Supermarkets and Foodbank Donations.

been here before

been here before

Now this might just be me but...

Aside from the obsene fact many people in 2019 are still reliant on foodbanks, I cant help but feel the supermarkets are making the most of it. There's hardly a supermarket these days that doesnt have a food bank donations box by the tills.

Now if Ive got this right it just doesnt sit right with me. It seems to me that they are essentially they're praying on those who cant afford to feed themselves and the desire people have to help, whilst theyre still making a nice profit out of it.

Seems wrong to me.

will-i-am-a-jambo
19 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aside from the obsene fact many people in 2019 are still reliant on foodbanks, I cant help but feel the supermarkets are making the most of it. There's hardly a supermarket these days that doesnt have a food bank donations box by the tills.

Now if Ive got this right it just doesnt sit right with me. It seems to me that they are essentially they're praying on those who cant afford to feed themselves and the desire people have to help, whilst theyre still making a nice profit out of it.

Seems wrong to me.

I can see your point but l suspect it's a convenient and easy way for the food bank to collect the food. You can always buy the food in alternative shops and take them to the nearest collection point if you're not happy with the idea that the collecting supermarket is making a gain from it. For instance at Christmas l bought food from Lidl as its cheaper and carried the food to a Tesco food bank. Even better still take it directly to the food bank. What other suggestions do you have?

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Pretty sure Tesco monitor what is donated in store and actually add a percentage as a top up.

They do. As with others, they are raising awareness and facilitating easy donation to the food banks. Of course, they do get the revenue from sales of items that people donate. On a net basis, they are probably making a positive contribution, and criticism is misplaced. 

Harry Potter

Should be foodbanks at every street corner , what a state this country is in that we need them.

Its 2019 but folk are hungry, councils need to help big time,

indianajones

Would be good if big supermarkets dished out the waste at the end of the day to those in need. 

About 90% of it is absolutely fine. 

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Seems wrong to me.

The supermarkets are very much invested in major foodbank charities as is the government.

56 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Would be good if big supermarkets dished out the waste at the end of the day to those in need. 

Shops can't pass on out of date food for H&S reasons; one case of food poisoning blamed on something dodgy and the HSE would be all over the store.

There's a charity called Fareshare who collect surplus food from producers, supermarkets, bakeries and other places and pass it on to foodbanks and other groups and organisations helping vulnerable people. I was in their depot in Jane Street last year and what they had in there was amazing. The food they pass on equates to something like 15000 meals a week, which puts some sort of scale on the problem. The last I heard, they were supposed to be starting some partnership with Tesco, where certain charities can pick up free food direct from their stores. 

Small part of a bigger problem. Does the OP think supermarkets should be prevented from hosting collection points?

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

I believe in France it is now law that supermarkets must distribute " waste" food to the needy , that is my understanding anyway.

17 hours ago, indianajones said:

Aye - their staff take it...

But seriously, yep something needs done.

Our house is no different, the amount if food two of us waste...

been here before
19 hours ago, graygo said:

They are but the op's point I think was that Tesco get the sale of the goods that are donated in the store. (most of them anyway) 

Aye kind of. It just seems a bit like having sweeties and magazines at the till so you're pressured or guilt tripped into buying something for the bairn...

...but a lot more ethically wrong. 'Dont forget your box of cornflakes for the hungry, poor folk. Buy them from us...'.

gashauskis9
22 hours ago, indianajones said:

They’d have to get passed the middle class arseholes who hog the reduced to clear section at night first.