value. The investments were largely a success so not sure why you hope the investment was small? Not sure being completely oblivious to what Djoum brings to the team is 'in the best interests of Hearts'?